HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez in NY Post

Old
09-14-2007, 04:18 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Gomez in NY Post

Talk about putting unnecessary pressure on the team and himself:

"I think the expectations are high and they should be," said Gomez, who crossed the Hudson from the Devils. "Anything else but a Stanley Cup this year and we didn't do our job."

Here's the link:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09142007...e_distance.htm

Nice to see him complimenting Jagr too.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Ola

NYRJurgen- I agree with you.

Been thinking about making some kind of big pre-season post with thoughts ect on the team. Though I got a hard time getting a grip on things.

However, I find it really unlikely that this team the first 3-4 month -- atleast -- will be better then the team we saw scramble into the PO's and sweep Atlanta.

IMO, thats not something earthshattering, we will see changes on 3 centerpositions. We where in a tremendous form late last season (best in the entire league). Though, this team will defenitly be compared with last years by media, and I defenitly can see some unnecessary pressure amount if we struggle early on.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:01 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Been thinking about making some kind of big pre-season post with thoughts ect on the team. Though I got a hard time getting a grip on things.

However, I find it really unlikely that this team the first 3-4 month -- atleast -- will be better then the team we saw scramble into the PO's and sweep Atlanta.

IMO, thats not something earthshattering, we will see changes on 3 centerpositions. We where in a tremendous form late last season (best in the entire league). Though, this team will defenitly be compared with last years by media, and I defenitly can see some unnecessary pressure amount if we struggle early on.
Ola, thats why we dont need to creat unecessary pressure! (thank you Gomez!)

This team will at some point have teething troubles and will need to gel. When you have replaced such important positions there will obviosuly be a settling in period, no matter how good the new players are (as are Drury etc)

I would be delighted if after 10 games we're 5-3-2....

Old
09-14-2007, 05:53 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Some of the concerns being voiced here are nonsense. If you can't state your goal and have it be a realistic goal, then I think you are kidding yourself. If you want to be a champion you have to have the confidence to discuss the goal without fear. You have to look the prize in the eye.

If we, as a team, can't handle talking about the ultimate goal, a stanley cup, there is noway they can handle the actual pressure. This is an exercise in dealing with the pressure you put on yourself as a player and as a team in seeking hockey's holy grail! bring on the cup!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 06:04 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Some of the concerns being voiced here are nonsense. If you can't state your goal and have it be a realistic goal, then I think you are kidding yourself. If you want to be a champion you have to have the confidence to discuss the goal without fear. You have to look the prize in the eye.

If we, as a team, can't handle talking about the ultimate goal, a stanley cup, there is noway they can handle the actual pressure. This is an exercise in dealing with the pressure you put on yourself as a player and as a team in seeking hockey's holy grail! bring on the cup!
there is nothing wrong about having confidence and abition and stating your goal etc... but there are the correct times and places and arenas to voice those goals in. Shouting it from the roof tops just gives people more scope to criticise, to take aim at you and to knock you off your perch etc...

Look at the NFL... half of what Terrell Owens does is purely trash talk, i.e ' i am the best' etc etc... when he doesnt have a great game, he gets slated by the mdeia...

Basically he creates unecessary attention from the mdeia for his team.

Im all for confidence and im delighted Gomez has the attitude that we have to go for the cup, but theres ways of putting that message out there.

Old
09-14-2007, 06:14 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Not only did he bolt for Manhattan with bags of money, he stole the Devils motto as well.
Gomez wont have any problems im afraid

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Ola

Atlanta- You got a good point, but I still wouldn't mind if they kept it a little more in the group.

You cannot underestimate how hard it is just to make the PO's in the east.

Look at Ottawa's struggles last season. They where what, around 10-11th in the east after more then half of the season. Just because they had the marginals against them little early on. We struggled a ton.

There will be so small marginals at the start. I think we got a good enough group to make it despite getting a bad start, its not that, but why add extra pressure during a period (the start of the season) where you got allot to loose but nothing really to win?

Old
09-14-2007, 07:32 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Atlanta- You got a good point, but I still wouldn't mind if they kept it a little more in the group.

You cannot underestimate how hard it is just to make the PO's in the east.

Look at Ottawa's struggles last season. They where what, around 10-11th in the east after more then half of the season. Just because they had the marginals against them little early on. We struggled a ton.

There will be so small marginals at the start. I think we got a good enough group to make it despite getting a bad start, its not that, but why add extra pressure during a period (the start of the season) where you got allot to loose but nothing really to win?
exactly what i was saying ola.

I think we can go very deep in the playoffs if/when we get there too, but there's no need to shout it off the roof tops just yet

Old
09-14-2007, 07:36 AM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post

i agree, you have to shoot for the moon and personelly i like that attitude.
plus that's nothing that i have not heard from gomer before and that mindset seemed to work for the devils.
anything less and you will surely come up short and every good athlete should feel that way if they are a winner or at least want to be one.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 07:50 AM
JR#9*

Gomez is simply stating that anything short of a Cup would be a dissapointment and that should clearly be the case.

What should he say, our goal is to get past the 2nd round this year, of course not.

He's not guaranteeing anything of chest-thumping about how great they are, he simply stating that anything short of the cup will be disappointing and that should be the case of any team with a reasonable shot at making the playoffs.

No big deal.

I hope Scotty really steps up his game as you know he's pumped about playing with Jagr.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
a little brown nose job by Jagr (slats) and Gomez (Jagr).

For me the key is Lundy. He will be asked to play Brodeur kind of share of the games.
He must stay injury free. And he needs to improve yet again.....He is excellent but
he is not yet in the Mike Richter zone....

Also Prucha, Hossa need to step it up otherwise say good bye to Broadway

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
i agree, you have to shoot for the moon and personelly i like that attitude.

plus that's nothing that i have not heard from gomer before and that mindset seemed to work for the devils.

anything less and you will surely come up short and every good athlete should feel that way if they are a winner or at least want to be one.
I think it will be almost impossible for this team to fullfill thoose expectations right from the get go. I think it will be extremely hard for us to be top 3 in the east after 10-20 games; after 82 I think we got a great chance to take our division though.

Hence why I wouldn't mind if they talked about the Cup in the group, though basically saying that anything but a Cup is a failuring will defenitly put more pressure on this team if we only starts 12-8 in our first 20 games.

I think a averge start for us will is what we should hope for, a pair of games over .500. The competition is so strong that 3 new centers, new PK and new PP units defenitly will come back and hunt you if your goal is to go 15-5 in the first 20.

Old
09-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Gomez is simply stating that anything short of a Cup would be a dissapointment and that should clearly be the case.

What should he say, our goal is to get past the 2nd round this year, of course not.

He's not guaranteeing anything of chest-thumping about how great they are, he simply stating that anything short of the cup will be disappointing and that should be the case of any team with a reasonable shot at making the playoffs.

No big deal.

I hope Scotty really steps up his game as you know he's pumped about playing with Jagr.
Why not "The east and the Atlantic is very tough and we have to give it 110% from the start or we could get into trouble". "We got allot of new pieces and our priority is to get together as a team and give 110% every night".

Or something like that.

Old
09-14-2007, 08:00 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
a little brown nose job by Jagr (slats) and Gomez (Jagr).

For me the key is Lundy. He will be asked to play Brodeur kind of share of the games.
He must stay injury free. And he needs to improve yet again.....He is excellent but
he is not yet in the Mike Richter zone....

Also Prucha, Hossa need to step it up otherwise say good bye to Broadway
LR,

i actually think Henrik IS at Mike's level already. The only thing he's missing is the experience...with that hopefully comes a cup in the future. After all, we're talking about a 2 time Vezina finalist and an OLympic champion... not bad for 25 yr old.

Old
09-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Choice

Quote:

The thing is it doesn't really matter what we do in the first couple months of the season as long as we don't totally bomb. All that's going to be remembered (like last year) is what this team does in the playoffs.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 08:13 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Why not "The east and the Atlantic is very tough and we have to give it 110% from the start or we could get into trouble". "We got allot of new pieces and our priority is to get together as a team and give 110% every night".

Or something like that.
why would you want to start the year with negative thoughts and excuses about all the new faces?

The fact of the matter is the expectations are high and with a vet team like they have they all know the work that needs to be put in to be a successful team.

Gomez and the rest of the bunch knows that there are some really good teams out there who also feel anything short of a Cup would be a dissapointment and the NYR's are amoung those teams.

Again, it's not like he said that they are the best team and should have any sort of cake walk or anything like that.He simply stated the Cup is this teams goal and anything less would be not accomplishing their goal and IMO that's the way it should be.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Choice

Quote:
Gomez and the rest of the bunch knows that there are some really good teams out there who also feel anything short of a Cup would be a dissapointment and the NYR's are amoung those teams.
San Jose? Who else?

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 08:27 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
San Jose? Who else?
IF (big IF) either of Selanne or Niedermeyer return i'd think Anaheim would expect to get back to the finals, they'd be stacked.

Ottawa would fancy their chances as do Detroit who have quietly done well i nthe off season...and Sopel as a try out at their camp could be a steal.

Old
09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
San Jose? Who else?
The Sens.

09-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
LR,

i actually think Henrik IS at Mike's level already. The only thing he's missing is the experience...with that hopefully comes a cup in the future. After all, we're talking about a 2 time Vezina finalist and an OLympic champion... not bad for 25 yr old.
and can he stay healthy?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
why would you want to start the year with negative thoughts and excuses about all the new faces?

The fact of the matter is the expectations are high and with a vet team like they have they all know the work that needs to be put in to be a successful team.

Again, it's not like he said that they are the best team and should have any sort of cake walk or anything like that.He simply stated the Cup is this teams goal and anything less would be not accomplishing their goal and IMO that's the way it should be.
You got a point, but thats not my philosophy.

I am a underdog kind of guy...

Seriously though, its like the word pressure and NYR don't go allong very well. There never seems to be any pressure, just panic.

Last year I think the panic hurt guys like Prucha and Malik for example. We didn't go in to the PO's with 19 confident players. Girardi, Avery, Nyls, JJ, Shanahan and Roszival where the only ones who seemed to be really confident.

At the same time, I think Gomez comments will have a marginal effect on things, its not like we went from beeing a underdog to beeing "the" contender because he said what he did. We went out and got the 2 biggest UFA on the market, its impossible to avoid pressure.

Though when we now are discussing it, I wouldn't mind if we held our horses some. You don't win cups in September.

Old
09-14-2007, 08:49 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
and can he stay healthy?
LR, im going to go on history on this one, and apart from a brief head cold before and during his 1st playoff appearance i think he's proved he can. he's already proved he can handle big and extended workloads.

Fingers crossed he continues it. He hasnt had an injury keep him from playing for a prolonged period... i'd like to think if managed well it'll continue. We just need to avoid burn out.

Old
09-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

"Anything else but a Stanley Cup this year and we didn't do our job."

Thats NJ Devils speak and to be honest, something I admire.

There is one goal and that is to WIN IT ALL.

09-14-2007, 09:09 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
"Anything else but a Stanley Cup this year and we didn't do our job."

Thats NJ Devils speak and to be honest, something I admire.

There is one goal and that is to WIN IT ALL.
as there should be, and i agree - all im saying is that you open yourself up to criticsim if you shout it off the roof tops. cant they say that in the dressing room?

Old
09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Nothing in that statement sounds arrogant to me....just positive and thinking like a winner.

The comments they need to be careful of are the ones that call out OTHER teams as less than they are. Thats negative and will more times than not, come back to haunt you

Positive = winner

Negative = loser

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote