HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Rangers(Cullen and Rachunek)news

Old
09-14-2007, 01:10 PM
danroy33

vCash: 500
At what point does on ice performance come into play? The Rangers would have made an offer if Rachunek played well at all and Cullen never filled the second line center role which his major contract essentially stipulated.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 01:37 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/640849.html

The guy had one good year and he thinks he is Adam Oates

As was pointed out earlier,his 41 point season was his average season

Why was Cullen so unhappy last season?

In Carolina,he was and is once again stuck behind Staal and Brind'Amour.3rd line center
I don't get this comment. That's all he is, was or ever will be. He's not a 2nd line center and I think he knows it, but he will get alot more use in certain offensive roles that he wasn't getting here in NY.

I think one of the reasons he was un-happy was that he had grown accustomed to being used in a certain manner that would help bring out some of the things that made him a good and useful player in Carolina and probably was told that he would be used in a similar fashion here in NY and when that didn't happen, may have felt lied to.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Chimp

Cullen is a great 3rd line center, but $2.875 for a 3rd liner is stretching it a bit too far in a cap salary world.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 02:09 PM
polako

I'm bummed that he was traded. As Sing'n implied, he produced exactly what an objective expectation would have forecasted. Add to that his speed and versatility, and the fact that he totally raised his game when paired with similar linemates, and it makes me believe that his trade was nothing but a matter of the salary cap. Whether it's a good trade or not, we'll have to wait and see

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
it always seemed clear to me that being a Ranger was never much of a priority to Rachunek.
Yup.

The guy is a Depth defensemen, nothing to panic on.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Cullen is a great 3rd line center, but $2.875 for a 3rd liner is stretching it a bit too far in a cap salary world.
But, you know what? He didn't hold a gun to Sather's head and say you have to sign me. The guy is 30 years old and is a veteran in the NHL--what you see is what you get at this point in Cullen's career. If he was signed for too much or used in a way that did not maximize his skills, that is not Cullen's fault.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

wow cullen is the first ranger that i know of whom wanted to leave.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
The Thomas J.*

Cullen enver fit this system, not until he was slotted into the 3rd line & used on the point of the PP, which was exaxtly how the Canes used him after the trade dealine the year they won the cup.

Its no big deal, its not like cullen dogged it everynight, he played hard, Carolina is just a better fit for his style of play in that particular system, Ive no I'll will against Cullen & wish him all the best.

Rachunek on the other hand, showed he could be a steady defensemen with streaks of brillance, but thats about it, I was very happy when he was cut lose. I agree with another poster who said he hid in Russia for a season because he was afraid of the
"Big City"

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 12:42 AM
NYR Viper

both i thought didnt fit into the system very well...period

cullen, who supposedly had a good snap-shot could never hit the net, and if he did, it mostly hit the goalie in the chest and rachunek looked lost in his own end at times

wish them both luck, except rachunek because he went to the devils and im glad they are gone because we are definately upgraded and have enough young talent to plug any holes there are

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Chimp

"How about Gomez for Rachunek and Weekes?" Fair trade.

Old
09-15-2007, 04:01 AM
Kostik

Just about Rachunek, i think his behaviour this off season was quite normal and ok - didn't want to play here first, then after one season he wanted to stay here and play for the Rangers....it's understandable that he was mad when Rangers showed no interest in him...
Well, his performance and abundance of defensmen here is another story

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 05:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Just about Rachunek, i think his behaviour this off season was quite normal and ok - didn't want to play here first, then after one season he wanted to stay here and play for the Rangers....it's understandable that he was mad when Rangers showed no interest in him...
I don't agree. He was not happy when he was traded to the Rangers from the Sens. He played in Europe the first season after the lockout. Once he saw that the Rangers were good he decided to come back.

He's a fair-weather player.

09-15-2007, 05:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't agree. He was not happy when he was traded to the Rangers from the Sens. He played in Europe the first season after the lockout. Once he saw that the Rangers were good he decided to come back.

He's a fair-weather player.
thats an excellent description of him.

He certainyl isnt one that you need when the going gets tough in the playoffs. I never liked him in NY and was delighted that we didnt offer him a qualifier... though i was surprised that we didnt as Sather has a habit of stock piling assets to deal - i think that in itself says how lowly KR was thought of , in that they didnt even look to keep him to trade him.

Good riddance and cant wait til #68 burns him game in game out.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
In his defence, the Rangers did mis-use him.

He's not a 2nd line center, never has been. The fact that we tried to force that role upon him pretty much put him in prime position to fail.

Additionally, it did seem like Renney was reluctant to use him at the point on the PP which is what helped make him so valuable while in Carolina.

I just think that the expectations that some fans had when he was signed were un-realistic in that they were expecting a certain type of player and we were not getting that type of player in Cullen.
I tend to agree with that though I think the article itself got it wrong.

It's a shame because I think Cullen would have been in his ideal role this season and could've been a key contributer.

Unfortunatly last year, expectations just went through the roof for this guy. I remember arguing against projections of 30 goals and 65-70 points.

Cullen is a 15-25 goal, 40-50 point player who plays his best behind two gifted centers. He can fill in for them for a short period, he can play in different situations and he can play the wing as needed. To me it's just like Chris Drury being an ideal second line center playing behind a guy who scores.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
But, you know what? He didn't hold a gun to Sather's head and say you have to sign me. The guy is 30 years old and is a veteran in the NHL--what you see is what you get at this point in Cullen's career. If he was signed for too much or used in a way that did not maximize his skills, that is not Cullen's fault.
No, but Sather didn't give Cullen $2.875 per year to be a 3rd liner, he gave him those money with the hope that he would be able to center the 2nd line with Prucha and Shanahan. It was a total failure. Cullen wasn't as good in some aspects as Sather hoped.

Old
09-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
It wasn't a fun year by any means. It was a tough year. I'm really thrilled to have a second chance here."

because god knows making the playoffs isn't fun....
I guess its not fun when you win the cup one year then get bounced in the 2nd round the next

I liked Cullen, but if he really didn't like being here and wasn't having fun last season, then good riddance.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No, but Sather didn't give Cullen $2.875 per year to be a 3rd liner, he gave him those money with the hope that he would be able to center the 2nd line with Prucha and Shanahan. It was a total failure. Cullen wasn't as good in some aspects as Sather hoped.
Once again, why did Sather assume/hope that Cullen would somehow breakout at age 30? Cullen tried very hard to succeed on the ice, but, in the end, wasn't put in a position to succeed, based on his past--what was there to suggest that he'd suddenly become more than he'd ever been before?

Again, the fact that Cullen didn't fit in last year is not his fault, ditto the fact that he signed for too much.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Barnaby

At first I was a bit dissapointed by him... in the end though I was a big fan. I feel bad the NYR brass had to deal him. I think he would have been great this year centering a 3rd line with Avery and Callahan.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Once again, why did Sather assume/hope that Cullen would somehow breakout at age 30? Cullen tried very hard to succeed on the ice, but, in the end, wasn't put in a position to succeed, based on his past--what was there to suggest that he'd suddenly become more than he'd ever been before?

Again, the fact that Cullen didn't fit in last year is not his fault, ditto the fact that he signed for too much.
Correct, we're not in a position to blame Cullen for anything. It was a miscalculation by NYR management. They saw him in Carolina and thought you could transform his success as a pointman on the PP as potential playmaking abilities on a 2nd line (and taking the next step becoming a legit top 6 player). It was obviously not that simple.

Had Cullen's salary been more reasonable, (UFA signings are seldom that) he would probably still play here. Some teams can afford an excellent $2.875 3rd line center, we couldn't - this season.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-19-2007 at 06:20 AM.