HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley trade value

Old
09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
The Fuhr

vCash: 500
Heatley trade value

He is a UFA at seasons end
Coming off back to back 50 goal seasons

Let's say the Sens were worried they could not retain him due to the cap beyond this season what kind of offers would they get for Heatley.

Has a 4.5 million dollar cap hit this season.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
His last trade cost Hossa, who at the time was of equivalent or perhaps slightly greater value. There aren't too many guys of equivalent or greater value out there now.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Think the Ryan Smyth trade and then add a bunch more stuff.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:13 AM
barfy2000

For the first back to back 50goal/100point scorer since Lemieux...I'd say his value is almost unparallelled in the league. I could pick maybe 5 guys who have more value than him. Plus a few others (Sakic or Modano for example who aren't going anywhere because of their relationship with the franchise)

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
discostu

I would hate to see any trade that weakens this team's chances at a cup run this season, and, there isn't any reasonable deal that can be made, IMO, that sees Heatley get traded off this team, that can achieve that.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

I think it'd be one of those trades that really hurt both teams.

Just on the subject though, man it'd be sick having Heatley next to Crosby. Sick.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson T View Post

Just on the subject though, man it'd be sick having Heatley next to Crosby. Sick.
Yeah but I wouldn't want to give up what it would take to get Heatley here for 1 cup run.

Heatley is most valuable to the Sens so having him play out his contract might be the best scenario come the deadline.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
JackBauer

Quote:

yeah it would be..what would you need for crosby

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:

Salary Cap??

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Torres, Pitkanen(provided he rebounds by the trade deadline), ANA 1st, and Schremp?

09-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Skyblaze

Let's play fantasyland a bit here and say the Pens could offer Malkin straight up for Heatley. I think they'd stand very good chances of locking Dany up long term. Reasonable for either teams?

I'm thinking far-fetched but not entirely impossible if the Sens should somehow give up on re-signing Heatley.

I still don't think they'll trade him though, it would be quite a loss for the Sens.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 11:14 AM
DaveMatthew

If Heatley makes it clear the he's not going to go the Thornton/Iginla route to take a little less to stay in a great situation but instead will go to the highest bidder, then Murray has to at least investigate the notion of making a trade. Doesn't mean he has to do it, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't see what was out there.

People, keep in mind when making these proposals that Heatley is a 26 year old who's just come off two 50 goal/100 point seasons and 34 points in 30 playoff games. He's a bonafide top 5 NHL player who hasn't even hit his prime. You're certainly not going to get him for 1 decent NHLer and some future assets.

I'd look at something like (purely hypothetical), Alexander Frolov + Jack Johnson in terms of a return.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
Let's play fantasyland a bit here and say the Pens could offer Malkin straight up for Heatley. I think they'd stand very good chances of locking Dany up long term. Reasonable for either teams?

I'm thinking far-fetched but not entirely impossible if the Sens should somehow give up on re-signing Heatley.

I still don't think they'll trade him though, it would be quite a loss for the Sens.
That would be an interesting idea, pending Heatley signed an extension prior to the trade. Gives the Pens and elite winger to play with Crosby, and gives the Sens an elite center to have a great 1 2 punch with Spezza.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Julian2890

vCash: 480
If Briere got 10M, Heat can get WAY! more~!

Julian2890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian2890 View Post
If Briere got 10M, Heat can get WAY! more~!
Briere's cap hit is actually only 6.5 million. Yes, he'll make 10 million this year, but he'll only be making 2 million in the final season of the deal.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post

heatley's one of the best players in the league but from a pens pov i don't give up malkin for anyone. a likely 100 pt guy on an entry level contract is invaluable.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:07 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
a likely 100 pt guy on an entry level contract is invaluable.
It's worth noting that Heatley's cap hit this year is only $600K more than Malkin's. We're not dealing with a major salary discrepancy.

Old
09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Maxpac

personnaly i woudn't do it but i think he's atleast worth Latendresse, Kostitsyn and a 1st

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Skyblaze

His point does make sense if you look at next season (and the one after that? I'm unsure how many years Malkin has left on his deal) with Malkin at entry level versus Heatley at potentially 8M$(?) of cap hit. You can get a pretty swell player on your team with the difference.

I still think it's not outside the realm of possibility when you think about Heater playing on Crosby's wing. Guy gets 60G at least and could reach 70? How awesome would that be?

I proposed it as I think it'd be the kind of deal where both team stand to benefit from it. However I'm calling it fantasyland because there's no sign of Ottawa completely giving up on re-signing Heatley.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
It's worth noting that Heatley's cap hit this year is only $600K more than Malkin's. We're not dealing with a major salary discrepancy.
yeah but if he's not extending with ottawa, it probably means he'll be looking to make 9 million as early as next year. malkin is 6 years from UFA.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
personnaly i woudn't do it but i think he's atleast worth Latendresse, Kostitsyn and a 1st
You wouldn't do that? I don't believe it.

For MTL (a divisional rival) to acquire Heatley, they would have to offer Price + Higgins.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Jiri Tlusty, Kyle Wellwood, Matt Stajan, 1st Round Pick, 2nd round pick.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
You wouldn't do that? I don't believe it.

For MTL (a divisional rival) to acquire Heatley, they would have to offer Price + Higgins.
Price is out of the question, and why don't you believe it? Kosty and tender both have 1st line potential, so that's 2 1st line wingers and another one possibly with the pick, add to that Heatly probably asking for something like 10mil a season next summer, with no Latendresse we have no powerforward on th team and Kosty is the most talented prospect we have since Koivu, i won't do it but i still think that it's probably fair value

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Price is out of the question, and why don't you believe it? Kosty and tender both have 1st line potential, so that's 2 1st line wingers and another one possibly with the pick, add to that Heatly probably asking for something like 10mil a season next summer, with no Latendresse we have no powerforward on th team and Kosty is the most talented prospect we have since Koivu, i won't do it but i still think that it's probably fair value
MTL wouldn't give up Price + Higgins. That's the point. If Heatley is traded, it won't be within the division, unless an insane return is offerred.

How did you turn Kost + Lats + pick into 3 first line wingers? That's quite the assumption. They are prospects. Heatley is the real deal.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:37 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
yeah but if he's not extending with ottawa, it probably means he'll be looking to make 9 million as early as next year. malkin is 6 years from UFA.
Yes, but the gap between RFA and UFA is pretty slim at this point. Vanek at $7M, and Crosby signing at $8.7M has certainly changed the landscape for first time RFAs.

But, this is a tangent though. The uncertainty of whether Heatley would sign an extension is enough to not want to trade. I'm just pointing out that the salary levels of the two players are likely going to be very comparable over few years.