HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Do coaches get olympic medals?

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
Do coaches get olympic medals?

If a coach's team medals in the olympics, does that coach get a medal too? As far as I know, in individual sports only the athlete gets a medal.

Old
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Coaches don't get medals in any Olympic event, so no, they don't.

Old
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
puck swami

In 1980, Herb Brooks 'unofficially' received one of the 'extra' gold medals they keep around in case of ties, etc. One of the people on the Lake Placid Olympic Organizing Commitee made sure he got it.

But officially, no. They don't get on the podium - only athletes.

Old
11-26-2007, 08:06 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
If a coach's team medals in the olympics, does that coach get a medal too? As far as I know, in individual sports only the athlete gets a medal.
I can't remember the details, and perhaps somebody can better tell the story but I remember hearing about a Russian hockey coach taking the backup goaltenders.

Old
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob_slapman View Post
I can't remember the details, and perhaps somebody can better tell the story but I remember hearing about a Russian hockey coach taking the backup goaltenders.
Russian coach Viktor Tikhonov took Nikolai Khabibulin's Gold Medal after the '92 Olympics.

Old
11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Night_Vole

yea i heard bout that as well, wasnt sure if it was true though, guess it explains why he was relectunt to play for the russia national team for a while.

Old
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
LacrosseOnIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
UPDATE - THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION HAS CHANGED:

Well, sort of. The Olympic Games does not and will not directly reward any coaches with medals.

However, beginning with this year's Summer Olympic Games, The US Olympic Committee will honor coaches of winning athletes and teams with their own medal known as "The Order of Ikkos."

An article was just published today about it:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/134492.html

Other countries have long rewarded coaches of Olympic medalists with awards and financial payouts (For instance, in the UK, coaches of gold medal swimmers get 10,000 pounds, silver nets 7,500, and bronze earns 5,000), so the creation of some sort of recognition for US coaches is welcome news - and it can only serve to keep us more competitive in international competition.

Old
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Yabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Russian coach Viktor Tikhonov took Nikolai Khabibulin's Gold Medal after the '92 Olympics.

And if I'm not mistaken that is also the reason why Khabibulin has closed the door on the Russian national team.

Old
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacrosseOnIce View Post
UPDATE - THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION HAS CHANGED:

Well, sort of. The Olympic Games does not and will not directly reward any coaches with medals.

However, beginning with this year's Summer Olympic Games, The US Olympic Committee will honor coaches of winning athletes and teams with their own medal known as "The Order of Ikkos."

An article was just published today about it:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/134492.html

Other countries have long rewarded coaches of Olympic medalists with awards and financial payouts (For instance, in the UK, coaches of gold medal swimmers get 10,000 pounds, silver nets 7,500, and bronze earns 5,000), so the creation of some sort of recognition for US coaches is welcome news - and it can only serve to keep us more competitive in international competition.
In typical hockey tradition, Hockey Canada made up rings for all the coaches/training staff/management for the gold medal team in 2002.

Old
11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Kharlamov17

While coaches and staff do not receive medals from the International Olympic Committee, I can confirm that they (along with the players) began receiving medals from the IIHF at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Closed Thread