HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR games in HD...home and away

Old
09-15-2007, 08:37 AM
wereback

vCash: 500
NYR games in HD...home and away

Just wanted to see if MSG will be showing away game in HD like the YES network does with Cablevision and the Yanks. It would would be great if all games this year are in HD. Any idea?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 08:39 AM
nyrmetros

Anyone know how to hook up a hd twcnyc cable box in 1 room to a 24" acer x241W computer monitor in another room?

Someone's gotta know this tech stuff.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 08:41 AM
patnyrnyg

A long cable wire with some kind of modulator?

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 08:45 AM
alucard

get a HDMI to DVI cable, assuimng the twc box has an HDMI output. Search google HDMI-DVI cable. That might work, if at all possible.

As far as the HD goes the away arenas need to have HD cameras to capature the action for there to be a HD feed. I really hope MSG carries the HD feed since it looks so much better.

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:14 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
High quality HDMI can get up to 15 meters. If you get cat 5 or fiberoptic based cable you can get up to 100 meters. The problem is these are all going to be expensive!! It is probably over (at least) 100 bucks just for a 15 meter HDMI cable, I saw one place listing them as high as 220. I'm not sure using a DVI cable helps much in terms of price, I looked at one that for 15 meters of DVI it was $170.

Edit: 15 meters is around 50 feet.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:20 AM
nyrmetros

wow, I thought a $50 cable would just set me up. damn it.

Old
09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
wow, I thought a $50 cable would just set me up. damn it.
Keep in mind, HDMI (best quality) and DVI (second best) are the top end cables. You could get away with component cables which are going to be cheaper. They are HD capable but will lower the quality. The difference in video quality is noticeable but not awful imo. The sound quality will be lower but if you aren't real picky (not looking for perfect surround sound and true HD) you can just jack up the volume. A 15 meter component cable from RCA is only like 30 dollars.

You may be better off moving your cable box to the HD TV and running a coaxial cable back to your standard def tv. That coax is cheap and the distance won't be an issue. You'd have to figure out a way to easily change the channels though heh. Or maybe you get a coax cable long enough to allow you to bring the cable box to the hd monitor when you need it and just plug it in with a 3 foot hdmi cable (30 dollars).

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 10:52 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Anyone know how to hook up a hd twcnyc cable box in 1 room to a 24" acer x241W computer monitor in another room?

Someone's gotta know this tech stuff.
How many feet away is the monitor from the cable box? What kind of connections does the monitor have? Does is have a DVI or component input?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How many feet away is the monitor from the cable box? What kind of connections does the monitor have? Does is have a DVI or component input?
The Acer x241W has dvi component. the cable box is not that far away from the computer, but I would have to drill a hole through a wall and run the wire next to the cable modem wire.

Old
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The Acer x241W has dvi component. the cable box is not that far away from the computer, but I would have to drill a hole through a wall and run the wire next to the cable modem wire.
Are you ok with drilling the hole, or would you rather run the cable around the wall from the next room?

Old
09-15-2007, 11:03 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Are you ok with drilling the hole, or would you rather run the cable around the wall from the next room?
there already is a hole for the cable modem cable, I would want to run that other wire right next to it. I would need to expand that hole for the new wire though.

Old
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
blue2noise

Guys, don't get ripped off with cables. I am building a home theater and I order from where the insatllers get them.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

50 foot HDMI cable for 88 bucks. The rest for dirt cheap and VERY high quality.

10 foot HDMI cables are 6 bucks!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 11:10 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Guys, don't get ripped off with cables. I am building a home theater and I order from where the insatllers get them.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

50 foot HDMI cable for 88 bucks. The rest for dirt cheap and VERY high quality.

10 foot HDMI cables are 6 bucks!
Yup, monoprice is the best.

Old
09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Yup, monoprice is the best.
Blue,

From your posts I see you are a HT enthusiast too. We need to chat. I am doing construction on my theater now. Are you on AVS?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Casmatt

To answer the original post: I doubt it, because they'll probably need the HD cameras for Knicks home games. Then again, they could probably just buy more cameras. Hell, I have no idea.

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 07:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Blue,

From your posts I see you are a HT enthusiast too. We need to chat. I am doing construction on my theater now. Are you on AVS?
Yes, been there for a while with the same username. Mostly hang out in the FP, Local HD, HDTV Programming, HD DVD Player/Software, Receivers, and Xbox forums.

Old
09-16-2007, 07:08 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
get a HDMI to DVI cable, assuimng the twc box has an HDMI output. Search google HDMI-DVI cable. That might work, if at all possible.

As far as the HD goes the away arenas need to have HD cameras to capature the action for there to be a HD feed. I really hope MSG carries the HD feed since it looks so much better.
we got HD TV this past july, with a bigger tv, and me and my dad wanted it purposely for ranger games. If they dont show them in HD i've going to be one angry fan

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:13 AM
patnyrnyg

Last year all home games were in HD. The NBC games were in HD. The Isles and Devils road games were in HD. I also remember a Penguins road game being in HD. For the Rangers it is not like CBS, or Fox for football where they have the HD trucks. Everything is set-up in the arena. The Yankees made deals with every team they played to "trade" HD signals. Basically, the Red Sox came to Yankee stadium and the Yankees let them broadcast using the Yankees HD equipment and the Red Sox did the same for the Yanks in Boston. Seems like such a simple thing. I can't imagine an NHL team would not have HD equipment.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Last year all home games were in HD. The NBC games were in HD. The Isles and Devils road games were in HD. I also remember a Penguins road game being in HD. For the Rangers it is not like CBS, or Fox for football where they have the HD trucks. Everything is set-up in the arena. The Yankees made deals with every team they played to "trade" HD signals. Basically, the Red Sox came to Yankee stadium and the Yankees let them broadcast using the Yankees HD equipment and the Red Sox did the same for the Yanks in Boston. Seems like such a simple thing. I can't imagine an NHL team would not have HD equipment.
Thanks for the response....and i hope your right....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:39 AM
nyrmetros

i'm a tech idiot so I need baby steps to get this thing set up. lol.

Old
09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
there already is a hole for the cable modem cable, I would want to run that other wire right next to it. I would need to expand that hole for the new wire though.
OK, so how long of a cable do you need?

Old
09-16-2007, 11:21 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
OK, so how long of a cable do you need?
I'm really not too sure right now. the room where the computer is located is being remodelled, and I want to run the wire while the remodelling is underway. I'll try and see if I can get a measurement sometime soon.

Old
09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Garv23

There is no better sport to watch in HD than hockey. Especially in widescreen. It was made for it. I'm hoping most of the games are in HD this year too.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The league should mandate that all Arenas have HD trucks outside the building...like the NFL is doing this year and like MLB and NBA are doing next season..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'm really not too sure right now. the room where the computer is located is being remodelled, and I want to run the wire while the remodelling is underway. I'll try and see if I can get a measurement sometime soon.
Can you give me an approximate distance for the cable run? Are we talking ~10', 25', or 50'? Remember to add several feet at each end to allow the cable to go down from the cable box to the floor, and then up again to your monitor in the other room. If you don't have a tape measure handy you can just pace it off...my size 10 shoe is very close to 1 foot.