HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tanabe

Old
09-15-2007, 01:08 PM
StLooFrenchy

vCash: 500
Tanabe

What do y'all think? Tanabe, the supposed best skating D-man of his generation, or wanna-be, a K-Mart Coffey. Remember, he is only 27, and could still have untapped upside. He has great wheels and a decent shot. He hustles to get back into the play, but his defensive reads are lacking. Can JD and AM get him on track? If they could, wow. Thoughts?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Sandmachine

As a fan of the Blues, and having seen him play in Boston......I think you might as well leave him alone.

He's a good skater....but that only counts for so much. His shot, passing, receiving of passes, and offensive instincts in general are all sub-par. And on top of that, his defensive instincts aren't that great either. If these instincts haven't developed as yet in his career, I doubt they ever will. However, you are right in saying he is very adept at catching people from behind or cutting down the angle on breakaways. I dunno, I just feel that you guys are better off with the defensive corpse you have at present and those that are developing in the system.

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Robb_K

I can't see them picking him up. That would only be a depth move, if players are hurt or a trade is planned. Even then, it would block Polak from coming up sooner, and Woywitka from getting minutes. I can't see it happening. I guess they invited him just to fill out camp roster and for competition.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I can't see them picking him up. That would only be a depth move, if players are hurt or a trade is planned. Even then, it would block Polak from coming up sooner, and Woywitka from getting minutes. I can't see it happening. I guess they invited him just to fill out camp roster and for competition.
Or to make a trade...I can't believe they will go into the season with all these NHL ready defensemen....they are loaded at the position and would be foolish not to alleviate the logjam, imo...

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Racki View Post
Or to make a trade...I can't believe they will go into the season with all these NHL ready defensemen....they are loaded at the position and would be foolish not to alleviate the logjam, imo...

I agree. It was a crazy thought i had earlier, but i actually found myself hoping for minor injuries to get those guys in peoria who are ready some time up so their developement isnt hurt. I mean i really would never hope for an injury. Polak was ready last season though, and he will be stuck down again this year. I wouldnt want to hurt our future for a fill in the gap type veteran. So we have a few more slip ups on defense, our dmen will be better down the road when we are ready to be contenders.

topshelf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Tanabe made strides last season that have apparently done nothing to benefit his reputation. Carolina wanted him back but they couldn't justify extending him an offer considering we have 7 NHL defensemen on one way contracts. If not for the glut at the position, Tanabe wouldn't even be available.

He was getting a pretty consistant 22-24 minutes of icetime per game for Carolina for about a 25-30 game stretch at the end of the year and was making great choices with the puck on his stick and taking contact in order to make plays. His last game in a Carolina uniform he scored two goals in the season finale. He really turned his attitude around and started to play like he knew it may be his last chance at the NHL and he delivered with flying colors. I have no doubts that he'll stick around in St. Louis if he displays even half of what he exhibited last season.

He still isn't a physical defenseman by any stretch and isn't the best in the league at reading the play, but his skating is such an asset that he has been able to slightly improve his defensive reads and make that aspect of his game work overtime for him. Like Bret Hedican, he has taken his game from being touted as an offensive defenseman to now being utilized as a skating defensive defenseman with a pretty decent outlet pass. If you guys give him a chance you'll be surprised at how effective he can play now if you ignore the deceptive amount of "offensive potential", that people still claim that he has.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Tanabe made strides last season that have apparently done nothing to benefit his reputation. Carolina wanted him back but they couldn't justify extending him an offer considering we have 7 NHL defensemen on one way contracts. If not for the glut at the position, Tanabe wouldn't even be available.

He was getting a pretty consistant 22-24 minutes of icetime per game for Carolina for about a 25-30 game stretch at the end of the year and was making great choices with the puck on his stick and taking contact in order to make plays. His last game in a Carolina uniform he scored two goals in the season finale. He really turned his attitude around and started to play like he knew it may be his last chance at the NHL and he delivered with flying colors. I have no doubts that he'll stick around in St. Louis if he displays even half of what he exhibited last season.

He still isn't a physical defenseman by any stretch and isn't the best in the league at reading the play, but his skating is such an asset that he has been able to slightly improve his defensive reads and make that aspect of his game work overtime for him. Like Bret Hedican, he has taken his game from being touted as an offensive defenseman to now being utilized as a skating defensive defenseman with a pretty decent outlet pass. If you guys give him a chance you'll be surprised at how effective he can play now if you ignore the deceptive amount of "offensive potential", that people still claim that he has.
Like i mentioned in other posts on this site. i think he can stick around as a 7-8 defenceman. Most will agree that he's better than Walker, and we'll see in camp if he can out preform Woywitka (3 years younger), or even Polak (6 years younger).

I think having Polak in Peoria for another half year, or full season can't hurt him as a very young defenceman. But my patience is about done with Woywitka.

Someone will get hurt at some time, and i'd like to see Polak before Woywitka, if Tanabe makes the lineup.

Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:44 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I think having Polak in Peoria for another half year, or full season can't hurt him as a very young defenceman. But my patience is about done with Woywitka.

Someone will get hurt at some time, and i'd like to see Polak before Woywitka, if Tanabe makes the lineup.
I agree about the Polak part, but why lose patience in Woywitka? Some defensemen are late bloomers, and I think Woywitka made some strides last season. I think he can be a solid 4th-5th guy on a team's defense squad. He didn't make many bad decisions with the puck, and he held is own in his own zone.

For Tanabe, I would take him over Walker. Our tough guy quota is filled by King, and Tanabe would be a great 7th guy on any team.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
StLooFrenchy

Dave made the second cut. We had to expose Woywitka to the wire in order to keep Tanabe in camp. If we were going to let him walk after camp, why potentially lose an asset just to let him workout with us while he awaits a deal with another team? Something's afoot, methinks.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
execwrite

If they lose Woywitka on waivers and then cut Tanabe I will be disappointed.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
barnburner

My guess is that Murray has already decided that Wyowitka is never going to fulfil that "potential", and really doesn't care if he is picked up.
Barring a severe injury to our D corps in camp, I will be
very suprised if Tanabe makes this roster.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
VC

Defenesive depth is can be a goodthing.

1. Eric Brewer
2. Barret Jackman
3. Christian Backman
4. Jay McKee
5. Bryce Salvador
6. Erik Johnson
----------------
7. David Tanabe
8. Matt Walker
9. Jeff Woywitka
10. Micki Dupont
11. Roman Polak

I'm an outsider looking in so my depth chart is likely wrong and just plain old guessing that Johnson would have a spot in the top 6. Unless I'm missing someone it is leaving a few guys to battle it out for the number seven spot. If Tanabe can play way that Caniacforever describes, he may very well be best of the bunch fighting for the spot. Outside of Woywitka, I'm not knowing if anybody else had been sent down. That leaves Polak, Walker and Dupont. Polak is young and more seasoning in the Ahl wouldn't hurt. On average NHL team will use right defensemen on a somewhat regular basis (the top 6, guy in pressbox and callup guy) and I'm sure that Walker would be one of those defensemen. Dupont has the inside edge as he has a contract and highest offensive upside of the other defensemen. Any way it may happen, the Blues look to have a decent defense.

VC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

The Blues released Tanabe.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
fcpremix88

Wagner was good enough to beat Woywitka and Tanabe I guess.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
blueshead

I think Tanabe will be our 2007 Jamie Rivers. He'll go to Peoria on a two way and look for a chance to get called up either as a result of injuries or open space after a trade...I mean there has to be a trade.

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 06:50 AM
execwrite

Tanabe signed a two-year deal with Carolina.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote