HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edm/Pitt proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Edm/Pitt proposal

Would you trade Brewer to Pitt right now for their first rounder this year?

Old
01-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
If i was KLowe, I woudl have to think long and hard about that deal. Unfortunately, with our defense in its current condition, it's very unlikely. If this trade did happen, it would not be until trade deadline, depending of course on both clubs place in the standings.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:17 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
this is a very difficult choice to make since Brewer has the ability to turn into a franchise player. And what guarantee is there that if we select either Ovechkin or Barker or whoever that they would either pan out or still be affordable at age 26 and not pull another Comrie

Old
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Pitts 1st for Brewer

Personally, Done in a second if it means we can get high end talent like Ovechkin, but I'm thinking post cba here ... without Brew this year this team is in trouble defensively so tough call.

That said Pitts taking anybody worth more than 1M who isn't Fleury or Mario ... fat chance.

Last edited by Patch101: 01-07-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
That said Pitts taking anybody worth more than 1M who isn't Fleury or Mario ... fat chance.
Mario has been sidelined for the rest of the season. Does PIT still have to pay what is left on his 5.25 million or is it covered by insurance?

Old
01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Brewer for Welch/Surovy and a3rd...that'd would be the ideal trade IMO for the Oilers IF they had to move brewer (in their minds)

Welch, all around Dman that projects as a top 2 in the future...near future...maybe. Surovy, one shot scorer that isn't afraid to get his nose a bit dirty, not a powerforward, but has an absolute cannon of a shot. I've always like Surovy and i think if he hadn't had an injured hand in camp he would have gotten more top 6 minutes and stuck with the team instead of having to play on the bottom lines and still being one of the pens only viable offensive threats at this point in the season.

For the Oilers this...hypothetically allows them to trade a player they think they can no longer afford or one that has "demanded a trade." Furthermore they receive another Dman with top 2-3 potential which if you believe the reports makes that 4 (without Brew) in Welch, Semenov, Lynch, Woywitka in no particular order. Also, and possibnly most importantly, we get a first shot scorer that has a good work ethic and could be the perfect compliment to hemsky for years to come.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
speeds

I think that no question if that trade was offered EDM should take it.

Also move Smith at that point, really see how low things go, might end up with 2 top 5 picks + PHI's

That is the making of a championship squad.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Mario has been sidelined for the rest of the season. Does PIT still have to pay what is left on his 5.25 million or is it covered by insurance?
I seen on Sportsnet that his salary was going to covered by insurance.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I think that no question if that trade was offered EDM should take it.

Also move Smith at that point, really see how low things go, might end up with 2 top 5 picks + PHI's

That is the making of a championship squad.
I reluctantly have to agree with you. The Oilers have never had the luxury of building from rock bottom like Vancouver and Ottawa. Having 1 mid-round pick year after year is fine but you never get that high end talent. Yes I know they had two picks in the top 6 back in '94.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:43 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I reluctantly have to agree with you. The Oilers have never had the luxury of building from rock bottom like Vancouver and Ottawa. Having 1 mid-round pick year after year is fine but you never get that high end talent. Yes I know they had two picks in the top 6 back in '94.
It's true, but I believe Lowe is trying to build up enough assets to finally be able to trade up in the draft - rumoured to have been tried the last two drafts at least. So you could theoretically get the best of both worlds - some playoff games to keep fan interest going AND a pretty high draft pick.

I think Lowe would blow a gasket if the team wasn't at least competing down to the wire for a playoff spot, but I guess we'll see if he does anything by the deadline.

Bart

Old
01-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
It's true, but I believe Lowe is trying to build up enough assets to finally be able to trade up in the draft - rumoured to have been tried the last two drafts at least. So you could theoretically get the best of both worlds - some playoff games to keep fan interest going AND a pretty high draft pick.

I think Lowe would blow a gasket if the team wasn't at least competing down to the wire for a playoff spot, but I guess we'll see if he does anything by the deadline.

Bart
Lowe is quietly planning for post-cba. It will be very interesting to see what happens as we close into the trade deadline. I, for one, would not be bent out of shape if the Oilers do not make the playoffs this year. I would rather see the Oilers ice a team with some top end talent rather than be a middle of the pack team year after year. I believe that the CBA will address some issues that will finally allow Edmonton to KEEP this talent.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:10 AM
august

I would do it. Pittsburgh have a great chance to draft 1st overall. If Ovechkin is as good as supposed, it would be a steal.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Peter Griffin

No way the Pens do it.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:56 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
No way the Pens do it.
Exactly. Otherwise I'm on speeds' page.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by august
I would do it. Pittsburgh have a great chance to draft 1st overall. If Ovechkin is as good as supposed, it would be a steal.
See, now this is a vital piece of information to consider...Pittsburgh's not guaranteed to get 1st overall at the 2004 draft, right? With the lottery, they could be picking as low as 5th overall.

Trading Brewer for the 1st overall pick is one thing, but what about trading him straight-up for the 5th overall pick?

Hmmmm....

Bart

Old
01-08-2004, 10:38 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
No way the Pens do it.
of course not

Old
01-08-2004, 11:52 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
See, now this is a vital piece of information to consider...Pittsburgh's not guaranteed to get 1st overall at the 2004 draft, right? With the lottery, they could be picking as low as 5th overall.

Trading Brewer for the 1st overall pick is one thing, but what about trading him straight-up for the 5th overall pick?

Hmmmm....

Bart
I might be wrong, but I think you can only drop one spot (while you can at most gain 4 spots).

Old
01-08-2004, 11:58 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
of course not
They may not do it for Brewer, but I will bet they would be interested in the group of young defencemen and forwards that the Oilers have.

I'm sure a deal could be struck for a combination of guys like Rita, Chimera, Torres, Stoll, Lynch, Wyowitka, etc...

Ovechin is going to command a lot of money, and it is debatable as to whether or not the penguins would want to (note, I didn't say can) pay for him. They may be better off with 2 or 3 young guys who may be able to bolster their forwards/defencmen, both now and in the future.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:15 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
They may not do it for Brewer, but I will bet they would be interested in the group of young defencemen and forwards that the Oilers have.

I'm sure a deal could be struck for a combination of guys like Rita, Chimera, Torres, Stoll, Lynch, Wyowitka, etc...

Ovechin is going to command a lot of money, and it is debatable as to whether or not the penguins would want to (note, I didn't say can) pay for him. They may be better off with 2 or 3 young guys who may be able to bolster their forwards/defencmen, both now and in the future.
the only problem is I'm not sure the Oilers would want to get into that kind of bidding war. There's all kinds of teams that could probably make better offers, though it never hurts to kick tires and see what happens.

I could see PITT dealing their 1st, but not unless they know they draft #1 overall because until it's a certainty that the pick is #1 overall no one will pay them off as such, plus they can hold a bidding war as the draft nears, when all 29 other teams are available to bid instead of just the teams already out of the playoff hunt. They are almost a lock for a top 3 pick though.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
the only problem is I'm not sure the Oilers would want to get into that kind of bidding war. There's all kinds of teams that could probably make better offers, though it never hurts to kick tires and see what happens.

I could see PITT dealing their 1st, but not unless they know they draft #1 overall because until it's a certainty that the pick is #1 overall no one will pay them off as such, plus they can hold a bidding war as the draft nears, when all 29 other teams are available to bid instead of just the teams already out of the playoff hunt. They are almost a lock for a top 3 pick though.
I realize that... I was just popping names that would be of more interest if the Oilers were to talk to the penguins about getting that #1 pick.

I think the guys I mentioned would hold a little more value for the Pens than a guy like Brewer.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
t0mf00lery

Just to let you all in on something. Pittsburgh is not even in last place right now. Columbus is.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:37 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
Just to let you all in on something. Pittsburgh is not even in last place right now. Columbus is.
So is Washington...

But I think it will be an absolutely huge suprise if Pittsburgh doesn't finish last overall. Especially with the news that Mario is out, there isn't a heck of a lot of home in steeltown anymore.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
So is Washington...

But I think it will be an absolutely huge suprise if Pittsburgh doesn't finish last overall. Especially with the news that Mario is out, there isn't a heck of a lot of home in steeltown anymore.
True. But imagine if Columbus does finish last. Imagine their team with Nash, Zheredev, and Ovenchkin...

Old
01-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
right now, no, on draft day, if Pittsburg has the first overall pick and left their logical minds at home, then yes.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Oilers are looking for a top pick, and Brewer is used as the centerpiece to obtain that pick, I think Columbus is the team that should be targeted. They are playing very poorly right now and could really use a guy like Brewer. On top of that, Columbus isn't going to be able to be a bottom feeding team forever, the fans are going to get tired of the losing. I think that they would consider trading their pick in order to get some proven talent in return.

Closed Thread