HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back-up goaltending.....

Old
09-16-2007, 03:56 PM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Back-up goaltending.....

who would you like to see. I'm concerned this is a weak spot that could become a focus between realizing "the ultimate goal" and not. Montoya? Vally? Holt?
This is really my only concern right now, with the 3rd line center coming in a very distant 2nd.

....so close I can almost smell the Garden air on gamenight!

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:04 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

i think they might use vally, and possibly trade montoya

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:07 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
i think they might use vally, and possibly trade montoya
really not diggin' this option.

on a lot of levels.

Old
09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
well you know who is listing another guy as our backup.......

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=9398

If we were going to sign a goalie as our backup, i would definitely not take Esche- he wants a starting job and wont take anything less- i would take Cujo- hes a guy who could provide some veteran leadership for Henrik as his backup, plus would be able to carry a much larger load than Valiquette could since he was a starter- instead of Henrik playing 70 games, he could play 65 or even 60 games because of Cujo- besides, curtis was pretty good for playing with a team that had a poor offence and a disorganized defense.....and he would probably cost alot less than Eshe would which is a big factor to the Rangers

but its not absolutely necessary to sign someone

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
why not give Valiquette the shot? he earns the minimum ($500k) and although unproven, I believe he can hold the fort for his 10-12 or so games.

Look at other teams: If M.A. Fleury goes down, good night. If Brodeur goes down, good night. If DiPietro goes down, good night.

An option would be calling up Montoya if Henke is injured. With the salery cap already quite near, there is no need to spend a $1 million for a guy to play 10-12 games.

Osminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
who would you like to see. I'm concerned this is a weak spot that could become a focus between realizing "the ultimate goal" and not. Montoya? Vally? Holt?
This is really my only concern right now, with the 3rd line center coming in a very distant 2nd.

....so close I can almost smell the Garden air on gamenight!
Lundqvist will play at least 70 games this season, and Im thinking and hoping that alone should be good enough to get us into the playoffs.

Once we're in the playoffs, if we see the backup in any meaningful situations, we have no shot at "the ultimate goal"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:56 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:

on a lot of levels.
why not? the rangers cant have 2 good goalies, weve been through that before.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 04:59 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:

on a lot of levels.
I dont think anyone is "digging" it. But what good does an asset like Montoya do for you if he sits on the bench? Hank has shown he will compete and play his best without an amazing backup challenging him for the job.

Trade him and get real, comparable future value for him.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 05:03 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
why not? the rangers cant have 2 good goalies, weve been through that before.
I remember him playing a few games last season and not looking too sharp (or was the the year before...hmmm?).....granted, NHL call up gitters and home crowd of 18,000 will do that to a guy, but I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of him in net.....he has not earned my trust or my confidence yet-----if he has the ability, the skills then I'm estatic, great----but as of right now I just don't think he's the best option. He deserves a shot to see what he can do, no doubt. Think i'll youtube him later, but those videos are pretty one-sided anyway. Prefer Montoya at this point

Old
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

on a lot of levels.
What would you rather have right now, Montoya or a second Marc Staal on defense? If you could trade Montoya for a good young defenseman, why not do it?

If anything, an unproven skater is MUCH less likely to bust than an unproven goalie.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
What would you rather have right now, Montoya or a second Marc Staal on defense? If you could trade Montoya for a good young defenseman, why not do it?

If anything, an unproven skater is MUCH less likely to bust than an unproven goalie.
Speaking of which, I really hope they draft a defenseman next summer. I'm not big on Pasta being a top-2 defenseman, or Sauer for that matter.

2 of 3 among Girardi-Pasta-Sauer could make a good second pair, but who'll play on the first? Maybe Staal if he fulfills his potential.

Who else? They should trade Monty for a good defenseman and also draft a dman - you can never have too many D-prospects because so few pan out.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Prefer Montoya at this point

I dont really think you've got a full grasp of the dichotomy of goaltending at the NHL level.

Old
09-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Smashley

Whenever I think of Valley, all I can envision is JD & the Blues visiting the garden last season. I am so friggin' glad I was at that game. Unbelievable.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 06:03 PM
danroy33

As far as goaltending goes, there are a lot of UFA options and in all likelihood, Montoya is going to be moved. However, he's not going to be moved for a backup goalie alone. Perhaps an option is Toronto, they have a little goaltending logjam. Although I am not sure Raycroft is much of an upgrade to Vally, unless we get one of their defensemen.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
VisionQuest*

Move Montoya.
Sign esche to a 1yr 1mil deal.

case closed.

Old
09-16-2007, 06:49 PM
eco's bones

HF is about to put Al in its list of top 10 prospects and some people here would prefer a 29-30 year old career minor leaguer with 12 NHL games some of them partials. Smart. It's true though--it's frustrating--what to do with Montoya when you already have an elite goaltender? We should trade him for anything at all--it doesn't matter. Then we can sign Esche--wonderful--one of the worst goaltenders up high in the league--one who has an ego problem besides. I mean WTF?

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:00 PM
alucard

Why would the rangers trade Montoya now? His value is no where near the potential it has to be...take a look at Miikka Kiprusoff. Calgary traded a 2nd round pick for him when he was just a backup goalie. Imagine his value right now? He proved himself at the NHL level and his value skyrocketed.
The Rangers have no need to get rid of Montoya now, simply no reason. This trade only happens if some team is willing to over pay, that simply won't happen at this point in time.

As far as back-up goaltending, I say give Valley a shot. I think he's up to the 12 games or so that Lundqvist won't be playing. Keep in mind we have a salary cap issue with Montoya, and besides this kid needs top minutes to keep refining his game.

Please stop the non-sense about Esche, where is his salary going to come from? At this point its either Valley or a trade is going to go down to get rid of the cap space for Montoya or a FA.

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
squishy

My prediction: The Rangers will go with Vali as the backup. He'll only have to play 12-15 games, and I think he can probably do a servicable job for those games. Montoya will not be traded. Not with Vali as the backup. If Lundqvist goes down to injury, Montoya is the insurance policy. Vali may be servicable over 12-15 games spread over the season, but he will not keep this team in the playoff hunt if Lundqvist is out for an extended period. Montoya at least has the potential of being able to step in and do so. Beyond Montoya, the Rangers are very thin in goal. Trading him is a risk not worth taking at this point. The only way he would be traded this season is if the Rangers trade for or sign a more experienced veteran backup. And since I've learned never to believe anyting Eklund says, I still say the chances of that are slim.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Go with Vally. If he looks incapable of performing as an NHL backup, then go get someone else. We have a ton of prospects that can be moved (and may eventually have to be). It's not something that concerns me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 08:23 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Why would the rangers trade Montoya now? His value is no where near the potential it has to be...take a look at Miikka Kiprusoff. Calgary traded a 2nd round pick for him when he was just a backup goalie. Imagine his value right now? He proved himself at the NHL level and his value skyrocketed.
The Rangers have no need to get rid of Montoya now, simply no reason. This trade only happens if some team is willing to over pay, that simply won't happen at this point in time.

As far as back-up goaltending, I say give Valley a shot. I think he's up to the 12 games or so that Lundqvist won't be playing. Keep in mind we have a salary cap issue with Montoya, and besides this kid needs top minutes to keep refining his game.

Please stop the non-sense about Esche, where is his salary going to come from? At this point its either Valley or a trade is going to go down to get rid of the cap space for Montoya or a FA.
So, how, exactly, do we plan to exhibit Montoya's value?
10-15 backup performances? Is that how you plan to place him in that Kippur atmosphere of goaltending? News flash, Montoya is a higher rated prospect than Kippur was at the time, he will fetch more.

If Slats wanted Esche, he could get him. He could find a way to shed salary. If Valley goes back to the A, thats 600K dropped. Pretty confident he could find a way to dig out 400K.

Old
09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

wiikman and zaba are competing

i want zaba to impress and win a job because i think there can be some cool chants with his name

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

listen......montoya will not be traded until next offseason when lundqvist is resigned long-term.....do you realize what would happen if montoya was traded and lundqvist went somewhere else for more money......he is the insurance policy...when he is traded, i see him getting us 2-3 prospects that are close to nhl ready, maybe a forward and 2 solid defenseman....i see pheonix and st. louis as the trade partners in that one because both are stocked in the prospects department and have ex-ranger guys heading them....and they both know what he is like.....and...most importantly....they both need a very good young goalie to help propel their very good young teams

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:26 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I pray to god we dont sign Esche. I know him personally as he lives literally down the street from me in Westmoreland Ny. He just opened a new restaurant in Utica (of all places). Hes a great guy, but imo hes a washed up goalie

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:00 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
well you know who is listing another guy as our backup.......

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=9398

If we were going to sign a goalie as our backup, i would definitely not take Esche- he wants a starting job and wont take anything less- i would take Cujo- hes a guy who could provide some veteran leadership for Henrik as his backup, plus would be able to carry a much larger load than Valiquette could since he was a starter- instead of Henrik playing 70 games, he could play 65 or even 60 games because of Cujo- besides, curtis was pretty good for playing with a team that had a poor offence and a disorganized defense.....and he would probably cost alot less than Eshe would which is a big factor to the Rangers

but its not absolutely necessary to sign someone
and Glen knows Cujo from his days of Edmonton so Sather would know what he is getting. Not a bad move if not Cujo, what about Belfour?? Would u take a chance on him??? Would Belfour want to be a backup?? At least hed have a chance to win a cup before he retires.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:45 AM
ArtieAnisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
and Glen knows Cujo from his days of Edmonton so Sather would know what he is getting. Not a bad move if not Cujo, what about Belfour?? Would u take a chance on him??? Would Belfour want to be a backup?? At least hed have a chance to win a cup before he retires.
Cujo would be great, Belfour would be good too but Eddie the Eagle is going to Sweden to play B league hockey. Curtis Joseph would be awesome to have if hes cheap.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote