HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Official Arizona Sports Thread (MLB, NFL, NBA, Devils, Cats, etc.)

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2008, 10:03 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I'm not going to argue about the title, but how exactly are they going to be awful this year? Apart from losing Valverde, they haven't gotten any worse, and Valverde was going to end up being a very expensive liability anyway.
Everyone in the division has gotten better, and the D'Backs are banking on the kids. In a lot of ways it's like what the Coyotes are going to do next year. It could get really nasty. The fact they totally dicked Tony Clark (who didn't help himself, but still) doesn't help since he was the glue holding that team together.

Old
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
coyoteshockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Everyone in the division has gotten better, and the D'Backs are banking on the kids. In a lot of ways it's like what the Coyotes are going to do next year. It could get really nasty. The fact they totally dicked Tony Clark (who didn't help himself, but still) doesn't help since he was the glue holding that team together.
Yeah, the Diamondbacks stood still while everybody else got better. It isn't like the Diamondbacks traded for an All-Star pitcher like Dan Haren or anything.

Old
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteshockeyfan View Post
Yeah, the Diamondbacks stood still while everybody else got better. It isn't like the Diamondbacks traded for an All-Star pitcher like Dan Haren or anything.
And it's not like the D'Backs had one pathetic as hell offense last year...

Old
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I will miss Papa Grande, he was entertaining to say the least. The team will have to gel & click like they did last yr. ALso their adding a HOF picher on Johnson (whos a shell but can bring heat)

Old
04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Perspective: They were outscored by 20 runs last season.

Old
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Perspective: that was a statistical anomaly and to bank on that happening again is, in a word, idiotic.

Old
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM
coyoteshockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
More perspective: They still finished with 90 regular season wins in an extremely tough division, two less than the 2001 team.

Old
04-01-2008, 01:49 AM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Yeah their offense was bad but the whole "outscored" thing is a completely useless stat other than telling you that when the Dbacks lost they crashed and burned; and that they are good at winning a lot of close games.

I don't think they will take the division but I expect them to be over .500 and probably 2nd place in the division/challenge for a wild card. I think it will come down to this.

If neither Davis nor Johnson comes back effectively then the Dbacks will be 3rd or 2nd place and not in the playoffs.
If One of Davis or Johnson comes back effectively (or A guy like Petit performs well) they will be 2nd and win or nearly win the wild card.

If both pitchers come back healthy and effective, they should take the division.

The dodgers might have tried to get better but they are old and have some injury issues. Unless their youth explodes I don't think they are better than the diamondbacks.

I look for the Padres to continue to regress unless Prior magically returns to his old form.

The Rockies have a great lineup but all these ESPN fools who think they have good pitching are idiots. Francis is overrated, look at his road record last year. Kip wells and Mark Redman ? They aren't even better than Edgar Gonzalez. Morales could be good but he hasn't played anything close to a full season. Jimenez isn't anything special at this time and he was terrible on the road. Hirsh is average but currently on the DL. Buchholz had horrible numbers as a starter last year, could improve but not enough. Bowie is really a reliever. And Cook, who I think is their best pitcher, isn't as good as Webb or Haren. In conclusion, the rockies DO NOT SCARE me, and they shouldn't scare anyone other than opposing pitchers.

Old
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I disagree, Jimenez is scary...his fast ball is sick. I think he beat us all but once last yr.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM
coyoteshockeyfan

Its early, but anybody still want to say anything about the Diamondbacks offense?

Old
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

at this point the DBACKS are head and sholders above all other teams on the planet. My lord they are obliterating everyone. Curious how Randy fits in when he comes back. & hope Doug Davis will be ok w/ cancer surgery.

Old
04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

I just hope they save something for the last six months of the season. Wow, they are on fire!

Old
04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Well I just hope the DBacks don't become the Ottawa Senators of this past season. Quick amazing start out of the gate, and a very lack luster second half to just squeek into the playoffs.

Old
04-12-2008, 09:28 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Well I just hope the DBacks don't become the Ottawa Senators of this past season. Quick amazing start out of the gate, and a very lack luster second half to just squeek into the playoffs.
i dont think that will happen. This is a young vibrant team with a good manager....this team has oodles of potential

Old
04-13-2008, 01:33 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Went to Fridays game -- good time for all. I'm impressed. I thought they had over acheived last year, and we'd be in for a tough season. So far, so good!

Old
04-19-2008, 05:34 PM
ParisSaintGermain

The Suns losing game 1 of the playoffs after double overtime. They had been ahead about 98% of the game. Tough loss.

Old
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
The Suns losing game 1 of the playoffs after double overtime. They had been ahead about 98% of the game. Tough loss.
ya... why did o'neil stop guarding duncan? caused the 2nd ot with that 3 pointer

Old
04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Bandit34

It was an excellent game.

wettowell: Duncan has never made a 3 pointer the whole season, we would rather let him shoot than the other players.

Old
04-21-2008, 05:08 AM
BGDDYKWL

That was an EXTREMELY tough loss. Hopefully they can bounce back Tuesday.

Old
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Cowherd was talking about how game 1 winners, also go on to win the series 79% of the time in the NBA. The Suns are toast. It's too bad, this was likely their last chance to win it all for some time. Hill, Shaq, and Nash aren't getting any younger. I guess it's true what they say about defense winning championships. The Suns are a fun team to watch, but perhaps not built in the wisest way. I'm not a big NBA fan, though, so I don't know much. Outside of the post-season, and the ten, or so, games a year I attend (my parents are season ticket holders, and my dad never goes, so either my brother, my sister in-law, or I usually go with my mom), I don't watch any basketball.

Old
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

& it kills me the parent company of the the Rampage is none other than the stupid spurs.

Old
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
sublimesept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Cowherd was talking about how game 1 winners, also go on to win the series 79% of the time in the NBA. The Suns are toast. It's too bad, this was likely their last chance to win it all for some time. Hill, Shaq, and Nash aren't getting any younger. I guess it's true what they say about defense winning championships. The Suns are a fun team to watch, but perhaps not built in the wisest way. I'm not a big NBA fan, though, so I don't know much. Outside of the post-season, and the ten, or so, games a year I attend (my parents are season ticket holders, and my dad never goes, so either my brother, my sister in-law, or I usually go with my mom), I don't watch any basketball.

Its a little obvious you dont get to watch the Suns as much as you do the Yotes (No Offense). But the Suns are clearly the better team. We played the whole game with Shaq and Amare in foul trouble. We were dominating the Spurs, we went up by as much as 16 until the foul trouble. The Suns will in this series 4-2 without a doubt in my mind.

We had our chance to win it at the end of regulation, but who did we give it to "Barbozo" who takes one of his patent retarted shots. I dont care if Nash is being tripple teamed he's gotta be the one taking that shot.

Then in the first OT the obvious Duncan 3 pointer. I'm not going to blame the defense on that one because that is the shot everyone on the suns would have wanted. 9 times out of 10 Duncan misses that shot but it just happened to go in. Then on the other end we have a chance to win it again but we go with Boris Diaw with the last second shot. Once again why wouldnt you go with Nash.

Old
04-22-2008, 01:58 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

So what are everyone's predictions for the game tonight?

Old
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

The Suns COULD win this game just like they SHOULD have won the last one. But they wont....

But then again I'm a pessimist.
Hill looks largely useless out there, stupid Dorris Biaw was awesome in the first half and largely ineffective in the second. In addition to that Amare gets in foul trouble way too much so the suns can NEVER win in OT since their only clutch jump shooter is Nash. There is no Tim Thomas type on this team. Shaq , much to my surprise is not the problem if he can stay out of foul trouble. They don't seem to have the ability to use the 3-ball to any sort of advantage any more, a trademark of suns basketball. If you cant shoot 3's, and you cant play inside because your guys are in foul trouble, you are dead. Mike D'antoni cannot adjust as a coach mid-gameplan. Lets think of more reasons why they are terrible (in a Barkley voice)

I think I'll be watching Webb get 5-0 instead. Good thing I like baseball, Basketball is just a filler for when the Coyotes are never in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Yes, but Hill is doubtful. They will prob start Barbosa. CERTAINLY no reason why we can't get the 'W'!!!

EDIT: HILL is feeling better and may play tonight.

Last edited by TeamTippett: 04-22-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Closed Thread