Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Anthem

Old
09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
SonOfBraincramp

vCash: 500
National Anthem

I heard they did this at the first game and they did it last night. During the National Anthem, the singer stops during the middle of the song and holds up the Microphone for the crowd to sing a portion.

From reading on the ducks web site message board, it is being said that Samuelli requested to do this.

My only problem is that this is a blantant ripoff of what Those Guys North of the Border do. We would have never thought about it until we had a game with a team that did it. It is cool and all and it gave me chills when I watched them sing Oh Canada last year. I guess I hate trying to take someone's idea for our own...

Any thoughts?

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Aw, no need to be jealous, we don't mind if the Ducks choose to use that technique!

Whatever builds on the game's popuparity with Those Guys South of the Border is fine with us!

09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Lyons71

It was weird, and took a few seconds for everyone to figure it out, but it was fine. It's not really a 'rip off' because canada didn't invent singing with the anthem singer.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
theShiba

I think it's lame... the main reason being that clearly from the style singers we use choose to not lead a sing-a-long, but rather put on a performance.

People don't usually sing with the anthem, so it just seems stupid to have them do it. It really only works when people are already singing with it.

theShiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Mooseduck

It made some sense when we copied from the Northees but it will last about five games before the loudmouths figure out it is a perfect time to yell "Kings Suck" or something similar. Watch what happens.

Sing the song and drop the damn puck.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:13 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
It made some sense when we copied from the Northees but it will last about five games before the loudmouths figure out it is a perfect time to yell "Kings Suck" or something similar. Watch what happens.

Sing the song and drop the damn puck.
that what everyone use to do

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:13 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Lame. It was kind of cool the first time I saw it. I think it was 2 years ago. Then all the Canadian teams were doing it during this year's playoffs and it was lame. And now we're copying it and it's not the playoffs and it's even lamer.

Part of what made it cool was that it was unique and spontaneous. Now it's just derivative and dumb.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
btpdragon

For me it has seemed forced the last two games. When the moment is right and the crowd is already into it, the move really makes a statement. A preseason crowd is rarely fired up enough to pull it off well. Then again when a 10 year singer old asks you to sing the song, you sing!

Last edited by btpdragon: 09-17-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: grammer mistake
btpdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I wish they'd get rid of the anthem singing altogether. It makes more sense in international competition but it's just misplaced and awkward in pro sports.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:28 AM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Wasn't all the Canadian teams..

Was in Vancouver... was only a portion of the song too.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:58 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I find it embarrassing when there's that pause and we all realize that we have to start singing. I'm all for it otherwise even though I don't particularly like our nation anthem. I much prefer O Canada.

But if Dawn Wright is singing, I let her and only her sing because she belts like no other. She's the best.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I find it embarrassing when there's that pause and we all realize that we have to start singing. I'm all for it otherwise even though I don't particularly like our nation anthem. I much prefer O Canada.

But if Dawn Wright is singing, I let her and only her sing because she belts like no other. She's the best.
It was odd because she just stopped. I looked at my sister and said. Oh **** she forgot the words. Thankfully she knew what she was doing.

To me nothing ever beats Eddie Money drunk basically reading the words to Oh Canada. I laughed for hours on that thought alone. That and Two Tickets to Paradise which he stumbled through.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Wasn't all the Canadian teams..

Was in Vancouver... was only a portion of the song too.
The buzz began this season in Ottawa when the Constable Dude did it:

Ottawa at Game 3 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xkha64h5Y

Then Alanis copied Game 4 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVCCzr6PlLQ

Then the Anaheim Crowd copied -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5tVypovhqA and Samueli got a woody.

( Of course, we won The Cup -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2cpOXwmQDQ )

Where has Henry been? This isn't anything new:

Remember Edmonton? (check out Bryz in the old jersey) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

Go Ducks! lots of fun

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post

But if Dawn Wright is singing, I let her and only her sing because she belts like no other. She's the beast.
there, i did it...

Old
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
abax44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShiba View Post
I think it's lame... the main reason being that clearly from the style singers we use choose to not lead a sing-a-long, but rather put on a performance.

People don't usually sing with the anthem, so it just seems stupid to have them do it. It really only works when people are already singing with it.

Are you kidding? People always sing with the anthem up here.

abax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
PrayStation

in '06 the oiler fans were drowning out the anthem singer. It wasn't some PR stunt to promote some contrived emotion. You already got Pronger and the cup stop trying to steal the passion of hockey and go back to the beach.

PrayStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayStation View Post
in '06 the oiler fans were drowning out the anthem singer. It wasn't some PR stunt to promote some contrived emotion. You already got Pronger and the cup stop trying to steal the passion of hockey and go back to the beach.

I'm sorry but your little rant cracked me up. Go back to praying your team doesn't end up losing Stamkos too after overpaying for Penner.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayStation View Post
We want your women, too. None of those backwoods freaks with frostbitten noses, mind you. Only the good ones with symmetric faces and all their limbs intact.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by abax44 View Post
Are you kidding? People always sing with the anthem up here.
but not in anaheim, which is what he was talking about.

Old
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
PrayStation

I give the ANA forum some props for having a sense of humor at least - I got my last thread deleted from the EDM site:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...raig+MacTavish

having our coach named for a sex act didn't seem proper....

oh well,

BTW the american anthem is harder to sing for us canadians....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJt8mRf1KvY

PrayStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
12 oz Papa*

I HATE how they do the holding up the mic thing. When the Marine singer did it on the game we won the Cup, it was awesome, and very moving. But to force it every game during regular season games, it's stupid.

It takes the passion away from the game, the fans, and the song.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 07:32 PM
The NHL Rant

This particular NHL tradition started in Vancouver during the playoffs a few years ago. It was a spontaneous decision by the anthem singer because even with his mic wired into the GM Place speakers, and the fact that he has a powerful operatic voice, the fans were singing louder than he was. I remember in a Vancouver Sun interview he said something the effect of "it was such a powerful moment, and I was overcome such a great feeling, I just had to hand it over to them for a few bars."

Being from Vancouver, I absolutely love this tradition. Fills me with patriotic pride every time. However - it's terrible and somewhat embarrassing if the audience wasn't singing in the first place and have to take a moment to figure out what's going on before they chime in. Also - this really should only be done in the playoffs. The fans in Vancouver usually sing along with pride every game, but this is definitely a playoff tradition. It belittles it to do it in the regular season

The NHL Rant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:05 AM
ktulu98

well I think they want to build more patriotism, but it is stupid do it every game
I think singer should feel it,if people are singing that loud he can let them sing the anthem and not force them to sing loud

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Ducks

it would be halarious if the crowd actually didn't sing and left the anthem singer there hanging with the microphone stretched out in a awkward moment of silence.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
I wish they'd get rid of the anthem singing altogether. It makes more sense in international competition but it's just misplaced and awkward in pro sports.
agreed.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote