HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - Flyers v Panthers

View Poll Results: Flyers v Panthers
Win 15 65.22%
Loss 4 17.39%
OTL or Tie 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Donga

vCash: 500
HORTON IS GOD!!!

Old
01-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Winston Wolf

No, but LeClair is! LeClair ties it up, 3-3.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donga
HORTON IS GOD!!!
No, but he's now the YOUNGEST player ever to score on a penalty shot

Looks like the game will be tight until the end...looks like my prediction might just come true

Old
01-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Nice shot by Bure, but...

Damnit, Hackett HAS to stop that one...

Old
01-08-2004, 04:35 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

dam, another loss, another loss by Hackett, I didn't see the goals, I don't want to see the goals, *groan*

Old
01-08-2004, 04:44 PM
stanley

I caught the penalty that led to the Horton penalty shot, and it sure didn't look like much of a penalty. From the location of the nearest Flyer, I can see how it could be considered a penalty shot situation; I just question the call of a penalty in general. It looked weak.

Hackett has to play better.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Steve L*

Can someone tell Recchi to aim at Hacketts head tomorrow.
Hacketts so bad now that Id actually cheer an injury that made sure hed never play for the Flyers again.

I wonder if Clarke still thinks there arent any goalie upgrades out there?

Old
01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Rex88

Time to stop the rotation and get Hackett out.
See if Esche can handle the load.
If not, then still enough time to know it before the deadline when something may be done.
Sharp looks OK and if able to put 15 lbs on that skinny frame, could have some 3/4 center skills.

I actually have my doubts about any significant upgrade over what I have seen from Esche thus far would be available at the deadline. When Carolina is out, I wonder if they will shop Weekes?

Old
01-08-2004, 05:04 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Time to stop the rotation and get Hackett out.
See if Esche can handle the load.
If not, then still enough time to know it before the deadline when something may be done.
Sharp looks OK and if able to put 15 lbs on that skinny frame, could have some 3/4 center skills.

I actually have my doubts about any significant upgrade over what I have seen from Esche thus far would be available at the deadline. When Carolina is out, I wonder if they will shop Weekes?
I agree. This two goalie thing isn't good. They need a #1, and all they have are two number 2s, if that. It's time to see if Esche is at all what Clarke makes him out to be, or if he's just another flop.

Now it's 6 wins in the last 19 games.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:29 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
my game notes:
- Hackett was horrible, let up 2 bad goals IMO.
- lopsided in the shots, goal scoring chances and still lost the game. you know, we ran into another hot goalie.
- Comrie is an animal. he is just all over the ice and the more I watch the more I love the trade. he is just everywhere making things happen. best player on the ice again for the Flyers.
- Seidenberg I thought had a good game, he got some shots on net and down low when the Flyers were putting the preasure on.
- LeClair played a real strong game had a nice snap shot goal and some other good oppertunities.
- Horton was great and it shows why he would have been considered the #1 overall pick last year. great game by him and he could really turn out to be a thorn in our side.
- Luongo played real good besides the shaky start.

overall a bad loss by the Flyers. as usuall the dominate the offensive statistics like shots, scoring chances, etc. and failed to make the most of them. as usual, what is it again? oh yeah, we ran into another hot goalie.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Steve L*

BTW, anyone else find it ironic that Hackett is always injured for half a season except this one when we could do with him being out?

Old
01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
Glen Macknow on 610 right now is saying it best.

(1) The Flyers, if you watched closely tonight, did not have quality shots. The 46 or whatever shots is misleading. They had quantity, but not quality.

(2) The Flyers lack a go-to-guy. They lack a guy who can go out and create his own space; his own shot. Comrie is the best they got but right now, he is not at that level due to his absense from the game.

------------------------

My thoughts on the game (I was there! Woah!)

(1) The Roenick/Comrie/Amonte PP unit is going to be a killer come playoff time. They are really building some chemistry there.

(2) Hackett was at fault for 2 goals tonight. The first and the last.

(3) That penelty shot was simply a terrible call. A penelty could have been called, but a penelty shot was over the top and drastic. Terrible call. If Hackett makes that save, God willing, the Flyers win going away in my opinion. Major swing of momentum at that point.

(4) Seidenberg had a rough night. He had a few good shifts, but he was getting knocked over left and right. The defense in general had a rough night moving the puck against the Panthers trap.

(5) The checking game. Regardless of who the Flyers were playing, the team never established that they were the home team playing in front of the home crowd. Besides an occasional Roenick check, the checking game was non-existent tonight.

(6) Maybe this is just me, but the Flyers are a totally different team with Keith Primeau out of the lineup. Never thought I would say that, but I truly believe it's true.

That's about all I got. I'll think of more later probably.

Tonight ended my personal 7-game-in-attendance-winning steak that dates back to Saint Patrick's Day 2001 when the Flyers defeated the NY Rangers. The streak included wins against the Capitals, Islanders, Thrashers, Blues among others. <sigh>

Old
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
John Flyers Fan

My Dad had to cancel at the last minute ... sent my sister instead.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne2433

(1) The Flyers, if you watched closely tonight, did not have quality shots. The 46 or whatever shots is misleading. They had quantity, but not quality.

(2) The Flyers lack a go-to-guy. They lack a guy who can go out and create his own space; his own shot. Comrie is the best they got but right now, he is not at that level due to his absense from the game.
They got 47 shots and gave up like 17. It doesn't matter that they didn't finish great and that the shots were misleading to an extent. They scored 3. You score 3 and you only give up 17 shots you should win. Especially when the 17 against weren't misleading. They really didn't give up many high quality chances. So talk about finishers or quality vs quantity is a big, "what does that have to do with tonight"? The put 3 in the net out of those 47 shots. Thats not a great shooting %, but certinaly they did more then enough to not warrant that type of talk.

JR scored a goal tonight. He's been finishing this year. Recchi has 16, he's been finishing this year. The last few years I'd agree with what was said. But not this year. This year, scoring isn't the weakest link. Our PP is clicking on all cylindars and they are putting the puck in the net. Many timely goals too. A lot of goals scored after a softie was given up, a lot of late goals, come from behind goals.

The loss was about 1 thing. Hackett. He just isn't every good.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne2433

Is he watching the same team we all are? Even the Panthers announcers on the Center Ice feed were raving about how much firepower the Flyers have. The Flyers are full of "go-to-guys"

I'd just like a "go-to-goalie"

No more Hackett. Put Esche in and let him play a few games.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:37 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
hackett must be destroyed

I knew this day would come

Old
01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

man that gagne-comrie-williams combo is getting a TON of shots the last 2 games!!!

are they really clicking???

later,
dtuch

Old
01-08-2004, 09:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
when is Hitch going to stop rotating the goalies. Esche has earned a majority of the starts. Hackett has earned nothing except for a 5 game stretch or what ever it was back in late oct/nov. Hackett cost the Flyers another point and that is the bottom line.
Nail Hackett down to the bench and play Esche until he says no mas then call up Niittymaki for a start.
tonite was the last straw for me with Hackett. am i impatient? yeah i am after watching games like this for how many years now? this is just sickening.
one last thing and i know its been said before
Can we please find someone who can finish on a consistant basis? 94 freaking shots 4 goals and no wins in the last 2 games. i realize the shots werent of the highest quality but stil we have to find away to light the lamp a few more times with that many SOG.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:44 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
man that gagne-comrie-williams combo is getting a TON of shots the last 2 games!!!

are they really clicking???

later,
dtuch

as stated by someone above... quantity, not quality

Old
01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
as stated by someone above... quantity, not quality
Actually a good bit were quality they just didn't bury them.

Old
01-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
when is Hitch going to stop rotating the goalies.
When Esche stops getting hurt all the time. They really can't play Esche every day until he gets healthy and stays healthy.

Old
01-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
When Esche stops getting hurt all the time. They really can't play Esche every day until he gets healthy and stays healthy.

The problem is not totally with the goal tending. The play up front has not been great. I am tired of hearing about how many shots on net this team gets. None of that matters when the pucks is fired at the goal tender, and when it is not put into the goalie's belly they miss the net totally.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Teezax

I can totall see our future, and it'll eb another first round battel with the Leafs because there ain't now ay we will win the division playing like this. Look forward to another first round exit. Wy is it that all the goaltenders we want in Philly make us look real bad when we play them??? Khabi, Biron, Luongo....etc.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:42 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
?

Esche didn't play because it was Hackett's "turn." If I recall, Hitchcock didn't claim he would ride one and leave the other as backup, but that he would continue to play both goaltenders as he did before Esche was injured.

Esche was injured once this season.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:44 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
No kidding. Williams had eight last night, and six against Buffalo. More than anybody on the team, that kid could use a goal.

Closed Thread