HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: question about right/left handedness

Old
09-18-2007, 04:04 AM
DimaNYR

vCash: 500
OT: question about right/left handedness

One thing confuses me - why do players shoot from their left side, if they are right handed, and vice versa? In other words, a right handed person's right hand is stronger, so why then a left hand is used for a shot?

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 04:53 AM
SilverSeven

If your right handed that doesnt necessarily mean your right hand is stronger...it almost certainly meants its more dextrous though.

Perhaps it has to do with where players prefer to manipulate the stick while playing...

Im ambidextrous and have always shot right.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:26 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEKJIO View Post
One thing confuses me - why do players shoot from their left side, if they are right handed, and vice versa? In other words, a right handed person's right hand is stronger, so why then a left hand is used for a shot?
I've spoken to a few people who seem to think that the dominant hand is better utilized to control the stick, which is your top hand. the lower hand on the stick is used primarily for adding strength to a shot where as the top hand is usually used to control the direction of the shot.

That said, I'm a righty and shoot from the right side, but prefer the LW. I think coming down the LW provides me a better angle at the net as my forehand is towards the center of the rink as opposed to the boards naturally creating a bad angle from a Left handed shooting position.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:32 AM
DimaNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I've spoken to a few people who seem to think that the dominant hand is better utilized to control the stick, which is your top hand. the lower hand on the stick is used primarily for adding strength to a shot where as the top hand is usually used to control the direction of the shot.
That said, I'm a righty and shoot from the right side, but prefer the LW. I think coming down the LW provides me a better angle at the net as my forehand is towards the center of the rink as opposed to the boards naturally creating a bad angle from a Left handed shooting position.
that somewhat explains it, thanks

Old
09-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Im ambidextrious and usually play right-shooting.. but can honestly play left as well.

I can switch hit in baseball but usually favor the right side there as well, and dont switch hit often.... although I CAN, I find it better to focus on one side.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:21 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

It also makes playing with just 1 hand on the stick a lot easier

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:24 AM
DimaNYR

Old
09-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

The top hand controls the stick, the bottom hand just "swings" it

A big difference between hockey and sports like baseball and golf is that the hands are seperated on the stick, so they act more independently.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:40 AM
WanderingRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

I agree with this statement, and it fits for me. Im a right-handed person but i play left-handed, my brother is left-handed but plays right-handed. I remember when we were kids and first had sticks bought by our dad who bought them thinking id be a righty, and my brother a lefty., We soon realized that we played better with each others sticks...so we just swapped them over.

Also i find by having your dominant hand at the top of the stick you get much better control and strength when having to play one handed, say when shouldering the puck from an opposing player.

WanderingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 06:40 AM
DimaNYR

still to me, the question remains - why the majority of right handed players use their left hands to actually shoot the puck? (i'd think they get a more powerfull shot if they use their "proper" hand to make the actuall swipe at the puck)..... ok i'm confusing myself....

Old
09-18-2007, 07:32 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEKJIO View Post
still to me, the question remains - why the majority of right handed players use their left hands to actually shoot the puck? (i'd think they get a more powerfull shot if they use their "proper" hand to make the actuall swipe at the puck)..... ok i'm confusing myself....
I think it's more about control than about strength of shot.

Most of the energy generated for a slap shot is from body tourque so it's not really about power from a dominant side.

As mentioned above, if the need arises to play the puck with one hand, you'd want your stronger arm holding the stick, why I don't do that I don't know, but I've never felt comfortable holding a stick left handed but I do concede something when playing the puck with the stick in my left hand as I am weaker in that arm.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:28 AM
ogie

I'm right handed and use a righty stick. When i first started playing i was using a lefty stick but soon realized that i got alot more control and zip on my wrist shots using a right handed stick so i switched.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:58 AM
squishy

I'm right handed and shot right handed (not that I've played since I was a teenager.) But I was ambidextrous as a kid and didn't really settle on my right hand till I was more or less forced to by teachers in school. Once I started doing all my writing with my right hand, that hand became a lot more dominant in other things as well.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Hankenstein

If I use a forward (regular) stick, I'm a right handed shot. It feels most natural that way.

The thing that sucks is, I'm a goalie and I hold a goalie stick in my right hand. This makes me a lefty shot with the goal stick. This also makes me a terrible, terrible mess when trying to play the puck behind the net.

Hankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Fletch

I'm righty...

and I shoot right-handed, but am not a very good shooter - maybe if I had tried lefty I coulda been a contender.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
GAGLine

An older kid down the street told my brother that you are supposed to play hockey lefty if you are right-handed and righty if your are left-handed. Of course, my brother then told that to me, so I've always played with a left-handed stick.

Looking back on it, it makes sense to me because of the control thing that others have mentioned. Whenever I try to use a right-handed stick it feels awkward. Though I'm sure that if I had never gotten that "advice" when I started playing, I would have played righty with no difference in my game (I would still stink ).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you are a righty and you use your right hand on top they say it's for two purposes.

1. They say the creative side of your brain is connected to the left side of the body. Therefore in theory, playing as a lefty would make a player more creative. Not sure if this is true or not.

2. The most logical reason... If you ever try fancy one-handed stickhandling moves or basically any time you need to carry the puck using one hand (which can be quite often depending on what kind of player you are), using the left hand to carry the puck when it's not your dominant hand can be very hard to downright impossible in certain situations.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Your dominant hand is your control hand and your off hand is your strength hand. Control hand belongs on the top but that said, if you learn from day one to do things in an alternate manner, nature has a way of adjusting. My son (right handed) batted left handed his entire life and plays hockey right handed.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
The_Great_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Your dominant hand is your control hand and your off hand is your strength hand. Control hand belongs on the top but that said, if you learn from day one to do things in an alternate manner, nature has a way of adjusting. My son (right handed) batted left handed his entire life and plays hockey right handed.
That is exactly how I am. Right handed for everything except swinging a baseball bat.

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
I read a thing on this in USA hockey a while back, and wrote a page paper on it... it goes like this (ill try to keep it short)

- Most People prefer a ceratain hand over another, aka their strong hand, ill use myself for an example. I am right handed, I shoot Left when I play hockey, this has its advantages and Disadvantages.
- Advantage to strong hand on top (aka my Left): Better controll with one hand (poke Check), Overall a quicker sense of puck Control, a generally lower shot (at first until you learn), Good passer, along with a bunch of other visual stuff USA hockey pointed out
- Advantages to having strong hand on bottom (aka my right): Quicker, more accurate, stronger shot (at first until skill level rises), A good pass reciever, Better play with off hand of stick (like body positionnig and such), along with more stuff.

It really doesnt matter because you end up learning the skills, but at first and probobly all through high school you can tell a players strong hand on a stick.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
This is very odd, I'm righty and shoot righty, and never thought twice about it until reading this. I have a great shot, but also a decent backhander so I guess it's win-win... I couldn't imagine playing with a lefty stick though.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
The_Great_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
This is very odd, I'm righty and shoot righty, and never thought twice about it until reading this. I have a great shot, but also a decent backhander so I guess it's win-win... I couldn't imagine playing with a lefty stick though.
It's not really much of a change other than body mechanics. I switched for a season just to see how it would be since I bat left landed and it worked itself out after a few times. I still think I play and shoot better righty than lefty but switching over in a game can really screw a goalie and defenseman up

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Fun experiment:

A friend of mine, a fellow hockey player and also bowler, tried explaining to me that proper bowling mechanics were simlar to that of taking a slapshot...now I am not a great bowler by any means, and I'm right handed (shoot lefty). So i always bowled with my right hand. one night at the lanes, he told me to try bowling with my left hand and imagine I was taking a slapshot. After a few rolls, I got the hang of it and turns out he was right... I am still a crappy bowler but at least this helped

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im righty/righty. i never understood people batting lefty or shooting lefty even though they are righty. i just cant do it.

ive tried it, but it doesnt work for me, it just feels...unnatural, and i get all confused when trying to shoot lol. it feels very awkward.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
lotus

I do everything right handed except hockey where I shoot left. When I think about it, it's the same as holding a Baseball bat only to the ground....so I feel like I should be able to switch hit. Need to give that a shot some day.

I prefer right wing because its easier to rip one-timers from your off wing. On the other hand sometimes I like the left side because it's far easier to cut into the middle of the ice for a shot from the slot, than it would be from my offwing. Not that it's impossible, I just feel like I can maintain speed and control better when protecting the puck with my forehand side.

But I really want to give switch hitting a try ^.^

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote