HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Season Tickets

Old
09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Rangers Season Tickets

Does anyone know if you get season tickets, can it be a tax write-off?

Can you buy the rights to the seats if someone is willing to sell them?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
no you cant buy rights, the onyl way rights can be transferred is if its in your family and u need to show proof of id, i called the garden and asked them

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc1709 View Post
no you cant buy rights, the onyl way rights can be transferred is if its in your family and u need to show proof of id, i called the garden and asked them
ok thanks, one question answered.

Old
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
jfreda13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Does anyone know if you get season tickets, can it be a tax write-off?

Can you buy the rights to the seats if someone is willing to sell them?
YOU CAN ONLY TRANSFER TICKETS TO FAMILY AND YOU CAN WRITE YOUR SEASON TICKETS OFF.

jfreda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
broadwayblue

You can only write them off if it is actually a legitimate business expense...meaning you take clients to the games (as opposed to your children, friends, or whoever.) Plus, you can only take a certain percentage of the cost of the tickets (I believe it's 50%) as the actual deduction.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
patnyrnyg

My accountant gets very shady. He knows how to push the envelope just far enough to not raise any red flags. I asked him about my season tixx, i have Rangers, 1/2 giants and a mets plan, and he said no.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
My accountant gets very shady. He knows how to push the envelope just far enough to not raise any red flags. I asked him about my season tixx, i have Rangers, 1/2 giants and a mets plan, and he said no.
Well, he must have said no since you weren't using the tickets as a legitimate business expense.

"Sports tickets usually fall under the "meals and entertainment" tax rules, which limit your deduction to 50 percent of your actual cost. So if you use two $150 tickets to take a client to see a hockey game, your tax deduction would be $150."

"In order to deduct 50 percent of the tickets' face value plus the costs of food and beverages, you must have a written record of the amount of the expense, including receipts, as well as the time and place of the entertainment, the nature of the business that was discussed, and the business relationship between you and the person who was entertained."

Old
09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
patnyrnyg

I have a few jobs where I am paid as an independent contractor. Very easy to write stuff off against. He let me write off a decen amount as advertising expense.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Smashley

Quick question but I didn't think it was worth making its own thread over....

What is the letter of the last row in the 300's?

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Quick question but I didn't think it was worth making its own thread over....

What is the letter of the last row in the 300's?
The 300 sections alters in size, because the actual garden is a circle while the arena itself is an oval shape. The 300 seats behind the net go to Row G, while center ice goes all the way to O I believe.

For club seats: A-M
100: A-F
200: A-E
400: A-G

Also, anyone ever notice there is never a row "I"? They skip over it, like "G..H..J..K"

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyR424 View Post
Also, anyone ever notice there is never a row "I"? They skip over it, like "G..H..J..K"
Probably because some jackass will probably think it means "one." Otherwise IDK, cause I've noticed that too.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You can only write them off if it is actually a legitimate business expense...meaning you take clients to the games (as opposed to your children, friends, or whoever.) Plus, you can only take a certain percentage of the cost of the tickets (I believe it's 50%) as the actual deduction.
Correct. You can write off 50% of the cost of both tickets--if you take a client to the game and talk business at some point. If you give the tickets away to a client (not going as the host), then you can only write off $25 per client (as a gift).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I have a few jobs where I am paid as an independent contractor. Very easy to write stuff off against. He let me write off a decen amount as advertising expense.
Not tickets to games (as an advertising expense)--that's not kosher at all. Plus, independent contractors' returns are looked at much more closely by the IRS, so don't play that game with entertainment expenses.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 09-19-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old
09-19-2007, 09:35 AM
coolbean04

How many of you actually go to 41 games? Or 30+ games a year? Do most of you get season tickets and get rid of a good amount?

Old
09-19-2007, 09:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
How many of you actually go to 41 games? Or 30+ games a year? Do most of you get season tickets and get rid of a good amount?
This is my first year with all 41 games, I'm going to about 20 or 21. It's too hard to get to all of them, plus it costs too much for me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
I dont want to speak for season ticket holders, but from my experience many season ticket holders sell a good deal of their games. Just take a look at the sticky on the top of the forum, many people sell their tix. Luckily for guys like me who could not get them from the box office I can now go and buy them from members on here for face and avoid any service charges

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
squishy

Quote:
We aim for about 25-30 games a year. Generally we do all weekend games, but specifically in Nov-Dec have trouble getting in on weeknights.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I sell 10-15 games depending on price. I look to cut my cost to 1/2 season tickets so this yr, getting more then double face without selling leetch/opening night I'll be selling much fewer games. I also sell one or 2 in the heart of the playoff race to offset the cost of the playoffs as I never sell those games.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:11 PM
jhnyr

I went to I think 38 games last season.

I was planning on going to all the games this season, too... but with the prices where they are... I'd be a fool not to sell of some of the tickets.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:21 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I sell 10-15 games depending on price. I look to cut my cost to 1/2 season tickets so this yr, getting more then double face without selling leetch/opening night I'll be selling much fewer games. I also sell one or 2 in the heart of the playoff race to offset the cost of the playoffs as I never sell those games.

I think that's what alot of people are doing this season.

I used to go to almost every game the 1st few seasons I had tix but once the kids come along and all that comes with it you start looking to get to 1/2 the season which is what I'm doing this year, probrably around 25 games.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
coolbean04

With season tickets getting really expensive. Do you think the front office should do more for their season ticket holders? For example, give away autographs and or more memorabilia? Autographs don't cost anything except players time (which they should be up for it since it's season ticket holders) while the autographs go along way for fans. How cool would it be to have a poster with the 2007-2008 team with an autograph next to every players name. I'd love to get that framed and on the wall.

Old
09-19-2007, 01:28 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
With season tickets getting really expensive. Do you think the front office should do more for their season ticket holders? For example, give away autographs and or more memorabilia? Autographs don't cost anything except players time (which they should be up for it since it's season ticket holders) while the autographs go along way for fans. How cool would it be to have a poster with the 2007-2008 team with an autograph next to every players name. I'd love to get that framed and on the wall.
Great idea. Suggest it to your season ticket rep. Or start a thread here, and once we get enough people in it posting agreement, send the link to the ticket rep, and the season ticket manager for the Garden. Lafeminia, I think his name is.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Personally I'd be happy if they would just give us a hat or t-shirt at a game. It's been 4 years now since we've gotten one. PATHETIC. Unfortunately this franchise doesn't care about its season subscribers.

Old
09-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Personally I'd be happy if they would just give us a hat or t-shirt at a game. It's been 4 years now since we've gotten one. PATHETIC. Unfortunately this franchise doesn't care about its season subscribers.
Agreed. They used to have give away nights all the time back in the late 1900s, early 2000s--I have a bunch of tee-shirts and at least 3 baseball caps from that period. I guess they've been having trouble getting companies to sponser the giveaways???

Old
09-19-2007, 04:10 PM
darrenturcotte#8

The org is clearly more a business then anything else. The fact that prices are so high proves they can piss all over season ticketholders and we will come back for more. You would think they would learn from the Knicks and realize that when you aren't winning, the only thing that fills the seats is loyalty and when you treat you fans poorly, there is none.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote