HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brodeur praises Lemieux

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 06:55 AM
dats-13

vCash: 500
Brodeur praises Lemieux

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=67191

thought it was interesting...if its already posted my bad don't flame me

Old
01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I haven't seen it posted elsewhere (probably due to it's lack of negativity).....good find. It's always nice to see 'praise' alongside 'Lemieux' every once in a blue moon on these boards, though if he does in fact play in the World Cup, you can bank on waves of criticism....

Old
01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
PEli*

Yeah, I saw this in the morning on TSN.ca. I have it up on the Devils board but nobody has seemed to take an interest in it.

I especially liked the quote about Lemieux on one leg still being better than three quarters of the guys on the ice.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower 3:16
It's always nice to see 'praise' alongside 'Lemieux' every once in a blue moon on these boards, though if he does in fact play in the World Cup, you can bank on waves of criticism....
And the criticisms would be damn well deserved.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I can already understand where you're coming from but I think people will take offense to it. Rightfully so, as well.

If the guy isn't healthy enough to play now but is healthy next year, why should he be criticized? If NHLers could control when they were injured and when they weren't, there would be no injuries.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:35 PM
dats-13

Quote:
yea...a guy who has played his heart out for this game doesn't deserve one last shot at glory....

i usually agree with you but this time im 100% against you

Old
01-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
I can already understand where you're coming from but I think people will take offense to it. Rightfully so, as well.

If the guy isn't healthy enough to play now but is healthy next year, why should he be criticized? If NHLers could control when they were injured and when they weren't, there would be no injuries.
That's the point with Mario. He has been spoiled even before he became an owner. He controls pretty much everything from the trades that go down, to his ice time, his linemates and the coaches who are nominated or fired. And of course when he can or cannot play depending on what's at stakes and how he feels about it.

The guy is ruining his franchise and screwing up fans (who remain blindly loyal to him for reasons I can't understand). He's treating the Pens like a toy.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
yea...a guy who has played his heart out for this game doesn't deserve one last shot at glory....

i usually agree with you but this time im 100% against you
Hey, we can't always agree. No harm in that!

I have to say, I much prefer guys like Yzerman, who have their priorities (their one and only team) straight and are real dedicated warriors. They create a winning climate around them, don't whine and don't try to control everything.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:20 PM
dats-13

Quote:
That's the point with Mario. He has been spoiled even before he became an owner. He controls pretty much everything from the trades that go down, to his ice time, his linemates and the coaches who are nominated or fired. And of course when he can or cannot play depending on what's at stakes and how he feels about it.

The guy is ruining his franchise and screwing up fans (who remain blindly loyal to him for reasons I can't understand). He's treating the Pens like a toy.
give him a break though he's stuck on the pens...that much suck

he lets rookies there that can't find a home stay with him

he's a classy guy that will deservingly go down as one of the best players of all time...he plays when his body lets him play....and is willing (i think he already did) to take paycuts fir the good of the franchise...

Old
01-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Vlad, I'll take off the pollyanish glasses here :p if you take off the cynical glasses for a second and look at the current instance (putting aside the other horrible things you suggest Mario has done to the Pittsburgh franchise.)

Let's believe for a moment that his doctors sincerely recommend hip surgery and an end to this NHL season. Then, let's imagine that he is healthy by the time the World Cup commences, and his services are wanted.

Should he not go?

Why should anyone care about the article anyway? Just an overrated goalie commenting about a selfish guy who should retire. :p

Old
01-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Vlad, I'll take off the pollyanish glasses here :p if you take off the cynical glasses for a second and look at the current instance (putting aside the other horrible things you suggest Mario has done to the Pittsburgh franchise.)

Let's believe for a moment that his doctors sincerely recommend hip surgery and an end to this NHL season. Then, let's imagine that he is healthy by the time the World Cup commences, and his services are wanted.

Should he not go?
Depends. I have mixed views on this issue. On one hand, if we believe Mario is a plus for the Pens franchise and that he should have the interests of the Pens and his NHL career to heart, I say he shouldn't go. Because his health is fragile, he may compromise the next season. That's what a NHL warrior and real winner would do, I think. I'd make an exception for the Olympics.

On the other hand now, if we believe Mario's double-duty as owner/player is hurting the Pens (and it IS the case, IMO), then he might as well go to International play.

So, as you can see, no matter what Mario does here, I don't think I can really approve because he's not working the problems either way. he is a huge distraction which requires high-maintenance.

Best thing would be for him to either sell the team and remain a player OR retire and manage this franchise like someone who actually cares and has the competency required. Right now, he is doing neither and all I see is a franchise going down the drain.

I love his talent. Great, great player. But I could do without the extra baggage he carries with him.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Fair POV and one I cannot really debate. One draws a major distinction between your reasonable opinion and one who rejoices in pushing an all-timer into retirement.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Funny how not a single Penguins fan would even think that Lemieux is screwing the fans(mariano doesn't count, he's not from this planet)...oh wait, that's because he's not.

Without Lemieux we don't have a team, plain and simple.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:38 AM
davemess

With a long lock out and possibly no NHL season at all next year, wouldnt the world cup be an ideal opertunity for Mario to test out how his repaired hip is holding up before he decides if he can return for another season?

Closed Thread