HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Barret Jackman out for season (officially)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 06:57 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Barret Jackman out for season (officially)

From the Blues to the members of their mailing list...

Blues Defenseman Barret Jackman
Sidelined For Remainder Of The Season

St. Louis, MO, Jan. 8, 2004 - Senior Vice President and General Manager Larry Pleau announced today that defenseman Barret Jackman will be sidelined for the remainder of the season.

Jackman was reexamined by the Blues' team physician Dr. Rick Wright, of Barnes Jewish Hospital yesterday and the examination revealed that Jackman suffered a dislocation of his left shoulder. Surgery will be scheduled at a later date to repair the injured shoulder and Jackman will miss the remainder of the season.

Jackman re-injured the shoulder during the first period in Monday's game versus Minnesota.

# # #

Old
01-08-2004, 07:01 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Time for Pronger to step it up on the D. Is he up to playing 30 mins a night like he's done before?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:05 AM
degroat*

I'm not sure how much more he can step it up. He has been as good this season as ever.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:15 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I'm not sure how much more he can step it up. He has been as good this season as ever.
Two of their top 3 d-men out? They'll be relying on Pronger more than ever. At least before there was a chance Jackman was coming back, so Pronger could just "hold the fort" so to speak. Now, Jackman's out for the season and MacInnis may not even play hockey again. But the Blues have a few gems in their prospects in terms of forwards. Got any that'll help on the blueline?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:22 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Two of their top 3 d-men out? They'll be relying on Pronger more than ever. At least before there was a chance Jackman was coming back, so Pronger could just "hold the fort" so to speak.
I'm almost more worried about what it will do to the team mentally. The Blues have only had Jackman for 10 or 11 games this season and MacInnis for only 2. So they've done pretty well with the current defense.

Quote:
Now, Jackman's out for the season and MacInnis may not even play hockey again. But the Blues have a few gems in their prospects in terms of forwards. Got any that'll help on the blueline?
What has helped with the loss of MacInnis is Backman has finally started to come around. He was drafted in 1998 in the 1st round and just took longer to develop than most.

Matt Walker is also a younger dman that was supposed to be on the team full-time this year but he has been injured all season. Not sure what that'll do to his progress.

Other than those two, the pickings get a little slim for at least another year. There are two decent guys in the minors... Trevor Byrne and Mike Stuart. Byrne definately won't be ready to make the jump next year. Stuart, maybe.

Beyond that... it's pretty much Shawn Belle at this point. There are a few other guys drafted a little later the last two years, but nobody has really developed into anything close to a sure thing at this point.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Peter Griffin

The Blues should be looking for another top 4 d-man in the near future. Chris Pronger has probably been the best d-man thus far, but when Bryce Salvador or Murray Baron is your #2 guy on most nights, not even Pronger can make up the difference.

On a side note, Blues fans must really hate Bertuzzi!

Old
01-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Murray Baron in a top-4 role...*shudder*

Things look dire in St. Louis.

I expect Roman Hamrlik to land there shortly.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Shane

With MacInnis out for the season, has Pronger resumed the position of captain?

Old
01-08-2004, 11:44 AM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

On a side note, Blues fans must really hate Bertuzzi!
It seems pretty flukey that one guy can do so much damage. Bert doesn't even hit very often... most of the time he floats around but I think he really had a dislike for Jackman.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:46 PM
degroat*

MacInnis is not out for the season. No one knows when or if he will be back but he is supposed to get a contact this week (finally) to fix his vision in the bad eye. If that corrects his vision, I can't see why he wouldn't be back but when is still a questoin.

And, no. The Blues are playing with three alternates: Tkachuk, Mellanby, & Weight.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
It seems pretty flukey that one guy can do so much damage. Bert doesn't even hit very often... most of the time he floats around but I think he really had a dislike for Jackman.
Bad call by Jackman, he really asked for it.

The key with Bertuzzi is to not wake the sleeping giant. As long as he isn't pissed off, he can I agree float around a little, especially this year.

But I saw that game and Jackman was looking for trouble and playing is usual annoying, dirty, cheap game. I couldn't be happier when Bert hammered him like there was no tomorrow.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I read somewhere that Bert said he let up just before the Hit he didn't hit Jackman with everything yet even then it still knocked jackman into next season...

Old
01-08-2004, 02:31 PM
degroat*

Great.

Now Salvador is hurt too and will miss at least two more games.

For the 2nd time this season, the Blues will reach down to their 10th or 11th man on the depth chart.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Bad call by Jackman, he really asked for it.

The key with Bertuzzi is to not wake the sleeping giant. As long as he isn't pissed off, he can I agree float around a little, especially this year.

But I saw that game and Jackman was looking for trouble and playing is usual annoying, dirty, cheap game. I couldn't be happier when Bert hammered him like there was no tomorrow.
Name ONE thing that Jackman has ever done that was cheap.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:35 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Time for Pronger to step it up on the D. Is he up to playing 30 mins a night like he's done before?
Pronger has stepped it up all year and has played at or near his Hart and Norris form. I am not sure how much more can be expected of him. This injury hurts the Blues a ton no matter how you slice it.

Al MacInnis is likely done
Jackman is done for the year
Bryce Salvador is going to miss some time with a wrist injury

That My friends is 3 of their top 4 D-men that is a tough tough blow for anyone.

Their top 6 right now could look like

Pronger-Baron
Finley-Khavanov
LaFlamme Backman-Stuart

As a Blues fan that scares the **** out of me

Old
01-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
it still knocked jackman into next season...
Apparently literally.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
I read somewhere that Bert said he let up just before the Hit he didn't hit Jackman with everything yet even then it still knocked jackman into next season...
if you watch the replay in slow motion, you can see that he did let up, just a bit. when bert feels like it he's a wrecking crew, one of the most fearsome hitters in the game. wish he hit more often... I'll never forget his behind-the-net hit on salvador from game seven vs. the blues.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Name ONE thing that Jackman has ever done that was cheap.
His overall game is just cheap. I'll be sure to count the number of slashes from behind, yapping and moaning when he gets back from that glorious *****slapping he asked and got.

I'll have a pen next to me and write them down. But that'll be next season, unfortunately for our poor Barret :p

Old
01-08-2004, 05:43 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
From the Blues to the members of their mailing list...

Blues Defenseman Barret Jackman
Sidelined For Remainder Of The Season

St. Louis, MO, Jan. 8, 2004 - Senior Vice President and General Manager Larry Pleau announced today that defenseman Barret Jackman will be sidelined for the remainder of the season.

Jackman was reexamined by the Blues' team physician Dr. Rick Wright, of Barnes Jewish Hospital yesterday and the examination revealed that Jackman suffered a dislocation of his left shoulder. Surgery will be scheduled at a later date to repair the injured shoulder and Jackman will miss the remainder of the season.

Jackman re-injured the shoulder during the first period in Monday's game versus Minnesota.

# # #
Sounds similar to the Volchenkov injury.. Both young, physical guys with shoulder injuries out for the season.. Hopefully they will have a speedy recovery for the playoffs..

Old
01-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Plager05

Quote:
His overall game is just cheap. I'll be sure to count the number of slashes from behind.
Ok, 90% of hockey players are cheap by this definition.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
degroat*

Quote:
His overall game is just cheap. I'll be sure to count the number of slashes from behind, yapping and moaning when he gets back from that glorious *****slapping he asked and got.

I'll have a pen next to me and write them down. But that'll be next season, unfortunately for our poor Barret :p
You do know that Jackman was the guy wearing the Blue jersey with #5 on the back, right? "Yapping and moaning" doesn't describe Barret Jackman at all. However, it does describe Bertuzzi quite well.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
You do know that Jackman was the guy wearing the Blue jersey with #5 on the back, right? "Yapping and moaning" doesn't describe Barret Jackman at all. However, it does describe Bertuzzi quite well.
True. But he stepped up and backed the talk. Something Jackman was unable to do with his cowardly slashes. He had the last word and that's in the end what counts. Justice was served was Barret! :p

Old
01-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05
Ok, 90% of hockey players are cheap by this definition.
I would say it's probably more in the 5% if we go by Jackman's frequency.

If we mean over an entire player's career, it probably fits the description of 97% of all players, yes.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:

Barret Jackman's game is great. He's a hardnosed defenseman who likes to make trouble for other team. Who wouldn't want him? You'd take him...

Old
01-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Barret Jackman's game is great. He's a hardnosed defenseman who likes to make trouble for other team. Who wouldn't want him? You'd take him...
Hell yes! I would in an instant. However, I'd wish he toned down a little bit on some of the nastier, cowardly stuff. On my team or not.

Closed Thread