HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Barret Jackman out for season (officially)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 08:58 PM
cc

vCash: 500
I don't know how it happened bit Bert had some broken bones going into the Minny series that he said he recieved from the St. Louis series. I had assumed that the person who caused it was Jackman based on Bert's animosity towards him but it could have been anybody.
I like Jackman quite a bit as well but I would also like to see him tone down on the stick work. I thought he shares some similarities to Chop-happy Chelios but also like Chelios, he's a warrior who plays like his life depends on it.

Old
01-08-2004, 10:36 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Murray Baron in a top-4 role...*shudder*

Things look dire in St. Louis.

I expect Roman Hamrlik to land there shortly.
Not unless we can steal him, we have too many injuries to key guys to mortgage the future.

Old
01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
His overall game is just cheap. I'll be sure to count the number of slashes from behind, yapping and moaning when he gets back from that glorious *****slapping he asked and got.

I'll have a pen next to me and write them down. But that'll be next season, unfortunately for our poor Barret :p
Jackman is far from cheap Vlad, he is old school and for the most part will take as good as he gives?

Old
01-08-2004, 10:40 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Hell yes! I would in an instant. However, I'd wish he toned down a little bit on some of the nastier, cowardly stuff. On my team or not.
Why is it that every player that plays with some Balls now days and hits to hurt if given the opportunity is cowardly?

Old
01-08-2004, 11:03 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Why is it that every player that plays with some Balls now days and hits to hurt if given the opportunity is cowardly?
I agree , Jackman is hardly cowardly. He is as tough as they come. He can back up his actions. And he'll fight anyone. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Well I partly agree with you. You probably think I see all of jackman's game as unnecessary. I do not.

I'd take him every day on my team. And I like the fact he has GREATLY improved since juniors. He is much more focused than he was back then and his ability to read plays and anticipate is twice what it used to be. He's tough as nails and I like that as well. I don't mind hits, I don't mind being rough.

But some of the stick work, it has to go, man. I think I've read a couple of your posts elsewhere and if I remember well you're a fan of tough guys. That's fine but tough guys don't need sticks. The league doesn't need that stuff.

Speaking of the Blues, this reminds me of Pronger. I really admire him but I catch a couple of Blues games every year and I don't think a year has gone by without me seeing Pronger slash people who just scored on the Blues. It's not needed. Pronger is a defensive monster and can be an intimidating presence and it should stay that way. But once the whistle is blown or a goal is scored, I don't think you need to do that stuff. I think it's dirty.

So to answer your question, I don't think it is necesarly cowardly to hurt guys if it's done straight by the book. It's a little dirty but that's part of the game. However some of the stuff from behind, and the stickwork I can do without.

I still like Jackman. But he had it coming. It raises the intensity of the game and I'll be sure to watch him next year against the Canucks. Should be great intense games. If Jackman has a chance and takes out Bertuzzi cleanly (I wouldn't bank on it but hey, could happen!) more power to him. Personally I watched that game and thought he deserved to be taught a lesson. What's even better is that it was great clean hit. So there's some irony here for Barret.

One other thing about hitting to hurt: I don't agree that the game should be 100% safe, however there is some stuff right now that is really scary. The players are really beats of conditioning but no matter how strong the body can be, the brain remains pretty much as scuceptible to concussions as it was in the old days. We can't deny that the game *may* need adjustments because I tell you, right now there are a lot of powerful, fast guys in this league. Way more than in the old days. There may come a time where any head contact will have to be banned, clean shoulders or not for instance. This is not entirely related to the thread but still food for thoughts.

Old
01-09-2004, 12:27 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Well I partly agree with you. You probably think I see all of jackman's game as unnecessary. I do not.

I'd take him every day on my team. And I like the fact he has GREATLY improved since juniors. He is much more focused than he was back then and his ability to read plays and anticipate is twice what it used to be. He's tough as nails and I like that as well. I don't mind hits, I don't mind being rough.

But some of the stick work, it has to go, man. I think I've read a couple of your posts elsewhere and if I remember well you're a fan of tough guys. That's fine but tough guys don't need sticks. The league doesn't need that stuff.

Speaking of the Blues, this reminds me of Pronger. I really admire him but I catch a couple of Blues games every year and I don't think a year has gone by without me seeing Pronger slash people who just scored on the Blues. It's not needed. Pronger is a defensive monster and can be an intimidating presence and it should stay that way. But once the whistle is blown or a goal is scored, I don't think you need to do that stuff. I think it's dirty.

So to answer your question, I don't think it is necesarly cowardly to hurt guys if it's done straight by the book. It's a little dirty but that's part of the game. However some of the stuff from behind, and the stickwork I can do without.

I still like Jackman. But he had it coming. It raises the intensity of the game and I'll be sure to watch him next year against the Canucks. Should be great intense games. If Jackman has a chance and takes out Bertuzzi cleanly (I wouldn't bank on it but hey, could happen!) more power to him. Personally I watched that game and thought he deserved to be taught a lesson. What's even better is that it was great clean hit. So there's some irony here for Barret.

One other thing about hitting to hurt: I don't agree that the game should be 100% safe, however there is some stuff right now that is really scary. The players are really beats of conditioning but no matter how strong the body can be, the brain remains pretty much as scuceptible to concussions as it was in the old days. We can't deny that the game *may* need adjustments because I tell you, right now there are a lot of powerful, fast guys in this league. Way more than in the old days. There may come a time where any head contact will have to be banned, clean shoulders or not for instance. This is not entirely related to the thread but still food for thoughts.
I think if you remove the contact from the game you are killing hockey. The physical aspects of the game are what make it great. Is someone going to get their bell rung from time to time, Hell Yeah but that is part of the game.

Do Jackman and Pronger use their sticks from time to to time hell year they do, But you could call a slash on every rush up the ice all players slash a bit.

To me a "Dirty guy" is a guy like Ulf Samuellson or Bryan Marchment who stick their knees out and ruin careers.

Also Jackman couldnt have been too bad in Juniors he was the Youngest Captain in Regina Pats history?

Old
01-09-2004, 01:50 AM
EroCaps

Sergei Gonchar is available, yes?

Old
01-09-2004, 02:00 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Sergei Gonchar is available, yes?
If you are talking about from a Blues perspective. Again I say only if we can steal him because we as of right now have too many holes to mortgage the future.

Old
01-09-2004, 02:12 AM
teme

Quote:
I think this is a sensible position and fully agree. I don't like it either, but something has to give and the rules were made at the time when 6-0 200 was huge and the game was played on walking space compared to today. We're on a road to on ice fatalities and I hope something is done before it comes to that. Equipment changes may help, better helmets and mandating softer shoulder pads, but a rule banning intentional hits in the head in NHL is a matter of time (International rule of banning all hits to head is unfair and unreasonable, even if including intention means that the Ref is left to do a lot of head scracthing when Chara bumps St. Louis.) Oh and get rid of stupid instigator penalty for removing helmet, it's the prime reason guys don't wear shield or strap their helmets properly.

Edit: sp

Last edited by teme: 01-09-2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 03:17 AM
psycho_dad

I agree with Vlad and Teme. While I enjoy hard hitting as much as anyone, there should be at least some respect between players. It's not a game of life and death, they are not gladiators trying to survive by killing the opponent. Speed and size is not what it used to be, these guys are monsters compared to the old days. People are cheering for Scott Stevens hits...hell why not, they look great, but you can stop a guy with a little less than that. You dont need to end someones career, just take them off the play. After all, they are all humans and most have kids etc. Accidents may happen, but there are things each player can do to make it a little safer for everyone.

About Barrets cheap stuff...well the first thing that came to mind was the game where Kariya got injured, second game of the year or so. Pronger cheapshot Kariya and Jackman slashed Selšnne at the same time.

Closed Thread