HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were to do one thing to get us over the hump...

Old
09-18-2007, 08:55 PM
IceBreaker

vCash: 500
If you were to do one thing to get us over the hump...

If you were JD, and you could do one thing to improve its chances of securing a playoff spot (won't that be a great day!), what would it be?

You can be creative. Just try to be realistic.

Maybe a healthy Forsberg in Swede Louis for most of a season would have a better result than Nashville had last year?

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
General Veers

i think jd, jarmo, larry,andy,and the gang have already done things to get us over the hump by creating stability on the team. (i'm not being a smartmouth, i'm just optimistic)

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
ChicagoBlues

I agree with Darth. JD and company have done all they can. I would be very leery of bringing in someone like Forsberg etc. because of his injury problems and also because I think it would throw off the chemistry (assuming we will have at least some team chemistry).

As mentioned in another thread, our roster has room for just one more forward.
And we have a couple forwards that are ready to take that spot.

I want to see Linglet on the opening-day roster.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
IceBreaker

You both make a good point, and I am also think JD has done a great job. The franchise is in great hands.

But there is a difference between saying there is only one forward spot available, and saying on the other hand that perhaps we could improve upon a couple of the forwards we have on the roster.

Do we think we have top-10 goaltending?

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 05:05 PM
breakingaway

Goal

Looking at last year's stats. we were near the bottom in goals scored and close to the middle of the pack in goals allowed.

An order of more GOALS, please.

We need to better offensive whether via Kariya, Johnson, having KT for the whole season, Rucinsky, better Stemp, a combination of any of these factors, via a trade, or through another avenue (that almost covers it)

breakingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
I think I would trade some of our goaltending depth for one top notch goaltender.
Reasoning would be...we all know Blues could use more scoring, but we have also seen that great goaltending will get you into the playoffs. ex. Vancouver. After all the original poster said get us into the playoffs, not win the cup. This would never happen, but I would love to get a Luongo, Turco, Kipper, basically any goalie in the Northwest, except for Rolloson.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Plagers4Ever

Simply put, I would play the kids more during the first half of the season. This gives them invaluable experience and allows them to mature into better players more quickly. The decreased ice time for the veterans allows them, at their age, to be fresher for the playoffs. At playoff time, you play the hot hand, whether it be the kids or the vets.

Obviously, this takes as an assumption that the Blues can make the playoffs given the increased time given the kids.

But, as a long-term fan, I think I would even rather just miss the playoffs this year IF it means that Berglund, EJ, Polak, Perron, Wagner, Birnier, etc. play extensively this year and are that much more ready to make a serious run at going deeper into the playoffs in 2009. Just remember how much the increased ice time allowed Stempniak and Backes to develop ahead of schedule.

Plagers4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
stlbluz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
If you were JD, and you could do one thing to improve its chances of securing a playoff spot (won't that be a great day!), what would it be?

You can be creative. Just try to be realistic.

Maybe a healthy Forsberg in Swede Louis for most of a season would have a better result than Nashville had last year?

I'll pass on a guy that waits until December to see which team is doing the best before he signs anywhere.

stlbluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I agree with Darth. JD and company have done all they can. I would be very leery of bringing in someone like Forsberg etc. because of his injury problems and also because I think it would throw off the chemistry (assuming we will have at least some team chemistry).

As mentioned in another thread, our roster has room for just one more forward.
And we have a couple forwards that are ready to take that spot.

I want to see Linglet on the opening-day roster.
I agree. I would like to see what Linglet can do now. Better now than later when Oshie and others are ready later in the year.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 11:53 PM
MU_Beerman

I agree, I think the Blues are in a good position now. Our top line now with Kariya and Boyes (seems like everybody forgets about Boyes, I think that acquisition was HUGE) is leaps and bounds better than last years.

We will have the kid line intact from opening night, which clicked well in the 2nd & third quarter of the season. Confidence can only be higher with the World Championship tourneys these guys had. I expect big things from Backes this year in his first full season. Stempy and JayMac were reportedly the team leading Gym rats in the offseason.

On Dougie's line, Marty R is healthy again and Cajanek seemes to have had a fire lit under him by being waived late last year. Granted we lost Billy G but if Perron makes the team (I'm still in the longshot camp on this) we could still have a nice threat to score with that line as well. If not it could still be a servicable third line, still more than we had last year on line #3. Didn't PC start out as the first line center? Gross.

And there's actually some interesting callup possibilities with Linglet, Birner, Lemtyugov, M. Kariya, Kana should injuries or ineffectiveness mount.

Defensively, look at this depth chart.

Brewer
Jackman
Mckee
Backman
Salvador
EJ
Woywitka
Polak
Walker
Wagner
Hellstrom

Need I say more? oh yeah, LET'S GO BLUES!

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote