HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Game day...Oilers vs Islanders jan8/04

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 04:38 PM
mbam99

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Terrible penalty for Smyth...boarder-line at best...
Salo in net and we win.
You cannot give up 2/3 bad goals on the road and expect a point
Another great game by Ulanov, played 2nd most minutes behind Brewer.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Mr Sakich

the diffrence in this game was dipietro was allowed to play the puck more than some of his dmen. It is a frickin crock that the league allows goalies to wonder like this. He even held the puck and put some head fakes on oiler forecheckers.

Stupid league changed the rules to "protect" the goalies and game suffers. Sometimes I wish torres would take a 2 minute penalty and drill dipietro through the end boards.

If the league wants to fix the game, here is a good place to start.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:44 PM
gretzky2kurri

The Oilers should have known from the first 2 periods that the refs were calling everything (on both teams). The Isles seemed to figure that out. But the Oilers cause a 5 on 3 against.....and Smyth does that.

Not near enough sizzle tonight is the storyline.

Let's hope this makes em ornery for Philly...........and not mice.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Lowetide

A game the Oilers could have won and should have gotten a point from, and the Smyth penalty was absolutely a terrible decision.

I do disagree with sentiment that Smyth has done nothing this season, although he's not at the level that he has reached in previous years. He had a big goal in the Minnesota game, and that wasn't so long ago that we can't remember.

Terrible play though, and the Oilers are digging a huge hole now.

To be honest, the biggest concern imo is that Lowe makes a knee jerk trade to get back into the race. Miro Satan can't save this team imo.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
The Oilers should have known from the first 2 periods that the refs were calling everything (on both teams).
actually to prove that wrong, there was no penalties in the 1st

unless you meant to say the last 2 periods

Old
01-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Oi'll say!

I never got to see the game, how did Ulanov play?

He played 23 mins and was a #1 by the stats sheet.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I never got to see the game, how did Ulanov play?

He played 23 mins and was a #1 by the stats sheet.
Ulanov was awesome IMO. he was the best Oiler on the ice minus York. He blocked a ton of shots and was dynamite moving the puck out of the zone with good first passes. It looks like he never left this team and it is a mystery why he hasn't had a job. I love this guy in the lineup and to me it solidifies a defensive corps that has been weak. Smith-Staios, Brewer-Cross, Ulanov-Semenov. Big boys and all of them able to play key roles. Fergie as #7 and Bergy where he belongs in the AHL. Unless a trade happens this is how I see it.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_brand
The ref's handed the Islanders that game. You don't call that crap with less than 2 minutes to go in a 2-2 game. Brutal.
It was a brutal call at that time of the game.However,it looked like a make up call for the trip on Aucoin in the corner that led to the tying goal by Cross.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Terrible penalty for Smyth...boarder-line at best...
I love them puns.
I agree, though. It was a borderline call.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Ulanov was awesome IMO. he was the best Oiler on the ice minus York. He blocked a ton of shots and was dynamite moving the puck out of the zone with good first passes. It looks like he never left this team and it is a mystery why he hasn't had a job. I love this guy in the lineup and to me it solidifies a defensive corps that has been weak. Smith-Staios, Brewer-Cross, Ulanov-Semenov. Big boys and all of them able to play key roles. Fergie as #7 and Bergy where he belongs in the AHL. Unless a trade happens this is how I see it.
Thx Walsher, that's good news. I just hope that MacT stays with his best players even at the expense of developing our young players from here on out. Every player in this organization (except maybe Rita) has had his deserved share of nhl icetime now, it's time to go full speed ahead with whoever's hot.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I agree. Many people thought Ulanov was just a filler move but I think he really strengthened the blue line, as can be seen by his play lately.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:54 PM
goldenchild

Smyth is really struggling why not re-unite him with hemsky instead of making Ales play with horecoff and Stoll. I like Stoll but Hemsky should not be playing with 4th liners.

I am not sure what Fernando Pisani has done to grant him a guaranteed roster spot. He isn't the problem by any means but I just don't see the purpose of playing him night after night and getting nothing offensivley. This team is replicated over and over with hard working no finish forwards why not give a kid like Rita or Salmo a chance. And after 2 nights off why was Conklin in? It's looking like a very frustrating season ahead.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Silver

Hemsky's been invisible lately. He's lucky he's on the fourth line and not in the pressbox.

Ulanov, York and Dvorak played well tonight (is anyone else as impressed as I am with Dvorak after his slow start? He's been a bit snakebitten, but he's out there trying every shift, which is something not a lot of Oilers can claim this year.)

Still, Igor played great. He's obviously not our savior, and I'd like to see Bergeron back (at the expense of Semenov right now, I think) but you've gotta keep Igor in there. All of a sudden our powerplay can hold the blueline with him on the ice.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:14 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
I agree. Many people thought Ulanov was just a filler move but I think he really strengthened the blue line, as can be seen by his play lately.
Its only his 2nd game...so lets just see. He may still be running on total adrenaline. But I have to agree, he's looked good so far and its nice to see a bonafide shot blocker...

Old
01-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Rooks Oilers

Worked night shift tonight, missed the game at its regular time but watched it when I got home ( I know pathetic :p ). Anyway back to the game, this was the first game for me to see Igor play and WOW I was pretty impressed. Like you all said moves the puck well, blocks shots and played OK on the PP. Now for the Smyth penalty, you got to be kidding me right? I saw the replays on Sportsnet before I watched the game and had a good chuckle, CHARGING they called, give me a break. Can't remember the player he hit ( Asham I think ), he turns and punches Smyth in the head after the hit and no penalty on that. I'm not here to complain about the call but it was afterall very borderline if anything. NO reason to bash Smyth for it. One other note it's nice to see Reasoner back in the lineup as well. Looking forward to Saturdays bout.

Thanks

Rooks Oilers

Old
01-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Worked night shift tonight, missed the game at its regular time but watched it when I got home ( I know pathetic :p ). Anyway back to the game, this was the first game for me to see Igor play and WOW I was pretty impressed. Like you all said moves the puck well, blocks shots and played OK on the PP. Now for the Smyth penalty, you got to be kidding me right? I saw the replays on Sportsnet before I watched the game and had a good chuckle, CHARGING they called, give me a break. Can't remember the player he hit ( Asham I think ), he turns and punches Smyth in the head after the hit and no penalty on that. I'm not here to complain about the call but it was afterall very borderline if anything. NO reason to bash Smyth for it. One other note it's nice to see Reasoner back in the lineup as well. Looking forward to Saturdays bout.

Thanks

Rooks Oilers
Funny you mention that penalty. The guy on Sportsnet News AM said this following quote about the Smyth penalty.

Quote:
That's a penalty? You've got to be kidding me?