HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Left or Right handed? Left or Right Shot?

View Poll Results: What are you?
Left Handed, Left Shot 2 2.50%
Left Handed, Right Shot 12 15.00%
Right Handed, Left Shot 34 42.50%
Right Handed, Right Shot 32 40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
Left or Right handed? Left or Right Shot?

What are you, a left handed left shot, left handed right shot, right handed left shot, right handed right shot.

I'm Right Handed, Left shot.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Crosbyfan

Also right handed left shot. Have two right handed kids, one shoots left, not so keen on hockey, the other is very keen on hockey and shoots right. So he holds his stick primarily (upperhand) with his non dominant hand. This seems to make it harder for him when skating with one hand on his stick, with or without the puck, a problem I never had to consider.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 07:53 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Left Handed, Right Shot

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

It seems like most people have there dominant hand at the top of there stick.

Old
09-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Sensfanman

I doubt I can speak for everyone but I am right handed left shot and I find my left arm is stronger (more muscle) but lacks the coordination and fine muscle movement my right hand has which makes sense since the left hand applies the flex, the right hand stabilizes the leverage.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
I doubt I can speak for everyone but I am right handed left shot and I find my left arm is stronger (more muscle) but lacks the coordination and fine muscle movement my right hand has which makes sense since the left hand applies the flex, the right hand stabilizes the leverage.
Most peoples dominant hands (arms) are also stronger, but the lower hand/arm/shoulder etc. definitely supply more power to a shot.

Old
09-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
It seems like most people have there dominant hand at the top of there stick.
This came up before but I don't believe it was answered:

Is Ovechkin Left handed? (Awesome shot and incredible puck control)

I have coached an awful lot of kids lately that shoot right and are right handed, it seems like a turnaround from when I was starting out (sixties)

Old
09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Ludicrous Speed

im right and right and ive never been like a star player and someone told me i should try left handed....every time i try it though it seems uncomfortable but from what you guys are saying maybe i should give it a serious look...my right arm is much stronger and way more coordinated though

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
im right and right and ive never been like a star player and someone told me i should try left handed....every time i try it though it seems uncomfortable but from what you guys are saying maybe i should give it a serious look...my right arm is much stronger and way more coordinated though
work with what is more comfortable for you. This debate has been going on for years since different people have different preferences. The best thing to do for a kid learning to play hockey when very young is give them a straight bladed stick and let them figure out what is more comfortable without influencing them.

For older kids and adults, just go with what you feel comfortable with. Trying to switch will normally set you back more than help. The best thing to do is to just constantly work on your shot and your stick handling.

and btw I'm right handed with a right handed shot.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
This came up before but I don't believe it was answered:

Is Ovechkin Left handed? (Awesome shot and incredible puck control)

I have coached an awful lot of kids lately that shoot right and are right handed, it seems like a turnaround from when I was starting out (sixties)

I have no clue what Ovechkin is, he throws left handed, he writes right handed, he golf's right handed. I don't know what his dominant hand is.

Crosby is right handed and left shot, right.

Old
09-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Fenix

right handed, right shot

other way always felt uncomfortable even when i first started playing hockey

Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Sensfanman

I think there's a relation in ambidexterity and pro athletes, especially if you train it. So guys like Ovy who are all over the place might just be good at both. Also, when holding the stick, your hands face opposite directions. This means your bottom hand is pushing down and your top hand is pulling up (more flex). When the wrists rotate, the top hand rotates naturally (up to down) but the bottom hand is trickier (down to up) so I think your dominant hand being on top can lead to an easier rotation of the wrist. Oh and didn't they just do a study on how your handedness is affect by which side of your brain you use?

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 04:58 AM
Phoenix

R handed, R Shot
Am too old now to change

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Hoser

Huh, seemed when I played that to be a right-handed right-shot was abnormal, as I was usually the only one, but I guess I'm not so weird after all.

It always felt natural to have the dominant hand lower on the stick than the weaker hand. Then again my shot was always piss-poor...

I often played goal, and shooting right was the best solution considering I caught with my right.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:01 AM
FLYLine24*

Right handed, shoot left.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:35 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I have no clue what Ovechkin is, he throws left handed, he writes right handed, he golf's right handed. I don't know what his dominant hand is.

Crosby is right handed and left shot, right.
They base it off what hand you write with dominantly, so Ovy would be right-handed. Most athletes, especially lefties, are sorta hybrids. I'm a left-handed/left-footed but I shoot righty, bat righty, and golf righty. That's probably due to the fact that growing up all the equipment was for a right-handed kids and all the baseball coaches taught how to bat right handed. A nice bonus, however, is that I now have no backhand in tennis. I hit my forehand with equal accuracy and power with both hands now. It's kinda cool.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:39 PM
SomeDude

Left handed, right shot. I remember when I was like 6 at a practice our coach had us line up for shooting drills depending on if we shot left handed or right. All he said was "If you're right handed go over here, and if you're left handed, go over there" and I went to the left handed line and ended up being very confused when he kept telling me to go to the other side.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
They base it off what hand you write with dominantly, so Ovy would be right-handed. Most athletes, especially lefties, are sorta hybrids. I'm a left-handed/left-footed but I shoot righty, bat righty, and golf righty. That's probably due to the fact that growing up all the equipment was for a right-handed kids and all the baseball coaches taught how to bat right handed. A nice bonus, however, is that I now have no backhand in tennis. I hit my forehand with equal accuracy and power with both hands now. It's kinda cool.

That's what i thought too, but my little brother went to the eye doctor and they had him do this test and it said his left eye is dominant so he should write left handed but he writes right handed.

Old
09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
spoon*

Right handed but I shoot both sides pretty well

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Catamo
NHL2com League

vCash: 1171
R/R
probly why i depend more on my skating then stick handling.
atleast i have a mighty shot.

Catamo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right handed, left shot.

Write, bowl, throw darts, shoot pool, and play all music instruments (fairly well I might add) right handed.

Pitch, throw, bat, golf, and play hockey left handed.

I feel I have pretty good stick control as my dominant hand controls the stick. My power is fine.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
BigBearnier

I'm right handed, left shot, but I also play soccer, and I'm right footed, causing all sorts of problems with my footwork when I take slapshots... It takes a good while of warming up for me to get the footwork down...

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Ulic

Im right handed and shoot right. I'm more coordinated with my right arm but feel fine poke checking with my left on top and I feel having my right lower gives me better puck control/passing.

I can shoot well enough but my shot feels no where near as natural as my passing or carrying the puck. I've always had a slight feeling that if I got used to shooting left it would feel more natural.

I don't know, I'm fine with how I am.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Poochie_D

I'm amidextrese (sp?). I write right, throw a ball left, Golf left, shoot left in hockey. My left hand is slighty more dominant in most things I do but I can do all those things the other side as well.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 06:05 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
I'm amidextrese (sp?). I write right, throw a ball left, Golf left, shoot left in hockey. My left hand is slighty more dominant in most things I do but I can do all those things the other side as well.
I'm kind of ridiculous like that ahah, do everything left handed but bat right, shoot right, golf left, throw a frisbee right,kick right etc.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote