HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hedin called up

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Shawn

vCash: 500
edit

*merging a post with one below.*

Old
01-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Oh I realize that... but my point was that he's adjusted... and has been one of the best defensemen on St. Johns. This after many thought he'd flop after moving over the pond.

I agree that he's got to play in the NHL in order to "make it"... but he's been good enough over those 35 games that Shedden and Penny have advised Ferguson to call him up.
I completely agree with you when you state it thusly. He has made great strides and should be a lock to make the team in the near future. Getting the call up after so short a time is a great sign that we have a player.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
leafaholix*

I guess you've been reading it differentely... because that's all I've been saying throughout the whole thread.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh I realize that... but my point was that he's adjusted... and has been one of the best defensemen on St. Johns. This after many thought he'd flop after moving over the pond.

I agree that he's got to play in the NHL in order to "make it"... but he's been good enough over those 35 games that Shedden and Penny have advised Ferguson to call him up.
Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion a little ...in that I believe that St. Johns best Dman has been Colaiacovo this season and the fact that Hedin was called up was that Leafs did not want to interupt Carlo development time in ST. Johns and call him up to sit out or be disappointed when sent back down.. Hedin being older and more mature, while not playing bad in St. Johns was a better fit for that role in Toronto... and perhaps after last night performance could see NHL action on Saturday as a result..

Old
01-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Shawn

Quote:
I guess you've been reading it differentely... because that's all I've been saying throughout the whole thread.

I read the words that you typed in that he had made the NHL. I was just trying to point out that he hasn't made it yet.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:04 AM
leafaholix*

The top defensemen in St. John's have apparentely been...

1. Marc Moro
2. Carlo Colaiacovo
3. Jay Harrison/Pierre Hedin

Not too sure about #3... but 1 and 2 are about right... Shedden said so on Mojo.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Shawn

Quote:
The top defensemen in St. John's have apparentely been...

1. Marc Moro
2. Carlo Colaiacovo
3. Jay Harrison/Pierre Hedin

Not too sure about #3... but 1 and 2 are about right... Shedden said so on Mojo.
How old is Moro? Older isn't he?

Old
01-09-2004, 08:05 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I read the words that you typed in that he had made the NHL. I was just trying to point out that he hasn't made it yet.
I never said he made the NHL... I said he's made it TO the NHL.

There's a difference... and I've pointed that out already.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Shawn

Quote:
I never said he made the NHL... I said he's made it TO the NHL.

There's a difference... and I've pointed that out already.
Semantics and you know it. Shall we start this over again and have myself point out to you that he has not made it to the NHL? He was called up due to injuries. He has not made it anywhere except the AHL at this point.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Semantics and you know it. Shall we start this over again and have myself point out to you that he has not made it to the NHL? He was called up due to injuries. He has not made it anywhere except the AHL at this point.
Good Grief ...

We get already ...How many times do you have to say the same thing about such a minor point..

Give it a rest ....

WE ALL AGREE HE MADE IT TO THE NHL NOT IN..

I am just as happy to see Wellwood get his chance as well as a replacement player ...His strong play in St. Johns earned him a chance to play a game or 2..

Old
01-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Good Grief ...

We get already ...How many times do you have to say the same thing about such a minor point..

Give it a rest ....

WE ALL AGREE HE MADE IT TO THE NHL NOT IN..

I am just as happy to see Wellwood get his chance as well as a replacement player ...His strong play in St. Johns earned him a chance to play a game or 2..
I put it to rest and he brought it back up again. How about you make a post concerning that as well?

Old
01-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I put it to rest and he brought it back up again. How about you make a post concerning that as well?
What's the use of that .... Had you not found it important to question the precise words that he used ...their would not have been any of this ...

Most people already know Go Pierre Hedin included what he was attempting to say and anyone that follows Hockey realizes that you are not considered an NHL player or have made the league, till they get a chance to prove it and play some games... and sitting in a suit and tie in the press box does not mean that... Its blatantly obvious and doesn't need to be stated as you felt the urge to..

His point being that no so long ago ...Pierre Hedin was a written off prospect and now is just a short step away from realizing a dream and playing in the NHL...and its really not important the exact words he used to express that point and obviously being a big fan of Hedins it made it just that much sweeter...

Last edited by Mess: 01-09-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Shawn

Quote:
What's the use of that .... Had you not found it important to question the precise words that he used ...their would not have been any of this ...

Most people already know Go Pierre Hedin included what he was attempting to say and anyone that follows Hockey realizes that you are not considered an NHL player or have made the league, till they get a chance to prove it and play some games... and sitting in a suit and tie in the press box does not mean that... Its blatantly obvious and doesn't need to be stated as you felt the urge to..

His point being that no so long ago ...Pierre Hedin was a written off prospect and now is just a short step away from realizing a dream and playing in the NHL...and its really not important the exact words he used to express that point and obviously being a big fan of Hedins it made it just that much sweeter...
I am glad that you see it that way because I didn't. If he meant all that then he should have said all that and not made allusions to the fact that he had already made it just because he got a call up. This is the Internet and I cannot read minds, only the written word. Say what you mean or questions will be raised.

And when was Hedin written off? I recall nothing but good things being said about him for the last few years.

Old
01-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I am glad that you see it that way because I didn't. If he meant all that then he should have said all that and not made allusions to the fact that he had already made it just because he got a call up. This is the Internet and I cannot read minds, only the written word. Say what you mean or questions will be raised.

And when was Hedin written off? I recall nothing but good things being said about him for the last few years.
First I am not going to continue the first part any longer... Just go back and re-read the thread and you will see that is what he said and it does not take a mind reader to conclude that..

Second point ...Pierre hedin is already 25 about to turn 26 in a good month (Feb 19th)... Until this year he had never even ventured accross the ocean, or come anywhere close to the NHL and had this summer just signed a 3 year contract to play in Finland, with one small escape clause that allowed him to come over and leave his Finnish team...

That by my definition and others I am sure is a player that the organization not so long ago did not hold out much hope of playing in the NHL.. but things have changed ...

and now as GO PIERRE HEDIN stated he is on the verge OF GETTING A CHANCE to prove himself ..... and his strong AHL play may have changed the minds of some previous brain trust..

and those of us that have followed Hedin's career and development in the SEL .. are happy for him.... but when the words ..

" TO THE NHL " are used in regards to Hedin it has MORE meaning than it would when mentioned with 19 year old kids like Kondratiev and Colaiacovo.. and I am not a mind reader either to be able to conclude that...

Last edited by Mess: 01-09-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Shawn

Quote:
First I am not going to continue the first part any longer... Just go back and re-read the thread and you will see that is what he said and it does not take a mind reader to conclude that..

Second point ...Pierre hedin is already 25 about to turn 26 in a good month (Feb 19th)... Until this year he had never even ventured accross the ocean, or come anywhere close to the NHL and had this summer just signed a 3 year contract to play in Finland, with one small escape clause that allowed him to come over and leave his Finnish team...

That by my definition and others I am sure is a player that the organization not so long ago did not hold out much hope of playing in the NHL.. but things have changed ...

and now as GO PIERRE HEDIN stated he is on the verge OF GETTING A CHANCE to prove himself ..... and his strong AHL play may have changed the minds of some previous brain trust..

whatever

Old
01-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Mike8

This has to be the least informative thread I've read regarding a prospect getting a callup.

Now, I've seen Hedin play when he was much, much younger, and everything I've read since has indicated to me that he can be an NHLer some day. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen him more recently. If so, does he look like he has a future in the league as anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman?

I suppose we'll know more should he get some starts, but any information would be appreciated.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
whatever
This response should've been used a long time ago in this thread.

Quote:
This has to be the least informative thread I've read regarding a prospect getting a callup.
Is that what we're talking about here? I thought it was an expounding discussion on the meaning of the word "TO".

Ah well, on topic, I'm going to the game against NJ tomorrow, hope I'll get to see him first hand.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:03 AM
leafaholix*

Yes, he definately looks like he's got a future in the NHL.

Right now, I'd say he's got that potential to be a top 5 defenseman.

Btw... I've seen him play 7 or 8 times this season... mostly with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL challenge and a game or two in North America after their return from Scandinavia. The other 3 or 4 times with the St. John's Maple Leafs on Sportsnet and The Score.

Very impressive player offensively. Strong skater, quick, mobile, and has great vision. With all that offensive upside and the fact that he's a European defenseman, I'm very surprised with his positioning and his "grit" along the boards defensively. By no means is he a Mattias Norstrom or Robert Svehla, but for an offensive player like him, he's quite persistent in his own end along the boards.

Rushes the puck when he sees an opportunity and manages to get back in time.

Notable players I'd compare him to (skill wise):
Tomas Kaberle
Kim Johnsson
Dick Tarnstrom

Old
01-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

Now, I've seen Hedin play when he was much, much younger, and everything I've read since has indicated to me that he can be an NHLer some day. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen him more recently. If so, does he look like he has a future in the league as anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman?

I suppose we'll know more should he get some starts, but any information would be appreciated.
IMO ..Timing is everything and combined with a little luck ..can make or break an NHL chance..

For instance last year ...had Leafs brought Hedin over for a look and had he ended up playing in St. Johns to see how he would perform in North America... then Leafs may not have thrown away a couple of draft picks on a player like Housley at the trade deadline only to have him appear in 1 NHL playoff game and forced out of the league... better asset management would have possibly used Hedin in that role as he was at the time a 1ST team all-star and top Dman in the Swedish Elite league...

Since we are all not mind readers ... only Pierre Hedin himself can prove that he can play in the NHL if given the chance and while he has skills only time will tell if those equate to an NHL Dman or not..

Also IMO ...Offensively gifted Dman either make it in the core top 4 pairing or usually don't make it at all as those 5th, 6th and 7th positions are usually reserved more for defensive stay at home types that are not flashy....While Hedin is more like a poor man's Kaberle type of player and tends to want to be involved more in the offensive then defensive side of things... He played a few exhibition games for Toronto this last preseason and was one of the last players cut and sent to St. Johns even after Colaiacovo...

Two years ago he did score 8 goals in 14 playoff games to lead his team MODO to the championship in the SEL and as a result was named TOP DMAN in SWEDEN...and he has drawn good praise from his AHL coach Sheddan and Leafs brass on occasion for his play this year....

so at least he has a future at the moment anyway as opposed to what people thought a few years ago I guess..

but again until he gets a chance to prove he can play at this level its all guess work...

Old
01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
This response should've been used a long time ago in this thread.

Is that what we're talking about here? I thought it was an expounding discussion on the meaning of the word "TO".

Ah well, on topic, I'm going to the game against NJ tomorrow, hope I'll get to see him first hand.

Are you saying that I quoted both of those statements or are you now using other peoples statements and forcing their words upon me?

Old
01-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you saying that I quoted both of those statements or are you now using other peoples statements and forcing their words upon me?
He is saying if you would have said WHATEVER to YOURSELF in YOUR HEAD rather than posting anything in this thread at all then ...which is what we believe should have happened than this whole "TO" discussion would never have happened and this thread would

A) Have purpose
B) Be insightful
C) Be a meaningful discussion on the Hopes and Chances for success of a Leaf Prospect...

....rather than a USELESS conversation on the English word "TO" and how it should be used in a sentance and its meaning ... There must be a better boad that you can find where that discussion might be more relevant and appropriate ...NO ??

Old
01-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Frankie

he's not that good offensively. at least, he isn't creating any offence for the baby leafs. just a good steady all around d-man.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
he's not that good offensively. at least, he isn't creating any offence for the baby leafs. just a good steady all around d-man.
That I guess depends on how you define Creating Offense... and I don't want those words to be turnded into a Spelling Bee as well..

Personally I don't think its that Black and White....What I mean is that... there is more than putting points on the board that shows you are good offensively... I have seen games where Hedin has come in from his point spot to the slot on a play and gone as far as ringing it off the post... On other times if his team mates would have been able to get him the puck perhaps his Goals and Assist totals would be different, and with snipers like Luca Cereda and Robb Palahnuk to finish off his passes I am not surprised that his assist totals are not higher..and offensive IMO also refers to be caring the puck out of your zone and creating forward pressure...

...and another example would be that Kaberle is considered a offensive Dman by most Leaf Fans yet he has only a few goals and has not shown to be that PP QB that Toronto craves as of yet...

Just watch now Sluggo will chime in and this thread will become a Kaberle thread... It shouldn't it was just a point.. just like Eric Brewer is considered an offensive dman as well and look at his totals ...

Last edited by Mess: 01-09-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Mike8

Thanks for the insight, go pierre hedin and The Messenger. I hope to see him in the NHL shortly.

Old
01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Thanks for the insight, go pierre hedin and The Messenger. I hope to see him in the NHL shortly.
Here is quick link to his HF Players profile..

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=1463

Closed Thread