HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindlöf & Olafson traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Tomppav

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Lindlöf & Olafson traded

http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=1702

Lethbridge, Alberta – The Lethbridge Hurricanes have completed a trade with the 2004 Memorial Cup host Kelowna Rockets. The Hurricanes have acquired 18 year-old forward Mark Olafson and 19 year-old import forward Joni Lindlof in exchange for 19 year-old forward DJ King and 19 year-old import forward Patrik Valcak.

Olafson has five goals, ten assists and 15 penalty minutes in 41 games. The product of Winnipeg, Manitoba is in his second WHL campaign. In his rookie season he tallied four goals and eight assists in 50 games.

Lindlof has two goals, eight assists and 26 penalty minutes in 40 games. The native of Tampere, Finland had 11 goals and 21 assists in 70 games last season.

DJ King began his WHL career with the Hurricanes in the 2001-2002 season. The rugged forward racked up 33 goals ,42 assists and 345 penalty minutes in the 155 games he played as a Hurricane. The Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan product was drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the fifth round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Patrik Valcak was the third round selection of the Boston Bruins in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. The 19 year-old from Ostrava, Czech Republic has two goals and nine assists in 35 games.

“DJ has been a big part of our organization for the past three years and has been a leader both on and off the ice. This is an excellent opportunity for him to further his path to professional hockey ” said Hurricanes GM Darren Stocker. “We are getting a young power forward in Olafson who will have an immediate impact in our lineup. It’s also a good trade for the two European players who will get a fresh start in new cities and organizations”, added Stocker.

http://www.kelownarockets.com/pressrelease.asp?ID=212

ROCKETS AND HURRICANES COMPLETE DEAL

Kelowna, BC – Kelowna Rockets, President and General Manager, Bruce Hamilton announced a “Trade Deadline” deal earlier today. The Rockets dealt Wingers, Joni Lindlof and Mark Olafson to the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for forwards Patrik Valcak and DJ King.

Patrik Valcak, a native of Ostrava, Czechoslovakia is currently in his second Western Hockey League Season. Last year the 6’1”, 187 lb. winger collected 10 goals, 12 assists and 100 pims in 31 games. “We are happy to make this move; Patrik is a player that we feel has the potential to bring us the offensive thrust that has been lacking in our game, commented Rockets President and General Manager, Bruce Hamilton. Valcak was a 4th round pick of the Boston Bruins in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

DJ King comes to the Rockets as a 6’2” 230 lb winger. In 35 games played thus far, he has collected 8 goals, 15 assists and 102 pims. Rockets General Manager stated that, “DJ was the center piece of this deal. He is a power forward; he brings a big body to our game, works very well down low, and will have an influence on our power play. His reputation in the Western Hockey League is known for being a tough and physical player”.

“For Joni, this will be a good change for him. We feel that this deal will allow him to get his game back on track for the second portion of the season. As for Mark, this was a player we didn’t want to trade, although when you are acquiring for a high end player like King, you have to give up a talented player in return”, commented Hamilton shortly after completing this morning’s deal.

Valcak will be arriving in Kelowna tomorrow and King will be joining the team on the Road this weekend.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Tomppav, this question is a little off your topic, but how is John Oduya doing? You think he might have a shot at coming over here next year to play for the Pirates and have a shot at the Caps' roster?

Old
01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
I was checking out some other boards, and the thought seemed to be that Lindlof's window has closed, but they were sad to see Olasfson go, though they didn't say why.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:12 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I was checking out some other boards, and the thought seemed to be that Lindlof's window has closed, but they were sad to see Olasfson go, though they didn't say why.
Id think becasue he's a tough SOB who had started to develop offensively....somewhat. Think Peat but with more assists and a goal here and there.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Plan 9

Does Lindlof have any NHL upside?

Old
01-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Tomppav, this question is a little off your topic, but how is John Oduya doing? You think he might have a shot at coming over here next year to play for the Pirates and have a shot at the Caps' roster?
He's playing in a top d-pair of his swedish elite league team. His d-pair is Richard Lintner who played in Nashville couple of years ago, I think. Oduya is still leading the league in penalty minutes and is only 21 minutes shy of the league record.

He's been playing more defensive game than what he did last year in 1st diviosion. Lintner is very offensive d-man, Gonchar-type, so Oduya has been the Reekie of that pair.

I found a short Oduya interview in swedish today. I translate it later when I have more time.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Does Lindlof have any NHL upside?
From what I'm hearing, WHL fans don't have much hope for him. I'd love for them to be wrong, though.

Old
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I'm not up on WHL dynamics...so what does this trade do for either team?

01-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Avery4Byng*

Kelowna adds King - apparently one of the toughest guys in the WHL, and Valcak, a wild card, Euro who apparently never got ice time in Lethbridge. So brings toughness and girit ot Kelowna in King and I would say that Valcak replaces Lindlof as 3rd line underachieving Euro.

Olafson never really found a spot in Kelowna but from what I hear is really throwing his weight around and getting some points with the Hurricanes. Not sure about Lindlof, noticed he scored last ngiht though.

stats are at www.whl.ca

Old
01-28-2004, 11:13 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
thx tray.

Closed Thread