HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rising Stock Preseason Game One

Old
09-23-2007, 02:56 AM
IanB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
at this point, Dubinsky > Dawes so I'd go with the revolving door lineup of

Hossa/Avery/Prucha/Straka-Gomez-Jagr
HAPS-Drury-Shanahan
HAPS-Dubinksy-Callahan
HAPS-Betts-Hollweg/Orr

when is Renney gonna experiment with Drury and Jagr? From the beginning, I thought that combination made much more sense.
Drury mentioned he felt that up to this point he believes he has the most chemistry with Straka. That would make a Straka-Drury-Jagr line all the more interesting to see.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 02:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
I thought he looked great, he was a precense in front of the net and he was grinder down low.

If i had to rank them from last night

1) Dubinsky (will be the 3rd line center)
2) Staal ( Will make the team)
3) Sauer (Will be at hartford but did enough to show he will be a top 2 defenseman)
4) Jessiman (Does what Orr and Hollweg do combined and can score better than both)
5) Montoya (Will be a very good backup)
Byers and Smith impressed me more than Jessiman

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 03:01 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist Saves View Post
Drury mentioned he felt that up to this point he believes he has the most chemistry with Straka. That would make a Straka-Drury-Jagr line all the more interesting to see.
I think Straka - Drury- Shanny could be a great 2nd line, maybe going with forward group of:
Hossa - Gomez - Jagr
Straka - Drury - Shanny
Prucha - Dubi - Cally
Avery - Betts - Byers

Holweg/Orr

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
But (to play devil's advocate for moment), his job is to generate offense and he didn't score--so the glass is only half full. On the other hand, he's played consistently well since the start of training camp and has successfully generated offense. Still, tonight was a clunker and no one really played well.

At the same time, I wouldn't single out a player like Dawes and complain about his play (as a poster above did). We've known all along that Dawes needs to play with skilled players in order to succeed and has been showing chemistry with Jagr and Gomez. To ticket him to Hartford after one game where very few Rangers were playing well, much less average, is too much of a snap judgement.

I have said all along that I just don't see a spot in the lineup for Dawes. Prucha is a flat out better offensive player, and Callahan has a better all around game. And, IMO, this team would be better served putting Dubinsky in as 3rd line, and keeping Avery and Straka at LW. And, Dawes is not well-served playing 4th LW next to Betts, when either Hollweg, or even Byers bring more to the table from what required of a 4th line LW. Dawes may me ready for the NHL this year, but, I don't see a place for him in the Rangers' lineup.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Fletch

I agree jas...

of course it's more than Prucha that's in competition with Dawes - another scenario could be Straka on a top line, Prucha on a second line and Dawes on a third line with Avery centering. Just a possible, although perhaps not probable, scenario. But I'm just not seeing a spot for Dawes.

We won't really see the lines take shape for a couple more games. The first two games are always mostly garbage (to me at least). Seems that young players are often better than vets as they may've played in a tourney already and gotten used to the game again, whereas the vets are very rusty. Similar to last season - Dubi plays a good first game against the Devils and doesn't do much the rest of the preseason. The next couple games will look a bit different (I hope at least) and we'll see better who's going to fit in.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
of course it's more than Prucha that's in competition with Dawes - another scenario could be Straka on a top line, Prucha on a second line and Dawes on a third line with Avery centering. Just a possible, although perhaps not probable, scenario. But I'm just not seeing a spot for Dawes.

We won't really see the lines take shape for a couple more games. The first two games are always mostly garbage (to me at least). Seems that young players are often better than vets as they may've played in a tourney already and gotten used to the game again, whereas the vets are very rusty. Similar to last season - Dubi plays a good first game against the Devils and doesn't do much the rest of the preseason. The next couple games will look a bit different (I hope at least) and we'll see better who's going to fit in.
What I noticed most about Dubinsky is how improved his skating was - the choppy style of last year is gone and replaced by a very smooth stride. That, IMO, was what might have kept him from winning a spot this year. frankly, what I saw the other night tells me he's ready. He showed great patience and vision on his two assists, he used his size to create space on the Straka goal, plus, he was strong with the puck. Unless his play drastically falls off, I think he's ready. Plus, with his faceoff skills, the Rangers are a stronger team with him as 3rd line center, and Straka/Avery on the wing.

Also, Prucha is ready for prime time. He needs to be in the top 6. I'm sorry , but, with 4 LWs available for 3 spots - (Prucha, Straka, Avery, Hossa and Dawes) - the two that are left out are Hossa and Dawes.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Levitate

I don't really mind Prucha on the third line, if he also gets some PP time.

If the third line is an energy line with some scoring power, that'd be perfect for the type of game Prucha plays. I think he works well with a guy like Callahan, and it's no surprise that they worked well with Straka for a bit in training camp.

Whether or not Dubinsky could fit in on that line is a bit of a question, but it might work.

At any rate, Prucha could get plenty of icetime and plenty of goals in a situation like that, and PP time.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I think Straka - Drury- Shanny could be a great 2nd line, maybe going with forward group of:
Hossa - Gomez - Jagr
Straka - Drury - Shanny
Prucha - Dubi - Cally
Avery - Betts - Byers

Holweg/Orr
all of those wings will move up and hossa will move down....avefry isnt a 4th liner...and hossa isnt a first liner......this i my line-up

straka-drury-jagr
prucha-gomez-shanahan
avery-dubi-cally
hossa-betts-byers/orr

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote