HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens Smacking Leafs!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm sure that is what all the old die-hard glimour fans were saying when he threw a knee at the alf; the alf then when after him and Gilmour turtled, that is right he turtled.
Please don't compare a gutless wimp like Afraidsson with Gilmour.

Thanks.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
I'd love to see Alfredsson & Sundin throw down. Even Mats could beat up that POS.
I'm sure that is what all the old die-hard glimour fans were thinking when Gilmour threw the knee bomb at alfl. Alf went at him and Gilmour turtled, that is right gilmour turtled.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Please don't compare a gutless wimp like Afraidsson with Gilmour.

Thanks.
Afraidsson, so witty, how did you come up with that? Next time I say something about the legend Dougie I'll send you a box of tissue, I sincerely apologize to you and Don Cherry.

BTW, I'm not sure where the comparison came in, but if you say so......

Old
01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Yeah, if it was the playoffs, it'd actually be meaningful.
Because as we all know, two good teams fighting for a division title is never meaningful.

Other Dave

Old
01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Leafs built a good case tonight for Mats Sundin being the Most Valuable Player in the league.
And Trevor Kidd made a good case for Least Valuable Player.

A GOOD effort by the Senators. Even though the Leafs were missing A LOT of key players, I've seen decimated teams win on virtue of their opponent playing down that level. The Sens clearly did not do that tonight and some played very well (Prusek for instance).

As for Alfie's little display, "meh". Not a big deal. I could see why Alfie would want to be like Sundin. It's a shame he can't emulate Sundin on the ice.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:45 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
The game lacked any real physical presence from the Sens point of view, Atleast IMO.. Other then that I liked the game..

Old
01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
And Trevor Kidd made a good case for Least Valuable Player.

A GOOD effort by the Senators. Even though the Leafs were missing A LOT of key players, I've seen decimated teams win on virtue of their opponent playing down that level. The Sens clearly did not do that tonight and some played very well (Prusek for instance).
Except the 2nd period, they seemed to quit playing in the 2nd. I guess with a 5-0 lead it is hard to keep up the intensity.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:48 PM
south-sentral

Some of you need a sense of humor, but of course i can see where you're coming from when your team is blasted by 7 goals but still it was funny...

Old
01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Except the 2nd period, they seemed to quit playing in the 2nd. I guess with a 5-0 lead it is hard to keep up the intensity.
OVERALL, the Sens played well. They could have taken the Leafs very lightly. I mean when you have a line that comprises of Kyle Wellwood-Nathan Perrott-Brad Leeb; it's easy to not show up for a game, but the Senators did. Prusek was very good IMO.

I hope Quinn plays Tellqvist on Saturday. Telly should have been the backup to Belfour and Kidd should have been shown the door.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:55 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Some of you need a sense of humor, but of course i can see where you're coming from when your team is blasted by 7 goals but still it was funny...
I don't think it was "funny" in the least. I'm not totally angry and I don't think the Leafs really *need* to send Alfie a message. However, Alfie's little replay was hardly funny at all.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
If the situation were reversed, I wouldn't like it either. The game featured two bitter rivals and stuff like this is bound to happen.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Coffey77

It's not a playoff game but the game still matters. The team that doesn't win the division ends up facing either the Flyers or Devils in the first round (most likely). So Ottawa and Toronto should both really want to get first place in their division.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
Ask Doug Gilmour if Alfie can fight..
Doug Gilmour is a 5'10, 170 pound 40 year old. Oh well, good job Alfredsson I guess.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Stephen

Anyway, looks like it's back to the drawing board for our St. John's Maple Leafs.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Anyway, looks like it's back to the drawing board for our St. John's Maple Leafs.
Funny, your "St. John Maple Leafs" still have a higher payroll than our Ottawa Senators. Nice to see Antropov, McCabe, Roberts, Tucker, Domi, Marchment, Klee et al playing the AHL.

What do you want the Sens to do - Take it easy on their division rival in a very important game? Hell, the Sens played their back-up goalie, and still have four regulars out with injuries themselves.

As to Alfredsson's gesture, everyone seems to think it wasn't a big deal except for a few Leafs fans. Understandable, given the timing and score.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:15 AM
balddog66

Did the leafs roster that was playing last night still have a higher payroll than the sens? Missing Sundin, Belfour, Mogilny, Reichel, kaberle, Belak and Nolan? That's like 30 million right there?

Old
01-09-2004, 04:41 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Greg Millen is awful, but having to listen to Watters after the game is just as bad. I thought he was going to have a heart attack over the alf thing. He through all his credibility away when he said the sens were out of their mind to give alf a 5 year contract extension.
I agree. I'm surprised Watters' glowing red face didn't make it on a thread somewhere on HF. He embarrassed himself and looked like he's still collecting a cheque from the Leafs. He said this 7-1 defeat will be just like the their last one against Philly when they went on a roll...bookends...uhh sure. What a homer.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:43 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
I agree. I'm surprised Watters' glowing red face didn't make it on a thread somewhere on HF. He embarrassed himself and looked like he's still collecting a cheque from the Leafs. He said this 7-1 defeat will be just like the their last one against Philly when they went on a roll...bookends...uhh sure. What a homer.
Did the Leaf players look like they were going to cry like they did after the Flyers tore them up?

Old
01-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
I don't think it was "funny" in the least. I'm not totally angry and I don't think the Leafs really *need* to send Alfie a message. However, Alfie's little replay was hardly funny at all.
Here is my "troll" opinion

I think the Sens made a statement to the center of the universe. Sure the Leafs were without 4 major components, which if you Leafs fans remember I disagreed about the Sundin suspension.

Yes the Leafs were hurting, but I remember this same Leafs team smacking the Canucks 5-3 at GM place, so the effort they put forth, especially with the talent they still have on the Ice, was less than steller. I watched the game and the Sens were so ready for this game while the Leafs just did circles on the ice.

If you were the Senators, and all you heard was how grand and glorious the Leafs are... how they are going to win the cup... how Mats Sundin is the "runaway" Hart trophy winner...

I can see why the Sens and their captain did what they did throughout the game. This was a wakeup call to the Leafs. You better bring your best because you will get smacked if you don't.

And the reason I laughed was the same reason Alfredsson mocked throwing his stick. It is fun to make fun of the Leafs and their fans.

But you are very loyal and I do respect that... but the Leafs sure got it handed to them last night.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:02 AM
leafaholix*

I like Alfredsson, but he's going to get it later on in the season.

Poor Daniel.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:16 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Poor Daniel.
Nothing is going to happen more than would happen in a Leafs-Sens game they next time they meet.

This isn't the NHL of the 70s and 80s.

Actually, I hope some Leaf tries something next time they meet. I'd love to see Tucker jump in the bench again to get a few shots from the trainer. Hilarious moments in hockey.

"The kid spit on him!"

Old
01-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Uther

Quote:
... how Mats Sundin is the "runaway" Hart trophy winner...
Well, I guess last night's result does nothing to disprove that statement.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Funny, your "St. John Maple Leafs" still have a higher payroll than our Ottawa Senators. Nice to see Antropov, McCabe, Roberts, Tucker, Domi, Marchment, Klee et al playing the AHL.
The team on the ice tonight was a $26mil team. Hardly higher.

Anyway, it's no excuse for the effort. I expected Roberts to carry the team tonight, guess it was just one of those games. God, I hope (and trust) they play better on Saturday, I didn't shell out money for box seats to that game to watch another effort like tonight.

As for Alfie, pfft, who cares? There won't be any retribution, Sundin will make sure of that and can probably see the (small) attempt at humour by Krusty. Alfie after the game even apologized and said that maybe he shouldn't have done it. He said that Sundin's a classy guy and went on to say how he didn't agree with Mats' suspension. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that knowing the score was so out of reach that he told the trainer to saw the stick (it was a very clean break and timed very well) just so he could get a little poke in to his Swedish counterpart. No big deal.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:33 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD
At least Alfie's "play" woke me up. What a horrible game.

And Greg Millen is rididculous.

Yes, we know Greg. Ottawa has the best defence in the world. Ottawa's top 4 d-man are the best in the universe. Alfie's mocking the stick throwing was hilarious. We get it. Shut up.

He was laughing about that Alfredsson thing for about 5 minutes, it wasn't even funny.
And they didn't acknowledge some guy that works in the truck that had to spring for pizza because of some unreferenced inside joke?

Man, they must be slacking.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:48 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Poor Daniel.
Considering the fact that Mats and Daniel are close friends...I highly doubt it.

There was a guy in the stands at the ACC with a big sign with a bull's eye saying "throw stick here"...Alfie was just teasing him

If the roles were reversed..and Alfie was on the sidelines for the incident and Mats had done that...I still would have laughed my arse off.

Leaf fans are taking it WAAAAAAAAY to seriously. After reading alot ot the posts on the Leafs board and on tmlfans.ca...I've come to the conclusion that they have a very, very , very, very unhealthy obsession with Alfie.

Might this have to do with a hit he laid on a certain player who claimed he was almost killed with an undisclosed "upper body injury" and might never play again because of all the broken bones...but still managed to play again a few nights later? Is this un-named player alos someone who sees invisible spit?

Closed Thread