HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we compete with Carter?

Old
09-22-2007, 11:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Another key i think he needs is the right line mates. Everytime he gets a good line that he clicks with, it gets pulled apart. Im referring ofcoarse to umberger-carter-dimirakos, and calder-carter-upshall.
Dimitrakos was a scrub who was lucky to get playing time. As for Calder, he was a bum for most of the season here last year. Good riddance to the piece of crap that didn't want to be here. I'd put a line of Umberger - Carter - Upshall together though. Carter has chemistry with the two of them and I think it's a line that could really be a good line. You could then throw Richards with Hartnell and Lupul and keep the KGB line together or swap Knuble with Lupul. Either way, there's some serious balance to the lines.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Dimitrakos was a scrub who was lucky to get playing time. As for Calder, he was a bum for most of the season here last year. Good riddance to the piece of crap that didn't want to be here. I'd put a line of Umberger - Carter - Upshall together though. Carter has chemistry with the two of them and I think it's a line that could really be a good line. You could then throw Richards with Hartnell and Lupul and keep the KGB line together or swap Knuble with Lupul. Either way, there's some serious balance to the lines.
Don't discount what those lines did together. That Dimitrakos, Carter RJ line was one of the best we had going down the stretch that year. It was the best those three had looked and a prime example of what good chemistry can do for a player. Niko is an underrated player (versus his salary) who has a history of producing when paired with good talent. He got shafted when Clarke threw him under the bus after Campbell blasted that line apart with his hit on RJ in the playoffs. The next season, after a few shifts of non productive play the line was dismantled and it was back to the merry go round of linemates...a few games later Dimitrakos was scapegoated again, along with Baumgartner...they didn't deserve that.

Calder-Carter-Upshall was another good line...yeah Calder is a dic and didn't earn his check, but for a short time there when he found that chemistry with those guys, they were the best thing we had going...btw, what is the common thread there with Carter doing well with Calder and Dimitrakos? Maybe they are both grinder, hustle forecheck types who can come away with loose pucks to shoot or feed a Carter/RJ/Upshall type. Carter doesn't go get too many pucks. His strengths are size, quickness, and a lethal shot, so he should be deployed with a hustle/grinder who can go get posession and feed him...maybe play him with Knuble and Hartnell...that line would generate a ton of shots...

Gagne Briere Upshall/Knuble
Hartnell Carter Knuble/Upshall
Lupul Richards Downie
Eager RJ Kapanen

Last edited by exlund*: 09-23-2007 at 01:18 AM.
exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Terence Peterman

That Carter article was interesting to read. My argument had tons of holes in it, but I was just trying to say that I don't think the success of the team this year is weighing on Carter having a really good year.

And as for Richards, I'd love to see him get a more offensive role, I just don't see it getting given to him.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
I know people like to bash carter, but he has had moments in the past 2 seasons where he just looked unbelievable. Even watching him a little bit monday, hes a great skater, and we all know his shot.

I really feel hes just a little confidence away from a 40 goal breakout season. The guy just needs some luck, he had none of that last year. If he can put the puck in the net early in the season, even if its from some lucky bounces, and build some confidence, i think he can really perform.

Another key i think he needs is the right line mates. Everytime he gets a good line that he clicks with, it gets pulled apart. Im referring ofcoarse to umberger-carter-dimirakos, and calder-carter-upshall.
He definitely has the skill, just needs to put it all together at the NHL level. I have seen times where he makes beautiful passes, he skates very well and if he could just get that shot on net......

I agree he needs to be with the right type of wingers to compliment him and I think we have that here, they just need to tinker with the combinations a bit. I would love to see Hartnell-Carter-Upshall but it looks like Hartnell is working well with Richards.

I still think he will be a 30 goal 65-70 point 2nd line center in the NHL

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:49 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlund View Post
Don't discount what those lines did together. That Dimitrakos, Carter RJ line was one of the best we had going down the stretch that year. It was the best those three had looked and a prime example of what good chemistry can do for a player. Niko is an underrated player (versus his salary) who has a history of producing when paired with good talent. He got shafted when Clarke threw him under the bus after Campbell blasted that line apart with his hit on RJ in the playoffs. The next season, after a few shifts of non productive play the line was dismantled and it was back to the merry go round of linemates...a few games later Dimitrakos was scapegoated again, along with Baumgartner...they didn't deserve that.

Calder-Carter-Upshall was another good line...yeah Calder is a dic and didn't earn his check, but for a short time there when he found that chemistry with those guys, they were the best thing we had going...btw, what is the common thread there with Carter doing well with Calder and Dimitrakos? Maybe they are both grinder, hustle forecheck types who can come away with loose pucks to shoot or feed a Carter/RJ/Upshall type. Carter doesn't go get too many pucks. His strengths are size, quickness, and a lethal shot, so he should be deployed with a hustle/grinder who can go get posession and feed him...maybe play him with Knuble and Hartnell...that line would generate a ton of shots...

Gagne Briere Upshall/Knuble
Hartnell Carter Knuble/Upshall
Lupul Richards Downie
Eager RJ Kapanen
Great post. I have mentioned that I think Carter needs to be on a line that plays a style similar to the Legion of Doom in its day, meaning cycling the puck down low and creating chances. Now he will never be half the player Lindros was, but I still see that style as best for him. He isnt consistently a shifty player with the puck carrying it up the ice, and grinding wingers seem to work best for him. To me, Hartnell-Carter-Upshall or Knuble-Carter-Upshall would be LOD light.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote