Notices

Half Way Point Grades

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2004, 11:10 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Half Way Point Grades

Well after this CRAZY game tonight against Florida they've reached the halfway point (well crazy good in the end, really pretty interesting game I thought, I love that young Panther team, they'll be very good) Anyway, I really don't think anyone expected the Flames to be at 100 point pace halfway through the year, but it definetaly gives them a head start in the second half, I hope they can pull this off this year. Anyway, without further ado...
(these rankings will be for their overall first halves, they are all projected as though they play all the remaining team games this season)

Incomplete.....
Martin Sonnenberg - (1-0-0-0) (42-0-0-0) - Emergency call-up
Steve Montador - (19-0-1-1) (60-0-3-3) - Has really been solid wherever needed, I hope he stays around as a depth guy, I am really becoming a fan of his.
Lynn Loyns - (1-0-1-1) (42-0-42-42) - Hey! On pace for 42 points, naw, seems like a nice depth pick up.
Jason Morgan - (13-0-2-2) (13-0-2-2) - Gone now, but was solid when we needed him, a big round of applause for his help in Calgary.
Dave Lowry - (18-1-1-2) (59-3-3-6) - Has done whats been needed, but man he can't retire fast enough sometimes.
Blair Betts - (20-1-2-3) (61-3-6-9) - I think I'll put him on this list since he has re-injured himself, this kid needs some good karma.
Josh Green - (17-1-2-3) (58-3-7-10) - I can't complain with how he's done now that he's found his way back to the 4th line where he belongs.

Grades
Jarome Iginla - (41-17-20-37) (82-34-40-74) - Has really stepped up lately when the team really needed him too, man I hope they don't trade this guy. Really streaky, but again is picking up steam, and a lot earlier than last year, has already got his pace up to 74 points, and more may even be possible. B- (or C+ I can't decide, maybe a C+ cause he was cold early)
Martin Gelinas - (39-8-12-20) (80-16-25-41) - Just keeps chugging, if everyone gave this kinda effort nightly this team would never lose, just a great example to the young kids IMO. B+
Shean Donovan - (41-12-7-19) (82-24-14-38) - He's gone cold, just as everyone predicted, but without him they would be a far worse off team than they are today. His heriocs combined with a night in night out effort get him a high grade. A
Matt Lombardi - (40-8-10-18) (81-16-20-36) - His point pace has slowed a tad as well, but I just can't get enough of this guy, he has been superb, even in games where he isn't 'noticed' he gets the job done. A-
Dean McAmmond - (36-10-7-17) (77-21-15-36) - Where would Calgary be without Deano? First in the division? Naw he's been everything we've needed lately after a slow start. B-
Jordan Leopold - (41-5-11-16) (82-10-22-32) - This guy just amazes me all the time, he is gonna be the best of all the Flame D in a couple of years IMO. Just solid overall, he's even been more physical lately with he coulda cashed in that chance on the beautiful play by Rhino today, but you can win'em all. A-
Oleg Saprykin - (34-7-8-15) (75-15-18-33) - He sure has come a long way from his healthy scratch days at the beginning of the year. I must say I'm now a believer. He's worked his way onto Iginla's line and he can't go wrong there. He's poised for a very good second half IMO, lets hope he can cash in this chance. B-
Steve Reinprecht - (20-5-10-15) (61-15-31-46) - I figured I'd put him here just so I can say wow, this guy has more skill than half our team put together, he has been great IMO. If he stays healthy (touch wood) he could put together a nice second half, I hope we find a Sappy-Rhino-Iggy line popping up right away here. A+
Stephane Yelle - (34-3-10-13) (75-7-22-29) - The most underrated 3rd line center in the league. Putting together another solid season. B
Chris Clark - (41-4-9-13) (82-8-18-26) - Can't complain with anything he's done so far. Comes to play, has a nasty disposition, and can pot the occassional goal. B
Robyn Regehr - (41-2-10-12) (82-4-20-24) - Had a bit of a questionable start, but I really like what he's put together lately. Plays a really unnoticeable physical game IMO, but it's there, really a very subtle player. And lately has been downright nasty. This is pretty well everything I've ever expected from him offensively this year, has already reached his career high in points. B
Craig Conroy - (25-1-10-11) (66-3-26-29) - Well he got hurt, but he certainly wasn't producing before, our most expendable player IMO. Could he snag a solid goal scoring RW? F
Andy Ference - (37-4-6-10) (78-8-13-21) - Has really stepped up his play lately, I mean really, it's been like night and day since the beginning of the year. I hope he keeps this up, if Phaneuf keeps impressing and Ference keeps this up Gauthier could definetaly be a nice bargaining chip NEXT year (or in the summer ). B
Chuck Kobasew - (32-2-7-9) (73-5-16-21) - I guess not every young guy can step up. Still has HIGH potential and does flash it, but this doesn't look like the year. He may have had his big chance, then got injured. I expected more. But there's still plenty of time D
Toni Lydman - (36-2-7-9) (77-4-15-19) - Still the anchor of the D IMO, though his offensive numbers are down, thanks to Leopold stepping up I think. He and Ference have really finding their role lately though, which is nice since they were sorta the 'least improved' D pair earlier. Could he take the next step? B-
Rhett Warrener - (38-2-6-8) (79-4-12-16) - What can I say? This trade looks like a beauty. Where would the D be without this guy? Just has been everything I've asked for and more. A+
Denis Gauthier - (39-1-2-3) (80-2-4-6) - Has been nice, but sometimes I worry if Warrener has been carrying him. Could this summer be the best time to trade him? I think his value may never be higher. If Phaneuf is really ready for next year, I think I do trade him. B
Krzyztof Oliwa - (36-1-1-2) (80-2-2-4) - Has also been all you can ask for from an enforcer. Picks his spots well when it comes to fighting. Rarely gets instigators, which can be looked upon as good or bad, but I think he is rarely on the ice for retalitory fights, Clark normally takes care of them. Oliwa is moreso around to deal with the other heavies. B-

Well, maybe this report is a bit too glowing. But I'm impressed and I'm sure everyone else is too. Here's to the second half

Old
01-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Good grades all around except I would give Iginla a C-, he just hasn't been the player the Flames need him to be. Also, I would give Conroy a D+ he is still good defensively which is a big part of what he brings to the table.

Old
01-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Snakeeye

I strongly disagree with a C- for Iginla.

Yeah, he isnt on pace to score 50.

But, he is on pace for 74 points. I still think he will hit 40 goals this year.

But even if he doesnt, his defensive play has been remarkable this year. He's been mentoring Oleg Saprykin, and Sappy's play has improved considerably since the two have been paired. In the last month, Iggy has put this team on his back and been the primary reason why we beat Florida, The Islanders, the Rangers and Edmonton.

He has been great on faceoffs, and over the past month, he's been doing everything he did two years ago when he did score 50.

I'd go with a B.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
I strongly disagree with a C- for Iginla.

Yeah, he isnt on pace to score 50.

But, he is on pace for 74 points. I still think he will hit 40 goals this year.

But even if he doesnt, his defensive play has been remarkable this year. He's been mentoring Oleg Saprykin, and Sappy's play has improved considerably since the two have been paired. In the last month, Iggy has put this team on his back and been the primary reason why we beat Florida, The Islanders, the Rangers and Edmonton.

He has been great on faceoffs, and over the past month, he's been doing everything he did two years ago when he did score 50.

I'd go with a B.
Before his recent hot streak Iginla had 27 points in 37 games, not cutting it for 7.5 million dollars a year. I do agree with your points about his defense and leadership but I really think more consistent play is needed from him. So I think the grade C- meaning average to slightly below average is fair.

Closed Thread