HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman, Baranka, Liffiton back to Hartford

Old
09-23-2007, 06:46 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Nobody on the D looked good last night. As for Baranka personally he had a tough night--the Downie goal was actually a good play--cutting off a Flyer heading to the net with the puck-that went bad as the puck was left behind for Downie. No player support in sight to help him out. All in all though he didn't have a good game and Liffiton was mostly a non-factor. Jessiman IMO just seems awkward--the fight is as good an illustration of that as anything. He seems to get bumped--knocked off balance too easily. I will say he seems to be trying. He may have a good stride and get around well enough but keeping his balance and being strong on his skates is something he has to work on. The thing about taking boxing lessons is not necessarily going to make a player a better fighter on the ice. He looked a bit like Gerry Cooney in that one.

Anyway Dawes did not do much. Korpikoski showed some speed but he was so-so at best. Byers played the best of the rookie forwards but unless the Rangers are figuring on getting rid of Hollweg I think he's heading for Hartford but he may be back sometime this year. Reviewing the first two games--On being ready for the NHL of the rookies and Callahan is still one officially but not Girardi--I'd rank them like this:

1. Dubinsky
2. Callahan
3. Staal
4. Montoya
5. Sauer
6. Dawes
7. Byers
8. Anisimov

As for Hutchison and Kasper--rather than waive them I'd try to get something for them first--but I agree they seem to be odd men out. Strudwick might be the 23rd man on this years squad but I don't think he's a good player. Smith might be okay in Hartford--ditto for Lessard.

Nice knockout by Orr last night.

Last edited by eco's bones: 09-23-2007 at 10:58 AM.
eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Fletch

Upset Baranka was sent down...

actually, very upset. Did he have a great game last night? No worse than his partner, Mara. He had the opportunity to play in about 4 preseason games last season - to me this just says their mind is mostly decided regarding the defense if Baranka's not getting a real look. He deserved at least one more start - even a start of Hutchinson, or Kaspar who's not going to play in the NHL with the Rangers this season. Jessiman got his two games and looked better in the first. Oh well.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:02 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Not surprised by these demotions but I agree that some of the players deserved to play in more pre-season games.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
actually, very upset. Did he have a great game last night? No worse than his partner, Mara. He had the opportunity to play in about 4 preseason games last season - to me this just says their mind is mostly decided regarding the defense if Baranka's not getting a real look. He deserved at least one more start - even a start of Hutchinson, or Kaspar who's not going to play in the NHL with the Rangers this season. Jessiman got his two games and looked better in the first. Oh well.
but by all indications hes had a mediocre camp as well. im guessing thats plays a large role in this as well. besides, lets be honest, there literally is ZERO room for him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
eco's bones

Not upset about Baranka's going down--his play last night was ragged. He can't afford to have a bad game even when the rest of the team does. He's fighting for a spot. The same with Dawes. This is an opportunity and they have to take advantage of it. Ivan's got a lot of competition right now. I think he's going to be a regular NHL'er before too long but I'm beginning to wonder if it will be with us and if not what we could get back for him.

Old
09-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
but by all indications hes had a mediocre camp as well. im guessing thats plays a large role in this as well. besides, lets be honest, there literally is ZERO room for him.
Exactly on Baranka...Mediocre camp, poorr game, not even a cocnistent AHL player yet....His kid needs to improve alot before becoming an NHLer..And if he ever does, it will probably be with another organzation as he is getting zoomed by..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 11:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Exactly on Baranka...Mediocre camp, poorr game, not even a cocnistent AHL player yet....His kid needs to improve alot before becoming an NHLer..And if he ever does, it will probably be with another organzation as he is getting zoomed by..
Dawes and Baranka are the two prospects that I'm not seeing a place for in the future. I'm not saying that they won't be NHLer...just don't see them being Rangers. Too many good young players with better all around games coming through the system.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

so people see dawes play one game and now he has no future? ya gotta love the preseason..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 12:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so people see dawes play one game and now he has no future? ya gotta love the preseason..

Didn't say he has no future, just that, IMO, there are better players fighting for spots. I'd think this team is better served with Dubinsky at 3rd line center, and Straka and Avery at LW. So then it comes down to one of Prucha, Hossa or Dawes for the other LW spot, and I think Prucha is going to have a big year, once the dust is settled. I don't believe Dawes should play on the 4th line. And, in the past, I've stated that I don't believe that there is space for Dawes. This organization has a lot of good prospects, and not all of them will remain Rangers. With Prucha and Callahan already here, (and, IMO, better all round players), plus the existence of higher top end players in the organization such as Cherepanov and Bourret, Dawes, IMO, is a player who could find himself in another organization. I never once once said he has no future; I believe the Rangers will better off putting players in the right spots, something they weren't able to do until the 50 game mark last year. And, that means Dubinsky winning the 3rd line center spot, a potentially better faceoff man than either Straka or Avery, which also allows both Straka and Avery to play roles better suited to their respective games. My concern with Dubinsky was his skating, but his stride looked so much better on Friday, that, to me that's not a concern anymore. I think he's ready.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:53 PM
eco's bones

On Dawes--there are a very limited amount of openings--two forwards, 1 d-man, 1 goalie at the absolute most. With Smith in camp the Rangers can decide to sign him and send all the prospects down--so Dawes has got to step up and not just be there. The whole team stunk last night and that may hurt his chances and maybe that's not altogether fair but if it comes down to one forward at this point it's got to be Dubinsky. Things can change but he seems to be the guy putting his best foot forward.

As for Baranka--I actually think he has good upside and has been snakebit by injuries but he couldn't afford not to have a good game last night with Staal and Sauer playing as well as they did the night before. Again it may be unfair that the team stunk out the joint last night but the other guys are ahead of him at least for now.

Old
09-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Fletch

Good camp..

bad camp or whatever, we still get to watch Strudwick, Pock and Hutchinson out there instead of Baranka. Thought all three have been mostly weak thus far, but of course, we shouldn't be so judgemental after one game.

Not sure why there isn't room on the Rangers for Baranka. He should be pretty high on the depth chart in case of unjuries (although there is Hutch, Pock and Strudwick ardoun too). Also, I'm not convinced that Sauer's better than Baranka just yet - not until I actually see the kid play in the AHL, where I've seen a lot of Baranka.

Eh, it's not big deal, but one game and then being sent down just means more Pock, Strudwick and Hutchinson which doesn't excite me too much.

Old
09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Didn't say he has no future, just that, IMO, there are better players fighting for spots. I'd think this team is better served with Dubinsky at 3rd line center, and Straka and Avery at LW. So then it comes down to one of Prucha, Hossa or Dawes for the other LW spot, and I think Prucha is going to have a big year, once the dust is settled. I don't believe Dawes should play on the 4th line. And, in the past, I've stated that I don't believe that there is space for Dawes. This organization has a lot of good prospects, and not all of them will remain Rangers. With Prucha and Callahan already here, (and, IMO, better all round players), plus the existence of higher top end players in the organization such as Cherepanov and Bourret, Dawes, IMO, is a player who could find himself in another organization. I never once once said he has no future; I believe the Rangers will better off putting players in the right spots, something they weren't able to do until the 50 game mark last year. And, that means Dubinsky winning the 3rd line center spot, a potentially better faceoff man than either Straka or Avery, which also allows both Straka and Avery to play roles better suited to their respective games. My concern with Dubinsky was his skating, but his stride looked so much better on Friday, that, to me that's not a concern anymore. I think he's ready.
I wasn't just talking about you...People are putting way to much on one preseason game...I don't think Dawes is untoucahable but I think Renney likes him and will make room for him on the roster. Renney has mentioned Dawes more then once as an option to play on the top 3 lines.

I think what nobody is talking about so far in camp is how diffrent the team feels about Straka this season. In the past he was a top 2 line guy but this year it looks like it's 3rd line and major penalty killing time...but that's another subject i guess..

The Rangers can find room for all these guys if Hollweg and Orr are out of the line.....

Fletch, I like Baranka too but from everything i've read he hasn't had a great camp..He was also the worst guy on the ice last night...not the sole reason for his early deparature of course but all those things add up..I also think Sauer could be a better fit on the Rangers roster then Baranka...Staal too..With guys needing to go through waivers to get sent down Hutchinson, Pock, and Strudwick the Rangers are obviously going to take as much time as possible in letting them go...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 03:34 PM
E-Train

Quote:
bad camp or whatever, we still get to watch Strudwick, Pock and Hutchinson out there instead of Baranka. Thought all three have been mostly weak thus far, but of course, we shouldn't be so judgemental after one game.

Not sure why there isn't room on the Rangers for Baranka. He should be pretty high on the depth chart in case of unjuries (although there is Hutch, Pock and Strudwick ardoun too). Also, I'm not convinced that Sauer's better than Baranka just yet - not until I actually see the kid play in the AHL, where I've seen a lot of Baranka.

Eh, it's not big deal, but one game and then being sent down just means more Pock, Strudwick and Hutchinson which doesn't excite me too much.
Couldn't agree more Fletch.

SOS, I thought Rosie and Tuts were far worse than Baranka last night. He looks like he will be an NHL defenseman shortly. Maybe another 20 games in the A and he may be ready. I like him a hell of a lot more than Struds, Pock or Hutchinson. There will eventually be room for Staal, Sauer and Baranka.

E-Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
I am with you Fletch.

Really don't get why Kaspar gets any starts here.

We do allot of things to threat our players right, we have a good rep and we deserve it.

But you gotta draw a line somewhere. For several reasons there is no way that Kaspar will play in NY this year; and I really can't see anyone picking him up either. Who would that be?

We have filled our part of the bargain with Kaspar, this is the end for him. If anything the honorable thing for him to do would be to retire or play in Russia, the AHL is not the honorable way to end it for someone like him. I don't get why we are playing this kindergarden game with him.

And Struds, don't get me started, wow he stayed and worked during the PO's despite that he couldn't play. I am sure Baranka wouldn't have done that if asked. Struds is also just a terrible hockeyplayer, could be the worst D to play in the NHL last season. We gotta give the kids a shot at stepping up here. Hutchinson I can live with atleast; he got potential, sure he is older but 3 guys on the top 10 in scoring for D's last season had not scored more then 10 pts in the NHL before they where 25. I can't complain if he is given a chance. But Struds and Kaspar when we got allot of really good looking young D's on their way up?

Last edited by Ola: 09-23-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 05:15 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think what nobody is talking about so far in camp is how diffrent the team feels about Straka this season. In the past he was a top 2 line guy but this year it looks like it's 3rd line and major penalty killing time...but that's another subject i guess..
I don't think the team feels any differently about Straka than they have in the past. The organization LOVES him because he's extremely versitile and has an incredible attitude and will do whatever's asked of him. He's not being looked at as a 3rd liner because they think his stock has dropped, he's being talked about as a third liner because when you're talking about a line that has the potential of being made up of kids like Prucha, Cally or Dubi, you absolutely need a more veteran presence with them: someone who's responsible defensively, is a great mentor, can handle anything thrown at him on the ice, and can adapt to any style of play. That is Martin Straka to a tee, and what makes him one of the most valuable players on this team.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 06:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
jessimen should be sent back to Gleason's Gym to demand a refund no less to Hartford...
LOL I was watching thge game just as te fight started who ever was broadcasting started saying how Jessimen took boxing lessons over the summer, than BLAM the boy was knocked the F out, down on the ice for the count.
So embrassing.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 06:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

I was surprised that Liffito was sent down, thought he would have been looked @ a tad bit more.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Fletch

SoS...

too much emphasis is put on a bunch of practices. I can only comment on games in which I've seen Baranka, as well as his competition which includes Pock, Hutch and Strudwick, who no doubt will play in another game. Perhaps they all had great camps, but their first game wasn't so great, or not too impressive, and their futures are ??? - so why not let Baranka play another game. Heck, he wasn't too bad and his partner, Mara, at times, was downright awful.

Old
09-23-2007, 07:44 PM
eco's bones

Agree that Kaspar and Strudwick have seen better days and I think should be replaced with younger faster guys. At least one of Pck, Hutchison should go--they are more or less the same player. Is Baranka more ready than Sauer? I don't know. He certainly has more experience. I actually ranked him higher as a prospect but Sauer impressed me on Friday and Ivan didn't on Saturday.

Old
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
LOL I was watching thge game just as te fight started who ever was broadcasting started saying how Jessimen took boxing lessons over the summer, than BLAM the boy was knocked the F out, down on the ice for the count.
So embrassing.
Jessiman was never knocked out.

And the fight was a very good one up until he was knocked down.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Fletch

Thomas J...

taking boxing lessons over a Summer doesn't make you Ali or Fazier automatically, ad sometimes isn't even done to help your fighting. Could be for discipling, could be for hand-eye coordination. Guys like Tamer have taken boxing lessens, Fedoruk took Karate, I believe - you can't learn to fight in a Summer - but it's good training and discipline.

Old
09-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Edge

Gotta disagree on Baranka and frankly the clock is now starting to tick for him.

He didn't really stand out on in camp, he didn't really stand out in games and frankly I don't think the Strudwick's, Pock's and Hutchinson's of the world are what did him in.

His real competition came from Staal, Sauer and Girardi and he just didn't beat them out.

Now if all of those guys were sent down I'd be more inclined to agree, but those are your top 3 young defenseman right now which doesn't include Tyutin and Pock fighting for roster spots.

Fact of the matter is Mara was one of more solid defense late last season and Rozy isn't going anywhere so there's only so many defenseman you can keep up. At the end of the day Baranka had to outshine some people and he didn't.

I think he's still got a shot to be an NHL defenseman but the kid has now had two injury marked campaigns in the AHL that have prevented him from ever really getting into a groove and as of right now he's facing some stiff competition from kids who have either passed him or nipping at his heels.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Edge

Quote:
too much emphasis is put on a bunch of practices. I can only comment on games in which I've seen Baranka, as well as his competition which includes Pock, Hutch and Strudwick, who no doubt will play in another game. Perhaps they all had great camps, but their first game wasn't so great, or not too impressive, and their futures are ??? - so why not let Baranka play another game. Heck, he wasn't too bad and his partner, Mara, at times, was downright awful.
I think you're viewing his competition as those guys and not Girardi, Staal and Sauer who out worked him.

There's only so many minutes for young defenseman AND the veterans you're going to count on. As it stands already they're going to have juggle people to get icetime for the three young defenseman who outplayed him, let alone Baranka himself.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Fletch

Edge...

I'm viewing the competition as competition for that 6th spot, a spotas Pock, Hutch and Strudwick, who I believe are the front-runners with a rookie being behind them as that position still has not been decided (at least I don't think). It's not just Sauer and Staal. The former three are still around fighting for that 6th spot too and none of them impressed much either.

I saw a good amount of Baranka last season in the AHL and thought he deserved at least a second game, much like last year when he got a much longer look. Afford him the opportunity to show that he just didn't have a great game - much like the rest of the defense that included Mara, Tyutin and Pock as not having great games and the Rangers not scoring despite having their big guns out there. I know time is precious, but I think it was a little too early to send him down and the Rangers' brass have some kids on short leashes because their focus is elsewhere, and that focus does include the aforementioned trio.

Old
09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Fletch

Also Edge...

I don't think Tyutin and Girardi are fighting for a roster spot out of preseason. There's only one spot that every defenseman is really fighting for, and that's the sixth spot - the 7th would go to one of the 'vets,' and rightfully so. But everyone else is tuning-up, I believe. Girardi played too well in the NHL and the playoffs to be sent down to start the season due to a bad camp or a bad preseason game, I believe. I think he has some leeway, as does Tyutin and the rest. But my comment wasn't Mara vs. Baranka, per say, I was just pointing out that Baranka was mostly partnered with a guy who had a rough game. While Baranka has to stand on his own, it does help when your partner isn't sucking.