HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Langdon effect

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
The Langdon effect

Watching CTVSN this morning, combined with hearing about Langdon from his previous teams leads me to believe he's had a good effect on the lockerroom, and specifically on Ryder.

Langdon's one of those throw-back players that defends teammates under any circumstance, but always plays within his limitations and knows his role. I think he's one of the better enforcers in the game because of this. He'll never dazzle fans with his fighting prowess, but he's able to fight anyone in the league.

Many fighters like Brashear, McCarthy, Oliwa at times, Worrell and now Laraques pick their spots, and start thinking they're offensive players first, enforcers second. Few of them fight to defend teammates, and leave that to lesser goons (as Brashear has done in Philly with Fedoruk taking the reigns as the team's enforcer).

I think we take for granted just how few good enforcers there are in the league these days. Players that don't mind playing 3-5 minutes a night, being a healthy scratch on occasion, and told to like it, and also good enough at that job to keep the opposition honest. Added to that, Langdon's dirt cheap for a veteran enforcer.

While he's taken some heat for taking some penalties of late, this string of penalties started in early December, and most have been a result (IMO) of his reputation as a goon more than anything. I remember three penalties called on him in a row, starting against the Rangers I believe, where he had just checked a player and was called for it. They were brutal calls, either as even-ups or calling him for his reputation. Frankly, I think Langdon's one of the calmest and more disciplined enforcers in the league.

Can't say enough good things about the Begin and Langdon waiver-wire pickups.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

I've heard nothing but great things from Vancouver fans about Langdon. He and Souray-Bouillion-Q-Koivu have all made sure nobody pushes The Habs & Theodore around anymore. Nobody was standing up for one another until Koivu & Bouillion started fighting back, then the others HAD[U] to respond....It's made for better team chemistry.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:10 AM
habfan4

100% agree Mike:

For the money he's paid (500K) he's the best policeman in the game. Doesn't pick his spots, plays within his skill set, will fight to boost the team or protect teammates, and stays away from the "dumb" penalties.

In terms of his fighting style, it might not be pretty but it's effective. He doesn't look to end fights early, he paces himself, takes a few and ends up landing more at the end of a scrap when his opponent is gasping for breath.

Anything he does in the locker room or on the bench is a bonus, this guy know his role and thus far has played it perfectly.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Habsaku

Almost every Langdon fight has been a good fight, not to mention he's not a bad hockey player, he can actually play defense. He also checks, I'm so glad we replaced guys I hated like Lindsay, Dwyer and Blouin, we finally brought players who can actually do the job.

He's arlready 33 though, so he might come back after a lock out.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Langdon's a *great* enforcer. I too have heard that he has taken Ryder under his wing in that team and that combined to playing with Koivu is probably a big reason why Ryder's so full of confidence right now, playing like a seasoned vet already.

Langdon has always been a tremendously popular player everywhere he's been, because there's not a biggest team player along with a pretty likeable fellow in the locker room. You can add him to the factors that have helped create some chemistry and unity within that once divided team.

As for his pugilistic abilities, he's not flashy, but very smart, knowing when to drop 'em and leave them on. He does not feel the need to fight every game but will stick up for his teammates everytime they're victim of dirty plays (like against Atlanta).

I really think the Habs should offer him a 1 year contract at the end of this year. He seems to have a positive effects in Montreal and the simple fact the fans and media have completely stoped complaining about how we're pushovers and have no real tough guy to defend the small players proves beyond any doubt that Langdon is doing his job perfectly.

Cudos to Bob for finding 3 players that did not cost a thing and yet have become important parts of this year's edition of the Montreal Canadiens (Begin, Langdon and Dagenais).

Old
01-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Habber

Good call.

Langdon has been invaluable to us this season. Sure he takes some dumb penalties, but so does every enforcer and as Mike alluded a lot of them are a direct result of his reputation.

I was surprised at his hockey ability. While it's nothing great, when he came here I though he would be nothing more than goon but he has shown he can take shifts without being a defensive liability.

I think down the stretch we might see him scratched a little more often as other guys get healthy, but he doesn't need to play every game to be effective.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:19 AM
BigM1ke

Langdon is the perfect goon for us. The best in many years!

He's really a upgrade over Dwyer and Blouin. He's a team player and his almost always doing the right thing at the right moment...

I began to like him immediatly when he joined the team and I don't think I'll change my mind soon!

Old
01-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Bob Bastards

Langdon is great. He is not the best player in the world but he is a lot better then I though in the first place. I don't find that he take so much dumb penalty compare to some other goon or agitator. Overall at 500K a year this guy is a steal, espacialy after all the suppose goon we pick lately...

Old
01-08-2004, 10:27 AM
HABitude

Gainey !!!

Agree, Langdon is doing what we were expecting from him, he does his role and don't pretend for nothing more (which is wrong for players who are in the line-up as goons/protectors).

We can say there is the Langdon's effect, the Théo effect, the Saku effect, Souray effect, Julien, etc, etc, etc, but first of all there is the effect coming from the top, the head of the pyramid: THE GAINEY EFFECT.

Who kept Theodore* against all odds last summer? Who defended Breezer against the boobirds, who hired Bégin and Langdon, who is behind the coach CJ, who is lighting a fire under the @ss of lazy players,
who?
Answer: Gainey.

*Many people would have trade Theo in a heart beat. Look at the big mistake it would have been now. Ouch !! Lucky we have a GM who stands up. This is Gainey. Gainey rules!!

Old
01-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Langdon brings respect... Habs players doesn't seem scared anymore, which is fun to see. They throw bodychecks and even reply when they're roughed... He doesn't fight every game, but as it has been said, he doesn't pick his spots either. He's well liked in the dressing room and brings leadership, just because he will always protect his teammates. I don't care about those 'dumb' penalties, he do his job at the near perfection. He's fun to watch in the offensive zone, as he's not skilled but still plays with intensity. Definitely a good pick, as we haven't had a real goon in a long time!

Old
01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Guy!

S'funny, but it seems to me, and I've heard this from friends as well, that Langdon wasn't originally drafted as a 'goon' type player. That was something he developped in his game when he realized that his play was not going to be enough to keep him here.

The most pleasing part of that has the be the fact that he can play as well. Yes, I like that he's a team player and a good lockerroom person, but I think it's a wonderful bonus that, when you do put him on the ice, you don't have a lamo who's nothing but fists on blades.

Sure, he's nothing special, but he gives you good honest work, a better defensive coverage that some of the higher profile players, and occasionally a nifty play or two that would bring a smile to any coach's face.

With Begin, it's easy to give the kudos to Gainey. Langdon's contribution, while brute in some respects, is subtle but just as effective in others and, at least for me, he's been one of the best surprises on the Habs in years.

ACF

Old
01-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
S'funny, but it seems to me, and I've heard this from friends as well, that Langdon wasn't originally drafted as a 'goon' type player. That was something he developped in his game when he realized that his play was not going to be enough to keep him here.
ACF
I don't think Langdon went through any of the traditional routes to get to the pro level (eg. NCAA/CHL). As I recall, you're right, and he then signed with an ECHL club and racked up some insane amount of penalty minutes. Then he was invited to a NYR camp and I remember reading somewhere that he couldn't even bench 100lbs in his first camp, despite racking up loads of penalty minutes in the ECHL. Anyhow, apparently he impressed Rangers management enough with his character to give him a contract, and off he went to the Rangers' minor league affiliate...

Some trivia on Langdon, as I remember it, his first NHL goal was against Patrick Roy.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:46 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Watching CTVSN this morning, combined with hearing about Langdon from his previous teams leads me to believe he's had a good effect on the lockerroom, and specifically on Ryder.

Langdon's one of those throw-back players that defends teammates under any circumstance, but always plays within his limitations and knows his role. I think he's one of the better enforcers in the game because of this. He'll never dazzle fans with his fighting prowess, but he's able to fight anyone in the league.

Many fighters like Brashear, McCarthy, Oliwa at times, Worrell and now Laraques pick their spots, and start thinking they're offensive players first, enforcers second. Few of them fight to defend teammates, and leave that to lesser goons (as Brashear has done in Philly with Fedoruk taking the reigns as the team's enforcer).

I think we take for granted just how few good enforcers there are in the league these days. Players that don't mind playing 3-5 minutes a night, being a healthy scratch on occasion, and told to like it, and also good enough at that job to keep the opposition honest. Added to that, Langdon's dirt cheap for a veteran enforcer.

While he's taken some heat for taking some penalties of late, this string of penalties started in early December, and most have been a result (IMO) of his reputation as a goon more than anything. I remember three penalties called on him in a row, starting against the Rangers I believe, where he had just checked a player and was called for it. They were brutal calls, either as even-ups or calling him for his reputation. Frankly, I think Langdon's one of the calmest and more disciplined enforcers in the league.

Can't say enough good things about the Begin and Langdon waiver-wire pickups.
Agree with pretty much all the above posts. Langdon is a first class enforcer who won't hurt you with his play when you put him on the ice. As a fighter, he may not be as devastating as say Fergy was, but he's also a guy that no one, even the toughest, really want to fight imho. The reason is twofold: first, you're never gonna beat him (the most you can hope for is a draw); and second, sooner or later he will hit you, and when he does it's gonna HURT. In that sense, I think what makes Langdon effective is that he one of the most discouraging fighters to fight in the league. The recent Belak fight is a perfect example. Even after Belak landed 8 or 10 over hand rights (the best he had) Langdon was still coming forward, then a short left from Langdon and Belak's knees buckled, a second right tears off Belak's helmet, third short left and that was it. Pretty tough to beat a guy like Langdon. Like I said, the best anyone can hope for is a draw, and even then...well...talk to Belak.

Cheers.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:49 PM
BLONG7

Langdon's presence has made the team bigger... and of course buying out Claudette has made the team bigger!

Old
01-08-2004, 03:23 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Sure, he's nothing special, but he gives you good honest work, a better defensive coverage that some of the higher profile players, and occasionally a nifty play or two that would bring a smile to any coach's face.

ACF
Exactly.

He's a very underrated stickhandler in my opinion. I'll just watch him during one of his shifts, usually in the first period, skate a few strides around one of the offensive zone circles, with the puck on a string.

As Mike8 said too, when you have this type of player, who can contribute so much so modestly, it's a great asset to your team. Despite adding toughness, respectability, and even class (off the ice ) to the organization, you will never, NEVER hear Darren Langdon complain about his lack of play, he'll go out and work his butt off, even if it means serving a few minutes, and he's exceptionally smart when picking his fights.

Darren's just not going to go out there looking for trouble with the Brashear's, Belak's, and other cementheads of the league. Other players have casted him bait, and he'll simply ignore them, because in that situation, engaging in a brawl just isn't going to help the team.

Team players are players that win you games.

Closed Thread