HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Granato Is A Moron !!

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Granato Is A Moron !!

Ok I've been patient with this idiot until now but that's it...enough is enough. This guy has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO COACH. Don't wonder why we've gotten SO MANY shorthanded goals scored against us...it's not always the player's fault. I've seen so many HORRIBLE line changes that have caused those shorthanded goals this season, it's absolutely pathetic !

More proof this MORON shouldn't be behind the bench ? When there is 2:17 seconds left against Nashville and you're down 3-2 AND the stupid referrees take like 5 minutes to determine whether they should take off 1 or 2 seconds off the clock....when play starts up again, you DON'T put Martin Skoula on the ice. You just don't.

I've had it with this crap...this guy is just a complete idiot.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
nathan

vCash: 500
Yea, I think Skoula's luck has run out. Give up on the freakin' kid...it's quite obvious he has regressed.

Well, at least not as hideous as putting out the vaunted Cummins-Moore-McAllister line against Knuble-Thornton-Samsonov...

...not once, not twice, but THRICE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! :mad:

Old
01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Yayo

You tell 'em, Bender.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Oh man don't remind me about that Boston game...that was probably one of the worst "coaching performances" I've ever seen. You have the last change but the great Marty Skoula is up to the task

Old
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Breck Av

Granato did try to get Skoula off the ice for Blake during the time clock stoppage. Barry Trotz knew better and had the ref put the defenseman who was there first back on the ice. Granato is not a great coach, but in this intance he did try to sneak Blake on for back-to-back shifts with an unintentional break.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
Granato did try to get Skoula off the ice for Blake during the time clock stoppage. Barry Trotz knew better and had the ref put the defenseman who was there first back on the ice. Granato is not a great coach, but in this intance he did try to sneak Blake on for back-to-back shifts with an unintentional break.
granato may not be technically sound but at least he has sound interpersonal skills. that'll go a long way to keep the player's morale high. its a good thing the avs seem to have at least two other X and Os guys helping out tony (yes, i am even talking about tocchet). btw guys, cloutier handles the defense shifts....doesn't he? so if ur gonna blame someone...it should be him i would assume.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have a problem watching Skoula play like garbage on the first defensive unit, while Morris and even Liles are squandered on the 3rd pairing. Come on Tony.....

Old
01-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Ok I've been patient with this idiot until now but that's it...enough is enough. This guy has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO COACH. Don't wonder why we've gotten SO MANY shorthanded goals scored against us...it's not always the player's fault. I've seen so many HORRIBLE line changes that have caused those shorthanded goals this season, it's absolutely pathetic !

More proof this MORON shouldn't be behind the bench ? When there is 2:17 seconds left against Nashville and you're down 3-2 AND the stupid referrees take like 5 minutes to determine whether they should take off 1 or 2 seconds off the clock....when play starts up again, you DON'T put Martin Skoula on the ice. You just don't.

I've had it with this crap...this guy is just a complete idiot.

as i was reading this to myself i pictured you saying in Benders voice.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm certainly no Tony G fan, but he should get some kind of credit for keeping the team within shouting distance of the division title wit all the injuries we've had. Still...I can't help but think this team has continued to underachieve. Whatever the case, it's too late to fire him at this point. See how this season pans out. Anything less than the Western Conference Finals is unacceptable IMO.

Old
01-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Drury_Sakic

Sorry guys...

3 points back, with 2 games in hand ain't a bad job..

Say we win those games, we are 1st in the division, tied for 2nd overall in the league(2nd in the West)

Also considering the teams with better records than us...(we have 53 points, in 41 games)
Detroit 58 ::::: 4 = possible 8 points
Toronto 57 ::::: 3 = possible 6 points
Vancouver 56 :::: 2 = possible 4 points
Philadelphia 55 ::::: 2 = possible 4 points

If you add in the possible points(relative to each team) we would be in 1st place in the league(if we had all played the same # of games)

Consider, no Forsberg and Kariya for basicly a large chunk of the first half of the season.... Roy is gone... Abby is playing better than most expected for Tony...

Skoula is a +4, with 1 goal and 9 assists and playing a more physical game than ever before(which is still a bit weak)...

Speaking of Tanguay, having an All-Star season under a new coach....

As far as Blake playing with Skoula, Granato is actually SPREADING out the talent a bit on D..... Remeber those years where our top 3 played 25-30 min a game all season long... Remember the playoffs when the get tired and worn down quickly.. And by giving Skoula time with a top flight D man it A) gives Skoula a chance to actually work with a top flight D man and see what he can do B) gives him alot of ice time to show him off to other teams if he were to be traded...

Anyone remember what Hartleys record was at this point last season??

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 01-11-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old
01-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Jori

I disagree somewhat...

Skoula has been playing with top flight defenseman since his rookie season. He continues to remain stagnant mostly having to do with his attitude and his lack of attention to detail. It's the emergence of Liles (along with the addition of Skrastins) that has allowed Granato the luxury of giving fewer minutes to Blake and Foote. The team has played well despite injuries (but you can say that about a half dozen other NHL clubs), however, Granato has still made questionable decisions throughout the season. The fact that he was badly out coached by Lemaire last spring and refused to make adjustments still makes him a question mark.

This time last year Hartley was already gone. Hartley is and will always be a better coach in my mind than Granato. The players just stopped listening to Hartley and his methods were wearing on some of the younger players including Alex Tanguay. It's the natural cycle of an NHL coach.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23

It's the emergence of Liles (along with the addition of Skrastins) that has allowed Granato the luxury of giving fewer minutes to Blake and Foote.

Greg deVries was here last season(and the seasons before that)

Last season's D

de Vries---22:15
Blake---26:21
Foote---25:42
Morris---23:49
Skoula---18:27
McAllister(1st half)---8:02
Marchement(trade deadline/playoffs)---16:41

This season

Skrastins---21:49 = 26 seconds less than de Vries
Blake---25:10 = 1:11 less than last season
Foote---23:37 = 2:05 less than last season
Morris---21:01 = 2:47 less than last season
Skoula---17:14 = 1:13 less than last season
Liles---14:25 = 6:38 More than McAllister

I can see the argument about Liles taking more ice time than our past 6th d man. He, not Skrastins has absorbed the minutes shaved off of the big guns.

But I also say that Granato is still spreding the minutes around more... One of the reasons Liles is getting ice time(and not just ice time, quality ice time) is that Granato is not afraid to play young guys in pressure situations(which Hartley was NOT willing to do)... While Tony may not be everyones favorte Stratagy coach, he HAS found the right combo's with all the injurys. AND... I still feel that even though Granato was clearly out coached in the series against the Wild, Rob Blake said it right, a team with that amount of talent SHOULD NOT have lost in that situation, poor coaching or not.

Old
01-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Jori

I don't totally disagree, yet I'd point out that there was no guarantee that Skrastins was going to come in and replace de Vries effectively. The fact that he has been surprisingly good along with the play of Liles has allowed Granato to spread out the minutes.

Old
01-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
I don't totally disagree, yet I'd point out that there was no guarantee that Skrastins was going to come in and replace de Vries effectively. The fact that he has been surprisingly good along with the play of Liles has allowed Granato to spread out the minutes.
Actually, there was pretty much a guarantee that he was going to come in and be an effective replacement. He has been doing it for years in Nashville, but was just going unnoticed to everyone but Preds fans. He has always had 20+ mins of ice, and he plays big minutes. Always a good stay-at-home defensemen, good at blocking shots.....the only area that he was poor in was his offensive game, which has picked up a bit since his trade. I think PL knew exactly what he was doing when he traded for him and what he was getting. Skrastins went below what his value true is b/c he couldn't come to terms with the Preds in contract negotiations, so do not judge him by the third round pick alone.

Closed Thread