HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth, Oates and Isbister

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
coyote

vCash: 500
Smyth, Oates and Isbister

When is the coaching staff going to wake up. How many games are we going to lose while they experiment with this line. They have been without doubt the worst line in the last 3 or 4 games. Isbister is showing us why the Islanders traded him, very inconsistent. Oates is showing why 29 teams never showed any interest in him. Smyth is all mixed up and is forgetting what got him the big contract. He seems to be confused what his role is now either center or wing. Isbister is not the power forward we need he is a fourth liner. Oates is probably coaching material or put him on pension. Tell Ryan that he is our number one winger and start playing like it. Also let Hemsky see what the game is all about from the press box. Last year they did that and he came back and played great.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Walsher

This isn't an experiment. This is Ryan Smyth playing like a AHL plug, Adam Oates playing with 2 AHL plugs, and Brad Isbister starting to show decent potential. Where else do you put these players? Torres-York-Dvo are not going to be seperated, RPM is not going to be seperated, what else do you do? Ales Hemsky has been pathetic of late I don't see any other solutions. I agree that line is doing nothing but it isn't the coaches fault. Ryan Smyth is aweful and this year he is dragging players downhill with him.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Cerebral

This was actually their first poor game.. they were by far our most dominant line against Chicago when all three were out there! Agreed they didn't play great today but the line had been clicking previously..

Old
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
This was actually their first poor game.. they were by far our most dominant line against Chicago when all three were out there! Agreed they didn't play great today but the line had been clicking previously..
Did I miss something? How many POINTS did they click for or how many chances did they have. Not very many.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
The Rage

First, Mac-T is criticised for using his patented blender. Now, he criticised for sticking to a line for the staggering total of 4 games. I say give the boys a chance to develop some chemistry.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Did I miss something? How many POINTS did they click for or how many chances did they have. Not very many.
Smyth had been notching some points on the line.. Izzy was playing well too. You don't just look at the scoresheet to see how a line is contributing.. likewise, they had a lot of scoring chances. Not in this game persay but definitely in the past few.. have you been watching the same games I have?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:20 PM
coyote

Quote:
Smyth had been notching some points on the line.. Izzy was playing well too. You don't just look at the scoresheet to see how a line is contributing.. likewise, they had a lot of scoring chances. Not in this game persay but definitely in the past few.. have you been watching the same games I have?
I'm afraid so.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
First, Mac-T is criticised for using his patented blender. Now, he criticised for sticking to a line for the staggering total of 4 games. I say give the boys a chance to develop some chemistry.
I agree 100%. The line has showed reason to stay together IMO. And there needs to be some lines here that get used to playing with each other other than the RPM line(why do you think they're so much better together than when playing with others). I wouldn't mind if Oates was shipped off that top line, but Smyth and Isbister have played well together and could make a good line if they stick together. But all in all, I'd still prefer the line stay intact, including Oates.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:28 PM
coyote

Quote:
My ***** is not so much with Smyth but with Isbister and Oates. They are paid to produce and with their ice time they have not delivered. We rag on Pisani for not doing to much but we make excuses for the other two. Why is that?

Old
01-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
My ***** is not so much with Smyth but with Isbister and Oates. They are paid to produce and with their ice time they have not delivered. We rag on Pisani for not doing to much but we make excuses for the other two. Why is that?
Smyth and Oates are the ones getting the pp time, if anyone has dropped the ball it's them.

I really question the wisdom of playing Smyth and Isbister on Oates's line anyways, has anyone ever seen Ryan Smyth one-time a shot? Izzy? Honestly I don't think Smyth has ever taken a shot from more than 9 inches out, the dynamics of that line are the problem, not the chemistry.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:23 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Alot of people around here don't seem to care much about such meagre things as talent or points or wins...........or so I've found.

And I won't even get started on which players should be valued higher and which shouldn't but are....that'd get ugly.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
True enough. I've noticed that MacT has been criticized incessantly on this board for his line blender. Now that he's trying to give a line some time together, he's criticized as well. He's getting toasted whatever he does.

Old
01-09-2004, 11:17 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
True enough. I've noticed that MacT has been criticized incessantly on this board for his line blender. Now that he's trying to give a line some time together, he's criticized as well. He's getting toasted whatever he does.
Is anyone actually suprised by this?

Old
01-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
There are fans that have a hatred for both MacT and Lowe and no matter what they do, they'll get criticized.

01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Maybe if he put together a line that actually made sense, and out of logic instead of simple blending, he wouldn't get criticized.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Well we've got 2 of our 4 lines clicking, I think that our Oates and Horcoff lines still need to get something going. I agree that Smytty, Oatsy and Izzy have been so very ordinary for the most part. Our 4th line of Horcs, Stoll and Hemsky has also left alot to be desired. So basically, for 6 roster spots, we've got Smyth, Oates, Isbister, Stoll, Horcoff, Hemsky, Chimera and Laraque.

I think that Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky should sit out a game together and just watch from the pressbox.

I was trying to form a monster line, but we have no big centres, and I really dont want to see Smyth back there. but for fun, I'd like to see...
Isbister-Smyth-Laraque on a line, Imagine if these guys all played how we all all know they can, cuz when they want to, all 3 can dominate the ice. If these guys get some cycle chemistry working, theyd be hard to stop. Unfortunately, they are probably our 3 most inconsitent players. So maybe that could be our 4th line.

Closed Thread