HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

BOB lookin to give future considerations only

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
BOB lookin to give future considerations only

ok all you people ...bob says a third line center for future considerations from a not contending play off team...so as it stands right now..columbus,pittsburg.washington and he mentions near the trade deadline so there will be possiblity of more...found this fresh on spectors trade rumours jan -6-04...so right now i'd say mike silliger,mike eastwood,who else would be worth future considerations?

i found this on spectors trade rumours-------
please read bob lips...nobody goin anywares...NO BLOCKBUSTER DEALS IN STORE FOR CANADIENS.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey reports Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey isn't likely to swing a blockbuster trade to help his club in the second half of the season. Gainey said he's pleased with how his club has played thus far. If changes are made, they'll likely be from farm club call-ups or a trade deadline deal. Gainey said such a move would be "less about somebody leaving than about somebody coming in", adding he doesn't see a player leaving and would prefer to offer up "future considerations" to a non-playoff club. He did acknowledge, however, that the team ownership hasn't set limits on what he can spend should the right deal come along.

Spector's Note: Gainey is seeking a centre with a right-handed shot, but at the price of future considerations that means at best a third liner. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to make a huge deal, as the Habs have made noticeable improvement this season compared to last.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Guy Caballero

He did acknowledge, however, that the team ownership hasn't set limits on what he can spend should the right deal come along.

That's all you need to know. In other words, it's still highly possible that Gainey will deal for an impact player. His m.o. has been to stabilize the dressing room by making everyone feel that their positions are safe, and that's all he did by making his statement. However, there are many ways to interpret what he said. For example, when he said, "It will not be a case of a guy leaving the team," he might have been referring only to impact roster players, i.e., Koivu, Ryder, Ribeiro, Zed, Bulis, etc. He might not have meant minor-league players (Hossa, Hainsey, Perezhogin) or guys on the edge right now in MTL (Perreault, Kilger). His definition of a "blockbuster" pickup might include someone like Jagr, but not someone like Arnott or Hamrlik.

I don't think we can count anything out just yet, other than the fact that Gainey will not trade away anyone off one of our top two lines. That's a good thing, IMO.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
He did acknowledge, however, that the team ownership hasn't set limits on what he can spend should the right deal come along.

That's all you need to know. In other words, it's still highly possible that Gainey will deal for an impact player. His m.o. has been to stabilize the dressing room by making everyone feel that their positions are safe, and that's all he did by making his statement. However, there are many ways to interpret what he said. For example, when he said, "It will not be a case of a guy leaving the team," he might have been referring only to impact roster players, i.e., Koivu, Ryder, Ribeiro, Zed, Bulis, etc. He might not have meant minor-league players (Hossa, Hainsey, Perezhogin) or guys on the edge right now in MTL (Perreault, Kilger). His definition of a "blockbuster" pickup might include someone like Jagr, but not someone like Arnott or Hamrlik.

I don't think we can count anything out just yet, other than the fact that Gainey will not trade away anyone off one of our top two lines. That's a good thing, IMO.
=========

then why would he say this then?
adding he doesn't see a player leaving and would prefer to offer up "future considerations"

i interped this as no one is leaving (killger or perrault)...i know we got a lot of perrault bashers here but would he be nice to have in the playoffs takin a face off in our end with 10 sec to go in the seventh game of the stanley cup finals with a 3-2 lead?if were goin to trade him for a pick i say we keep him...i know he done at yrs end with us but still ,what he offers us offensivly has to be worth more than a draft pick...yes his defense stinks .

Old
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
=========

then why would he say this then?
adding he doesn't see a player leaving and would prefer to offer up "future considerations"

i interped this as no one is leaving (killger or perrault)...i know we got a lot of perrault bashers here but would he be nice to have in the playoffs takin a face off in our end with 10 sec to go in the seventh game of the stanley cup finals with a 3-2 lead?if were goin to trade him for a pick i say we keep him...i know he done at yrs end with us but still ,what he offers us offensivly has to be worth more than a draft pick...yes his defense stinks .
No Perreault bashing here. I like the guy, and I totally agree that I'd rather keep him than trade him for a pick. But if we could package him with a prospect and get a tough winger, I'd do it. Of course, that begs the question: Why would a non-playoff team want a guy whose contract is up at the end of the season? And the answer is they wouldn't. That's why if a deal for Perreault happens, I think it will be sooner than later, to a team on the cusp who needs to fill a hole at center. If the deadline approaches and he's still on the Habs, he won't be going anywhere (unless there's a team out there that's absolutely desperate for a center, but then they wouldn't be likely to deal an impact player for him, since they'd need their team intact for their own playoff run).

Old
01-07-2004, 01:37 PM
G Man 77

Hello people... you think he's really going to tell us what he's got up his sleave? Time to wake up everybody.

Better to say you plan on keeping everyone, maybe adding something for future considerations meaning a very minor deal... keep expectations low and work in the background.

I read another article where's quoted as saying that now that he has taken a half-season to get to know all the players he has here & in Hamilton... he now knew what he had, and what was missing... and his job was to improve the team.
He mentionned the team will need reinforcements in their race for the playoffs.

He'll try to land an Arnott or whoever if he can, if not he'll settle for character players... but he'll sure as hell try to land a "big fish".
He inquired about Iginla, Primeau, Comrie, Peca, Arnott.... probably more we haven't heard about.

I'm not saying he came close to landing any of these players, but he inquired so don't buy this "standing pat" BS. He'll improve this team before the deadline, no question.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:46 PM
BLONG7

By stating that it's more about someone coming in and less about someone leaving, is also a way to keep the players relaxed and loose. He doesn't want 5 or 6 guys playing nervous and looking over their shoulders... he may part with a current roster player and he may not, depends... he may try and use Hamilton's players in a trade thus not affecting the current Habs line up which has been playing better. One thing is for sure, only BG knows and probably AS... it's a chess game sometimes and BG uses the media as a pawn.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Thanks , nice to know what's going on ... ( read : yea ! no more stupid rumor )

Old
01-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Darz

I think what BG was trying to accomplish by stating 'no player would be leaving' is to give the players in the lockeroom a sort of vote of confidence. He's basically telling the player we have with his comments that 'I expect you guys to make the playoffs, as is'.
Smart move by Bob imo.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Mike8

I think we all read too much into management and players' quotes. Especially given the fact that we don't know what questions they're responding to.

That said, does no one else think that management (and players) generally give the same cliche'd responses? And some players/management seem to talk in circles (specifically Gainey, at times), with the sole intention to confuse those that read too much into his comments.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Habs4ever

Well he also acknowledge he wasn't going to trade for $10 M player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero

which would imply he's got to keep the salary level of player coming in at as minimum level as possible, $10 M is just the figure to say that he won't be bringing in big salary dump from another team.

Old
01-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I would like them to go after Ronnie Francis. Who is thinking about retiring after the season and Carolina looks out of the playoff race.

However, we will probably have to overpay to get him. Either Hossa or a #1 in 2004

Closed Thread