HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alfredsson: Opinions on his character...

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
McFly

vCash: 500
Alfredsson: Opinions on his character...

We all know that Daniel Alfredsson is a great hockey player, but his character is questionable IMHO. I've always found him to be cowardly, gutless and at times a cheap shot artist. He seems to lack the class to be a true NHL captain. I don't think he carries himself nor represents his team the way he should. The Stanley Cup guarantee last week, and now the Mats Sundin mock stick throwing, only inforce what I think about his lack of character.

Everyone else post what you think of this guy, whether you agree or not. Sens fans, stand up for your captain, I can take it.

By the way, this is not sour grapes over the Leafs losing 7-1, this is completely seperate. I could've posted this last year.

Go ahead...

Old
01-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
We all know that Daniel Alfredsson is a great hockey player, but his character is questionable IMHO. I've always found him to be cowardly, gutless and at times a cheap shot artist. He seems to lack the class to be a true NHL captain. I don't think he carries himself nor represents his team the way he should. The Stanley Cup guarantee last week, and now the Mats Sundin mock stick throwing, only inforce what I think about his lack of character.

Everyone else post what you think of this guy, whether you agree or not. Sens fans, stand up for your captain, I can take it.

By the way, this is not sour grapes over the Leafs losing 7-1, this is completely seperate. I could've posted this last year.

Go ahead...
WJy are people so sensitive here? I think ALfie is a very good leader. And I think he has character.

Leafs avatar, hmmm?

Sens trounce Leafs 7-1...

Questions of character!
Does anyone see the irony here?

Old
01-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

LOL.

Your questioning Alfredsson's character, but you have an image of Tucker as your avatar ?

Old
01-08-2004, 06:30 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
WJy are people so sensitive here? I think ALfie is a very good leader. And I think he has character.

Leafs avatar, hmmm?

Sens trounce Leafs 7-1...

Questions of character!
Does anyone see the irony here?
Could I have made it any more clear?

"By the way, this is not sour grapes over the Leafs losing 7-1, this is completely seperate. I could've posted this last year."

I'm guessing you are a Canes fan? You wouldn't have seen as much as Leaf, Habs, any North Eastern teams have of Alfie doing his things. Ottawa would get less exposure down there, no?

Old
01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
But you didn't. You posted fresh off a thromping.

Looks like sour grapes to me

Old
01-08-2004, 06:32 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
LOL.

Your questioning Alfredsson's character, but you have an image of Tucker as your avatar ?

This isn't about Tucker...read the title?

Why should that have any barring on this discussion anyways!

If people are just going to be ignorant, than don't bother posting.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier

Agreed...he should have at least waited 24 hours for it to not so much like sour grapes

Old
01-08-2004, 06:33 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier

Because he didn't mock Sundin until tonight!

Old
01-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Douggy

I thought it was hillarious when he allmost threw the stick! I'm not sure if he's the superstar some people think he is, but who on the Sens team would YOU rather have as Captain?

Old
01-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
If people are just going to be ignorant, than don't bother posting.
People should follow their own advice sometimes :p

I don't see why garanteeing a cup is necessarly a mark of poor character, BTW. Messier garanteed a win too once.

Basically, whatever Alfie promised has now added pressure on him to succeed. We'll see soon enough if he can follow up on his promises and whether he raises his game at crunch time.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I thought it was pretty damn funny.

Perhaps bad timing, but still funny.

but, if he ever did something like that in a Canadiens game...I'd be super-pissed!

:p

Old
01-08-2004, 06:54 PM
PrairieHabber

All I can think about is the irony of your Tucker avatar along with accusations of another player being cowardly, gutless, and a cheap shot artist. Very funny. And no, I'm not being ignorant. I just think you ranted without counting to 10 first.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:57 PM
willie

Quote:
Because he didn't mock Sundin until tonight!
Give me a break. It was a harmless joke. A little too sensitive, are we?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
I thought it was hillarious when he allmost threw the stick! I'm not sure if he's the superstar some people think he is, but who on the Sens team would YOU rather have as Captain?
I'd give it to Wade Redden. At least he has a proper haircut..

Old
01-08-2004, 07:08 PM
WhalerBoy

im not necessarily a leafs fan, but I do follow the team, and I gotta say, leafs fans are the last people who should be throwing stones.

ill stay away from Tucker and his questionable conduct, and the ridiculous notion that what Sundin did yesterday was an accident. As for Alfreddson, not sure what exactly before tonight made you question his character. Guaranteeing a cup? didnt read about that, but I never understand why thats a problem? what do you want him to say, I guarantee a playoff spot and Im hoping we fluke off a series win or two????

Im guessing you saw that game, got frustrated, saw the Quinn press conference where he said Alfredsson is childish, and decided to slam the opposing team's captain. And I think others are drawing the same conclusion.

If you ask me, Alfredsson has skill, heart and grit. Was it a stupid move tonight? yeah. But overall, he's been an exemplary captain, never shies away from any part of the game and never shies away from talking to the media after bad losses. And I dont hear him whining about refereeing, Colin Campbell, or bad calls from the 93 playoffs.

oh, and I am not in any way a Senators fan.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:10 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

Go ahead...

Why do you bother.. You really think anyone here is going agree? What I do is sit back and count the double standards and NOT start any threads looking for support of the Maple Leafs. I know it wasn't in good sport, you know it wasn't in good sport, everyone knows it wasn't in good sport, but it was against the Leafs so that means its ok.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Boomhower

Quite the opposite, I find Alfredsson to be a very dedicated and determined player and person. Aside from his obvious abundance of skill, you can tell Alfredsson has a great passion to compete by the look in his eye when he is playing the game. Alfredsson also did a terrific job of leading the Sens to the President's trophy last season despite incredible off ice turmoil (Bankrupcy, players not being paid and general uncertainty) in the Senators organization, throughout the regular season.

As for his latest act of jest, take it for what it's worth, the game was over! and Sundin is a good friend of his. Alfredsson meant it as a joke.... nothing more. If Sundin were to come out and say he was offended by the joke and hopes to get "payback" against Alffy down the road, I would be very surprised! But to see a knuckle dragging neanderthal like Pat Quinn say this is not surprising, he was only pouting because the Sens crushed the Leafs and Alfredsson gave Quinn an avenue to make a fool of himself.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Youreallygotme

Daniel Alfredson is a great captain. He beleives in his self and his teammates, and he is a true leader, except when he had a poor playoff performance last year. His stick throwing mocking was funny. His guarunteeing the cup, what could possibly be wrong with that? It instills confidence into the team. And guess what? it looks like it came at the right time too, because the sens have been unbeatable since. I think it was a winning tactic, but it was also a true statement.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I'd give it to Wade Redden. At least he has a proper haircut..
I dunno. I find the haircut funny. I wouldn't want to look like that but it doesn't offend me at all.

I prefer an energetic and older Alfie as captain instead of an emotionless clean-cut Redden.

That being said... I think he'll regret what he did tonight. The Sens took advantage of a very hurt Leafs roster to kick them down and Alfie's gesture is like kicking them in the teeth *while* they're down.

I like it as a fan because it means hockey between the two will be even more emotional from now on, at least I hope so. But I'm not sure it was wise and I think the Leafs will try and come back with a vengeance.

On top of this, I think they are a much more "battle-ready" team than the Sens.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:20 PM
st_roland

Alfie is an awesome team leader, in my estimation. I don't know much about the sens locker room, but i've never seen him take a shift off(I unfortunatly dont catch many sens games).

Old
01-08-2004, 07:20 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

When's the next Leafs vs Sens game? I hope Alfredsson is ready to defend himself (either with his own hands or hired guns).

Old
01-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Why do you bother.. You really think anyone here is going agree? What I do is sit back and count the double standards and NOT start any threads looking for support of the Maple Leafs. I know it wasn't in good sport, you know it wasn't in good sport, everyone knows it wasn't in good sport, but it was against the Leafs so that means its ok.
You're so right about this.

There's no point in ever complaining about anything that comes the Leafs way. Everybody hates them and everybody hates Leaf fans. It's just better to not complain at all because anything of the sort will be attacked by other fans.

You know the story: Leafs fan says something, a Canucks fan says "Tucker Tucker Tucker," and Sens fan goes "Roberts elbow" and another Sens fan says "Domi's an idiot" and then an Isles fan will jump in and that KillToronto moron will say something like "Kill Toronto."

There's no point in looking for any pro Leaf sentiments, because there are none.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:21 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Wasn't in good sport? God...people complain that hockey players are too boring. Then then complain when they do something as harmless as this to poke a little fun at the captain of their rival. Give me a break...I don't care who it was against, it was harmless and humorous. I have nothing against Leafs fans, but you really have to get off this "we're so hard done by" bit.

Alfredsson's a great player and a good captain.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:25 PM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
You're so right about this.

There's no point in ever complaining about anything that comes the Leafs way. Everybody hates them and everybody hates Leaf fans. It's just better to not complain at all because anything of the sort will be attacked by other fans.

You know the story: Leafs fan says something, a Canucks fan says "Tucker Tucker Tucker," and Sens fan goes "Roberts elbow" and another Sens fan says "Domi's an idiot" and then an Isles fan will jump in and that KillToronto moron will say something like "Kill Toronto."

There's no point in looking for any pro Leaf sentiments, because there are none.
hahaha, what you're saying is true but it's also pretty funny the way you said it.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
hahaha, what you're saying is true but it's also pretty funny the way you said it.
Well, thank you.

Closed Thread