HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alfredsson: Opinions on his character...

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 11:17 PM
ArtVandelei

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Ohh, who is that cute thing? A child, a grand child, perhaps? Either way, Kudos on the newborn! Judging by the child's golden filament, and the striking resemblance in their attitudes, I'd say you have a mini-Alfredsson on your hands! May he grow up to be a leader of men, just like Alfredsson! Lehaim!

Old
01-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Ohh, who is that cute thing? A child, a grand child, perhaps? Either way, Kudos on the newborn! Judging by the child's golden filament, and the striking resemblance in their attitudes, I'd say you have a mini-Alfredsson on your hands! May he grow up to be a leader of men, just like Alfredsson! Lehaim!
Denial.

Its not just a river in Egypt folks !

Old
01-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Strizzi

PLEASE LET SUNDIN DECIDE WHETHER IT WAS CLASSLESS OR NOT!

Seriously, towards my friends I can make jokes that I would never make towards anyone else. And they know that there's no disrespect or any other negative feeling in there. So please guys, stop that overly sensitive fun-killing, unless Sundin HIMSELF says that he thinks it was not right to do this. How do you know that he was not smiling when Alfie did this? Did you talk to him afterwards?

I find it unbelievable how some fans, coaches and TV guys (hello Don Cherry...) try to become the moral supervisors of the game nowadays, when it should be up to the players to decide what they tolerate and what not (as long as it's not affected by the NHL rules, of course).

Old
01-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
May he grow up to be a leader of men
Except on Roshashana and Super Bowl Sunday.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
PLEASE LET SUNDIN DECIDE WHETHER IT WAS CLASSLESS OR NOT!

Seriously, towards my friends I can make jokes that I would never make towards anyone else. And they know that there's no disrespect or any other negative feeling in there. So please guys, stop that overly sensitive fun-killing, unless Sundin HIMSELF says that he thinks it was not right to do this. How do you know that he was not smiling when Alfie did this? Did you talk to him afterwards?

I find it unbelievable how some fans, coaches and TV guys (hello Don Cherry...) try to become the moral supervisors of the game nowadays, when it should be up to the players to decide what they tolerate and what not (as long as it's not affected by the NHL rules, of course).
I agree.
I think Sundin is not the type of guy who gets upset about a thing like that anyway. IF he got upset, he'd probably give Alfie a phone call rather than going neanderthal on him on ice. Also one should remember that Sundin and Alfie are probably more friends than enemies. This whole thing seems kinda silly already from the beginning. Those composite sticks are CRAP to begin with, no wonder a guy snaps sooner or later. Why not outlaw them and allow more curve to the blade instead? That way we could reduce goalie equipment size without hearing all the excuses about people shooting that much harder etc. Getting slightly off topic but whatdahell.

That said, Alfie should get a haircut and **** instead of promising stuff he has virtually no control over..

Edit: sheesh, they filter acronyms about shutting the youknowwhat up nowdays? Unbelievable..

Old
01-09-2004, 12:45 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
I'm guessing you are a Canes fan? You wouldn't have seen as much as Leaf, Habs, any North Eastern teams have of Alfie doing his things. Ottawa would get less exposure down there, no?
There is a little something known as NHL center ice, you might have heard of it, no?

Old
01-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Mike8

Sensitive bunch, aye?

I don't see the big deal. It was a joke. Some players on the Leafs (and Quinn specifically) tend to take themselves a little too seriously on these type of events. And since the Leafs seem to have taken offense to this, it'll just heat up a potential rivalry here. The more rivalries the better.

I'd say the same thing if roles were reversed and Sundin made a joke about Alfredsson. If anything, this type of thing shows character, and shows that hockey's still a game to have fun. Most players are so lethargic and go-with-the-flow types that it's refreshing to see a few players enjoying the game, and playing it with some character.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:51 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Sensitive bunch, aye?

I don't see the big deal. It was a joke. Some players on the Leafs (and Quinn specifically) tend to take themselves a little too seriously on these type of events. And since the Leafs seem to have taken offense to this, it'll just heat up a potential rivalry here. The more rivalries the better.
I agree with you but I wouldn't worry about Quinn. He's an old school guy and he's counting on this incident to energize his guys. You need those motivational ploys once in a while in a long 82-game schedules.

You never know when your team is going to fall flat. That's one ace for Quinn to keep just in case, IMO.

Personally, I like the incident. Just as you said, it just heats up the rivalry even more and ALL hockey fans will beneficiate as a result, no matter which team they root for.

I think Alfie made a big mistake. The Sens still have a lot to learn...

Old
01-09-2004, 03:00 AM
south-sentral

Sour grapes

As far as I'm concerned, the alfie incident atleast gave something for leaf fans to talk about. ( which is a GOOD thing) Some of you guys act like he deserves a suspension for having fun. Get real, it's not like he was taunting the bench after scoring the eigth empty net goal. It would have been much better if the game was at the CC, and then he would have received a better reaction for sure. Leaf fans are so fickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

Learn what exactly? If Alfie pulled an act like that in the playoffs then this will give the leafs extra motivation to play harder. But a regular season game where your up 6-1 at that point ....

Old
01-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I agree with you but I wouldn't worry about Quinn. He's an old school guy and he's counting on this incident to energize his guys. You need those motivational ploys once in a while in a long 82-game schedules.

You never know when your team is going to fall flat. That's one ace for Quinn to keep just in case, IMO.

Personally, I like the incident. Just as you said, it just heats up the rivalry even more and ALL hockey fans will beneficiate as a result, no matter which team they root for.

I don't know if it was that much of a mistake. Depends how you look at it.

From a management or ownership perspective, it's great. Alfredsson showing that type of character making him more likeable and 'charismatic' to Sens fans will bring more fans out to the arena. Not this individual incident, but showing emotion and character on the ice on a consistent basis will. Unexpected events are always fun and add to the flavour of the game for a fan's experience.

From a team perspective, Alfredsson keeps things loose and fun for his team. The Sens have always been accused of not having the necessary character or emotion to win. They've been accused of not having the guts to stand up to bigger, tougher and old-school teams like Toronto. I think Alfredsson's shown a lot of character and emotion these past two seasons, and developed a bit of a cocky air. This is good for Alfredsson the leader and the player, as well as for Ottawa the team and its place in the city.

It can backfire and give Toronto the motivation to play that much harder, but it can also solidify the Sens and make them work as a unit that much better. Nothing beats a team that is solidified and has the top tier talent and depth that the Senators have.

Old
01-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
The originator of this thread is nuts. Goldylocks is a fantastic leader- that is indisputable.

How can you question his leadership, when he almost lead his team to an almost victory over the Leafs in the playoffs for 3 consecutive years!?

When Alfredsson took a superior roster and lost 4 straight games to the Leafs just a few years ago, did he quit? - HELL NO.

When Alfredsson took a superior roster the next year, and lost to the Leafs again, did he quit?- UMM NO!

When Alfredsson took a 3-2 series lead with a superior roster the next year, and blew game 6, did he quit? NO SIR! When Alfredsson went up in game 7 against a team featuring 9 AHLers, and lost that game, did Alfredsson quit? YOU DAMN RIGHT HE DIDN'T!

When Alfredsson faced an opponent missing 6 of it's top players, and being up 6-1, did he give up and put it in 2nd gear? NO WAY, JOSE. He skated right by the bench of the enemy, and showed them his unyielding spirit by defying the silly standards of "sportsmanship".

When Alfredsson drew the ire of Leaf players, did he give into his enemies desires and step a foot on the ice for even one more shift? YOU DAMN SKIPPY HE DIDN'T!

Goldylocks is a true leader, and I'll be damned if I sit here, and let you besmirch his accomplishments!
You know, I always thought Alfredsson's locks were a mockery of Sundin's ever growing chrome dome.

Oh yea, Ottawa's almost victory over the Leafs, but it doesn't compare to that ALMOST Stanley Cup Toronto has ALMOST won for the last 36 some years. 36 years! Is the parade still on?

Your so-called AHL lineup has a higher payroll than Ottawa's. Is that your best bang for a buck, a 7-1 drubbing!

Just wait Ottawa. Wait until Domi and Tucker search out your Lady Byng contenders. Oh Oh! Arvedson is gone. Who will Tie so bravely go after this time. I hope Ottawa doesn't trade for Richardson. With Kaberle out, who will Domi hide behind?

What really pisses me off is what Alfredsson did. He didn't even throw the broken stick into the crowd. It would have been classier to have ACTUALLY thrown the jagged edge stick into the crowd like that classy Sundin.

Yea, no doubt about it, Sundin is a man to admire!

Old
01-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quinn making a big deal of this is simply the deflection of what happened on the ice in hopes of getting the team pumped up for the next time they play the Sens this season. It's good coaching, although Quinn probably plays the whiner card a bit too much (but I'm a Sens fan, so maybe it just seems that way).

As to Alfredsson being a good captain, I think he's a great leader. The fact he did that in mock of a friend of his (Sundin) right in the Lion's den, and then comes out the next shift and looks every Leaf player in the eye, well I don't see how that's Chicken****. And are the Leafs really going to go after him any more than they already do? With the history between the two teams and the growing rivalry, does any player really need another excuse to get up for the "next" game? I wouldn't think so.

Also, Alfredsson's individual performance in the playoffs has always been one of the best on the team. As captain, he has to take his share of blame for some of the losses in the past, but the Sens are the only team in the league to advance past the first round in each of the last two seasons. And I actually think in a few of those "bad" post-seasons, Alfredsson was one of the only players to show up (and Martin showed more of a lack of leadership in those years than Alfredsson). Admittedly, I'd rather lose in the first round three years in a row and then win the Cup, but his tenure is hardly over. Is Sundin a crappy captain because he's never lead the Leaf's to get to the Cup in the last 10 years? I leave that to a Leafs fan to answer.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:32 AM
sensfan18

All the leafs should send alf a hallmark thank-you card, because of his actions no-one is talking about the ass-whopping they took last night. Fact of the matter is Sundin and Alf are friends, while the timing was bad for the act (alf admitted that) it would be like me or you doing the same thing to a friend of ours, JUST A JOKE but on a bigger stage. You would do it, I would do it.

BTW, for you leaf fans let's not forget that if your leader would not have committed such an incredibly stupid act there would not be an opening for this shot to be taken.

PS. I can only imagine the the speel that old'boy grapes is going to go on directed towards Alf, should be interesting. My money says he barely says anything about how stupid throwing the stick into the crowd was and just concentrates on Alf mocking him.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
I thought it was hillarious when he allmost threw the stick! I'm not sure if he's the superstar some people think he is, but who on the Sens team would YOU rather have as Captain?
A) Agreed. Stick throwing motion was a classic. To answer the Captain question, Redden would be a good Captain. Maybe Bonk....

B) Alfy needs to cut the mop off his head once and for all.

C) To the original poster with the Tucker Avatar whose timing just *happened* to be immediately after a 7-1 ass-pounding: wahhhh!

Know thyself pal, know thyself. I can just see you sitting there, steaming over the loss, and then composing yourself and saying "yah but you know... that Alfredsson, he's really no leader at all...."

Still sour grapes.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Steve L*

You know whats funny, the next time they meet up to play for Sweden, Alfredsson and Sundin will have a beer and laugh about it.

Quinns (well, at least this particular one) and the Leafs fans whining will be a long lost memory.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:44 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
We all know that Daniel Alfredsson is a great hockey player, but his character is questionable IMHO. I've always found him to be cowardly, gutless and at times a cheap shot artist. He seems to lack the class to be a true NHL captain. I don't think he carries himself nor represents his team the way he should. The Stanley Cup guarantee last week, and now the Mats Sundin mock stick throwing, only inforce what I think about his lack of character.

Everyone else post what you think of this guy, whether you agree or not. Sens fans, stand up for your captain, I can take it.

By the way, this is not sour grapes over the Leafs losing 7-1, this is completely seperate. I could've posted this last year.

Go ahead...
In response to all those questioning this post and the reasons for it, I will counter with I think it is a fair enough question.

Some will say he plays with an edge. Others will call him a cheap shot artist.

Some (Sens fans) will say he's worth a 5 year contract extension, others will question whether he can lead the Sens to a cup.

Same goes for most captains league wide. Even diehard fans of say team X will always question whether the captain has the heart, determination, leadership abilities, grit etc. to lead their team.

I see Leaf fans do it with Sundin, Stars fans do it with Modano, the debate rages on in Lightning land, New York with Messier etc. etc.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:46 AM
zenator

So Leaf fans think Alfie is gutless, a poor captain.

Independent fans think he is a good player, good captain. This includes a few Canadiens fans that I know who dislike the Leafs and the Sens.

The way Alfie has gotten under the skin of the Leafs and their fans is classic ! Good job, Alfie. The fact that the Leaf fans are the ONLY fans that question Alfie's leadership, and are so upset by his deeds further reinforces his quality. When everyone was whining about Darcy Tucker it shows that he is a quality player and did a good job getting under the skin of opponents, right ? Ahh, the double standard, he's a Leaf of course, but Alfredsson is a bum despite committing lesser misdeeds. Boo hoo.

Agitators have been in the NHL forever. Remember, when they get opposing fans or teams all upset it means they have done their job. I hope the Leaf players are distracted by Alfie as well. These things get players off their game when they can't focus on winning, but focus on imagined slights.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:56 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Over-sensitive, hyper-critical Leaf fans with an inferiority complex make me laugh.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Slats432

The Oilers had a few cocky players in the early 80s that didn't turn out too bad. Cocky is good(to a point).

If Alfie and Sundin are friends, then it was funny as heck. If he was trying to mock the Leafs, I wouldn't have done it.

I don't know what is in his head so I can't comment for certain.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:12 AM
habfan4

The affair Alfredsson is a tempest in a teapot (which undoubtedly Quinn will use later on down the road).

From all the vitriol in this thread one would think that Alfredsson had "McLarened" Joe Nieuwendyk or Tomas Kaberle (and yes I know he didn't play last night).

Old
01-09-2004, 06:16 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

What Alfredsson did was great for the rivalry, great for hockey, and just plain hysterical.

Pat Quinn is a notorious crybaby, so why should anyone be surprised that he took a shot at Alfie after the game. He is going to complain about something. If Mats Sundin doesn't want to be mocked, well don't just toss your stick out of the rink.

If Darcy Tucker is in your avatar, you immediately lose your right to question other players character.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Pat Quinn is a notorious crybaby, so why should anyone be surprised that he took a shot at Alfie after the game. He is going to complain about something. If Mats Sundin doesn't want to be mocked, well don't just toss your stick out of the rink.
I don't think we should over-blow Quinn's reaction either. He's famous for deflecting attention from one thing by exagerating the impact of another.

Just looking at when Tucker jumped into the Sens bench only to get the hell beat out of him. Quinn came out saying Neil spit on Tucker, when it was clear from video that nothing of the sort happened. Later on Tucker admitted lying about it (ok, he admitted "exagerating " as he put it).

Back when Domi cheap shotted Neidermeyer in the playoffs in the middle of their series, Quinn went on about how Stevens had butt-ended Tucker when asked about the Domi hit. It was a complete fabrication, but Quinn was just trying to minimize the deeds committed by his players.

Of course, it does hurt his credibility when he goes on a new tirade (Pat should probably read the lesson of never cry wolf to figure out why Ref's don't listen to him), but he is just doing what he thinks is best for the team. Some short-term gains, that in the end, lead to some long-term pains. His call.

All's fair in love and war (and this rivalry ain't about love).

Old
01-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator1
So Leaf fans think Alfie is gutless, a poor captain.
Not all (actually less than half I'd say) agree with this. I said it in the other thread, that last night's incident was nothing more than a little poke at his Swedish counterpart. No big deal. I personally think it was a "little" funny, although I'd have preferred he'd have waited until the next game when Sundin was there, then it wouldn't have came accross the way it did.

I for one would love to have Alf on the Leafs winging Sundin. I know there's a few Leaf fans don't agree with me on this one, but I wouldn't question his heart in any instance.

BTW, to those blasting Quinn's remarks...He was goaded by the press to respond to the event at the post game conference. He didn't want to mention it, and the first answer was kept short, but it wasn't satisfying enough for the blood hungry media so they kept pressing him about it.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:01 AM
HF2002

Quote:
The originator of this thread is nuts. Goldylocks is a fantastic leader- that is indisputable.

How can you question his leadership, when he almost lead his team to an almost victory over the Leafs in the playoffs for 3 consecutive years!?

When Alfredsson took a superior roster and lost 4 straight games to the Leafs just a few years ago, did he quit? - HELL NO.

When Alfredsson took a superior roster the next year, and lost to the Leafs again, did he quit?- UMM NO!

When Alfredsson took a 3-2 series lead with a superior roster the next year, and blew game 6, did he quit? NO SIR! When Alfredsson went up in game 7 against a team featuring 9 AHLers, and lost that game, did Alfredsson quit? YOU DAMN RIGHT HE DIDN'T!

When Alfredsson faced an opponent missing 6 of it's top players, and being up 6-1, did he give up and put it in 2nd gear? NO WAY, JOSE. He skated right by the bench of the enemy, and showed them his unyielding spirit by defying the silly standards of "sportsmanship".

When Alfredsson drew the ire of Leaf players, did he give into his enemies desires and step a foot on the ice for even one more shift? YOU DAMN SKIPPY HE DIDN'T!

Goldylocks is a true leader, and I'll be damned if I sit here, and let you besmirch his accomplishments!
Wow. I didn't think such literary genius was possible in Leaf land.

Anyway:

Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson

Two Swedish captains for two Ontario based teams.

Stanley Cups: 0

Leaf fans love to brag about how they've beaten the Sens in the playoffs over the past few years. Obviously no one can deny this, but the stark reality is that both teams have won an identical number of Cups in the last 35 years. Of course, the Leafs have had 24 extra tries at it...

But hey, at least one of these guys is earning his salary - he's entertaining us and we're talking about it the next day, and probably still will for the rest of the season. Cry all you want, but this is good for the middle of an otherwise boring stretch of the season.

I can also look at this from the perspective that it won't be too much longer until the Sens take over the division, and the Sens can look to this game as a rallying point. Keep your heads high Leaf fans. Fourth place vs NJ or Philly won't be too bad. At least you'll get 1 round.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:06 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Wow. I didn't think such literary genius was possible in Leaf land.

Anyway:

Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson

Two Swedish captains for two Ontario based teams.

Stanley Cups: 0

Leaf fans love to brag about how they've beaten the Sens in the playoffs over the past few years. Obviously no one can deny this, but the stark reality is that both teams have won an identical number of Cups in the last 35 years. Of course, the Leafs have had 24 extra tries at it...

But hey, at least one of these guys is earning his salary - he's entertaining us and we're talking about it the next day, and probably still will for the rest of the season. Cry all you want, but this is good for the middle of an otherwise boring stretch of the season.

I can also look at this from the perspective that it won't be too much longer until the Sens take over the division, and the Sens can look to this game as a rallying point. Keep your heads high Leaf fans. Fourth place vs NJ or Philly won't be too bad. At least you'll get 1 round.
5th place at best if they lose the division.

Closed Thread