HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alfredsson: Opinions on his character...

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 07:20 AM
think-blue-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
On Mojo, they were just telling us Alfie did the same (mocking) thing in practice before the game yesterday. He threw a broken stick above the mesh and told reporters: "Go tell mats sundin I threw it higher"

So yea, thats...interesting. And while I think the incident(s) were funny, that still doesn't mean they were not unsportsmanlike.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:23 AM
TomWaits

Leaf fan here and I thought it was quite funny. As for Alfredson's character well whatever we will see what happens in the playoffs.

TomWaits

Old
01-09-2004, 07:24 AM
babybruin

after seeing alfredsson pull the mock throwing incident, im starting to thnk alfie's a pretty funny guy makes me think he said that "go ahead and print it, we're gonna win the cup" statement just to get the reporters riled up, while he's chuckling in the background.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Coffey77

I saw the incident on TV and I didn't really think anything of it. just like when I saw the Leafs celebrate after one game (where some posters here really didn't like it).

If it creates a bigger rivalry between the Leafs and Sens, Great. Might make hockey more interesting.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:30 AM
hardcore_fan

up to speed

Just got back from the bush, and all heck is breaking loose here. As I understand it, Alfredsson broke his stick and then went insane, flinging the dangerous, jagged stick into a crowd of Leaf fans like a Viking battle axe. My God, he could have hurt someone very badly. No wonder Leaf fans are calling for his head. What's that? It was Sundin? And Alfie PRETENDED to throw his stick? Well, never mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Well, thank you.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing
From an ethical standpoint, I think the move is being blown out of proportion. It wasn't the be all and end all of classlesness, but none the less, it wasn't right.

My problem with the move falls in line with Van's feelings.

The move was done to rub a particularly embarrassing defeat in the face of the Leafs. A defeat that was partially the result of Sundin getting suspended.

Alfie's move seems to suggest that Alfredson was aware his Sens won this game based on the depleted Leafs lineup and the absense of his captain. Hence, he was making light of the means by which the situation arose. He was harping on the fact they were feasting on a weak team, and sending a message to Sundin, "We're down here, you're up there, and you can't do anything about it."

Should the Sens go on to beat a full-strength Leafs team, with Sundin on the ice, that would be the time to pull a move like that (if you have to at all).

Moreso than ethically, I think the move was particularly bad on a practical scale. Alfie, as the team's captain, was just plain irresponsible.

The Leafs are a powerful team. They are your main rivals. And they are so the team that could be standing between you and the Cup. In a situation like last night where the Sens put the Leafs in an embarrassing position, your main priority should be to grab the two points in clean and quite a fashion as possible and get the hell out of there.

Instead, Alfie planted the seeds that could cause his team's downfall. WHY, in a situation where you have the game wrapped up, would you want to do anything that could possibly fuel the other team's drive for revenge? The only thing Alfie acheived, aside from getting a few cheap laughs from some Leaf haters, was pissing off the Leafs, a team that just happens to be one of the most physically punishing teams in the NHL, and now a team that has extra motivation to knock the Sens on their ***** and out of Cup contention.

Had this been any player, it would have been silly. Because it was the Sens captain, it was down right idiotic.

Just one last thing. I heard a journalist mention in the press room, on MOJO, that Alfie said he regretted the move. If this is true, I think it's fair to chalk this one up to heat of the moment lack of throughtfulness. Nonetheless, as a captain, he should have been smarter than that, and the damage has possibly already been done.

Oh well. See you on the 31st
Interesting insight there.

Whether it proves to act as a motivational factor for the leafs will become more apparent over time. For me this is all mind games and there is more to it than wondering if it'll motivate the leafs next time out.

Do you really think that the Leafs would play less hard if this incident hadn't occured next time? Personally I don't think it will. What it will generate is a large number of column inches and I'm sure 'the coach' will have something to say about it for example.

What it might also do is act as a distraction. What if all these column inches turn into something like 'We better go after alfie' etc etc etc. It might affect the game plan for the next time the teams meet.

What it opens up is a sideshow that the media will love and that the players on both teams have to try and ignore. Alfie will no doubt get his usual treatment next time, but its a fine line to ensure your not sitting in the box (something the leafs seem to have done well this year).

Old
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Skrymir

Just a few random thoughts on the subject:

-why are we talking about this like Alfie commiteted high treason? Pat Quinn, that's why he wanted to get the focus away from how poorly his team played that night, it wasn't just Kidd, the whole team was flat.

-Which shows less class throwing a jagged broken stick 20 rows in to the stands where it could seriously hurt someone, or poking fun at the situation, not sundin... the situation. Their friends, they respect each other, this was not a malicious act on Alfies part.

-Alfie disagreed with the Sundin suspension, and said so before the game

-Alfie apologized first chace he got after the game, saying he realized right after he did it, he'd made a mistake..... Kind of like what Sundin did after the original incident.... I agian ask you to consider which act was worse.

-And talking about class, you don't see Alfie giving opponents facewahes after every second whistle.... sorry that was a little off topic, but just a pet peave I have against Sundin. For the most part he's a straight up guy. Very similar attitude as Alfie.

-Anyway..... wil the two sides please just agree to disagree. This discussion has gone farther that it ever should have.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Zodiac

I thought it was pretty funny. Should help increase the hatred between the two teams too.

It'll be a great game the next time they meet.

Old
01-09-2004, 07:54 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
well put Skrymir...I have absolutely nothing to add to that.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
From what I have seen of both players they are pretty laid back. Competitive, but not hot heads. So I very much doubt there will be any bad blood. I wouldn't be surprised if Alfredsson called up Sundin and explain he didn't mean it in such a bad way as it might have looked.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
On Mojo, they were just telling us Alfie did the same (mocking) thing in practice before the game yesterday. He threw a broken stick above the mesh and told reporters: "Go tell mats sundin I threw it higher"

Old
01-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue

So yea, thats...interesting. And while I think the incident(s) were funny, that still doesn't mean they were not unsportsmanlike.
This incident solidifies in my mind that Alfie was poking fun at the situation. He didn't tell Domi or Tucker or any other Leaf "Go tell Mats Sundin I threw it higher." He told the Toronto media, who are famous for blowing things out of proportion. Like others have said, I believe it was poking fun about the situation and how much media attention it got.

Even if it wasn't, the high drama coming out of Leaf Nation is worth it.

Old
01-09-2004, 09:20 AM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir
Just a few random thoughts on the subject:

-why are we talking about this like Alfie commiteted high treason? Pat Quinn, that's why he wanted to get the focus away from how poorly his team played that night, it wasn't just Kidd, the whole team was flat.

-Which shows less class throwing a jagged broken stick 20 rows in to the stands where it could seriously hurt someone, or poking fun at the situation, not sundin... the situation. Their friends, they respect each other, this was not a malicious act on Alfies part.

-Alfie disagreed with the Sundin suspension, and said so before the game

-Alfie apologized first chace he got after the game, saying he realized right after he did it, he'd made a mistake..... Kind of like what Sundin did after the original incident.... I agian ask you to consider which act was worse.

-And talking about class, you don't see Alfie giving opponents facewahes after every second whistle.... sorry that was a little off topic, but just a pet peave I have against Sundin. For the most part he's a straight up guy. Very similar attitude as Alfie.

-Anyway..... wil the two sides please just agree to disagree. This discussion has gone farther that it ever should have.
I agree with this... it's being blown out of proportion a little. Alfie sounded sincere in his regret...

Old
01-09-2004, 09:27 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
If it had been the other way 'round, and Alfredsson had tossed the stick and Sundin mocked him, Sens fans would probably be in outrage and Leafs fans would be calling them oversensitive. Not all, but you get the idea. Here's an article discussing the incident. Not a bad read, and sheds a little non-bias amid this Sens-Leafs bashing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...09_121419_2880

Old
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Why do you bother.. You really think anyone here is going agree? What I do is sit back and count the double standards and NOT start any threads looking for support of the Maple Leafs. I know it wasn't in good sport, you know it wasn't in good sport, everyone knows it wasn't in good sport, but it was against the Leafs so that means its ok.

I think you can add this post of yours to your count....

You thought ole McFly posted that thread-starter "looking for support of the Maple Leafs"?? Interesting spin: **A Leaf fan attacking the integrity of the captain of his rival team after a blowout loss is his way of "looking for support of the Maple Leafs"**. Freud would have a field day with that one...

To most folks (non-Leafers) it looked like an all-out; albeit pathetic & hypocritical; assault on Mr Alfredsson's character in general. Even McFly claimed that it had nothing to do with last night's game -->McFly: "I could've posted this last yearĒ. Yet you respond with: "I know it (Alffy's mockery) wasn't in good sport, you know it wasn't in good sport, everyone knows it wasn't in good sport, but it was against the Leafs so that means its ok." You must be calling McFly a liar. You seem to be claiming that this was all about last night's game! You seem to be claiming that McFly's true motivation was to find sympathy for for his freshly-thrashed Leaves.... that McFly was merely feeling sorry his for Leaf-loving self and looking for support.

.... So poor ole McFly comes here "looking for support" and you berate him and basically say he's in denial?

Why can't we all just get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I know it wasn't in good sport, you know it wasn't in good sport, everyone knows it wasn't in good sport, but it was against the Leafs so that means its ok.
Did I mention Freud?

Old
01-09-2004, 10:00 AM
All-Star

At least they haven't started hiding cell phones behind the net to call home when they score or doing stupid dances...

These teams are rivals they are supposed to hate each other. What Alfredson did was perfectly acceptable. Now it's up to the Leafs to return the favour during the next game.

There isn't enough hate in hockey anymore. I miss the Canadiens/Nordiques blood feuds.

Last edited by All-Star: 01-09-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 10:11 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Wow, for an ugly guy, Alfredsson really does put himself in the spotlight.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:36 AM
ArtVandelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Wow, for an ugly guy, Alfredsson really does put himself in the spotlight.
Well, he's a leader of men. Like Moses. You think Moses was a looker? Yet we talk about him to this day. And, like Moses, Goldylocks is destined to lead his men to the holy grail...eventually. The year 6004 will be a damn good year to be a Sens fan.

I hope some day the Sens fans will be able to shed their inferiority complex towards the big smoke, and we can all unite and focus the hate where it belongs- Quebec.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:45 AM
TelperiŽn

As I Sens fan, I really don't want to hear Don Cherry on Saturday. *winces just thinking about it*

Ahhh, I like Alfie! It just makes me like him even more (kinda reminds me of Ilya Kovalchuk in fact - the naughtier they are...).

Old
01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
OldTimeHockey

The timing may have been bad and a tad classless, but other than that it was worth a chuckle.

There are certain things you don't do in this league. One of them is make fun of other players. This is why you don't see players showboating after winning a fight.

Years ago, when Domi played for the RAngers, he did the whole"WWF Champion" routine after winning a fight. Mark Messier told him that it was classless.

And for those that say hockey players are boring and this livens them up, come on, in a 7-1 game, mocking anyone is classless.

But for some reason, I still found it worth a laugh. :p

Old
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Mizral

Alfredsson in my mind really has a lot of character, and is one of the better captains in the NHL. Last year the guy defferred part of his salary to the team in order to help them trade for some players, which showed a great deal of 'win first, ask questions later' sort of attitude that makes champions.

He is hardly soft for being a skilled winger, and has been known to bang bodies and stick up for his teammates in scrums. He has a lot of courage.

The stick-fake thing with the broken twig was more funny than anything, and I think Leaf fans need to just learn to laugh at themselves a bit. Don't take it all so seriously. I'm sure Alfredsson and Sundin get along well off-ice at tournaments, and I suspect Alfredsson was more taking a jab at how silly the suspension was, rather than mocking Sundin.

Old
01-09-2004, 11:21 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Here we go...from sportsnet...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...09_121419_2880

Go take your watermelon somewhere else Gallagher. And move over Carrot Top, because your days of doing 1-800-CALL-ATT ads might be numbered. That's because we have new prop comic on the scene -- Daniel Alfredsson.

Overshadowing the Senators 7-1 defeat of the Maple Leafs on Thursday evening was Alfredsson's lampooning of Mats Sundin's stick-throwing incident.

Judging by the responses in the fan forum on this website, it's pretty obvious that most Maple Leafs fans are very upset with Alfredsson's antics. Classless and tasteless were the two adjectives used most frequently to describe the incident.

While you can argue whether or not this was in good taste, please do not try to tell me you didn't find a little humor in this story.

Before we go any further, there is one thing you should know about Alfredsson. The guy has a tremendous sense of humour.

He's told me on several occasions that I should see the movie 'Old School' - the one starring Luke Wilson and Will Ferrell - because he thought it was hilarious. Just three days ago my wife and I ended up watching the movie and indeed lived up to Alfredsson's advance billing.

And when Jerry Seinfeld came to Ottawa for his new stand-up act last January, guess who was sitting right up near the front? None other than the Ottawa captain, who just happens to be a big fan of Seinfeld. Yes, Alfredsson knows funny. And in this particular instance, in order to bring a little humour to a dull 7-1 hockey game, well quite frankly, Alfredsson delivered.

Are we not the ones who complain the players sometimes act like robots, showing little or no emotion? Don't we complain that the games are as equally dull and boring as the personalities playing them? Especially those games involving the Senators, who have developed the reputation of having such boring personalities that even a boomerang wouldn't return to them.

So what happens when Daniel Alfredsson steps outside the lines of the norm and tries to be funny?

He gets criticized for it.

He was simply trying to have fun with Sundin, who happens to be a very good friend of his. It's not like he was making fun of Darcy Tucker. If he wanted to do that, he could have pretended he was spat on and made a fake charge to the Toronto bench.

And perhaps my eyes deceived me when watching that game on Thursday night. Weren't there Maple Leafs fans sitting in the ACC stands with signs like 'Throw Your Stick Here' with a bulls-eye on it?

Obviously, this wasn't too sensitive a situation for you to deal with, that is until Alfredsson pulled his little stunt. It was acceptable for Leaf Nation to find it funny, until the Ottawa captain decided to make a little joke about it.

Then, in your estimation, the joke went too far.

I'm sure at office buildings all across Ontario this morning, Leafs fans and Senators fans are getting into the same argument and laying out the following scenario:

Imagine if Alfredsson was suspended for throwing a stick into the stands and then Sundin came to Corel Centre and pretended to throw a stick at the fans, when the Leafs were blowing out the Senators. I'm sure Ottawa fans wouldn't be laughing if that happened. They would be the ones calling Sundin classless and tasteless.

But you know what? It still would have been funny - and that's my only point.

And sometimes, when watching this dull and watered-down version of the NHL, we could all use a laugh.

Old
01-09-2004, 11:22 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
People should keep in mind that Sundin and Alfredsson are good buddies off the ice.

Old
01-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Newfie Chick

If the Sens were getting their butts handed to them on a platter when this happened, would the Leafs fans still be crying into their jerseys over it?

Just a thought............

Old
01-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Alfredsson's stick throwing incident was hilarious. In only intensifies the rivalry. "Ohh woe is me, he made a harmless joke about a Leafs player." Gimme a break. You don't think Tucker or Domi are capable of doing the exact same thing or worse if it had happened to a Sen? Don't be mad just because your team gave up 5 goals in the first and got embarrassed.

Closed Thread