HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part II

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
raleh

vCash: 500
Man! I wanna pick so badly! I have to go give a quick tour of the museum. Apparently I don't get paid to sit at the front desk and do a fantasy draft. Be back in 30 minutes, hopefully we'll be up by then!

Old
09-24-2007, 06:17 PM
God Bless Canada

pappy's on-line as we speak. Hopefully he has a pick coming soon.

Old
09-24-2007, 06:22 PM
pappyline

Trade:

From Pappy line-5th,23rd,24th
From Van Islander-6th, 15th, 16th

Vanislander to confirm & select

Old
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Trade:

From Pappy line-5th,23rd,24th
From Van Islander-6th, 15th, 16th

Vanislander to confirm & select
confirmed...

there's a guy who may be the third BPA at centre ice but he's number one when it comes to the Raiders style of play

Old
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Keon falls as there are more teams because he doesn't stand out as a 1st line guy. It's hard to take him earlier. In a smaller draft I would as he's one of my 1st choices for a 2nd line center. When you look at the 1st line caliber players that fall, see Jackson, Cournoyer and Abel that is astonishing. There are a lot of dynamo forwards available latter. But the defense well dries up quick.

Well... I wouldn't use Keon as a 1st line center.... And wouldn't have drafted him if I already hadn't Richard pegged in role.

Old
09-24-2007, 06:29 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Doug Gilmour

Old
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Doug Gilmour

There's a guy who could play on my second line any day.

Old
09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
pitseleh

Can't go wrong with a guy whose nickname is Killer.

Old
09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
EagleBelfour

I wanna move up, I have pick 132.

Old
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
*cottonking blinks really hard, hits himself*

If I would have seen Stastny's name on the board (or is it off the board?), I could have done something useful with the last 20 minutes.

With the 122nd pick in the all-time draft, the Dallas Black Hawks are proud to select a former Chicoutimi Saguneneens, Nova Scotia Voyageurs, Montreal Canadiens and Dallas Stars great ... from Sept-Iles, Quebec

Guy Carbonneau

Old
09-24-2007, 07:04 PM
raleh

Halifax is extremely excited about our next selection. There are a number of guys that GBC and I looked at, but we couldn't justify not selecting a guy that we feel is an absolute steal at this point. He won an ATD championship last year with the Clippers, and has great chemistry with our first line centre.

Halifax RCAF is pleased to announce the selection of Doug Bentley. Doug will man the LW of our top line alongside brother Max and the rugged Cam Neely.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Halifax is extremely excited about our next selection. There are a number of guys that GBC and I looked at, but we couldn't justify not selecting a guy that we feel is an absolute steal at this point. He won an ATD championship last year with the Clippers, and has great chemistry with our first line centre.

Halifax RCAF is pleased to announce the selection of Doug Bentley. Doug will man the LW of our top line alongside brother Max and the rugged Cam Neely.
Fate has been good to you. An obvious choice.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
pitseleh

I figured you guys had your eyes on Bentley. Reuniting him with his brother is astute, especially with Neely there to clear space for them.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
pappyline

Quote:

Thought you would pick him. I was considering him at #121 if I hadn't traded down. Interesting RW you have on that line. Should score lots with Max & doug feeding him.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Guy Carbonneau
Ideal fourth liner on an all-time team and great third liner if sufficient scoring elsewhere, and certainly could play second line minutes if the team get s up a goal and seeks to protect the lead.

Carbo would be a poor pick in the Jim Robson because elite centres aren't as apparent. But the best defensive centre in the history of the game will have some effect in the Don Cherry division on the productivity of Lemieux, Beliveau, Esposito, Clarke at those times when the team's other centre to date, Trottier, isn't going toe to toe with those opposition greats. And with Kurri in the stable, the penalty kill should help counter some awesome powerplays.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Hockey Outsider

Thoughts on the recent picks:

- I disagree that Nels Stewart is "limited and somewhat one-dimensional". I actually think he's one of the most well-rounded centres available. He was good enough to take over as his team's #1 defensemen during the 1926 playoffs when injuries decimated the Maroons. Incredibly, he won the Conn Smythe* as a blueliner. Stewart was strong and tough (though not very aggressive), sort of like Jean Beliveau. He was extremely consistent and durable for his era. The one complaint is that Stewart wasn't much of a playmaker. In fact, Seventieslord might be better off moving him to LW or getting a strong playmaking winger.

- Abel is great value at this point. Tough, aggressive, and a great playmaker. He's good enough to be a #1 centre but Mahovlich/Abel might give ES the best 1-2 punch at LW in the draft.

- Jackson is a good pick at this point, but two things prevent him from going even higher. One, his playoff resume is pretty spotty. He drops from 0.75 ppg in the regular season to 0.42 ppg in the playoffs. (In fairness to him, though, he did tie for 1st in PO scoring in 1935). Also, given the fact that he's a 5-time all-star, his Hart record is pretty weak. In fact, the only time he was a candidate was in 1937, when he had a distant 5th place finish. (Also note that one year where Jackson beat Joliat for the 1st-team all-star position, Joliat won the Hart and Jackson wasn't even nominated). I think he got a lot of LW votes because, aside from Joliat, there was relatively weak competition.

- The Bentleys are tiny and non-physical, but Neely will give them room to play.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
MXD

Quote:

Very interesting... Coming from a guy who reunited the Richard brothers. First round matchup between the Richard and the Bentley's, perhaps?...
Nahhh...we won't be playing each other 1st round.

Last edited by MXD: 09-24-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old
09-24-2007, 07:13 PM
pitseleh

I have a trade to announce:

To Nanaimo: 150, 187 and 243
To Regina: 126, 228 and 277

seventieslord to confirm.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Thoughts on the recent picks:

- I disagree that Nels Stewart is "limited and somewhat one-dimensional". I actually think he's one of the most well-rounded centres available. He was good enough to take over as his team's #1 defensemen during the 1926 playoffs when injuries decimated the Maroons. Incredibly, he won the Conn Smythe* as a blueliner. Stewart was strong and tough (though not very aggressive), sort of like Jean Beliveau. He was extremely consistent and durable for his era. The one complaint is that Stewart wasn't much of a playmaker. In fact, Seventieslord might be better off moving him to LW or getting a strong playmaking winger.
Ultimate Hockey has Stewart rated as the worst defensive forward and worst skater of his era. He could have been a presence playing on the blue-line because of his agressiveness and strength, but I wouldnt call him one of the most well-rounded centers.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
The best defensive centre in the history of the game will have some effect in the Don Cherry division on the productivity of Lemieux, Beliveau, Esposito, Clarke at those times when the team's other centre to date, Trottier, isn't going toe to toe with those opposition greats.
My thoughts exactly. Bentley and two other guys looked really interesting, but none of those three do much against Le Gros Bill or The Golden Jet.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Ultimate Hockey has Stewart rated as the worst defensive forward and worst skater of his era.
I have heard about his poor skating before. All that means is a reduced transition game, still effective when puck pinned into the offensive zone.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I have a trade to announce:

To Nanaimo: 150, 187 and 243
To Regina: 126, 228 and 277

seventieslord to confirm.
Confirmed.

Old
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
...against... The Golden Jet.
I assume Kurri will be matched up against him when you've got home ice advantage and with line changes on the fly.

Old
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
I have heard about his poor skating before. All that means is a reduced transition game, still effective when puck pinned into the offensive zone.
It also means back-checking is out of the question.

Old
pitseleh

Quote:
He would have been perfect for Orr to bounce passes in off of.

Closed Thread