HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf

Old
09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Dion Phaneuf

I do not want to start anything, but I was just thinking. With Malik almost certainly gone after this season and Rozsival ready to command a multi-million dollar contract on the UFA market, there will be 2 holes to fill, both on defense and on the salary cap.

I believe that with the departures of Malik and Rozsival, and the impending retirements of Shanahan and Straka, the Rangers should go after someone in the FA market. Now, I am aware that Phaneuf is an RFA, but with the situation in Calgary with them having to resign Kipper on top of Iginla's extension, it's going to be very tough to keep Phaneuf. Enter the New York Rangers......they throw a huge offer sheet at Phaneuf with the newfound cap money, and the Rangers have a franchise defenseman that can quarterback the powerplay, make the defensive play, and throw gamebreaking hits.

What would you guys think?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
RyutinTyutin

I have a completely irrational mancrush on Phaneuf, but no player is worth 4 first round picks, and that's going to be Dion's cost.

I'd rather re-sign Rozsival and use the $$ to lock up Hank, Avery and Toots.

RyutinTyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Edge

Can't see it getting to that point, but if it did you'd have a lot of teams with a lot more cap room gunning for him first.

Don't think for a moment Buffalo wouldn't take a shot at him, several other teams as well.

Now hypothetically speaking, would I? Maybe, depending on how some guys develop and who leaves/retires.

I just can't see Calgary not signing him to a long term contract and Dion looking to leave for that matter.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
No player short of Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin is worth the four first round picks. Additionally, I don't think we're going to have the cap space to sign Phaneuf to a massive offer sheet while at the same time retaining our own younger players (Prucha, Tyutin, etc..).

I'd love to have Phaneuf, but I don't see us bringing in another big name player until Jagr and Straka are done.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

All things being equal, I'd go after Phaneuf over Hossa/Heatley. But Phan is RFA and H/H are UFA. Since there would be no need to pay compensation for H/H, they would be preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I do not want to start anything, but I was just thinking. With Malik almost certainly gone after this season and Rozsival ready to command a multi-million dollar contract on the UFA market, there will be 2 holes to fill, both on defense and on the salary cap.

I believe that with the departures of Malik and Rozsival, and the impending retirements of Shanahan and Straka, the Rangers should go after someone in the FA market. Now, I am aware that Phaneuf is an RFA, but with the situation in Calgary with them having to resign Kipper on top of Iginla's extension, it's going to be very tough to keep Phaneuf. Enter the New York Rangers......they throw a huge offer sheet at Phaneuf with the newfound cap money, and the Rangers have a franchise defenseman that can quarterback the powerplay, make the defensive play, and throw gamebreaking hits.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont believe in RFA's. period.

with that said, if phaneuf was an UFA, id give...Sathers left nut to have him on this team. ive got a serious man crush on him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Agreed, not worth the RFA compensation of trying to get him. Might some other team? Probably, but I hope it's not us. I'd rather stick with the four 1st rounders and try to get a great player that way, or at least via UFA or trade.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Agreed, not worth the RFA compensation of trying to get him. Might some other team? Probably, but I hope it's not us. I'd rather stick with the four 1st rounders and try to get a great player that way, or at least via UFA or trade.
yep. ask yourself this. would you pay Montoya, Staal, Cherepanov, and Sanguinetti for Phaneuf?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
and the Rangers have a franchise defenseman that can make the defensive play, and throw gamebreaking hits.

I think we already drafted Staal, so, thanks anyways.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
yep. ask yourself this. would you pay Montoya, Staal, Cherepanov, and Sanguinetti for Phaneuf?
ask me again in 3 years.

but probably not.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
clemsonRanger

well

if i believe dion was the next pronger i would give away four first rounders( should be late ones because of our team)

the question is, is dion the next pronger?

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
hawks35

okay so this thread made me think of someone else. Now, I know as of right now we couldnt afford him but lets just play "what if" on this. I would think someone that would be perect for us would be Rob Blake. I say this because, he is still very good defensively and could chip in 30 or so pts for us. He's an older player and is looking for a team which is geared towards winning now, which we are. He's on LAK which has an abundance of young Dman and doesnt seem to fit in their plans. The kings are a rebuilding team of sorts and with Blakes age he should be on a contender. Again, im not lookin to much into this as I didnt crunch the numbers and all that but I think hed be perfect for us. With all the D on the kings and all the young players he doesnt seem to fit in there scheme if you will. So, what do you guys think about tryin to land him if we could? Again, I didnt work out the numbers or anything like that this is just a hypothetical. But, if we could give the kings a D (which we have an abundance of) and maybe a draft pick or something I would do it in a heartbeat. What do you guys think?

cheers.

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCherryPickers View Post
okay so this thread made me think of someone else. Now, I know as of right now we couldnt afford him but lets just play "what if" on this. I would think someone that would be perect for us would be Rob Blake. I say this because, he is still very good defensively and could chip in 30 or so pts for us. He's an older player and is looking for a team which is geared towards winning now, which we are. He's on LAK which has an abundance of young Dman and doesnt seem to fit in their plans. The kings are a rebuilding team of sorts and with Blakes age he should be on a contender. Again, im not lookin to much into this as I didnt crunch the numbers and all that but I think hed be perfect for us. With all the D on the kings and all the young players he doesnt seem to fit in there scheme if you will. So, what do you guys think about tryin to land him if we could? Again, I didnt work out the numbers or anything like that this is just a hypothetical. But, if we could give the kings a D (which we have an abundance of) and maybe a draft pick or something I would do it in a heartbeat. What do you guys think?

cheers.
I think he costs $6m this year. Next.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:16 AM
FLYLine24*

Ill disagree with some of you...Dion Phaneuf IS worth 4 1st round draft picks. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He going to be a top 3 defenseman in the league for years and years to come.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
danroy33

If Sanguinetti is ready next year then we can't really fit him. With Tyutin, Girardi, and Staal all around next year, you have to assume the Rangers will either re-sign Malik or Rosival or at least pursue some UFA veteran defensemen to continue and lead the rookies. Is Phaneuf ready to lead a defensive corps? I am not sure.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCherryPickers View Post
Now, I know as of right now we couldnt afford him but lets just play "what if" on this. I would think someone that would be perect for us would be Rob Blake.
Weren't we rumored to be in the hunt for him at the trade deadline?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:44 AM
danroy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Weren't we rumored to be in the hunt for him at the trade deadline?
Could we free up that cap space?

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 02:49 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
If Sanguinetti is ready next year then we can't really fit him. With Tyutin, Girardi, and Staal all around next year, you have to assume the Rangers will either re-sign Malik or Rosival or at least pursue some UFA veteran defensemen to continue and lead the rookies. Is Phaneuf ready to lead a defensive corps? I am not sure.
Sauer before Sanger.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 06:26 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
you know it wasn't very long ago that people were making the same exact posts but using the names malhotra, lundmark, brendl and blackburn to justify why the compensation is too much...

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ill disagree with some of you...Dion Phaneuf IS worth 4 1st round draft picks. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He going to be a top 3 defenseman in the league for years and years to come.
+1

Though, is there any reason to expect Calgary not to match?

Its exactly like a team giving Lundqvist a contract offer. It would have to be completly insane for us not to match, like 20 years time 8m or something. Though we would defenitly match a 6 year 8 millon offer. It would really suck but you don't let one of the potentially top 5 franchise player go for 4 first round picks.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
In The Flesh

our D is deeper than most teams. Dion Phaneuf is not with 4 1st round picks, that would mean Calgary would have 8 1st round picks in 2 years, no way. We don't need him, Calgary aint giving him up anyway. Just because this is New York doesn't mean we need every hot shot player.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Hankenstein

I could care less how many picks Calgary has in the coming years.

Phaneuf is one of the 3, maybe 4 guys in the league I'd give up that many draft picks for.

If it's possible, which it's not, you do it.

Hankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Phaneuf is one of my favorite players in the league outside of the NY Rangers. He is a superstar in the making and IMO is already a top 5 defender in the league. Personally I think he is worth 4 first rounders...but not for the Rangers. Here's why...

Already the club has three very solid defensive prospects in the system, in Marc Staal, Michael Sauer, and Bobby Sanguinetti. Bringing in Phaneuf would certainly add to that, but the team will be so cash strapped in a short period of time, that the up and coming prospects in the system that will command more money might not be able to be re-signed. Let's not forget Henrik is certainly going to get a big payday after this season. If he commands anywhere between 5 and 7 million, that ties up 21 million or so in three players when you factor in Drury and Gomez. Plus, who's to say that Jags doesn't have another year left in him? The reality of it is this team just doesn't have that kind of cap space to make a move like that, and also they have depth in that position that might be NHL ready by this time next season. If this team is to toss out an offer sheet, IMO they need to wait untill it's Crosby's turn.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Perhaps this should be a different question:

If Calgary's convinced that Phaneuf is going to get an offer that they don't want to match, what would you offer to get him in a sign and trade...?

Would Montoya, Sauer and Cherepanov get it done? And would you pay that price?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Perhaps this should be a different question:

If Calgary's convinced that Phaneuf is going to get an offer that they don't want to match, what would you offer to get him in a sign and trade...?

Would Montoya, Sauer and Cherepanov get it done? And would you pay that price?
For that price, absolutely.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote