HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie...

Old
09-26-2007, 03:42 AM
decadentia

vCash: 500
I missed this hit, is there by any slim chance a youtube video of it?

I love McAmond, this is a darned shame it happened. Also always liked what ive heard about Downie...gotta checkout that clip for sure

Edit: Just saw this clip...I don't know...Its quite questionable to me. It almost looked like he went into the hit and almost lost control of the hit? If that makes any sense, momentum or something. Still...did look like he left his feet. But I would tend to agree that if it had've been almost any other player, with his head up...the check wouldn't have injured, and thus would be looked upon in a totally different light. Who knows though

Any news on McAmond? Concussed I assume

Last edited by decadentia: 09-26-2007 at 04:01 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

what a *****

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I don't understand all the negativity (especially from Flyers fans). This hit was awesome. Notice I didn't say the injury was. I've seen several hits very similar to this where the recipient doesn't get hurt, and play goes on. The hit in and of itself was a little late, and he did ever so barely leave his feet. People are acting like he threw a blatant elbow at McAmmond's head while going full speed. Come on now. He lined him up and finished a big hit, and unfortunately McAmmond was injured. Lets not make this out to be more than it is. The problem is it has received so much attention that Downie will likely get a suspension far longer than what he deserves here. That being said, I like the kid, and I love his intensity, and I hope this doesn't hurt his chances of making the squad. He's the type of guy you should love to have on your team.
I hope he makes the team. So he can get killed the next time the Flyers meet the Sens. Did you notice how some other flyer player was trying to hit McGrattan in the back of the head and even kick him while he was working on Downie? What a load of *******.

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:32 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse View Post
I hope he makes the team. So he can get killed the next time the Flyers meet the Sens.
Exactly. And that's an interesting point which I don't think has been touched on yet. Downie is the type of guy that you love when he's on your team, and absolutely despise when he plays against you. The fact of the matter is guys like that are great for the league. A good example is Neil and/or Hollweg. I'm not a Sens or Rags fan so I hate both of those guys, but I appreciate what they bring to the table, and realize they make games far more exciting, and because of that I wish there were more of those types of players in the league.

Quote:
Did you notice how some other flyer player was trying to hit McGrattan in the back of the head and even kick him while he was working on Downie? What a load of *******.
That was Boulerice, and his job is to protect his teammates, just like McGrattan's. I understand McGrattan attacked Downie for the hit (just as he should have), but Boulerice went after McGrattan because he was wailing on Downie. Each guy performed their role as one would expect in that situation. I didn't have any problem with it. To be honest (and this is assuming McAmmond didn't get hurt) I didn't have a problem with any of it. Again, I hope McAmmond's ok and can resume playing, but that being said what we had was an entertaining series of events which will lead to a heated rivalry, which quite frankly the league could use more of.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 05:04 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
steve downie is a terrible person and a serious threat to the health of every other player on the ice. he does **** like this ALL THE TIME, even to his own teammates (cross-checking his teammate Aliu in the face and knocking out his teeth cause Akim wouldn't stand naked in the team bus bathroom with the other rookies) - he has absolutely no self control or respect for other players. McAmmond has a history of concussions, this could be a very serious injury for him (in PRESEASON play), and Downie was apparently giggling to himself as he left the ice. If this guy makes it to the NHL he is going to end the careers of alot of good guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
A mistake that many eye-witness reports say he was giggling about on his way to the dressing room that is.
Take it for what it's worth, but I have been teaching for 19 years and I can tell you that many, many "kids" have what can be called a "nervous giggle." Case in point, several of my students who were giggling on September 11, 2001. Reports here said that he was shown footage of the hit and looked "remorseful," he could very easily have been "giggling" in a "holy ****, what did I do?" type of way, rather than a "ha-ha, boy did I show them" sort of way.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 05:54 AM
sickamore

Quote:
I hope he makes the team. So he can get killed the next time the Flyers meet the Sens. Did you notice how some other flyer player was trying to hit McGrattan in the back of the head and even kick him while he was working on Downie? What a load of *******.
Will Neil show him how to turtle? Will Alfredsson show him how to shoot a puck at a guy after the period is over(the period of the game, not Alfie's period)

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Raffl House

I have always been a fan of physical play in the sports, especially hockey, because its part of the game. I never wanted to believe that Steve Downie was a headhunter type and would go out of his way to injure a guy like that, but that was an unnecessarily serious, serious hit. I'm a Flyer fan all the way, have always been and always will be, but I don't think I can ever support a player like Downie in the Orange and Black.

I'm a little guy, and I play soccer, so the physical play isn't anything close to what is in hockey. But it pains me (both literally and figuratively) when players go out of their way to clearly do nothing but injure you or teammates. Downie's hit was precisely that, it was like a diving elbow to someone's head -- if thats called "finishing" a check then we have some serious issues in hockey.

What some of you don't realize, these are human beings. They are athletes, and they train hard, but their skulls aren't triple strengthened over your head or my head. They have families, kids to feed, wives to take care of, and jobs to do. If people tried to leap off the ground and give me diving elbows while I was doing my job, I'd probably look for a new place of employment, or get that person fired.

I think the people who condone that sort of action, no less in a preseason game, should be put away for a long time -- you are the type of person who will go off to do more serious, violent things and be OKAY with it. I have kind of kept a blind eye with these hits, and to that I say, no more. Downie is a punk, a criminal, and should be suspended for a long, long time. Now, all he has done, is put other players at risk on our team in the future, and probably his own health as well. You will all be sadly, sadly mistaken when it's someone like Gags or Briere bleeding on the ice, because thats exactly what Downie has brought on. It's nothing to be proud of, at all.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 06:34 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Wait what?!?!

You're *****ing about someone trying to get McGratten off of Downie as Downie was already in a fight... Yeah.... Third man in? Oh that doesn't apply to your team...

Yes 'we was' trying to get McGratten off Downie since he was already in a fight with another Sen.

Did you notice McGratten beating up someone already in a fight and is smaller then him, WHAT A LOAD OF ********! **** up please and get back to sucking off McAlmondJoy or whatever the guys name is Downie destroyed.

Yeah, 'ohhh my godz0rs, sens player concussed! NOOOO! ROOOAARRR! Somebody, stop the presses! We cant have concussions in a physical sport!'... Honestly, you guys are acting as if Downie went into the locker room and came out with an AK-47 and shot this guy behind the net from the grassy knoll.

I didn't give a **** when Umberger was destroyed. I didn't give a **** when Lindros got destroyed. I don't care when Armstrong does exactly what Downie. I didn't care when Chelios elbowed the living HELL out of our player in the boards. I don't give a ****. So take Briere out, take Gagne out, take em all out. Whatever, makes the game more exciting.

Last edited by CavemanLawyer: 09-26-2007 at 06:44 AM.
CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 06:48 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

It looked like a clean hit to me. McCammond needs to be more aware especially in preseason when guys are trying to make a name. It is funny though how fans, and the gm think its dirty but at the same time are the ones who stuck up for chris neil's head hit on drury. It looked legal to me, if it looks like he left his feet it was to not injure mac any more by driving him through the boards! Atleast he expressed remorse after the game too.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
francklem

this guy is going to have a short career with that kind of hit .

francklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's the article about the NHL and concussions that was
published last Sunday:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/nhl-p...88-league-head

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:12 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Rofl, have you never heard of the 3rd man in penalty?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by das phantom geist View Post
It looked like a clean hit to me. McCammond needs to be more aware especially in preseason when guys are trying to make a name. It is funny though how fans, and the gm think its dirty but at the same time are the ones who stuck up for chris neil's head hit on drury. It looked legal to me, if it looks like he left his feet it was to not injure mac any more by driving him through the boards! Atleast he expressed remorse after the game too.
HE LEFT HIS FEET. That makes it an illegal hit.

If Downie can get his emotions under control he's going to have a great career on the Flyers. He's exactly the sort of player you want to have on the third or fourth line -- an agitator, a real energy guy, a leader with tons of grit. If he can't keep himself in check, he's going to spend a lot of time suspended by the league.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Wizz

Send a message via Yahoo to Wizz
http://youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:51 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
HE LEFT HIS FEET. That makes it an illegal hit.

If Downie can get his emotions under control he's going to have a great career on the Flyers. He's exactly the sort of player you want to have on the third or fourth line -- an agitator, a real energy guy, a leader with tons of grit. If he can't keep himself in check, he's going to spend a lot of time suspended by the league.
Blah Blah Blah, so much complaining. I hate this "He left his feet" arguement, because it has become the new breed way of throwing big hits. There's only so many Scott Stevens' that roll around with the ability to throw 'em clean and hard.

I still maintain that what goes around comes around - Downie will have his day, no doubt. These things have a way of evening out on the ice - and as a side note, if there was no fighting allowed in the league these type of situations would explode - This is what the game is all about.

I'm an Ottawa fan - unfortunate for Dean, yes....however - he did watch his pass a little too long and until the league starts punishing the actual offense of high hits instead of the result (ie - a player gets injured) then we might as well all settle down, because this sort of hit/event is only going to increase in frequency as the newer generation comes into the NHL.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:55 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Dean McAmmond has had a history of admiring his own passes/shots. When he was knocked out by Pronger he was admiring his own shot and when he got tagged by Downie he was doing the same except it was a pass.

Deano, take from all of us Flyers fans who watched Lindros: KEEP YOUR HEAD UP or get knocked out.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Rofl, have you never heard of the 3rd man in penalty?

after "ROFL'ing" did you feel better? I would say that the 3rd man in penalty probably doesn't apply here and most knowledgeable hockey fans would tend to agree - there are times/places where this type of penalty is waived due to extreme circumstances.

Old
09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Dean McAmmond has had a history of admiring his own passes/shots. When he was knocked out by Pronger he was admiring his own shot and when he got tagged by Downie he was doing the same except it was a pass.

Deano, take from all of us Flyers fans who watched Lindros: KEEP YOUR HEAD UP or get knocked out.
That's one heck of a weak comparison - I mean, i'm fairly neutral on this situation but those two events are not even comparable, not even close.

Also since you're such a historian, 2 events does not create a history - especially when event #1 was nowhere close to being an "admiration" of pass or shot.

Old
09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
chthonic

mcgratton vows revenge
That’s a dirty hit. He’s known as a dirty player. He’ll get what’s coming to him the next time we play them, for sure.
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...d-fb4b6986f9ed

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
That's one heck of a weak comparison - I mean, i'm fairly neutral on this situation but those two events are not even comparable, not even close.

Also since you're such a historian, 2 events does not create a history - especially when event #1 was nowhere close to being an "admiration" of pass or shot.

How many events does it take? To me more then 1 is a pattern, especially since it's the second time in 3 months

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
after "ROFL'ing" did you feel better? I would say that the 3rd man in penalty probably doesn't apply here and most knowledgeable hockey fans would tend to agree - there are times/places where this type of penalty is waived due to extreme circumstances.
Yes but we're talking about an enforcer being 3rd man in here. I would expect whichever Sen is nearest to Downie to go for him, and maybe even another who is close, but McGrattan should have known that his job is to deal with the other Flyers, and especially as Boulerice was on the ice. It just doesn't look good for someone like him to be 3rd/4th man in.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
How many events does it take? To me more then 1 is a pattern, especially since it's the second time in 3 months
I thinks you should review the last situation. He actually WAS getting around Pronger - until he extended his elbow...if you're going to be a player who is watching for that sort of thing all the time you won't be very effective.

As for your "pattern" - I disagree on that - but whatever, it's hardly a relevant part of the discussions.

Old
09-26-2007, 08:13 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
mcgratton vows revenge
That’s a dirty hit. He’s known as a dirty player. He’ll get what’s coming to him the next time we play them, for sure.
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...d-fb4b6986f9ed
McGrattan can go **** himself. "...we're not out there to kill each other.." "...he'll get what's coming to him..." He needs to make his mind up.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:15 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0flyers View Post
Yes but we're talking about an enforcer being 3rd man in here. I would expect whichever Sen is nearest to Downie to go for him, and maybe even another who is close, but McGrattan should have known that his job is to deal with the other Flyers, and especially as Boulerice was on the ice. It just doesn't look good for someone like him to be 3rd/4th man in.
Probably not - but (for example only) if one of your friends, family etc was injured by someone in a similar nature of attack, you're hardly going to wait around for something to happen. You know who you want to take care of and get revenge on. Boulerice was on the ice and very well could have tangled with McGrattan, but due to the circumstances, what does that settle for McGrattan?

Me personally, I'd be the 2/3/4/5th man in laying it down on whoever it was (again, using example above) and worrying about the others after the message was sent/frustration was taken out on someone relevant to the problem.

Old
09-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
What did y ou expect Flyers players to do?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote