HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington first PP unit

Old
09-27-2007, 01:13 AM
braino

vCash: 500
Washington first PP unit

This unit looks deadly in my opinion. It looks as though Clark will be the guy in front of the net, Ovechkin on left hash, Nylander right hash with Semin and Poti on the points. What a powerplay!

braino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 06:59 AM
dbui72

Have not seen them play yet. Have they been controlling the puck?

What does the second PP look like?

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I thought it was Ovechkin, Nylander, Clark, Poti and Kozlov on the first with Semin, Backstrom, Fleischmann, Pothier and Green/Eminger/Jurcina on the second.

I'm pretty sure Hanlons's intention was to spread out the offense on two different units.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Jasper17

I am actually really interested to see how the PP sets up. If they set up like last season on the left side, that basically makes Nylander all but useless as he is not someone I want standingin front of in the high slot looking to shoot.

However if you set up on the right to let Nylander control the PP from down low which he is so good at, who do the Caps have that can play on the boards in that set-up? Unless they use Backstrom, they don't really have a lefty shot to set-up in that position.

Basically, I have no idea what the Caps are going to do. The only think I can possibly think of is to use an umbrella with Nylander and Semin/Kozlov down low, Ovechkin and Poti high in the shooting positions, and then someone as the PP QB at the top (maybe even Semin).

I think that umbrella set-up would be perfect in a 5 on 3 situation, but I am not a fan of that idea to much in a 5 on 4 (especially the Semin as the PP QB part).

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
If they set up like last season on the left side, that basically makes Nylander all but useless as he is not someone I want standingin front of in the high slot looking to shoot.
That is supposed to say...

If they set up like last season on the left side, that makes Nylander all but useless as he is not someone I want standing in front or in the high slot looking to shoot.

Old
09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I'd much rather see Nylander control the PP than Ovechkin, who seems to lose the puck a good amount. Instead of hanging out along the boards, I'd like to see Ovechkin moving in and out of the slot, looking for passes from Nylander.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:12 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I thought it was Ovechkin, Nylander, Clark, Poti and Kozlov on the first with Semin, Backstrom, Fleischmann, Pothier and Green/Eminger/Jurcina on the second.

I'm pretty sure Hanlons's intention was to spread out the offense on two different units.
From the two reports (Vogel and El-Bashir) on the topic, as well as the preseason games to date, my understanding was Nylander will be with the second unit.

First unit: Ovechkin, Kozlov, Clark with Poti and ? on the points
Second unit: Semin, Nylander, Backstrom with the points still to be determined

I expect shifting around depending on success and the game situation, but it is my understanding of the 2 forward groups they planned for the start of the season

They have been experimenting with a forward or a d on the other point with Poti from what I have seen.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

To reiterate, Hanlon is planning to start the season with the offensive players spread across two more or less even PP units, at least until such time as he needs to change it.

A first unit with Ovechkin, Semin, Nylander, Backstrom, Poti... that's not the initial plan. By November, who knows?

Hanlon seemingly has more faith in Kozlov's ability than... well, than does anyone else.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I'd much rather see Nylander control the PP than Ovechkin, who seems to lose the puck a good amount. Instead of hanging out along the boards, I'd like to see Ovechkin moving in and out of the slot, looking for passes from Nylander.
That is what I would like to see as well

Old
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
To reiterate, Hanlon is planning to start the season with the offensive players spread across two more or less even PP units, at least until such time as he needs to change it.

A first unit with Ovechkin, Semin, Nylander, Backstrom, Poti... that's not the initial plan. By November, who knows?

Hanlon seemingly has more faith in Kozlov's ability than... well, than does anyone else.
I don't like that idea at all to be honest. I would much rather have one great pp unit than 2 good ones.

Especially when you have players like Ovechkin and Semin who could easily take a 1:30 min shift on the PP.

Old
09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
artilector

I like the fact that Hanlon is trying something different. There are definite benefits to keeping lines together, and makes for a healthy rivalry within the team. A short PP shift will really encourage the players to value their PP time, as they'll know they won't be out there coasting along for 1:30. And you can always stack the PP and play with 4 forwards when you really need a goal..

It will be awesome if it works out..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
I don't like that idea at all to be honest. I would much rather have one great pp unit than 2 good ones.

Especially when you have players like Ovechkin and Semin who could easily take a 1:30 min shift on the PP.
Neither do I, but then again, just about everything Hanlon has suggested he will do to start the season sounds ass backwards to me.

Kozlov's not what Hanlon's making him out to be, and if Hanlon is aware of it but simply coddling the star, well, shame on the coach. If he genuinely believes in Kozlov's ability, then he hasn't watched enough tape. It's nonsense.

You have two skilled playmaking centers, and you're turning one into a winger riding shotgun and a streaky winger/pivot into one of your primary centers. What the hell? There are enough weapons that you don't have to rely on a guy who is proven to be unreliable.

Old
09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Jasper17

Do the Caps really even have enough talent to have two good PP unit's?

Old
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The answer to that totally depends on your read of Viktor Kozlov.

Old
09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
The answer to that totally depends on your read of Viktor Kozlov.
I think he is a solid 2nd unit guy, the same as Pothier on the defensive side. But I can't think of 10 players I want on a PP unit.

Basically the plan is going to take PP time away from Ovechkin, Semin and Nylander and give more to Kozlov and whoever else they try to use (Clark, Pettinger, etc...).

Old
09-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
You have two skilled playmaking centers, and you're turning one into a winger riding shotgun and a streaky winger/pivot into one of your primary centers. What the hell? There are enough weapons that you don't have to rely on a guy who is proven to be unreliable.
I agree, i understand wanting to protect a young player. But asking him to play out of position isn't going to do him many favors IMO.

That move basically puts two players the Capitals need to be very good if they want to make the playoffs (Backstrom and Kozlov) in positions that are not their best.

Old
09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think Kozlov's talented enough to play in the slot. He has size, reach and could do decently making traffic in front. But I'm not sure I'd want him on the top unit.

However, as it is composed... I tend to think the Caps are going to work it low and try and look for the defenseman sneaking in from the Point. It works decently, but it really depends on your defenseman not shanking the shot. I say that because of what occurred last night in Philly. With so many of the talented players out, they ran a vanilla PP without any of the big guns or top plays. They're still going to be looking for a shot in the slot from Ovechkin/Semin... but I'm hoping they don't try to just backdoor time it for the most part. They have more talent then that.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:52 AM
artilector

I don't think Hanlon sees Kozlov as a long-term center. I think he's saying, there is less risk to start out with Kozlov at center than with Backstrom, and it will be better for Backstom and the team.

No matter what you think of Kozlov's ability at center, its not a risky move to play him there. On the other hand, it will be easier for Backstrom to adjust to full-tilt NHL speed and schedule on the wing; it looks like he's pretty hard on himself, and it would be a tall order to ask him to carry the play on offense, and cover on the D, all while adjusting. It looks like he'll get there very soon, but its a long season, so making it easier for him mentally and physically can pay off. In Pittsburgh, they had good results with putting Malkin on wing, and it didn't hurt either the team or his progress any -- still, he had very little left in the tank at the end of his first season.

If all goes well (and unless it goes really well), I think Backstrom will (re)claim the center position within the first couple of months..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:54 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:

ugh just make it one deadly PP instead of two average ones...it's like he finally has talent but doesn't know what to do with it

but I think you're right in that Kozlov is the cog in how everything runs, I wasn't expecting him to that have this big of a role

09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
ugh just make it one deadly PP instead of two average ones...it's like he finally has talent but doesn't know what to do with it

Quote:
but I think you're right in that Kozlov is the cog in how everything runs, I wasn't expecting him to that have this big of a role
This is prob true

Old
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
PSUhockey34

just speculation but say Hanlon keeps Nylander and Semin together for a significant amount of time and they click pretty well...is there a possibility Semin outscores Ovy this year? IMO Ovy is good for 40/40 a year no matter who he plays with but Semin is the real dark horse of this team

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
just speculation but say Hanlon keeps Nylander and Semin together for a significant amount of time and they click pretty well...is there a possibility Semin outscores Ovy this year? IMO Ovy is good for 40/40 a year no matter who he plays with but Semin is the real dark horse of this team
hmm, its a decent question. But i don't think so. I don't think Semin will hit 90 points, which is easily in Ovechkin's reach.

Old
09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Monty

I would rather the Caps went with one potent PP unit that stays out there around 1:15 then two units. Hanlon stated that the teams with the best PP performance are the teams with two good units. I do not know if that is true but the problem with that logic is maybe those two or three teams have the best PP because they are able to put out two top-notch PP lines. For Hanlon to say we want to be like that requires that the Caps can ice two top-notch units and I don't see it based on the Caps' roster. The problems I see with two Caps PP units rather than one:

(1) Faceoffs. One of the keys to PP success is puck possession, particularly in the offensive zone, and a key to that is having a center with a good faceoff success rate. The Caps second unit is fine with Nylander but Kozlov is not a good faceoff man, so the AO unit will likely spend half their minute chasing down the puck in their zone because Kozlov lost the draw. Moreover, to the extent Kozlov wins some draws, he probably won't win many cleanly the way Oates use to. A good faceoff center like Oates probably picked up ten assists a year simply because he not only won the draw but drew it back flat and perfect to a point man or to a winger at the hashmarks who then scored with a one-timer. This will be a rare event with Kozlov centering the first PP unit.

(2) Entering the zone successfully. Maybe I was just expecting too much on Tuesday night but after the Tarik comments on the better PP, I was disappointed at the Caps' PP units, and the No. 1 reason was their inability to enter the zone successfully on many an occasion. They seemed to have a lot of PPs but my sense was their time in the zone on each in possession and setup was low because they couldn't get in the zone cleanly. The more you dilute the PP - by spreading the talent on two lines - the less skill and creativity each unit has to enable a clean entry into the zone. Once again most of my concern in this regard is with AO's unit. I like Clark, but when two of your three forwards are Clark and Kozlov, I foresee a lot of trouble entering the zone. In addition, neither unit will have a top-notch pair of point men. Poti is fine as a puck-moving point man and Semin is also very good. And Green shows promise. But Pothier, who almost surely will be on one of the units, is not very good at zone entry.

(3) Spreading out the PK unit. Another key to a good PP is making the PK unit have to spread out. In order to do that, the PK has to be worried about both the forwards down low and the point men. With one top unit, the Caps could achieve this fear. However, with two diluted units, it is unlikely. Pothier is again an example. With two units, he will almost surely be one of the point men on one of the units. Pothier at the point does not scare the PK so when he is one the ice, the PK can be more down low aggressively forcing the forwards to cough up the puck.

Top Unit - Plays 1:15 of PP at least

AO - Nylander - AS
Poti - Green/Pothier (if Green is not with team)

This unit should excel at puck possession - ie., winning faceoffs, playing keep away - setting up tic-tac-toe plays and breaking down the PK with passes through the PK box, and one timers by the wings

Second Unit - Plays remainder of PP

Fleischmann-Kozlov-Clark
Boomer - Jurcina

This unit should excel at simply having the point men bomb away from the point and two of the three forwards crashing the net for rebounds. Flash adds the element of creativity down low and would be the conductor to do short down-low passes in and around the crease to Kozlov or Clark, although this will generally not be a finesse PP. If Backstrom develops quickly during the season, ultimately he might assume the playmaker center role and Kozlov would rotate with Clark at RW.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
The Viking Fury

The Viking Fury - Usiel - Japser
Tinordi24 - Strungout

Langway - Sk84fun_dc - PSUHockey34
Drake - Chimaera

Caps 2 PP units

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old