HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Final Defensive Corps

Old
09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 500
Final Defensive Corps

Lots of speculation on many threads, so I figured it might be interesting to centralize it.

Barring injury, what are your parings and one extra defenseman on Opening Night?

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Devil Dancer

The obvious setup is:

Jurcina - Poti
Morrrrissssonnn - Pothier
Erskine/Green/Boomer/Emmy/Sgt.

The remaining questions are:

1. Who plays on the 3rd pairing?
2. Who gets sent down/traded/released?
3. Who plays on the PP point?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:25 AM
pgreene

poti-green
mo-juice
pothier-erskine
eminger

i just don't see where boumer beats anyone out, unless eminger's traded (or erskine's just cut). if eminger's shipped, then keep boumer.

it's a philosophical question on boumer. do we really need a hard-hitting stay at home low skill guy like erskine? if not, boumer stays and erskine goes. honestly, i'm torn on which way that decision shakes out. i think in terms of absolute ability, erskine is an anomaly in our line up (that's a nice way of saying he's low skill). if we're really going with fast, mobile puck movers, it has to be boumer over erskine.

hhmm... i'm conflicted. i do think green needs to stay up, and i like pairing him with someone solid.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I think Eminger played well enough to garner a spot, especially since he's susceptible to being plucked off waivers. He made a real heads up play on the PP when he pinched. He also has proven chemistry with Erskine. I know I've been advocating making room for Green, but that was based on the assumption that Eminger was still a mess. While he hasn't come anywhere near fulfilling his potential, he looks capable enough. As much as I really want to see Green in the NHL, Eminger at least deserves a spot in the opening lineup. If he plays his way off the team, Green will be nipping at his heels.

Poti-Morrisonn
Jurcina-Pothier
Erskine-Eminger
Boumer

It is so incredibly nice not to see Muir, Heward, Doig, Melanson or "Kiwi" (I can't even remember his real name) in the lineup.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Poti and Pothier
Morrisonn and Jurcina
Erskine and Green
Eminger

Personally, Boumedienne would be my odd man out.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Poti - Jurcina
Morrison - Boum
Green - Pothier
Erskine

I just dont see how anyone can leave Green off the opening night roster after his pre-season

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Boumer does not belong in the top 6.

Old
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
poti - green
jurcina - mo
pothier - eminger
erskine/boumer/schultz

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Boumer does not belong in the top 6.
Whoops switch boum with Pothier

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Green - Erskine
Boumedienne

I'd look to cut my losses on Eminger unless there's just no decent value coming back in return. Otherwise, he'd start off as the 7th over Boumer and be there to take over for Green if he needs more time in Hershey or if there's an injury.

Pollock and Boumedienne play a similar European offensive style, and if the reports of Boumer potentially heading back to Europe if he doesn't make the team are true (still unconfirmed) then I wouldn't sweat it that much. I haven't really been impressed with either and wouldn't keep Boumedienne around just because.

Edit: Beyond what I'd like to see happen, Eminger staying and Boumer being the odd man out seems the most likely outcome.

Last edited by Langway: 09-27-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think they keep 8 defensemen.

They look to showcase one and make a move with him.

Poti- Pothier (with Green taking some time)
Morrisonn - Jurcina
Erskine - Green/Eminger

Extras- Eminger, Boomer. Sub out Erskine against teams without a fighter or two (and less physical teams). Put in Boomer if the PP stalls a bit. Eminger in if Green stalls or he is playing well.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:16 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Erskine - Green
Eminger

Not feeling the Boumer love after last night...that non rush up the ice at the end of the game really ticked me off.

Keep Eminger until you could possible trade him in a deal for a defensive d man to spell Erskine for time to time (because he's going to get hurt...that's a given)

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I think they keep 8 defensemen.
I doubt that. I suspect they sit one defenseman and two forwards on their 23-man roster, not one forward and two defensemen. I expect that of Boumedienne, Eminger, and Green... one plays, one sits, and there isn't room for the other.

That leaves Poti, Pothier, Morrisonn and Jurcina as solid, and Erskine probably set as well, mainly because few other options on defense bring the same tool set.

So for one of the three in question (Eminger, Boumedienne, Green), either you trade him, allow him to return to Europe, or demote him to Hershey. Green is the only one not subject to waivers.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I suspect they sit one defenseman and two forwards on their 23-man roster, not one forward and two defensemen.
Agreed. But if Daniel Sernoffsky's report is correct (I'm not overly familiar with him) then the Caps may indeed be looking to keep eight defensemen.

That's a little hard to believe considering that likely means keeping Boumedienne over a guy like Bradley, Laich or Clymer. Only keeping 13 forwards also makes it less likely that Steckel makes the cut.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I doubt that. I suspect they sit one defenseman and two forwards on their 23-man roster, not one forward and two defensemen. I expect that of Boumedienne, Eminger, and Green... one plays, one sits, and there isn't room for the other.

That leaves Poti, Pothier, Morrisonn and Jurcina as solid, and Erskine probably set as well, mainly because few other options on defense bring the same tool set.

So for one of the three in question (Eminger, Boumedienne, Green), either you trade him, allow him to return to Europe, or demote him to Hershey. Green is the only one not subject to waivers.
I don't think it will be for long, but for the first week or two, I think they do. Until either someone gets hurt (which is a distinct possibility) or gets traded (the more likely of the two). Boomer isn't a good defenseman, and I think the team realizes this, but letting him walk back to Europe is probably not the most simple of decisions. I think they try to get something for him before they let him walk out. Moving Eminger is also likely as well (though I think they'd keep Boomer and move Eminger first).

If that means cutting Laich loose or trying to send a Clymer/Bradley through waivers, then that'd be the case. But I just think they're handcuffed into what they can do. You can pick up a 3rd or 4th line forward down the road a lot easier than you can get a decent 5th-6th defenseman (if that's what the team thinks they have). Heck, you could sign a 4th forward off the street or pull him up from Hershey without losing a beat.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
PSUhockey34

Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Erskine - Green
Eminger

but I wouldn't totally shocked if Green is sent down in favor of Eminger for a handful of games to give Eminger one last shot

09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Erskine - Green
Eminger

but I wouldn't totally shocked if Green is sent down in favor of Eminger for a handful of games to give Eminger one last shot
I totally agree, both with the pairings and Green getting sent down. I think Green has made it a much tougher decision, but the fact he doesn't have to go through waivers is key. So I expect him to go and let Eminger play with Erskine.

If Green does stay, he plays with Erskine.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Poti-Jurcina
Mo-Pots
Erksine-Eminger

Either keep Boomer as the 7th and go in early in the season to eval Eminger and perhaps showcase him for about 10 to 15 games. Green goes to hershey early. He's had a very good offensive showing in the preseason but he still makes some mistakes.

Also could just cut loose Boomer and platoon Eminger/Green in the 3rd pairing for the first 10-15 games and then decide what to do.

09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Agreed. But if Daniel Sernoffsky's report is correct (I'm not overly familiar with him) then the Caps may indeed be looking to keep eight defensemen.

That's a little hard to believe considering that likely means keeping Boumedienne over a guy like Bradley, Laich or Clymer. Only keeping 13 forwards also makes it less likely that Steckel makes the cut.
Dan S is a beat writer for the Bears, but his accuracy on reporting so called facts is not always the greatest. It could be what Yingst or Boudreau said they think might happen, but while the 8 d to start is a possibility, especially when one looks at the roster, I wonder if a day or two ago they knew whether it would be 14/7 vs 13/8.

By the way, Comcast had a clip of the first goal against, you were correct, Pollock and Boumedienne were on the ice.

I agree Boumedienne hasn't done much to stand out in a positive way during the 3 preseason games, with the note that he was paired with Pollock in 2 of the games. I am thinking about McPhee's off-season comments about signing Boumer to a one year, low salary contract being low risk. Do they keep 8 to start, a possibility, but if he is outplayed or they don't want the issues related to 8D, he may be the odd man out.

If they keep 8, Chimaera's combos sound likely to start the season.

Back to the speculation about trading Eminger, are there any teams in need/have room for a d-man like Eminger due to preseason injuries? Also, plenty of internet speculation about trading Eminger for the last year, but who knows what the org. is thinking.

Should be interesting to see the D pairings in these last 2 games.

edit: my opinions about Green's situation are in the Green thread.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-27-2007 at 11:12 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Poti-Jurcina
Mo-Pots
Erksine-Eminger

Either keep Boomer as the 7th and go in early in the season to eval Eminger and perhaps showcase him for about 10 to 15 games. Green goes to hershey early. He's had a very good offensive showing in the preseason but he still makes some mistakes.

Also could just cut loose Boomer and platoon Eminger/Green in the 3rd pairing for the first 10-15 games and then decide what to do.
Boomer is going to end up back in Europe and Green starts the year in Hershey...that's the way I'm calling this

like what Japser said, Green is waiver exempt so the Caps can be pretty liberal in his use and have the time to let Eminger get some games under him before making a decision on moving him...it's not like he's being thrown into the top 3 or 4 blueline slots, he can rebuild his game on the bottom pairing...it's all mental with him, he's definitely got the tools to be a great top 4 guy but I also doubt he ever reaches that potential

the Caps only get better and deeper if Emmy turns things around regardless if Green earned his spot in the lineup

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 09-27-2007 at 11:15 AM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
but the fact he doesn't have to go through waivers is key. So I expect him to go and let Eminger play with Erskine.
I was hoping the Caps were done with this philosophy.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Biscuit Bullet

What's the NHL games played threshold for waiver exemption?

Old
09-27-2007, 12:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Green - Erskine
Boumedienne
This is mine too except I expect Eminger to not be cut and be scratched as insurance for Greenie. I see Boomer waived and its up to him to accept Hershey or go back to Europe.

The PP D for me are:

Green-Poti
Pothier-Mo

The PK D:
Mo-Jurcina
Erskine-Poti

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Poti - Jurcina
Morrisonn - Pothier
Erskine - Green
Eminger

Not feeling the Boumer love after last night...that non rush up the ice at the end of the game really ticked me off.

Keep Eminger until you could possible trade him in a deal for a defensive d man to spell Erskine for time to time (because he's going to get hurt...that's a given)
Had I read a few more postings I would have just quoted you and said x2!

But while I agree on the Erskine injury potential. To me, a Shultz call-up is his replacement. Emi is Green insurance and Pothier injury insurance. I see him filling in for those guys on these back-to-back games or the 3 games in 5 nights that we have in Oct.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I was hoping the Caps were done with this philosophy.

Why would any team in the NHL be done with that philosophy? The more players you have the better, and this enables the Caps to keep 1 more quality player in their system.

And lets not pretend it would kill Green's career to spend some more time in Hershey. In fact I think you can make a much stronger case it would help more than hinder or hold up. He is still only 21 years old, that is really young for an NHL defensman.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote