HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Measuring speed of a game - metrics?

Old
09-27-2007, 10:52 PM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

vCash: 500
Measuring speed of a game - metrics?

I'm wondering if anyone has a good measure to compare different levels of hockey. I'm figuring college scouts probably do.

My mom pointed out when I was a kid that every hockey game she watched (Mite/Squirts, girls, high school, college, NHL) was all the same - people skate offside, lose the puck in traffic, and fail to connect on passes. The difference is simply the speed at which the game is played.

Watching the Lightning and Red Wings the other night, I was absolutely blown away by the speed of the game. I've been playing 35+ and was watching a Jr. B game the day before.

I'm trying to come up with something to compare different levels. For example, could a Midget team beat an A level mens league team? Would a B level mens league team take a 35+. Is 100 points in 40 games more impressive for a Midget A team in Massachusetts or a Jr. C team in Arizona?

The measurement I've come up with (but haven't tested) is how many times the puck crosses the blue line in a game. Assuming two competitive teams you could count this and have a sense for how fast the players on the ice are moving. Juniors, college, and NHL are all 20 minute stop-time periods. Any other stop-time league would need to be adjusted. I haven't come up with a way to translate running to stop time, but the running time versus running time comparisons should work.

I'm guessing a Bantam B game would score a higher number than a Pee Wee A game.

Does anyone think this would work? See any problem with it? Or is there another metric used by scouts that I should consider?

When a college scout from New England that is used to watching Prep schools, then goes to the USA Hockey national Midget championship, and finally picks up a tape from the Minnesota HS tournament there has to be something other than the eyeball test. Right?

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote