HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Syracuse Crunch/Elmira Jackals/Youngstown Steelhounds 2007-2008 thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

vCash: 500
Syracuse Crunch/Elmira Jackals/Youngstown Steelhounds 2007-2008 thread

(Mods - feel free to change this to be a minor league affiliate thread, I forget how it was last year)

Figured it was time for me to start the Crunch thread for the year.

Went down to practice today since I had the day off and meetings kept me from going earlier this week. Stayed for about 45 minutes. Ice was very crowded, as there haven't been any cuts from here yet.

Wish I could have kept track of who was who, no one had names on their Jerseys, and no one was wearing the right number (Platt had 15 on his sweater to go along with the 47 on his helmet. Her and Goertzen were the only ones who had helmet numbers and they were both Cbus numbers instead of their Crunch numbers).

Mostly 2 on 2 and 5 on 5 drills. Not too much shooting, mostly passing and positioning through the neutral zone into the offensive zone. Whoever was wearing number 6 looked good, I'll try to figure out who that was at some point. Another guy (I think wearing 19) got a round of applause for a nice open ice check during the 2 on 2 portion.

Only home pre season game is Saturday, I imagine it will be mostly ECHL kids and rookies trying to make the team. The Crunch only get 3 pre season games before the opener on the 5th. I know a fair percentage of them have been in Jackets camp, but that to me seems like too few games to really gel as a team here. But they didn't ask me.

One other thing, kudos to the front office of the Crunch. They don't mail season ticket booklets, they have us pick them up. I talked to one of the guys in the office today, and they won't be in until mid next week, after the single pre season game, so we have to make a special trip down for them. Excellent planning.

Old
09-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Skraut

Looking forward to seeing the boys in action. Just got my Monsters season tickets in the mail last night, and already swapped out a few games so I have all 4 Crunch games at the Q. Already sitting in the Crunch attack twice zone

Old
10-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Crunch finish preseason 1-2

Only saw the one home game on Saturday, in which the Crunch lost 5-3.

Very hard to get solid impressions from one game, particularly since no one was still wearing correct uniforms. The Crunch suited up in 2 year old Jackets sweaters (still had Stinger on the shoulder) numbered 46-71 with no names. So I spent half the night trying to figure out who was who. I kept thinking we had Methot, OKT and Nash out there, at least until they started skating.

Anyway, in brief a list of the good, the bad and the ugly, at least for the new folks:

Good (keep them around): Pohl, Jarman, Campbell, Frischmon
Bad and Ugly (cut or demote): Landry, Kloucek, Lacosta, Hendrikx, Mirasty

Cuts are supposed to come today, so we'll see who sticks around for the Friday opener. We're not traveling to Rochester on Friday, we'll be staying home and watching the Jackets game, as long as Center Ice works. Home opener is the 13th.

Old
10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Why were they wearing old CBJ jerseys?

Old
10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I am assuming it is because they haven't got their new Reebok jerseys in yet. I think the AHL decided kind of late to switch to them.

Old
10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Wearing the CBJ sweaters in the preseason goes back a few years, when some/most of the AHL teams were doing it. Now the Crunch are the only ones that I'm aware of.

It may be that the new sweaters aren't in yet, but my opinion is more that it's cheapness/lazyness. Most of the guys in the preseason aren't going to stick around, so why get Crunch sweaters for them and put names on them, when they can use the jerseys they've had around for years? Makes sense I suppose, but it's annoying for those of us trying to follow the game. At least put a velcro name plate on there.

Old
10-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

opening night roster, sort of

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/roster...12&team_id=324

With Methot coming down, that sends either Landry or Hendrikx to Dayton.

I see the lines as this:

Lindstrom-Platt-Pineault
Murray-Brassard-Szwez
Sestito-MacKenzie-Goertzen
Starkov-Dupuis-Pohl

extra (unlisted): Mirasty

I could see either Starkov or Pohl moving up to the third line depending on play, pushing Goertzen down to fourth line/PK. But the Crunch always ease rookies in. In fact, I could see Brassard starting on the third line, but he probably belongs higher.

Defensive pairings:

Methot-Smith
Campbell-St. Jacques
Maenpaa/Plekhanov/Redlihs

Extra: Landry/Hendrikx

Man that defensive grouping is young. Three rookies in the top 7. They might have to split up Methot, Smith and St Jacques to get an experienced guy on each pairing.

Carrying three goalies right now since Munro has an injury, Lacosta probably will be sent down as soon as Munro is ready to go.

Old
10-03-2007, 03:51 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
You have Beech as well now.

Old
10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

when is Konopka expected back... and boy, they could sure use another defenseman

Old
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Macster

It seems like you might have missed a couple of guys SCF, Mirasty and Jarman were signed to PTOs and so was Frischmon from last year.

Depth Chart, Not lines: (Bold is healthy / with the team)

Picard - Brassard - Pineault
Lindstrom - Platt - Konopka
Glencross - Dupuis - Murray
MacKenzie - Beech - Starkov
Sestito - Szwez
Pohl - Goertzen
Frischmon - Jarman
Mirasty

If you were to make lines from who's healthy/with the team, they might look like:

Lindstrom - Brassard - Pineault
MacKenzie - Platt - Murray
Sestito - Beech - Starkov
Goertzen - Dupuis

Extra: Pohl, Szwez, Frischmon, Jarman, Mirasty

Picard, Konopka and Glencross would be excellent additions to the team once they are healthy/returned.

Methot - Wharton
Smith - Campbell
Maenpaa - Plekhanov

Extra: Redlihs, Landry, Hendrikx

The St. Jacques rumors haven't been proved yet, so I'll wait before I throw him in the mix. The team really needs an offensive blueliner. Wharton and Maenpaa will help, but losing Brookbank hurts.

Popperle
Munro
Lacosta

Old
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
It seems like you might have missed a couple of guys SCF, Mirasty and Jarman were signed to PTOs and so was Frischmon from last year.
Yeah, I was going mostly by the roster as listed on the AHL site, and they did miss the most recent additions and PTOs. Which is why I titled it with a sort of

We have a ton of forward depth with Jarman and Beech and Frischmon. There's going to have to be some demotions to Dayton.

But man does the defense scare me. I was counting on Russell and Brookbank this year. I liked Campbell, and didn't see some of the others in the one preseason game. I also seriously doubt Methot will be here most of the year.

Here's to a bunch of 8-7 hockey games this year from the Crunch!

Old
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
Yeah, I was going mostly by the roster as listed on the AHL site, and they did miss the most recent additions and PTOs. Which is why I titled it with a sort of

We have a ton of forward depth with Jarman and Beech and Frischmon. There's going to have to be some demotions to Dayton.

But man does the defense scare me. I was counting on Russell and Brookbank this year. I liked Campbell, and didn't see some of the others in the one preseason game. I also seriously doubt Methot will be here most of the year.

Here's to a bunch of 8-7 hockey games this year from the Crunch!
I hear ya man.

I'd say that when Konopka and Picard (and hopefully Glencross) return, the Crunch have arguably the best set of forwards in the AHL. I can see the CBJ organization making a trade (depth for depth) to acquire a defender. Maybe a guy like Murray (if he has value), or even Konopka.

Wharton should impress, I really liked him in junior. Methot will be a stud when he's there, and Smith is steady. Campbell could surprise and the three Euro blueliners really excite me.

Old
10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

According to someone who went to a practice yesterday, the lines went as follows:

Platt, Murray, Pineault

Lindstrom, Szwez, Tifu

Goertzen, Sestito, Frischmon

Mirasty, Starkov, Jarman, Pohl rotating in

Dupuis working out, but not on ice.

Obviously this will change once the injured heal.

Old
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
According to someone who went to a practice yesterday, the lines went as follows:

Platt, Murray, Pineault

Lindstrom, Szwez, Tifu

Goertzen, Sestito, Frischmon

Mirasty, Starkov, Jarman, Pohl rotating in

Dupuis working out, but not on ice.

Obviously this will change once the injured heal.
Interesting no Brassard out there yet?

Old
10-03-2007, 09:06 PM
fitchjr1

vCash: 560
I believe Brassard arrived today.

Old
10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Macster

An interesting tidbit from Lindsay Kramer's blog today mentions that the Elmira Jackals (formerly of the UHL, formerly a CBJ affiliate) is the new ECHL affiliate of the Crunch.

I wonder what Dayton's status is?

http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/

Old
10-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Interesting. Very interesting. So do Jackets prospects go to Dayton, and Syracuse contract players go to Elmira? Is the writing on the wall? Columbus and Cleveland affiliated in 2008, or 2009?

Nothing on the websites about this.

Old
10-04-2007, 12:01 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Interesting. Very interesting. So do Jackets prospects go to Dayton, and Syracuse contract players go to Elmira? Is the writing on the wall? Columbus and Cleveland affiliated in 2008, or 2009?

well Tifu has been quoted in the paper as being in Dayton if his tryout with Syracuse doesnt work out.

Old
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Elmira's website still shows their affiliates as TBD. This must be breaking news, since none of the team websites have any info on it yet.

Old
10-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Macster

Quote:

Hendrikx is Columbus property, and he was sent to Elmira. That leads me to believe that Columbus and Syracuse have changed affiliations from Dayton to Elmira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
well Tifu has been quoted in the paper as being in Dayton if his tryout with Syracuse doesn't work out.
Tifu is under contract with Dayton, that's why. He's only in Syracuse under a PTO. Same thing with guys like Szwez and Munro trying out with the Jackets. They are under contract with the Crunch, but they are trying to earn a contract in a higher league.

Old
10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

A few years back when Elmira was in the UHL, the Crunch had affiliations with both Dayton and Elmira. That hasn't been the case in awhile, but I haven't really followed what the current state if any the UHL is in. I'm blanking on the name but there was a headcase goalie that went to Elmira instead of Dayton 3 or so years ago. Someone will remember what his name was I'm sure.

We obviously hadn't heard anything before today about this either.

Old
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Macster

The big difference between now and then SCF is that Elmira is now an ECHL team.

EDIT: Never mind you knew that

Teams can only have one ECHL affiliate as far as I know, so I would think it would be either Dayton or Elmira, not both.

Judging by the Hendrikx move, it looks like Elmira.

Last edited by Macster: 10-04-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Why the hell would Columbus make this move?

Old
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Macster

Quote:
Why the hell would Columbus make this move?
Why not?

Very rarely do NHL teams directly demote players to the ECHL. 99% of the time they spend some time in the AHL first.

Elmira is closer to Syracuse.

Old
10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

That may be true, but I, and other Columbus fans, enjoyed driving over to Dayton to watch prospects. Guess I can scratch that off my list of things to do if this is true.

Closed Thread