HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Old
05-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Nick Bäckström and the Capitals have agreed to a three-year deal.

Bäckström gets an Ovechkin-like contract with maximum base salary plus rookie bonuses.

The contract will be signed within two weeks.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_sho...html?id=129648

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 05:54 AM
NoMeSudes

vCash: 500
Great to hear. When's the first time wee can expect to see him? Isn't there a prospect camp coming up? Any chance he'd play there?

NoMeSudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 06:30 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
- Mina planer är att åka över och se om jag tar en plats, för jag vill inte spela i AHL, utan åker då hellre hem till elitserien och Brynäs igen.
Translates too...

"
My plan is going over and see if I get a spot on the team, because I don't want to play in the AHL, then I'd rather go back home to the SEL and play for Brynäs.
"

I have little doubt that he makes the team... But if he doesn't the AHL would be what he needs. He won't get better playing for Brynäs, and if he is not ready for the NHL, the AHL is where he needs to be, to adapt to the north american game.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeSudes View Post
When's the first time wee can expect to see him?
You can have a little preview of the two chums here

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:26 AM
EHCler

Great news.

Should help us in convincing Freeagents to come here. One less hole to fill.

Last edited by EHCler: 05-14-2007 at 08:28 AM.
EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 07:58 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Great news though and its about time. In celebration this deserves its own thread . The first move of the off season is made.

05-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Foy

Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
After watching NB playing at World champs I'm not sure how big impact he will make next season. Most of games he was quite invisible and that's the way it has been almost all year with national team, both juniors and men. Kessel, Toews, Johnson... they all had better World Champs tournaments than NB.

I hope Caps fans won't expect a AO-like rookie season from him, because he probably can't give them that kind of performance. I'd be very happy if he scores about 50 points.

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Translates too...

"
My plan is going over and see if I get a spot on the team, because I don't want to play in the AHL, then I'd rather go back home to the SEL and play for Brynäs.
"

I have little doubt that he makes the team... But if he doesn't the AHL would be what he needs. He won't get better playing for Brynäs, and if he is not ready for the NHL, the AHL is where he needs to be, to adapt to the north american game.
If he can't make the Caps, then something is seriously wrong.

Old
05-14-2007, 09:39 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
After watching NB playing at World champs I'm not sure how big impact he will make next season. Most of games he was quite invisible and that's the way it has been almost all year with national team, both juniors and men. Kessel, Toews, Johnson... they all had better World Champs tournaments than NB.

I hope Caps fans won't expect a AO-like rookie season from him, because he probably can't give them that kind of performance. I'd be very happy if he scores about 50 points.
i've kinda been thinking this way too. i'd much rather expect less and be pleasantly surprised. i just want to see some chemistry, see some solid potential and the occasional brilliant pass.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:41 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeSudes View Post
Great to hear. When's the first time wee can expect to see him? Isn't there a prospect camp coming up? Any chance he'd play there?
Camp will be July 9 - 14th this year (if I'm remembering correctly).

Did someone blog/write/report that Backstrom might be coming over next week with his parents (sign contract, find a place to live, etc)?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:44 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

I'd be very happy with 50 points...particularly if it breaks down to about 10-15 goals with 35-40 assists.

I think most of us are realistic about him. He's a smaller player and he's going to play in a more physical league and about 2 times as many games as he's ever played in a season. He's got a lot to deal with.

In order, I hope that he: keeps his head up, adapts to the smaller ice surface, survives the 82 games, bonds with his teammates/improves his English, and scores about 50 points.

I do expect a big improvement in 2008-2009 though.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:45 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

I know I'm not going to expect an AO-type season from Backstrom points or impact wise this next season. He's a pass first/possession type player (which is the type the caps can use). The Caps have AO/Semin for their game breakers.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
The Viking Fury

He can't be any worse than Beech, so I have expectations of at least that

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
He can't be any worse than Beech, so I have expectations of at least that
Well, he could be worse than Beech.

Old
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
mattihp

Quote:

The swedish team, much like the finnish team lacked natural scorers. The caps don't.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Cush
-inator

I like how if you run it through an online translator, his agent is "Gunnar Swede"

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
The Viking Fury

Foy, technically thats possible, but realistically, I don't think so

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:23 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
I like how if you run it through an online translator, his agent is "Gunnar Swede"
Bad translator then.

Svensson is amongst the most common swedish surnames.

I think the translator is tricked by fact that 'Svensson' is also used to describe the average swede.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:

I don't know which World Championship youve been watching. In the tournament i where watching, Bäckström outscored AO and was one point behind Kessel. I agree he wasn't anything particular, but Caps is a different team, he can expect alot of ice time. In the national team, BÅG roll all the lines, and have no special powerplay lineups at all.

Johnsson was a healthy scratch for the most part.

Anyway, nice to see that he is heading over, hopefully he will work out this summer, and make adjustments.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I don't know which World Championship youve been watching. In the tournament i where watching, Bäckström outscored AO and was one point behind Kessel.
Yes, he was point behind Kessel, but he also did play two games more than Kessel. And please, don't talk about AO. He played an awful tournament, he looked like someone had affected him with Kovalchuk's old habits. I know he was frustrated because of his ice time and role, but he also played quite often bit selfish game.

Quote:
I agree he wasn't anything particular, but Caps is a different team, he can expect alot of ice time. In the national team, BÅG roll all the lines, and have no special powerplay lineups at all.
Maybe I should have said that Kessel and Toews had more spectacular tournaments than NB. Their game looked more like NHL-ready to me. The biggest disappointment with NB was that his passes looked really soft in last 2 games. From time to time he looked like a boy among the men IMO. Positive is that he showed he has same kind of vision like Oatsie had. I hope I'll be wrong about him, but I think he will have some problems to adapt to NHL game.

Quote:
Johnsson was a healthy scratch for the most part.
Which one? I was talking about Erik and I think he played atleast the last two games of tournament.

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Good to hear...I'm not worried about point totals, with AO and AS the points will come.

Even Strength ... Pass puck to Semin

Power Play ... Pass puck to Ovechkin or Semin

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If he can't make the Caps, then something is seriously wrong.
Yeah, if he can't make the Caps then he can't make any other NHL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Did someone blog/write/report that Backstrom might be coming over next week with his parents (sign contract, find a place to live, etc)?
OnFrozenBlog did.

I'm not terribly concerned about Backstrom's offensive performance next year. He's bound to be on the ice with at least one of two of the most talented young snipers in the game...that can only be good for his game. It's not like he's coming into the league with no outstanding finishers to compliment his pass-first style. I wouldn't expect anything rivaling an Ovechkin-type rookie year but he could put up some impressive numbers if he's consistent all year long. What I'll be paying more close attention to are his defensive game and how he adapts to the North American game overall.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

It really seems that Backstrom's skillset is almost more suited for the smaller NHL sized rinks with his oates-like close in passes. I would think that he would be at the rookie camp so we should get a little more evaluation as far as predicting how he might handle everything.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

This is good stuff to hear, congratulations guys... even from a Pens fan's perspective, it's good for the league... I can't wait to watch Ovechkin and Backstrom together be it on the PP or on a regular unit. I was personally crazy about Backstrom in the 06 draft and wanted the Pens to take him, but I guess I'm perfectly content with Staal . Enjoy the excitement, guys.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote