HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's David Steckel looking

Old
10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
He is about the only forward trade candidate with any value for GM, since Edmonton has a crush on him.
This has popped up a lot. Can anyone confirm that Edmonton has shown any interest in Sutherby since the spring of 2003 when we were close to a swap of Sutherby for Niinima?

A lot (groin, rules, age, salary cap among others) has changed in the last four and a half years.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Steckel would also have to occasionally hit someone while on the ice. And be a team leader. And put in more goals.
Well... he already has the slow skating part down.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
I think he is packing anyways. Having one or two token fights a year is not enough to save Sutherby's job. He needed to be an agitator to save his job this year IMO, something that he is not. He is about the only forward trade candidate with any value for GM, since Edmonton has a crush on him.
I don't know that its Sutherby going. I think Laich has more value. But that's just me.

I think Sutherby's got plenty of injury concerns anyhow. He also is very good in the room, so they might keep him.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't know that its Sutherby going. I think Laich has more value. But that's just me.

I think Sutherby's got plenty of injury concerns anyhow. He also is very good in the room, so they might keep him.
There's a reason Sutherby wears an A, it is because the organization places a value on him beyond his on-ice contributions.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
There's a reason Sutherby wears an A, it is because the organization places a value on him beyond his on-ice contributions.
Clymer also wear the A...the Caps have either traded or let players walk that have worn the C or A these past few seasons...but I'm not sold on Suts being the odd man out

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
txpd

i think time grows short for sutherby. his contemperaries are growing up and will more understand his departure than they might have the last couple of seasons.

He needs to produce something this season. 40 games without a goal won't cut it with Steckel able to chip them in and kill penalties better. Bourque is going to carry the same sort of intangibles that Sutherby carries when the time comes and that may be sooner than later as well.

I don't think Sutherby is traded now, but it could come.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
If Steckel fought more, Sutherby would be packing his bags right now.
Which is why I think the team will elect to keep Bradley ......... meaning Laich and Sutherby have to fight it out for the last slot.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
FrankM73

per Tarik at 12:31PM 10/02/07:
Update:Center David Steckel told me he has moved into corporate housing. So I guess that means he's staying. So scratch him off the list of candidates to be cut.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

so Steckel made the team... but no word yet who the final demotion or IR player it is!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
FrankM73

Eminger is on the IR... per Mike Vogel...

http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/2007...-night-roster/

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Eminger is on the IR... per Mike Vogel...

http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/2007...-night-roster/
Is it the same ankle sprain?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Is it the same ankle sprain?
I thought it was his shoulder . . .

Old
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
I thought it was his shoulder . . .
i believe that is called a "ridiculously high ankle sprain"

Steckel is going to get his chance this season - the role that the organization wanted Sutherby to fill for the last several years has been taken (in pieces) by Gordon, Brashear, Laich, and now Steckel...

i hope he continues to play hungry - with him on the big squad we can have Gordo, Clark, Petty, Steckel asn our main PKers with Laich, Sutherby as fill-ins... not bad

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ahem....

<--------- Washington Capital

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
Clymer also wear the A...the Caps have either traded or let players walk that have worn the C or A these past few seasons...but I'm not sold on Suts being the odd man out
Like the Blues feel about Dallas Drake?

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 08:07 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ahem....

<--------- Washington Capital

Very nice!

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Quote:
Hockey players need to be able to do more on the ice than off in my opinion. I have always liked him since he was one of the few up front to hit and play physical, but it just seems he has hit a wall in his development. We refused to give him a mere chance to move out of the checking role as I heard him say he hoped would happen many years ago. Since we didnt give him a sniff on the second line last year means to me he has no offensive skills so his type are a dime a dozen. We had no #1 or #2 center and refused to try the centers from 3 and 4. IMO he got an A because he would fight a few times a year.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
IMO he got an A because he would fight a few times a year.
He's been the "leader" of the young guys for several years. THAT'S why he got the A.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
He's been the "leader" of the young guys for several years. THAT'S why he got the A.
Are you tight with those guys? If so I trust you are right. I personally dont think its a coincidence that our captain and alternates all get into 3 fights a year. Clark Clymer and Suds. But i may be way off there. IMO Teams over the years seem to favor the guy that will drop the mits occasionally over those who dont. Someone that will stand up for the team, do anything that is needed to win. More so than be mentors to rookies. But I am not in the locker room so I dont know.

Old
10-03-2007, 12:10 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you tight with those guys? If so I trust you are right. I personally dont think its a coincidence that our captain and alternates all get into 3 fights a year. Clark Clymer and Suds. But i may be way off there. IMO Teams over the years seem to favor the guy that will drop the mits occasionally over those who dont. Someone that will stand up for the team, do anything that is needed to win. More so than be mentors to rookies. But I am not in the locker room so I dont know.
It's been reported many times in the past that Sutherby was the leader of the young guys.

I think you could look at all the Captains in the NHL and many wouldn't be the "drop the gloves types".

Old
10-03-2007, 12:14 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
It's been reported many times in the past that Sutherby was the leader of the young guys.

I think you could look at all the Captains in the NHL and many wouldn't be the "drop the gloves types".
Oh ok I didnt hear those reports. And yes many finesse players are captains and A's. But if I were a coach I would choose Dale Hunter over Michal Pivonka to be my Captain even if he didn't take the rookies our for ice cream after the games. Stevens over Engbloom. A guy that leads by example in any and all aspects of the game. But I am old school. Still it seems a coincidence then that all our C's and A's all drop the mits a 3 times a year.

Old
10-03-2007, 12:21 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh ok I didnt hear those reports. And yes many finesse players are captains and A's. But if I were a coach I would choose Dale Hunter over Michal Pivonka to be my Captain even if he didn't take the rookies our for ice cream after the games. Stevens over Engbloom. A guy that leads by example in any and all aspects of the game. But I am old school. Still it seems a coincidence then that all our C's and A's all drop the mits a 3 times a year.

Certainly depends on who you have on your team. If you had Hunter (who is my alltime favorite Cap) and Yzerman, how do you not choose Stevie Y?

Old
10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:

Ovie had the "A" for many times last year and didn't get in 1 fight.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Foy

Quote:
Clymer hasn't worn the A for a while. Ovy and Sutherby wore the A for most of the end of last year. I don't see Ovy fighting too much.

Old
10-03-2007, 11:42 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Ovie had the "A" for many times last year and didn't get in 1 fight.
he fought Mike Richards

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Clymer hasn't worn the A for a while. Ovy and Sutherby wore the A for most of the end of last year. I don't see Ovy fighting too much.
Sure thing, but all things equal I think Sutherby had the A because he was one of a handful of players that will do anything to win. Sure, teams choose scorers to lead by example and thats great and I am sure the league prefers that. The next person to wear the A will be Morrison. Another Capital that fights anyone for any Cap. That shows more to me than how well he jokes in the locker room. I dont think it will be a coincidence when he gets an A.

This is 2007 but there is still a place in this league for Dale Hunter type of leadership. I remember a game up in NY and we were losing 4-0 and he runs over Hrudey I think on the side boards touched off a brawl and comeback win. The closest thing we have to him is Chris Clark and I dont think its a coincidence that he is our Captain.