HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (All NHL talk/news in this thread)

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
213 Sentinel

vCash: 500
OK. I've seen the Caps red now. It's better than the white, no question about it. Still...a pretty bland design overall. I'm trying to figure out what they're trying to do with it...lure back the hard-core fans? They never left, if they're hard-core.

Old
10-09-2007, 12:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
What do you think of that building? Inside the arena part it is pretty good, but I find the concourse very drab and bland. I know it is going with the desert motif, but it didn't feel warm or inviting in the concourses--I didn't like the colors in there.
I find most Phoenix-area architecture bland. But, the food selection was good (not as good as the Staples Center, better than average though) and the seating was done right. Team store was okay--better than Anaheim, not as good as Pittsburgh or Columbus.

Quote:
Not in the least. That guy has skill but he has no ability to play the type of game that Hitch is trying to get these guys to play. I have never been a fan of that player. He isn't a guy who you can count on when the game gets tough. He likes easy ice and steers clear of the dirty, competitive areas on the ice.
See, this is a fundamental misunderstanding about Ken Hitchcock. Did every player on his team play tough in the corners? Hardly. Here's a scouting report for Jere Lehtinen: "Plays a soft game in the corners and can get pushed off the puck with relative ease." And Lehtinen was a significant contributor on Hitch's championship Stars team.

The Stars were a good team throughout the '90's, but they didn't become a championship team until they got a solid scoring center by the name of Joe Nieuwendyk. I'm sure Ken Hitchcock hasn't forgotten this.

Old
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I find most Phoenix-area architecture bland. But, the food selection was good (not as good as the Staples Center, better than average though) and the seating was done right. Team store was okay--better than Anaheim, not as good as Pittsburgh or Columbus.
Agree about the architecture in Phx. area. I much prefer the Coachella Valley in CA.

Quote:
See, this is a fundamental misunderstanding about Ken Hitchcock. Did every player on his team play tough in the corners? Hardly. Here's a scouting report for Jere Lehtinen: "Plays a soft game in the corners and can get pushed off the puck with relative ease." And Lehtinen was a significant contributor on Hitch's championship Stars team.
Who's scouting report is that? What a total IDIOT! How do you win the Selke 3 times if you are soft in the corners? Jere WAS fundanmental in the success they had in Dallas, but it was because of his two way play.

edit: You forgot to mention this part of the TSN's report: 'His defensive ability is beyond reproach. Has exceptional hockey sense. Always knows where to be on the ice and displays an excellent attitude.' Not sure how they can come up with 'defensive ability is beyond reproach' and then go with what you posted for flaws. Also, the guy winning the Selke three times tells me more than some yahoo writing scouting reports for tsn.

You are also aware that Hitch had Comrie in philly and he lasted all of 21 games, right?

Quote:
The Stars were a good team throughout the '90's, but they didn't become a championship team until they got a solid scoring center by the name of Joe Nieuwendyk. I'm sure Ken Hitchcock hasn't forgotten this.
You can't seriously be alluding even a little bit that Mike Comrie=Neiuwendyk (I don't really think you are, but trying to reference that the jackets need more scoring/playmaking from the middle, which I agree with. Mike Comrie is not the guy to help this team get better as a group over long term--now way) Yes, Comrie will put up some points, but he is NOBODY to build your team around. Let's see where he is in January.

It also didn't hurt that they had Hatcher, Zubov, Modano, Belfour, Hull, Sydor, Langenbrunner, Matvichuk, Carbanneau, Reid, in Dallas. Neiuwendyk wasn't as good of a scorer as Iginla was (who was involved in that trade) but he was a great leader which was the big reason they got him.

If Comrie was this great centerman, a. why hasn't he won anything, b. why is he on his 5th team?, c. why didn't Ottawa resign him? They had the money. Comrie is of the exact same ilk as Perrault for me so it is not much of a surprise that we disagree on this player as well.

Last edited by hashmarks: 10-09-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old
10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
jagpanzer

Berard signs with the Isles:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220232&hubname=nhl

Between Berard and AJ they are starting to stock up on old Jackets D-men. Perhaps we could trade them Wescott as well.

Old
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagpanzer View Post

Between Berard and AJ they are starting to stock up on old Jackets D-men. Perhaps we could trade them Wescott as well.
What a hodge podges of players they have there. I don't like their team one bit.

Old
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
jagpanzer

Quote:
What a hodge podges of players they have there. I don't like their team one bit.
Yeah - I'm not sure what their plan is. Besides building everything around your goalie for the next 14 years. Though the Comrie pickup is paying off early.

Old
10-09-2007, 05:07 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagpanzer View Post

1 yr. 725k.

Old
10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
They do have a great coach.

Old
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Who's scouting report is that? What a total IDIOT! How do you win the Selke 3 times if you are soft in the corners? Jere WAS fundanmental in the success they had in Dallas, but it was because of his two way play.

edit: You forgot to mention this part of the TSN's report: 'His defensive ability is beyond reproach. Has exceptional hockey sense. Always knows where to be on the ice and displays an excellent attitude.' Not sure how they can come up with 'defensive ability is beyond reproach' and then go with what you posted for flaws. Also, the guy winning the Selke three times tells me more than some yahoo writing scouting reports for tsn.
You can play two-ways without battling in the corners. The conventional wisdom around here makes it sound as if Ken Hitchcock is Don Cherry, Jr. Its b.s., plain and simple. If Hitchcock had run his teams as some seem to think with nothing but a bunch of two-way forwards with limited scoring potential, he would have never hoisted the Cup.

Quote:
You are also aware that Hitch had Comrie in philly and he lasted all of 21 games, right?
I'm aware that Comrie was traded in a move that got Philly a goaltender they desperately needed at the time. I'm also aware that Ken Hitchcock spoke glowingly of Comrie on his arrival in Philly.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...7-comrie_x.htm

Quote:
You can't seriously be alluding even a little bit that Mike Comrie=Neiuwendyk (I don't really think you are, but trying to reference that the jackets need more scoring/playmaking from the middle, which I agree with. Mike Comrie is not the guy to help this team get better as a group over long term--now way)
No, they are not the same player, but we do need scoring up the middle. I'm not worried about the long term--and signing Comrie to a one-year deal would not have been a long-term move.

Quote:
Yes, Comrie will put up some points, but he is NOBODY to build your team around. Let's see where he is in January.
Who's talking about building a team around him? This team has a short-term need at center. Comrie would have been as good of a stop gap as any other.

Quote:
It also didn't hurt that they had Hatcher, Zubov, Modano, Belfour, Hull, Sydor, Langenbrunner, Matvichuk, Carbanneau, Reid, in Dallas. Neiuwendyk wasn't as good of a scorer as Iginla was (who was involved in that trade) but he was a great leader which was the big reason they got him.
Umm...yeah, that's what it takes to win a championship, a very solid team from top to bottom. Point being? As for Iginla, he never played a single game for Dallas, so it wasn't as if they were giving up scoring at the time when they traded him--they needed someone to help them win THEN and Iginla was not yet to that level (it took him 5 years after the trade to pass Nieuwendyk in points).

Quote:
If Comrie was this great centerman, a. why hasn't he won anything, b. why is he on his 5th team?, c. why didn't Ottawa resign him? They had the money. Comrie is of the exact same ilk as Perrault for me so it is not much of a surprise that we disagree on this player as well.
a. I guess Adam Oates was a crappy center in your opinion? b. Again, I'll point out Adam Oates. Or Chris Drury (currently on his fourth team). Or the king of moving, Mike Sillinger. Its not always the players choice--and Comrie did spend a good span of time in Phoenix. c. I don't know why Ottawa decided not to sign him...other than the fact that they are pushing close to the cap with their re-negotiation of Heatley and Fisher's deals being a priority. But, if you're insinuating folks there thought he was a bad teammate, take a look at this gem from the playoffs. http://www.topix.net/content/cp/2976...38430991423722

Old
10-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Our old friend Letowski just got smoked by someone on his own team. Seems like his streak of getting crushed every game is intact for today.

Old
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
JrussJacket

Letow got creamed there WOW! hope he's ok

Carolina's powerplay is unreal right now....4 pp goals tonight and their just waxing the leafs 6-1. Meltdown in Maple Leaf country!

Old
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
Letow got creamed there WOW! hope he's ok

Carolina's powerplay is unreal right now....4 pp goals tonight and their just waxing the leafs 6-1. Meltdown in Maple Leaf country!
Yep, too bad Toskala is going to get most of the blame even though the majority of the goals he had no chance on.

Old
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You can play two-ways without battling in the corners. The conventional wisdom around here makes it sound as if Ken Hitchcock is Don Cherry, Jr. Its b.s., plain and simple. If Hitchcock had run his teams as some seem to think with nothing but a bunch of two-way forwards with limited scoring potential, he would have never hoisted the Cup.
Everyone comes with a different skillset, it isn't about having a group of grinders, it is getting everyone committed to playing for the goalie. The knock on Mike is that he plays the game on the move and he isn't committed to those things. When the game is on the line, Mike has never made that committment. It is also why Ottawa played him as a right winger.

Quote:
I'm aware that Comrie was traded in a move that got Philly a goaltender they desperately needed at the time. I'm also aware that Ken Hitchcock spoke glowingly of Comrie on his arrival in Philly.
You are right, they got lucky and got and got out from under that deal. He is a good little player, no doubt that Hitch has positive things to say about him, but the problem is that over the lenght of a season is that he can't do the job on his own. Nobody said he was a bad player.

Quote:
No, they are not the same player, but we do need scoring up the middle. I'm not worried about the long term--and signing Comrie to a one-year deal would not have been a long-term move.
Maybe so, but I also can see full well why they didn't bother with him and like I said I do not have any remorse about not signing him.

Quote:
Umm...yeah, that's what it takes to win a championship, a very solid team from top to bottom. Point being?
Point being is that you tried to make it sound like they brought Newie (a scoring center) in and THAT is why they started winning championships--truth is Newie was there in '95-'96 and was a part of the build, not a guy one year stop gap who put them immediately over the hump.

Quote:
As for Iginla, he never played a single game for Dallas, so it wasn't as if they were giving up scoring at the time when they traded him--they needed someone to help them win THEN and Iginla was not yet to that level (it took him 5 years after the trade to pass Nieuwendyk in points).
Like I said, Newie was brought there to be a leader, not a stop gap center like Mike Comrie as you are suggesting.

Ottawa didn't resign him because he struggles over the course of the long season and especially in the playoffs. If Mike was bigger, he could potentially be a effective player over the long term, at 5'8, 180 and a limited competitive level, he is waht he is--much like Savard. Guys who can put up points, but really can't be relied upon over the long haul. Who said anything about him being a bad teammate?

I have no idea what type of hyperbolic leap you are trying to make linking this conversation to excellent and effective players like Oates and Drury.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Ottawa didn't resign him because he struggles over the course of the long season and especially in the playoffs. If Mike was bigger, he could potentially be a effective player over the long term, at 5'8, 180 and a limited competitive level, he is waht he is--much like Savard. Guys who can put up points, but really can't be relied upon over the long haul. Who said anything about him being a bad teammate?

I have no idea what type of hyperbolic leap you are trying to make linking this conversation to excellent and effective players like Oates and Drury.

Its not a hyperbolic leap at all it exposes your own ludicrous comments that somehow a guy who hasn't won a championship or has played on 3+ teams automatically is of little or no value.

If you're comparing Comrie to Marc Savard, oh please, let us have a player that "sucks" that bad. Savard puts up 90 plus points. We've never had a guy put up 80. If everyone had to be 6'3", 235, Dan Fritsche wouldn't be in the league (nor would Markus Naslund, Sean Avery, Andy McDonald). For that matter, I guess Joe Mullen isn't Hall-worthy at less than 6' and 200 lbs. even if he did score 502 career goals.

You talk about faith in Hitch, but your faith seems to be limited to his ability to coach guys with ready-made for a certain system. Which makes me question, how good of a coach is a guy who can only coach one certain type of player or one certain type of system? And, from what I can tell, though that certainly has been his reputation, its far from the truth and Hitchcock himself is adapting to coach what he has instead of what he might wish he had. Thank god he's not replicating the Legion of Doom (which failed to win a Championship) as it sounds like you would personally prefer.

Old
10-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I shook my head as I flipped over to the Rangers Islanders game only to see Bryan Berard score a PP goal almost immediately.

Old
10-11-2007, 12:05 AM
CapnCornelius

This is interesting. The "complete list" of NHL stats for GAA.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?serv...eGAALeaderList

Neither CBJ goaltender is listed--interesting since Pascal would presently be leading the league.

Old
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
hashmarks

Yes, comparing Adam Oates and Chris Drury to Mike Comrie makes perfect sense

Quote:
You talk about faith in Hitch, but your faith seems to be limited to his ability to coach guys with ready-made for a certain system.
It has nothing to do with his ability to coach, it has to do with a players willingness to buy in. Comrie has never been a guy who is going to go all in, so why bother wasting time and money on a guy who you are going to have to push to get a fraction of what you need team-wise for a year?

Quote:
Which makes me question, how good of a coach is a guy who can only coach one certain type of player or one certain type of system?
Not very good, but I have no idea what that has to do with Hitch or my belief in him.

Quote:
And, from what I can tell, though that certainly has been his reputation, its far from the truth and Hitchcock himself is adapting to coach what he has instead of what he might wish he had.
Absolutely he is, and he always has. You are stating these things in an effort to try to make it seem like I don't have faith in Hitch--not the case at all and you know it. It has EVERYTHING to do with Comrie and my lack of belief in him. The guy puts up some points in the first few games and you asked the question does anyone wish we signed him as our top center. My answer of absolutely not stands for the reasons I have given--they all have to do with Comrie and nothing to do with Hitch's ability.

Quote:
Thank god he's not replicating the Legion of Doom (which failed to win a Championship) as it sounds like you would personally prefer.
You know, I didn't watch a lot of the flyers back in those days, but from what I understand they were unstoppable. If they played for the goalie like Hitch demands of his players, then why not?

Mike Comrie, on the other hand I have seen plenty, and like I said, I'll pass. He hasn't done anything in his career that a boatload of players don't do every year. Good little player, but not top line center material, too small to be effective when the game gets rich.

Last edited by hashmarks: 10-11-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old
10-11-2007, 07:16 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I shook my head as I flipped over to the Rangers Islanders game only to see Bryan Berard score a PP goal almost immediately.
And? We are supposed to regret not signing that cancer because he scored a goal on a 5 on 3?

Old
10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Thought this was kind of funny. Watching game highlights at NHL.com, and the Pitt-Mtl highlights are with Montreals French broadcast team.

Old
10-11-2007, 11:12 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You know, I didn't watch a lot of the flyers back in those days, but from what I understand they were unstoppable. If they played for the goalie like Hitch demands of his players, then why not?
Hmmm...because the Legion of Doom never won a Cup so they were hardly "unstoppable". Nor did Don Cherry's gooned up version of the Big Bad Bruins. Even a team like Anaheim who is know for its rough and tumble style of play has a guy like Andy McDonald who has speed and skill--or for that matter Scott Niedermayer who isn't exactly the most imposing physical specimen. The fact of the matter is that this "size matters" version of hockey you seem so fond of does not win championships. Inevitably when you build a team of bulked up forwards, you become slow. Just take a look at Anaheim this year versus last. They've added size but lost skill and speed. And the results are less than impressive.

Old
10-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
And? We are supposed to regret not signing that cancer because he scored a goal on a 5 on 3?
Not at all. I was just shaking my head at him actually scoring a goal. I didn't even know he could still do it.

Old
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
darrmd

Game winner too

Old
10-11-2007, 04:06 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Just an FYI,

At this point (after 3 games) we are the only team to have scored on Minny. They also faced Chicago and Edmonton. Not feeling too bad about that one.

Old
10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Just an FYI,

At this point (after 3 games) we are the only team to have scored on Minny. They also faced Chicago and Edmonton. Not feeling too bad about that one.
And Minny is the only team to have scored on us...

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that....

Old
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
5StringBuzz

[QUOTE=blahblah;10734092]And Minny is the only team to have scored on us...
QUOTE]

...but not on their power plays...

Closed Thread