HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Finally Over

Old
09-29-2007, 09:19 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Preseason Finally Over

Just thought I'd make this thread for us to praise some players and call out others for bad performances this pre season.

I'm looking specifically on how Stevens coaching was so far. Did it look better than last year?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I liked the fighting. Niittymaki sucked, no one can deny it or make excuses. Carter was mostly invisible, something that troubles me.

Only 4 injuries, 5 if you include Timonen's groin...could've been worse, right?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:19 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I liked the fighting. Niittymaki sucked, no one can deny it or make excuses. Carter was mostly invisible, something that troubles me.

Only 4 injuries, 5 if you include Timonen's groin...could've been worse, right?
At this stage of the game, anyone who says that if we had to choose, we should take Carter over Richards is an idiot. What's the excuse going to be this year? We've already played out the mono excuse, the "the whole team stunk" excuse and I forget what it even was before last season. All I heard about was how fit and bulked up Carter was coming into camp--too bad he's still invisible. Again, he's got until about Thanksgiving until I'll be officially done with him.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:24 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

If we learned nothing else this preseason, we learned that Jason Smith is a beast. And Briere/Gagne are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Lupul*

I'm still not worried about Carter. I'm pretty sure he'll develop into a great player, but maybe not this season or even with this team.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:28 PM
medicman

Reckin' thurday will tell all!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
I'm still not worried about Carter. I'm pretty sure he'll develop into a great player, but maybe not this season or even with this team.
He was playing without his linemates for a bit of the action, so I guess that can account for a small bit of his lack of points. I read in other game day threads he was actually playing the body and back checking, so there's a plus. Maybe he'll end up being our shut down center

Old
09-29-2007, 11:35 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
At this stage of the game, anyone who says that if we had to choose, we should take Carter over Richards is an idiot. What's the excuse going to be this year? We've already played out the mono excuse, the "the whole team stunk" excuse and I forget what it even was before last season. All I heard about was how fit and bulked up Carter was coming into camp--too bad he's still invisible. Again, he's got until about Thanksgiving until I'll be officially done with him.
mono excuse?
didn't the kid score 20 goals his rookie year?

no need for any excuses when a rookie scores 20 goals playing 2nd line w/ umberger (rookie) & dimatrakos (career AHLer)...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 11:44 PM
McNasty

Carter doesn't have me in panic mode just yet, but I think this is a big season for him.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 11:55 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
carter needs to see some consistency in his linemates, and then i think he'll hit a tear and start scoring in bunches. last year, he had to deal with the waste of space that was calder. he's already bouncing linemates and the preseason only just ended.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 12:09 AM
teddygmr

how about Jesse Boulerice as one of the big surprises of training camp!!!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 12:50 AM
TrojanDan46

Im high on the way Biron has been playing man. really impressed me.

TrojanDan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 01:11 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Just thought I'd make this thread for us to praise some players and call out others for bad performances this pre season.

I'm looking specifically on how Stevens coaching was so far. Did it look better than last year?
In preseason games:

Positive: Richards; Biron; J. Smith -- to a lesser degree Guenin.

Negative: Carter (but I'm still in his camp); Niittymaki; Rathje

Incomplete: Lupul.

As far as coaching, it is tough to grade a head coach in the preseason with all the lineup changes and trying to evaluate talent that normally wouldn't get ice time in certain settings. I'll wait until the regular season is about 1/4th underway before coming close to making a decision.

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

If Carter has another bad year, it'll make his contract situation easier...I think. Either he takes a minimal deal from us, or see what kind of offers come in when he hits free agency. If a sheet was sent over that would give us a 1st rounder, I'd highly consider it.

Of course that's jumping way ahead and predicting he has a non-spectacular year. I'm still in his corner too, it's just becoming a little concerning.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 06:08 AM
runkle

Richards looks to me like he wants and is ready to take the next step with his game, that was the best thing to come from the pre-season for me. I hoped to see the same indications from Carter but I am still waiting. It sucks that Lupul and Upshall both are out right now. I hope when Umberger and Lupul are back and playing on his wings things will improve there.

Biron has looked good. Briere and Gagne look better and better every game. I am glad Smith is on this team. Giroux, although gone now, has me looking forward to the end of this year, start of next when he gets his shot finally.

I am still worried about our defense a little. There were a few times this pre-season where the team looked a lot like the one we witnessed last year and it has me slightly concerned. The D they iced last night was better. But I think between Rathje/Hatcher/Gauthier/Smith we still have too many slow/immobile defensive defenseman that might be on the opening day roster. It will be interesting to see what Holmgren does about the D, if he does anything, in the next few days.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Yoshimitsu

Carter's development has been a little disconcerting, but I'm not ready to give up on him. We can't lose sight of the fact that he's still very young and has had to play through some unfortunate circumstances (injuries, bad linemates, different linemates, etc.) I agree with the poster who said that will be a big year for Carter. We all know he has the talent, now he just needs to put it together.

The rest of the players in camp really didn't surprise, IMO. We all knew that Niittymaki was inconsistent at best and struggled with his rebound control. That's why the Flyers couldn't count on him as a full-time starter. Biron played solid, though.

The Briere/Gagne tandem will have a big year.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:32 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkletm View Post
Richards looks to me like he wants and is ready to take the next step with his game, that was the best thing to come from the pre-season for me. I hoped to see the same indications from Carter but I am still waiting. It sucks that Lupul and Upshall both are out right now. I hope when Umberger and Lupul are back and playing on his wings things will improve there.
Agreed. I think Richards has taken the next step in his development and is ready to become the 2nd line centerman behind Briere. I'm convinced Richards is ready to have a monster year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 09:03 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Good: Briere, Gagne, Biron, Smith, and Boulerice

Bad: Niittymaki, Rathje, Hartnell (did absolutely nothing to impress me)

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i agree with all the posters talking about how good richards has been this preseason. he's been a monster offensively and defensively. maybe they can move richards to #2 center and put carter on his wing?

hartnell-richards-carter might be a pretty good secondary scoring unit.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
christ, it's the preseason... relax. he did score 20 goals as a rookie playing the majority of the time with Umberger and Dimitrakos. had a craptastic shooting year last year.

if you want to see another example of the same thing happening to a young player, check out Gagne's statistics. had the very same shooting % problem then worked it out and it started to go in.

that being said, i remain convinced he should be a wing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Jester

people... last year this time we were stoked about the CCR line. remember how that turned out?

it's the PRESEASON and means squat 2 months from now.

Old
09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
RoDu

Richards looked pretty decent on the point last night. Do you think they'll still try Upshall and Lupul up there when they get back?

Old
09-30-2007, 11:28 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Richards looked pretty decent on the point last night. Do you think they'll still try Upshall and Lupul up there when they get back?
looks like Richards played himself into that position to me

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
looks like Richards played himself into that position to me
i still think he can be a very good half-board guy on the 2nd unit... not sure i really want him on the point just because i think he can be very effective distributing and seeing the ice.

his lack of speed makes me nervous on the point as well... i don't like slower forwards back there just because when they do screw up (which they will playing out of position)... catching up is important.

Old
09-30-2007, 01:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

What I want to see is who is going to be sent to the Phantoms and who is going to be waived all together.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote