HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Gear stores in NYC

Old
09-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Henrik_of_Jönköping

vCash: 500
Hockey Gear stores in NYC

Are there any good hockey gear/ equipment stores in the NYC area? Not the regular fan-apperal stores but stores with real equipment and preferably goalie-eq.

/ Henrik

Henrik_of_Jönköping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

In the city, I think the only one that could really even qualify outside of a Sports Authority/other chain stores that wouldn't have what I'm guessing you want is probably Gerry Crosby's just outside of MSG, and even that one is very limited in what they have.

If you travel a bit up in the northern part of NY or out on the island I think you would have better luck, particularly in the North-East area of NY, quite a few of the big online hockey stores have their main shops there.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
swammerhead

"Wonderland Sports" is a hockey equipment store at Chelsea Piers that has some the latest gear.

Here's a link:

http://www.chelseapiers.com/srwonderland.htm

Hope that helps.

swammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Tikkanese

I bought all my stuff at Paragon Sports just north of Union Square. They have a pretty good selection. I've also had good luck with online sites like Hockey Giant if I already know what I want.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
broadwayblue

paragon has a decent selection.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Wonderland is the most expensive hockey store I've ever seen. I would go try on gear, see what you like and then go buy it online.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Wonderland is the most expensive hockey store I've ever seen. I would go try on gear, see what you like and then go buy it online.
nothing about Chelsea Piers would be mistaken for "discount."

Old
09-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik_of_Jönköping View Post
Are there any good hockey gear/ equipment stores in the NYC area? Not the regular fan-apperal stores but stores with real equipment and preferably goalie-eq.

/ Henrik
If you're in a rush, Paragon is probably you're best bet. But I used to order all my hockey gear online when I lived in the city.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post

This is why many pro-shops are closing. If you are somebody who habitually does this then you might be surprised to find pro-shops charging a "fitting fee" to protect business.

In the future, good luck to you when you show up at the rink with one elbow pad, or without your pants and no pro-shop to help you out.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
This is why many pro-shops are closing. If you are somebody who habitually does this then you might be surprised to find pro-shops charging a "fitting fee" to protect business.

In the future, good luck to you when you show up at the rink with one elbow pad, or without your pants and no pro-shop to help you out.
Well, that's the way it is these days. It's no different for electronics, household goods, or airplane tickets. If the pro-shops are going to stay in business they'll have to learn to find ways to compete, just like every other business. Such is life.

Personally I'm willing to pay a few dollars more to support my local vendor...but I'm not paying through the nose. That's just stupid.

Old
09-30-2007, 08:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Exactly, I always find equipment so much cheaper online. Higher Prices + Tax = No shop for me.

If the prices are the same and I only have to pay tax then that usually works out less than shipping, but that's rarely the case.

Pro-shops usually work best in rinks due to the fact that lots of players will need some sort of equipment at the last second and will run to the pro-shop to buy it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote