HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker View Post

It's sad how much Labarbera has done for this team and how little he is appreciated for it. IMO.
Tell me, Deeker. Just what has LOLBarbera done for the Kings? Not the Monarchs - The team that pays his salary - The KINGS? What exactly has he accomplished which makes you hold him in such high regard?

Quote:
You guys think every player in the league has to be Corsby and Brodeur, or you're not satisfied.

Old
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Tell me, Deeker. Just what has LOLBarbera done for the Kings? Not the Monarchs - The team that pays his salary - The KINGS? What exactly has he accomplished which makes you hold him in such high regard?

Beauty in all honesty outside of Luongo which goalie would have given this team any chance at the playoffs this year playing behind this craptastic "system" the Kings seem to play?

Old
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
deeker*

Quote:

solidified the position, and given them the chance to win. Stolen a few games.

Let's put it like this, I doubt that he has been pulled 5 times this season. Pretty remarkable on this ****ty last place team. That should tell you something, but it won't, I'm not sure why you even ask, it's pretty easy to see that few people agree with you.

He is right in the middle of the field in GAA, averaged in with goalies who have played a lot less, and on MUCH more defensively sound teams... that should tell you something too... but it won't...

now here's where you say "I don't give a ****, he sucks!" without justifying your OPINION.

Don't ask me why I'm feeding the troll... and you should count yourself real lucky you haven't been banned yet, I'm one warning away for much less, but that's because I have a little snitch who follows me around reporting me for everything/anything because he can't handle it on the board.

Old
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Beauty in all honesty outside of Luongo which goalie would have given this team any chance at the playoffs this year playing behind this craptastic "system" the Kings seem to play?
I've never said that any goaltender could have "rescued" this team with the way they've played all season long and propelled them into the playoffs. My gripe(s) with Labarbera are in regards to his abilities (or lack thereof) as a goaltender at the NHL level. If any goaltender was able to steal enough games for us at this point to put us in a playoff spot, that goaltender would have to deserve Hart trophy consideration.

Old
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
solidified the position, and given them the chance to win. Stolen a few games.
Which games exactly has he "stolen?" Please enlighten me.

Quote:
Let's put it like this, I doubt that he has been pulled 5 times this season. Pretty remarkable on this ****ty last place team. That should tell you something, but it won't, I'm not sure why you even ask, it's pretty easy to see that few people agree with you.
I am quite sure he has been pulled more than 5 times. I think even Labarbera fans would agree with that.

Quote:
He is right in the middle of the field in GAA, averaged in with goalies who have played a lot less, and on MUCH more defensively sound teams... that should tell you something too... but it won't...
That may be the case, but it doesn't excuse him from the fact that he constantly allows questionable goals that most NHL goaltenders would not have allowed. That should tell you something... but it won't.

Quote:
Don't ask me why I'm feeding the troll... and you should count yourself real lucky you haven't been banned yet, I'm one warning away for much less, but that's because I have a little snitch who follows me around reporting me for everything/anything because he can't handle it on the board.
Banned for what? Are we not allowed to be critical of players anymore? Are you close to being banned for stupidity? Good work, keep it up.

Old
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
I've never said that any goaltender could have "rescued" this team with the way they've played all season long and propelled them into the playoffs. My gripe(s) with Labarbera are in regards to his abilities (or lack thereof) as a goaltender at the NHL level. If any goaltender was able to steal enough games for us at this point to put us in a playoff spot, that goaltender would have to deserve Hart trophy consideration.
Id say his save % and to an extent his GAA are a testament of his abilities in the NHL. For playing behind a defense thats folds easier than a wet napkin his number arent that bad. Im not going to say he doesnt give up bad goals because all goalies do but on the other hand hes gave the team a chance in more games than hes singlehandedly lost.

Old
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Are you serious?
Yes, I am. I think most people agree he's an adequate backup. I also think most people would love for the Kings to develop a true #1 for the long haul. While waiting, pick up a rental for a couple of seasons.

Old
02-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

An honest question for all Kings fans reading this thread -

If the season ended today and the Kings clinched the 8th seed with Laberbera playing exactly the same (allowing the exact same goals, but suppose the Kings also scored enough to win enough games to make it into the playoffs) would you be comfortable going into the playoffs with him in net?

Old
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
An honest question for all Kings fans reading this thread -

If the season ended today and the Kings clinched the 8th seed with Laberbera playing exactly the same (allowing the exact same goals, but suppose the Kings also scored enough to win enough games to make it into the playoffs) would you be comfortable going into the playoffs with him in net?
Absolutely.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
Absolutely.
So I guess you would be content with a first round exit as well then. Bravo for intellect!

Old
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
So I guess you would be content with a first round exit as well then. Bravo for intellect!
I don't think this current team is built for a playoff run anways and a first round exit would be expected if they just barely snuck into the playoffs. It would be motivation enough that they kids somehow managed to put this team into the playoffs. A first round exit would be ideal.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
I don't think this current team is built for a playoff run anways and a first round exit would be expected if they just barely snuck into the playoffs. It would be motivation enough that they kids somehow managed to put this team into the playoffs. A first round exit would be ideal.

Yeah, I'm sure the players and management would be thrilled with that notion. I've read some stupid **** from you people lately but that definitely takes the cake. That's signature material!

Old
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I guess some fans are contempt with seeing this team stuck in the eternal blackhole they have been in.

Old
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Put Me In Coach, That's My Quarterback!

Old
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I guess some fans are contempt with seeing this team stuck in the eternal blackhole they have been in.
Well, I'm sure most of the said "fans" haven't been around long enough to experience the years of futility that we have been accustomed to. It blows my mind how so many people here are willing to accept the mediocrity that fuels this team. They're probably the same people who continue to buy tickets and merchandise from the team.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure the players and management would be thrilled with that notion. I've read some stupid **** from you people lately but that definitely takes the cake. That's signature material!
I'm just trying to roll with the theme of this thread and keeping it popular. It seems to be working.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
I'm just trying to roll with the theme of this thread and keeping it popular. It seems to be working.
Sorry, you're not fooling anyone.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Well, I'm sure most of the said "fans" haven't been around long enough to experience the years of futility that we have been accustomed to. It blows my mind how so many people here are willing to accept the mediocrity that fuels this team. They're probably the same people who continue to buy tickets and merchandise from the team.
Well when you ask stupid ****ing question, you're gunna get stupid ****ing answers. And if this post is directed at me you would be dead wrong.

To play along with your "popular" thread, I'll ask you a question that you probably have been hoping someone would ask you already. If you had the keys right now to walk into Lombardi's office and take over his job what would you do with the goaltending RIGHT NOW to make it better? That way we can all make fun of you and tell you your proposals are redonkulous.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Put Me In Coach, That's My Quarterback!
Get your skates on. We're gunna make this thread a homerun.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Well when you ask stupid ****ing question, you're gunna get stupid ****ing answers. And if this post is directed at me you would be dead wrong.

To play along with your "popular" thread, I'll ask you a question that you probably have been hoping someone would ask you already. If you had the keys right now to walk into Lombardi's office and take over his job what would you do with the goaltending RIGHT NOW to make it better? That way we can all make fun of you and tell you your proposals are redonkulous.
First off, my question wasn't "stupid." If you think it was, I don't know what to tell you.

As for your question, what Lombardi should have done to address this problem in net is A) not have relied on a career minor leaguer to be his NHL starter and B) signed a veteran UFA goaltender last offseason (like Legace) and we wouldn't be in this mess.

Since he went the Cloutier route and didn't bother with Legace, I was hoping he would have signed Joseph in the offseason to a two year deal to hold things down until Bernier is ready to come in next year and play 20-30 games, while Joseph handled the rest.

I know Joseph had a rough outing in his start with Calgary the other night, but given a training camp and exhibition schedule I think he could have given us more stability in net than Labarbera and Aubin have given us thus far.

Now that being said, please feel free to tell me how "redonkulous" my answer is.

Old
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
A couple of questions for the LaBarbera supporters is if his contract was up after this season and you wanted to re-sign him how much would you pay him? 2nd question is out of all the teams in the NHL who's starting goalie would other teams trade straight up for LaBarbera?

Old
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

Now that being said, please feel free to tell me how "redonkulous" my answer is.
It was stupid to suggest that we would be making the playoffs with this team. 2nd of all you didn't read my question. If you don't remember it asked, what would you do for the goaltending situation "RIGHT NOW".

Old
02-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
It was stupid to suggest that we would be making the playoffs with this team. 2nd of all you didn't read my question. If you don't remember it asked, what would you do for the goaltending situation "RIGHT NOW".
It was a hypothetical question, genius. Just as yours is.

I answered the question as I saw fit - there is no solution RIGHT NOW, nor is there a need for one, seeing as though another losing season without a trip to the playoffs is in the cards. Lombardi and Crawford made their bed and they have to sleep in it. All we can hope for (well, the realists anyway) is that the organization gets their act together in the offseason and realizes that one of our biggest problems is in net, as it is every year it seems.

Old
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
A couple of questions for the LaBarbera supporters is if his contract was up after this season and you wanted to re-sign him how much would you pay him? 2nd question is out of all the teams in the NHL who's starting goalie would other teams trade straight up for LaBarbera?
Holmqvist
Khabibulin (considering his salary)
Mason
Budaj or Theodore (whichever is the #1)

Probably Gerber and Toskala too. I'd even think about Kolzig.

As for the salary for a new contract, I wouldn't know, after a season like the Kings just had, he'd be cheap. Thomas makes 1M$, I guess Labs could sign for about that.

Old
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
Holmqvist
Khabibulin (considering his salary)
Mason
Budaj or Theodore (whichever is the #1)

Probably Gerber and Toskala too. I'd even think about Kolzig.

As for the salary for a new contract, I wouldn't know, after a season like the Kings just had, he'd be cheap. Thomas makes 1M$, I guess Labs could sign for about that.
I dont mean to interupt this incredible debate, but Toskala and Gerber are doing very well in their respective teams.

Toskala has kept the Laughs out of dead last up until now, while Gerber has only just cooled off his incredible hot streak, which included his usurping of #1 from Emery

Closed Thread