HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Viper29

vCash: 500
Labarbra reminds me of ole "Red light" Andre Racicot <sp> back in the late 90's with Montreal. Got the best tan on the back of his neck all winter long from the red goal light going off all the time behind him.

Old
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He reminds me more of another former great AHL/IHL goaltender who was nothing more than a third stringer in the NHL; Fab-Five-Hole Freddie Chabot!

Old
10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Viper29

HAHAHA, Freddie Chabot!!! Thats hilarious, i remember him
Man this goalie situation is making all of us sick and delirious!

Old
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Positives:

a) I thought JLB's second game was an improvement from the first. He had a great side-to-side save in the first period.

b)Also, three of the goals came off of bad turnovers

Negatives:

a) On the two non-turnover goals, you could've driven a tank through his legs.

b) Since they weren't unstoppable shots, I have almost no doubt that Bernier (or any other legitimate NHL goalie) would've stopped at least two of the three turnover goals

Bottom line: Still too early (2 games) to say he has no business on the Kings or in the NHL. The second game was an improvement IMO becasue I think a "starting NHL goalie" should've stopped at least 2 of the goals that were given up in each game, but at least there were moments in the second game where I felt JLB made higher quality saves. Just the same, IMO it would have been hard to have a worse game than the first JLB start.

If he continues to improve at a rate equal to the change from game 1 to game 2 I'll be grabbing my pitchfork and a torch after 10 8-10 games!
A great side-to-side save created by his own typical drifting out of the crease while the puck is being played in front of him. If that puck went in, it would've been called a softy, hands down.

Old
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
CycloneLaunch

The Kings radio guys said it wasn't a great save, the Stars player just shot it into his glove.

Old
10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
The Kings radio guys said it wasn't a great save, the Stars player just shot it into his glove.
lol. I liken it more to when it appears that Modry did something good, but as Osprey would point it, it was Modry doing something good as a result of doing something horribly bad.

Old
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper29 View Post
Labarbra reminds me of ole "Red light" Andre Racicot <sp> back in the late 90's with Montreal. Got the best tan on the back of his neck all winter long from the red goal light going off all the time behind him.
Idea for Labs new nick name..."Red Light District"

Old
10-12-2007, 01:10 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Idea for Labs new nick name..."Red Light District"
A bit OT but apparently the Red Light District is getting shut down.

Old
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Yeah, it would have been 6-1 if Hagman didn't mistakenly shoot the puck into that small pocket of space LaBarbera's glove happened to occupy. LaBarbera couldn't have been covering more than 5% of the net. That wasn't a great save, that was a lousy shot.

He's played terrible, and his suckiness has only been overshadowed by the porous defense. Just because you smell a skunk while standing next to a pile of ****, doesn't mean the **** don't stink.

Old
10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
He's played terrible, and his suckiness has only been overshadowed by the porous defense. Just because you smell a skunk while standing next to a pile of ****, doesn't mean the **** don't stink.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
HawkeyeKnight*

bump

Old
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
johnjm22

Last 4 Games
.50 GAA .979 SV%

Total Numbers for the Season
3-2 2.26 GAA .913 SV% 1SO

Old
10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Where's our Beauty guy when we need him?

Old
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

I am glad to see him finally playing to what he is capable of. We'll see if he can continue with his stellar play. I'm rooting for him.

Old
10-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Before anyone gets too excited, these 3 games were against poor offensive clubs. The Kings were still turning the puck over a lot in their own zone. The real test will be against San Jose.

Old
10-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I want to see how he fares against a team like Detroit who always gives the Kings problems.

Old
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Before anyone gets too excited, these 3 games were against poor offensive clubs. The Kings were still turning the puck over a lot in their own zone. The real test will be against San Jose.
Quote:
I want to see how he fares against a team like Detroit who always gives the Kings problems.
Indeed. Labarbera's recent success has come against defensive oriented teams that were unable to exploit his weaknesses. It will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of SJ, Detroit, Colorado ect.

But regardless, his play has noticeably improved as of late, and credit should be given where credit is due.

Old
10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I think it's lame how people who rip players conveniently disappear when they're words come back at them. I see this with those who always rip the kings too, when we win they got nothign to talk about. Talk about lack of objectivity, people should be able to compliment and talk about all facets of the kings. And at the very least, gather the juevos to stand your ground and admit when ur wrong. That said, it's been a few games. I want to see him lose confidence again and see how he responds. Tha'ts the true test of an NHL goaltender...

Old
10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I think it's lame how people who rip players conveniently disappear when they're words come back at them. At least gather the juevos to stand your ground. That said, it's been a few games. I want to see him lose confidence again and see how he responds. Tha'ts the true test of an NHL goaltender...
Well in all honesty Labarbera did stink in those previous losses. Maybe he had to gain some confidence before he could step it up....Or maybe the defense realized it is hard to win a game when you let opposition player have repeated point blank shots on your goalie. Right now he is playing like he did at the beginning of the 2005-06 season. Let's hope he isn't derailed like he was back then.

Old
10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Osprey

I knew that someone would bump this.

LaBarbera has been playing better, but they've been games against teams that are weak when it comes to scoring. Jason hasn't had to make many lateral moves at all. When he has had to, he's looked just as bad as always at it, but, luckily, he's been bailed out by either good defense or the attacker flubbing with an empty net (one each happened last night). Let's wait until he faces a few teams which are good at moving the puck and scoring. I have a feeling that it won't be particularly pretty, but it goes without saying that I hope that I'm wrong.

Old
10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

LaBarbera and the whole defense has played very solid these games, I hope they will continue to do so.

Old
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I knew that someone would bump this.

LaBarbera has been playing better, but they've been games against teams that are weak when it comes to scoring. Jason hasn't had to make many lateral moves at all. When he has had to, he's looked just as bad as always at it, but, luckily, he's been bailed out by either good defense or the attacker flubbing with an empty net (one each happened last night). Let's wait until he faces a few teams which are good at moving the puck and scoring.
Is Dallas weak when it comes to scoring? Is Vancouver weak when it comes to scoring?

Old
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob-KingsVisnovsky View Post
Is Dallas weak when it comes to scoring? Is Vancouver weak when it comes to scoring?
Yes, yes they are.

Old
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob-KingsVisnovsky View Post
Yes and yes.

Old
10-26-2007, 04:15 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Yes and yes.
Really? I thought, at least, the Sedins were pretty good at it.....
But still if you look at the shots on goal, it were pretty much. Maybe not all that good shots, but credit our defense for that, which is a positive of course.

Closed Thread