HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmets

Old
09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Helmets

Hey guys, I haven't been on the ice in about 4 years and I'm looking to get back into it. I just recently got new skates which is one of the things I needed, now I basically just need a helmet. I'm working with a limited budget as I am a poor college student. Any suggestions for website for cheap hockey equipment or any suggestions as to what kind of helmet I should be looking into?

For websites I've found hockeymonkey.com, hockeyoverstock.com, discounthockey.com, and hockeygiant.com. This is what I'm looking at so far for helmets:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...s-m95-hlc.html

Not a big fan of Itech or the tinted visor but it's pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-bau...lmet-3500.html

Never had a Nike helmet but I do like Bauer and it's a reasonable price.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-helmet-692.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nhl-ccm-...elmet-892.html

Really cheap, but does that mean the product I'm getting is cheap as well?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nhl-ccm-...852-x-ray.html

Not sure I like the whole X-Ray thing.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbh3500hlmt.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/ccm692hlmt.html

http://www.hockeygiant.com/mism95hlmtsr.html

Never had a Mission helmet, price is a little higher than the rest, do you get what you pay for?

I'm a big fan of the Bauer 5000's but I haven't been able to find anything in my price range in my size.

Any suggestions?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Hugh Madbrough

I'd say yeah you definitely get what you pay for. I have a mission intake and I love it. It's more than you want to spend but it's worth it. For the prices the CCM helmets are nice.

I have one of these http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech95hel.html and it is ok. I wear it in one league I play in and it does the job. Can't beat that price either.

*Just noticed the sizes are very limited for the itech's. You can probably find one cheap somewhere.

Last edited by Hugh Madbrough: 09-26-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: hc95
Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
I'd say yeah you definitely get what you pay for. I have a mission intake and I love it. It's more than you want to spend but it's worth it. For the prices the CCM helmets are nice.

I have one of these http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech95hel.html and it is ok. I wear it in one league I play in and it does the job. Can't beat that price either.

*Just noticed the sizes are very limited for the itech's. You can probably find one cheap somewhere.
Yeah, I wish I had more money because those Mission Intake's look great. I had a CCM before and never had any trouble with it, for some reason never been too high on Itech's, but you've never had a problem with it?

Old
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
windflare

Mission Intake. Do itttttttttttttttttttt.

Just kidding. They are real good helmets - however, if you want something good for cheap, the Bauer 5000s and the CCM 892 Pro Stock helms are good ones that will last you quite a long time. Check Hockeygiant also for Bauer 5000s. The M95 is decent too.

If you've used CCMs before and they fit well, then go back to CCM. The 892 or 852 are both good helmets. Bauers fit slightly different from CCM, and some people find that to be a problem.

And get a cage.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:00 PM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post

http://www.hockeygiant.com/itchhc95.html sells that same Itech helmet for $14.50 every now and then, under clearance or weekly specials....

I've had one and never had any problems with it....

oh, and they had the Bauer5000 there as well. ($29.50) that should fit... unless you have an xl head.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau5ksehlmt.html

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
BigBearnier

whoops, didn't read the post before... o well..

ANd, i've gotta question, I've gotta Itech helmet and need to get a cage for it. Do I have to get an Itech cage? Or do other brands work?

Old
09-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
http://www.hockeygiant.com/itchhc95.html sells that same Itech helmet for $14.50 every now and then, under clearance or weekly specials....

I've had one and never had any problems with it....

oh, and they had the Bauer5000 there as well. ($29.50) that should fit... unless you have an xl head.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau5ksehlmt.html
Yep, that's the only one I could find for that price, unfortunately I'm not sure I really want a red helmet haha.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Old
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Mission Intake. Do itttttttttttttttttttt.

Just kidding. They are real good helmets - however, if you want something good for cheap, the Bauer 5000s and the CCM 892 Pro Stock helms are good ones that will last you quite a long time. Check Hockeygiant also for Bauer 5000s. The M95 is decent too.

If you've used CCMs before and they fit well, then go back to CCM. The 892 or 852 are both good helmets. Bauers fit slightly different from CCM, and some people find that to be a problem.

And get a cage.
You think definitely get a cage? To be honest, I know nothing about mens leagues, right now I'm getting stuff to go to skate and shoots at my school as they always have pick-up games and stuff but once I'm out of school I definitly want to get into some kind of mens league. Mens leagues don't typically require a cage, correct? Is getting a cage just a preference or what?

Old
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Best bet is to go try a helmet on....helmets are about as weird as skates in terms of fit. I went thru a couple before I found one that didn't squeeze my head in certain spots. I mean my Jofa 690 isn't the most pretty but definitely most comfortable for me.

Cages- you don't need the brand to match for whoever asked that. And some leagues require them, some don't so you better check when purchasing.

That said, there's a cheap place of helmets: www.hockey.lax.com Last I checked they still had Mission Intakes if that's what reallly works best for you for wayyyy under any other price.

And on that first helmet/shield combo you listed, the HLC visor isn't tinted think it's just the picture. Not a bad visor as it covers more of your face than some.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
You think definitely get a cage? To be honest, I know nothing about mens leagues, right now I'm getting stuff to go to skate and shoots at my school as they always have pick-up games and stuff but once I'm out of school I definitly want to get into some kind of mens league. Mens leagues don't typically require a cage, correct? Is getting a cage just a preference or what?
Preference. Dental work is expensive. An eye is priceless. Of course, you can take off the cage when you're just practicing, and screw it back on before games.

People may not be able to see your face as well, but hey, would you rather pay a coupla grand for some good dental work or 20 bucks for a cage, right? That, and cages don't matter to your vision once you get used to it, which takes about all of 5 minutes for most people.

Of course, it's your choice ultimately.

theCookieMonster: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/helmet-c...ty-charts.html
That's a chart for what cages are compatiable with which helmet. Find your helmet model in there, and you can see which cages fit on it. Hope that helps.

Old
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
BigBearnier

cages are for *****s.

jkjk, I wear a visor because, A.) it protects my eyes, and B.) it's much easier to see, IMO, than with a cage... with a cage I have a much harder time with my peripheral vision... visors are the way to go IMO...

and yea, thanks, unfortunately, that chart didn't have my helmet....
i may just get a new helmet altogether....

Last edited by BigBearnier: 09-26-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
cages are for *****s.

jkjk, I wear a visor because, A.) it protects my eyes, and B.) it's much easier to see, IMO, than with a cage... with a cage I have a much harder time with my peripheral vision... visors are the way to go IMO...

and yea, thanks, unfortunately, that chart didn't have my helmet....
i may just get a new helmet altogether....
You must not play defense...Playing D you need a cage in any semi serious league.
I used to try and block shots and play a physical game in front of the net without a cage. I got hit in the face with the puck twice, one in the chin and one broken nose.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:04 PM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
You must not play defense...Playing D you need a cage in any semi serious league.
I used to try and block shots and play a physical game in front of the net without a cage. I got hit in the face with the puck twice, one in the chin and one broken nose.

i was joking.

and no, i dont play Defence...

Old
09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
sc37

FYI, I do believe the chart is wrong....I've noted a few discreptancies with my helmet, and it's been discussed before where ppl have said it was wrong with their combos too.

And full face protection is the way to go....I had a visor for a while and yes I liked the air flow and open-ness of it all, but pucks, sticks, and elbows are like drawn to you. No need to risk it if you arn't being paid or if you don't have a nice insurance policy. So if vision is a problem, use a full or combo shield. Works just as well IMO...I'm using a combo and don't notice the bottom bars at all.

Oh yeah, FYI...keep those ear guards in too. Like I was saying with the visor, puck and etc. are attracted to the unprotected areas....so I took out my guards so I could hear better, well next thing you know I was lying on the ice dripping blood every where cause I took a deflected shot right into my ear. Just some food for thought in making a decision

Old
09-26-2007, 09:23 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
just a FYI, the two most popular helmets in the NHL are the NBH 4500 and the CCM 692/652. The intake is also high on the list but most don't have the same foam(EPP) that the retail model comes with.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Hugh Madbrough

yeah, the itech is fine. it's not as comfortable as the mission but it's not a bad helmet.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:08 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i have the mission intake myself i find it extremely comfortable. however some helmets aren't for everyone. i wanted an rbk but it didnt feel right.. best thing is just go and try on helmets and see what you like the best.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Get either a full shield like an Itech Concept II, A half visor half cage combo, or a full cage. If you aren't being payed to play hockey professionally you should always protect your entire face. Trust me, you'll thank me down the road.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use an Intake. I have a wider head and it seems to fit better than any other brand. One of my friends has a narrow head and the Intake is too wide; he likes the Bauer 5500 and RBK 6k. I'd recommend trying them on and getting the nicest helmet you can afford. What's $40 to protect your head?

For cages, check out the Bauer 8500. It's got a matte finish which isn't distracting and oval wires instead of round that are tougher and thinner. Great bargain for under $40.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Ok, if I don't go with a full cage, would it be smart to buy a helmet with a shield already on there (which I have found very few). Or would it be ok to just buy a helmet and then buy a shield seperately?

Old
09-29-2007, 06:20 PM
windflare

Quote:
Ok, if I don't go with a full cage, would it be smart to buy a helmet with a shield already on there (which I have found very few). Or would it be ok to just buy a helmet and then buy a shield seperately?
Definitely okay to buy seperate. Just make sure they fit, or you can ask some folks like the company reps via email, or folks over at MSH to see if they fit.

Old
09-29-2007, 10:57 PM
sc37

Just go to your LHS, it'll save you a lot of hassle since shields and cages come in different sizes too. I mean ppl can tell you if the cage fits on the helmet or not, but might not fit your face.

Old
10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Alright I have it narrowed down to the following helmets:

Mission M95 with HLC shield - $69.99
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...s-m95-hlc.html

CCM 692 - $39.99
http://www.hockeygiant.com/ccm692hlmt.html

CCM Pro HT 892 - $34.98
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nhl-ccm-...elmet-892.html

I figure the price for the M95 with the shield is a pretty solid price as I'm going to spend atleast that much by the time I buy one of the CCM's plus a shield. I'm not really sure I like the shield on the M95 though.

Can anybody tell me the difference between the 692 and the Pro HT 892?

Old
10-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Ducks

The pro HT is a better helmet than the other CCM one, Don't be fooled by the lower price and nifty colors. It's on clearance, as is much of the stuff at Hockey Monkey. Hockey Monkey actually is my local hockey store and I can generally recommend them for having really good prices.

That's besides the point though, the CCM pro is a good helmet, and for that price probably the one I'd go with, although the Mission M95 with a HLC shield fitted to it already for 70 bucks is a good deal too, and saves the hassle of trying to make sure a shield is compatible with it.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Jouale

just buy one second hand..they have plenty shops...why are you shopping for something online that you need to try on in person...only in america i guess...

Jouale is offline   Reply With Quote