HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Mara expectations???

Old
09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
vdB

vCash: 500
Paul Mara expectations???

picked this guy in my pool because ive been hearing/reading good things since he came to NY, but I never really took notice of the guy.

whats his role this year??? and how many points can you project for him?

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdB View Post
picked this guy in my pool because ive been hearing/reading good things since he came to NY, but I never really took notice of the guy.

whats his role this year??? and how many points can you project for him?
Hard to say. hes actually got a substantial skill set, but is very hard to figure out. he can fight, but doesnt, has an excellent shot, but seems reluctant (at times) to use it. can muscle guys out of the way, but sometimes doesnt. can lay huge hits but doesnt.

Honestly, if he were to harness his entire skill set, id say he could be a #2 in this league EASY. right now, id call him a ~good #6.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
vdB

you're telling me i picked a #6 defenseman???? awww what a waste of a pick.

Old
09-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdB View Post
you're telling me i picked a #6 defenseman???? awww what a waste of a pick.
yep....uhh, sorry lol.

well, based on my opinion anyway. ive never been impressed with what ive seen of him. perhaps other people will disagree. *shrugs* just giving you my thoughts.

Old
09-25-2007, 12:48 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Hard to say. hes actually got a substantial skill set, but is very hard to figure out. he can fight, but doesnt, has an excellent shot, but seems reluctant (at times) to use it. can muscle guys out of the way, but sometimes doesnt. can lay huge hits but doesnt.

Honestly, if he were to harness his entire skill set, id say he could be a #2 in this league EASY. right now, id call him a ~good #6.
Yeah after the game saturday i didnt know whether to hate him or love him. Hed make a terrible mistake, than a beautiful pass. Id say with his skill maybe its a confidence problem, but its hard to be sure.

I think playing in boston, where they made him a totally defensive Dman really messed with his brain. Hes a pure bred offensive defense, and if hed get his **** straight could be our PP QB and get many points.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

he did had a good fight, of course as a bruin. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ee2g3ANY4VA

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:58 AM
danroy33

If Rosival keeps playing this poorly, Mara is going to see a lot of power play time and with the likes of Drury, Gomez, and Jagr he may rack up quite a few points. Maybe it wasn't a bad fantasy move.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:00 AM
vdB

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
If Rosival keeps playing this poorly, Mara is going to see a lot of power play time and with the likes of Drury, Gomez, and Jagr he may rack up quite a few points. Maybe it wasn't a bad fantasy move.
ahaha thats what i like to hear.

Old
09-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
i absolutely hated the deployment they used on the 5 on 4 power plays today. they had rozy high on the left side, from there, hes never going to shoot it. all he can do is pass it back to his defensive partner, or down to drury down in his office. I like it when rozsival plays 3/4 of the way down.

after the big signings i showed how i want the first unit to be like...

I like the way this deployment is, Rozsival can be a shooter here, and though drury is playing on the reverse side, he is a great option for rozsival if the lane presents itself.

i dont like it when rozy is super high, it takes away his shot, which is annoying.

btw, here was my 2nd pp unit...

self explanatory.

SHOOT, and get rebounds.

Old
09-25-2007, 01:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
i absolutely hated the deployment they used on the 5 on 4 power plays today. they had rozy high on the left side, from there, hes never going to shoot it. all he can do is pass it back to his defensive partner, or down to drury down in his office. I like it when rozsival plays 3/4 of the way down.

I like the way this deployment is, Rozsival can be a shooter here, and though drury is playing on the reverse side, he is a great option for rozsival if the lane presents itself.

i dont like it when rozy is super high, it takes away his shot, which is annoying.

self explanatory.

SHOOT, and get rebounds.
Switch Hossa and put Callahan there.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
when you play that kind of an alignment, you need a big strong body to muscle his way and get rebounds. true in the new nhl, maybe not as much (gionta is proof of that when the devs play the umbrella) but i still am a believer in the rebound guys being big strong guys.

in the first unit, prucha is there because they arent a shoot and get rebound unit. hes there for the backdoor slam dunk, which actually would be where i would put callahan in, (or possibly replacing drury) if you really wanted him to get in the lineup. but, to me, not in the secondary setup.

Old
09-25-2007, 01:13 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
no no! hossa can use his size for rebounds. thats why he was great for like 3 weeks on the first line last year lol

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
no no! hossa can use his size for rebounds. thats why he was great for like 3 weeks on the first line last year lol
not that it really matters. my guess, rangers play the overload, like they did last year, but gomez just takes nylanders spot.

Old
09-25-2007, 01:27 AM
danroy33

Even in an overload system, the lack of a real point presence doesn't allow the puck to get through to the net enough. If nobody is in front or the puck isn't getting through then the rebounds are pointless. I still feel we need an offensive defenseman, but I am still bitter about Leetch

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Even in an overload system, the lack of a real point presence doesn't allow the puck to get through to the net enough. If nobody is in front or the puck isn't getting through then the rebounds are pointless. I still feel we need an offensive defenseman, but I am still bitter about Leetch
actually, the funny thing is, in that system, id think Rozy would be one of your primary offensive options. and hes probably got the best shot on the team. we saw it beautifully in the playoffs against the thrashers a few times. draw everyone to jagr side, then swing it around for a one-timer by rozsival. or the down low man, Nylander/Gomez can bring it forward, and thread the needle to him for a wide open shot (assuming he creeps down low on the play)

the overload is annoying because you need to pass quickly, and often to find the right play, but sometimes it can be very very effective.

Personally I like the umbrella. thats just me though.

Old
09-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:

self explanatory.

SHOOT, and get rebounds.

I would switch Gomez and Mara. Mara is a lefty -- he can one-time Gomez's passes. Then again, Shanny is righty, which makes that tough. Hmm...

You need to set something up to succeed, and Shanny on his backhand just won't do much. Remember Leetch-Zubov back in '94? They played the opposite side so they could one-time shots. I like having a lefty on RW and a righty on LW on the PP specifically, with a body in front creating havoc.

So my power plays would be:

Prucha-Gomez-Jagr with Straka and Roszival
Shanny-Drury-Avery with Mara and maybe Pock? Depending on who makes the team on D.

Just two more cents...

Leetchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm expecting a solid season out of Mara. I could certainly see him getting some good PP time, and 35-40 points is not entirely out of the question. I'd be happy with 25-30 points and solid defense, with him banging people around.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie View Post
I would switch Gomez and Mara. Mara is a lefty -- he can one-time Gomez's passes. Then again, Shanny is righty, which makes that tough. Hmm...

You need to set something up to succeed, and Shanny on his backhand just won't do much. Remember Leetch-Zubov back in '94? They played the opposite side so they could one-time shots. I like having a lefty on RW and a righty on LW on the PP specifically, with a body in front creating havoc.

Shanny-Drury-Avery with Mara and maybe Pock? Depending on who makes the team on D.

Just two more cents...

drury can play the point and i would rather have him there than pock and put callahan on that second unit

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie View Post

Just two more cents...

drury can play the point and i would rather have him there than pock and put straka on that second unit

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
drury can play the point and i would rather have him there than pock and put straka on that second unit
I actually would put Dubinsky there if you move Drury to the point.

Leetchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Jay88*

Mara?

I would say if he was to play a full season with a good 15 minutes per game and PP time, I would sayatleast 30 poonts. I mean if he cant do that,well then IMO he is all but useless, and could be replaced by Pock easily. Who i persoanlly like and think can be a # 3/4 d-man, he has got excellent Offensive skills and shows it just about every game he plays, but alot dont feel as I do, unfortunatley

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

i picked him too, i see 12 or 13 goals 25 to 30 helpers & a plus 8

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

self explanatory.

SHOOT, and get rebounds.
dude, where is Gomer?
whoops, never mind my bad, can he play the point??
no tyutin

Last edited by The Thomas J.*: 10-03-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Blindness
The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

While this thread turned into an interesting PP thread (thanks to inferno)...
Mods, can we just get a fantasy questions thread? I'm getting sick of all these threads when there is a dedicated Fantasy board for just that. I can see people wanting to get "first hand" scouting reports but we've averaged one of these threads like every other day the past week. Being that most fantasy leagues have completed their drafts, what's really the pointing of these questions? Do they want someone to blame when things go badly? "Damn you Ranger fans, I thought Gomez was gonna play with Jagr. His stats suck!" Or maybe I'm alone on this one. Does anyone else agree with me?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 06:17 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
i picked him too, i see 12 or 13 goals 25 to 30 helpers & a plus 8
Wow, wow, wow are you shooting for something that won't happen.

Realistically, cut your numbers in half: 5-7g/15a.

First of all, he's currently out of the PP. Roszival and other forwards are above him on the powerplay depth chart.

Although the Ranger's secondary scoring has improved boatloads, Malik/Rozsival are still linked to Jagr's/1st line icetime.

Lastly, he's paired w/ Staal (at least initially). Even though Marc projects to have a great career, one has to think their icetime will be limited initially and maybe decrease if they struggle defensively.

Point to a career year in Phoenix all you want, but Mara isn't the go-to dman in NYR. Expectations posted here are very optimistic.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote