HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier Waived!!!

Old
10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am surprised Homer could not get anything for him...
I dont think the rumors of the Flyers waiving him all summer helped his value. Everyone knew he was one of 2 of 3 guys who would be waived.
Dont think the Flyers are going to move Umberger. Not with Upshalls injury and not with not knowing how strong Lupuls wrist is going to be a the start of the season.
Im guessing Umberger will be out for the roadtrip anyway.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I can hear it now. Peter Peter Peter Peter!

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Needed the cap space, simple as that. This clears the way for Forsberg to come back. It worries me about Rathje though.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Mythology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1) I don't know... the 1st unit should be very strong with Gagne, Briere, Knuble, and Timonen with someone manning the point with him... possibly Picard given his good shot. We can also construct a very good 2nd unit at forward, just need to figure out the points. I would be very disappointed if this PP was below the middle of the league.

2) No, I don't want Kapanen anywhere near the point... every shot he takes is 10 feet over the net. From the games I've seen, I think "Guenin has clearly outplayed Picard" is a tough statement to make. Guenin plays an extremely simple game... which means he isn't going to standout as much as Picard for both good and bad. Personally I feel Picard could use another year in the AHL, but the lack of any offensive threat from the blueline outside of Timonen is disconcerting to me.

3) In Smith, Hatcher, and Kukkonen we have stable defense first defensemen on the roster. Smith and Hatcher, in particular, are already offensive holes. Coburn should develop a good two-way game, but he's a 2nd year player and I don't think you can expect something like 40 pts from him... personally, i think he's going to be a 35 pt defenseman throughout his career. Timonen, of course, should provide plenty of offense.

Guenin will bring the same qualities as Smith and Hatcher, but to a lesser degree... beyond his righty stick, he doesn't bring anything to the table that this roster is lacking as of today.

Picard does... so, while i think he prolly needs another year of AHL duties, he fits a need on this roster in a big way. He can play the PP and push the play up ice a bit and brings a very good shot from the point onto the roster. His game needs to mature, but all that being said he brings elements to the roster that Guenin simply doesn't.

that being said, they're both on two-way deals and can easily be moved back and forth while we figure it out. i will also admit that Guenin has never struck me as a NHL defenseman and i haven't been convinced differently in the preseason (nor would i be).
I guess it is all a matter of opinion and we will find out soon enough, but I was very impressed with Guenin this pre-season and did feel he played better than Picard. I think that Guenin’s simple game translates better to a quicker adjustment to the NHL and of the two Picard would benefit more from more full time AHL experience. Picard has seemed to struggle to me when looking to play a more offensive game for the Flyers, he was better at just keeping it simple. I am not sure if he is ready to be the offensive defenseman people are looking for even if he has the better talent to do it.

Opening night in Calgary against a Mike Keenan team the more physical, simple game of Guenin might also make sense. Just a consideration.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
could this also be clearing a little room for downie so we can get his suspension over with? i'm still a little gray on the specifics of that.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Anyways, good that Gauthier won't be on the team on opening night. He sucks, and I'm glad the team saw it that way. He is not an NHL defenseman, at least in my view.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by GKJ: 10-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I wouldn't mind the Devils claiming him if they have a chance.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I wouldn't mind the Devils claiming him if they have a chance.
Neither would I. You could count on him to get out of position on a reguler basis

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 04:09 PM
flyboys15

Bye Goat, never really fell in love with you...

Why are we immediately going back after Foppa for our future plans, undoubtedly he'd be great but may I start the conversation about going after one J.P. Dumont, lose a Briere friend in Goat, bring a Briere friend in Jean Pierre.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post

Why are we immediately going back after Foppa for our future plans, undoubtedly he'd be great but may I start the conversation about going after one J.P. Dumont, lose a Briere friend in Goat, bring a Briere friend in Jean Pierre.
Bringing in quality players should be way higher on our list of priorities than bringing in friends of Briere.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 04:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post

Um, well how about the fact that he's under contract to start?

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 04:54 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
this cap space isnt for UFAS. its to resign smith/carter/richards/coburn/umberger and maybe sign foppa. maybe

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Winston Wolf

One part of me feels bad for Gauthier, the other part is glad he's gone because he sucks and is one of the dirtiest players in the league.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
this cap space isnt for UFAS. its to resign smith/carter/richards/coburn/umberger and maybe sign foppa. maybe
if forsberg signs a one year deal, that space could be used for both.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
If that were the case, he wouldn't be traded until next year.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
If that were the case, he wouldn't be traded until next year.
well we are also pushing the cap this year. this year it makes room for boulerice and dowd. and eases the downie situation.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Terence Peterman

I can't see umberger getting resigned. A dream situation would be to see him really cook with the minutes he gets at the beginning of the season and boost up his trade value a lot, making for a nice deadline move.

I'd be open to seeing Dumont on the Flyers (and obviously Foppa), but what would a Dumont trade consist of?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I can't see umberger getting resigned. A dream situation would be to see him really cook with the minutes he gets at the beginning of the season and boost up his trade value a lot, making for a nice deadline move.

I'd be open to seeing Dumont on the Flyers (and obviously Foppa), but what would a Dumont trade consist of?
The absolute last thing we need is another top-6 winger, I wouldn't mind seeing another offensive d-man in here, but I think Picard will be alright for us, agree with Jester about Guenin though, he's never struck me as NHL level.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

I agree, I think it is key to get Richards, Coburn and Smith re-signed before they hit the market. IMO, Carter's gotta earn it this year. If he still hits the glass on a regular basis, I'm all for sitting back and waiting to see what Lowe's offer sheet to him will garner us.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Mythology

Nobody is talking about goalies. I wonder if the Flyers have any interest in Halak? Nitty hasn't exactly been great, and the depth in the organization basically ends with him. Not exactly a position they are deep in talent.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
I dont think the rumors of the Flyers waiving him all summer helped his value. Everyone knew he was one of 2 of 3 guys who would be waived.
Dont think the Flyers are going to move Umberger. Not with Upshalls injury and not with not knowing how strong Lupuls wrist is going to be a the start of the season.
Im guessing Umberger will be out for the roadtrip anyway.
I honestly did not mind Goat. I like him. I do not think he was given an opportunity here.

Now that he is waived... I would say sign Smith now to a 3-4 years contract and waive Hatcher next year just like Flyers waived Goat.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The absolute last thing we need is another top-6 winger, I wouldn't mind seeing another offensive d-man in here, but I think Picard will be alright for us, agree with Jester about Guenin though, he's never struck me as NHL level.
Can't say I agree with that, especially after his continuous progression as a player.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I also doubt Nate Guenin's future in the NHL. He may be a serviceable 6-7-8, but I don't think he is a long term answer for anything. I think his play was part of the reason Gauthier was waived (throw in Ryan Parent and bringing in Rory Fitzpatrick on a try out), Holmgren was looking for reasons to get rid of Gauthier and kept him around in case he didn't and Guenin gave him a reason.

Quote:
Now that he is waived... I would say sign Smith now to a 3-4 years contract and waive Hatcher next year just like Flyers waived Goat.

Hatcher will not get waived. Believe it or not, he is not regressing as once thought. His play got better as the season went on, and after bringing in Timonen and Smith and with expected improvements of Kukkonen, Picard and most of all Coburn, Hatcher is in the best situation than he was this time in 2005 or 2006.

Old
10-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Hatcher will not get waived. Believe it or not, he is not regressing as once thought. His play got better as the season went on, and after bringing in Timonen and Smith and with expected improvements of Kukkonen, Picard and most of all Coburn, Hatcher is in the best situation than he was this time in 2005 or 2006.
I do not think he improved he will not improve. Hatcher looks better because Coburn does all the skating.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 08:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I do not think he improved he will not improve. Hatcher looks better because Coburn does all the skating.
Coburn doesn't exactly skate like the wind. If you're on the ice you still have to not screw up. Stevens wasn't putting Coburn with Hatcher to make Hatcher a better player....